PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Cardiff again let down by rank bad defending.

the other bob wilson
27-02-22, 06:46
Collins miss costs illness hit City a point.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Lawnmower
27-02-22, 07:37
Collins miss costs illness hit City a point.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

‘Rank Bad Defending’.. that’s a bit harsh, considering Fulham had only about 2-3 shots on target all afternoon.

I’d say our defence dealt with them well.

As for the the penalty shout. Firstly watching the video, I’m not convinced it hit Flint’s arm. Even if it did, the arm is not exactly sticking out and the cross had deflected up in front of him too.

Bearing in mind what hasn’t been given recently to call that a penalty would be pretty unfair.

Although with the way the ref gave Fulham absolutely everything all afternoon I wouldn’t be surprised!

Didn’t see what happened to Ng.. what was that ?

However the ref refused to book Reid for not retreating at a free kick, and then reacting like a child when Ng rightly kicked the ball at him, which itself should have triggered the yellow card for Reid.

Maybe if he’d had a grip of the game snd the rules then things would have been different.

Agree that Fulham’s defence did well, although they were up against our most powder puff strike force. Would have been interesting if Hughill and Harris/ Davies had started.

the other bob wilson
27-02-22, 07:57
‘Rank Bad Defending’.. that’s a bit harsh, considering Fulham had only about 2-3 shots on target all afternoon.

I’d say our defence dealt with them well.

As for the the penalty shout. Firstly watching the video, I’m not convinced it hit Flint’s arm. Even if it did, the arm is not exactly sticking out and the cross had deflected up in front of him too.

Bearing in mind what hasn’t been given recently to call that a penalty would be pretty unfair.

Although with the way the ref gave Fulham absolutely everything all afternoon I wouldn’t be surprised!

However the ref refused to book Reid for not retreating at a free kick, and then reacting like a child when Ng rightly kicked the ball at him, which itself should have triggered the yellow card for Reid.

Maybe if he’d had a grip of the game snd the rules then things would have been different.

Agree that Fulham’s defence did well, although they were up against our most powder puff strike force. Would have been interesting if Hughill and Harris/ Davies had started.

Our defending has improved a lot in recent weeks, but that was poor yesterday for their winner on two fronts - I see Steve Morison saidthat Flint was blocked off, but he still seems accident prone to me (as does McGuinness). The last two games have been frustrating because they’ve both shown we’ve still got those defensive mistakes in us - Huddersfield and Fulham are clearly good sides, but neither have had to work that hard for their winning goals.

Ng elbowed the Fulham sub - how hard, is a matter of debate, but there was no reason for him to raise his arm at all.

Agree aboutDecodova-Reid, thought he was poor in his performance and attitude and could easily have had a yellow card before the incident you mention for which he definitely deserved one.

Lawnmower
27-02-22, 08:06
Our defending has improved a lot in recent weeks, but that was poor yesterday for their winner on two fronts - I see Steve Morison saidthat Flint was blocked off, but he still seems accident prone to me (as does McGuinness). The last two games have been frustrating because they’ve both shown we’ve still got those defensive mistakes in us - Huddersfield and Fulham are clearly good sides, but neither have had to work that hard for their winning goals.

Ng elbowed the Fulham sub - how hard, is a matter of debate, but there was no reason for him to raise his arm at all.

Agree aboutDecodova-Reid, thought he was poor in his performance and attitude and could easily have had a yellow card before the incident you mention for which he definitely deserved one.

McGuinness has seemed to cut his errors out in recent weeks and Flint looks more comfortable without Nelson next to him - who was almost out of control , throwing himself at everything.

Flint looks awkward as you’d expect for a guy of his size, but I can’t think of many errors recently. At Huddersfield in particular he was outstanding in an excellent defensive display in horrendous conditions.

Yeah, he maybe should have done better with the 2nd goal there, although the cross did seem to get caught in the wind and was missed by everyone. Even then there were 2 others there who were slow to react to the dropping ball.

Since Ng has gone back our defence has looked far, far stronger and the number of goals conceded since is way below what we might have expected. There’s a nice balance there with Ng able to step out cut balls out, even get forward and put crosses in.

He’s doing a great job.

I’ll look out for the elbow - maybe it’ll be shown on highlights. Can’t remember any fuss being made of it at the time, but a couple have brought it up.

J R Hartley
27-02-22, 08:47
Our defending has improved a lot in recent weeks, but that was poor yesterday for their winner on two fronts - I see Steve Morison saidthat Flint was blocked off I.

I’ve just watched the highlights Mitrovic had already lost him, he peeled off the back of him and ran around the traffic whereas Flint reacted a second later and ran into the traffic. It was a well worked corner - both the way they engineered the short corner then cross and the movement in the box.

Lawnmower
27-02-22, 09:13
I’ve just watched the highlights Mitrovic had already lost him, he peeled off the back of him and ran around the traffic whereas Flint reacted a second later and ran into the traffic. It was a well worked corner - both the way they engineered the short corner then cross and the movement in the box.

All a bit small on my phone to tell who was who, but it looked like a half hearted effort to push out.. there’s an appeal for something, but given what goes on in the box these days no chance of that being disallowed.

As you say good movement and well worked

Shame as for the rest of the game we restricted them to just a couple of half chances

ninian opinian
27-02-22, 09:42
On the EFL Quest highlights the pundits highlighted the the incident with Ng and his flailing arm saying that the EFL will want to review it. 3 game ban incoming. That’s if the ref didn’t see it of course.

Dorcus
27-02-22, 10:40
McGuinness has seemed to cut his errors out in recent weeks and Flint looks more comfortable without Nelson next to him - who was almost out of control , throwing himself at everything.

Flint looks awkward as you’d expect for a guy of his size, but I can’t think of many errors recently. At Huddersfield in particular he was outstanding in an excellent defensive display in horrendous conditions.

Yeah, he maybe should have done better with the 2nd goal there, although the cross did seem to get caught in the wind and was missed by everyone. Even then there were 2 others there who were slow to react to the dropping ball.

Since Ng has gone back our defence has looked far, far stronger and the number of goals conceded since is way below what we might have expected. There’s a nice balance there with Ng able to step out cut balls out, even get forward and put crosses in.

He’s doing a great job.

I’ll look out for the elbow - maybe it’ll be shown on highlights. Can’t remember any fuss being made of it at the time, but a couple have brought it up.

There's been a huge improvement in the defence since Nelson has been left out. I hope he stays out.

The Lone Gunman
27-02-22, 10:44

I didn't see it at the time either, but having just watched the highlights it was a blatant red card. A stupid, pointless thing to do and a surprise that the referee missed it. I'd say there's a reasonable chance Ng will get a retrospective ban if the EFL review it.