PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Marsh (Aussie)

splott parker
24-02-22, 18:31
Critical in hospital after heart attack aged 74. Certainly one of the best wicketkeepers ever.

Pearcey3
24-02-22, 18:58
Great player and charismatic too. Hope he pulls through.

the other bob wilson
24-02-22, 19:05
Was nicknamed “Iron gloves” when he first got into the Australian team, but became a fine wicketkeeper and dangerous batsman. He recalled Derek Randall to the crease in a test match in Melbourne as he was walking off thinking his nick had carried - this gave a clue to something which became clear after his retirement, Rodney Marsh was a decent bloke.

Hope he gets through this.

MacAdder
24-02-22, 19:46
Was nicknamed “Iron gloves” when he first got into the Australian team, but became a fine wicketkeeper and dangerous batsman. He recalled Derek Randall to the crease in a test match in Melbourne as he was walking off thinking his nick had carried - this gave a clue to something which became clear after his retirement, Rodney Marsh was a decent bloke.

Hope he gets through this.

Ah, those were the days. Batsmen walked when they nicked it.

One of "the" greats of the game.

Fingers crossed he pulls through.

Hot Shot Hamish.
24-02-22, 20:53
Hope Rod pulls through this. Flinging yourself around 30 yds back to Lillie and Thomson must have been one hell of a job. Get better quickly Rod.

Peajay
25-02-22, 09:54
Sad, that team were my idols growing up in the 70s in South Australia. Marsh, Lillie and Thomo and Ian Chapple. I was lucky enough to visit the Adelaide Oval just before the pandemic a real emotional visit after 43 years.

splott parker
25-02-22, 10:12
Sad, that team were my idols growing up in the 70s in South Australia. Marsh, Lillie and Thomo and Ian Chapple. I was lucky enough to visit the Adelaide Oval just before the pandemic a real emotional visit after 43 years.

Not just cricketing icons, they were muck ‘n’ bullets, don’t give a f*ck personalities than you’d have on your side in any sport.

Majorblue
25-02-22, 13:50
A great player with a huge personality.

One of the players I really looked up too as a youngster along with a few others in that Australia team.

Wasn’t he one of the three who made the bets at the ‘miracle of Headingley’?

the other bob wilson
25-02-22, 14:20
A great player with a huge personality.

One of the players I really looked up too as a youngster along with a few others in that Australia team.

Wasn’t he one of the three who made the bets at the ‘miracle of Headingley’?

Not sure there were three of them, I just thought it was Dennis Lillee and him - England were something like 10,000/1 I seem to remember.

SLUDGE FACTORY
25-02-22, 14:48
Dennis Lillie

Surely the most aerodynamic and economical of bowling actions ?

A very under rated batsman too

The Bloop
25-02-22, 15:00
Not sure there were three of them, I just thought it was Dennis Lillee and him - England were something like 10,000/1 I seem to remember.

Lillie put a tenner on at 500/1 after being talked out of putting £100 on as it was too much money to waste. Rod Marsh bet £5 at the same odds.