PDA

View Full Version : The Gloves Are Off ! Great Cardiff City Keepers Of Days Gone By

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-22, 14:41
Lee Smelt

End Of Discussion

Tuerto
27-02-22, 14:47
Good bloke was Lee Smelt. He lived in Pentwyn, close to cyncoed golf course and he would go there and train when it was quiet, sit ups and runs on the fairways. We were always chatting to him and he was great, always made time for us kids. On one occasion myself and another lad who would find golf balls and sell them were collared by a couple of golfers who has accused us of 'Stealing by finding' Smelty gave them a right mouth full and ****ed them off for us, he then bought the balls from us at 25p each :hehe: Absolute hero of mine :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-22, 14:54
Good bloke was Lee Smelt. He lived in Pentwyn, close to cyncoed golf course and he would go there and train when it was quiet, sit ups and runs on the fairways. We were always chatting to him and he was great, always made time for us kids. On one occasion myself and another lad who would find golf balls and sell them were collared by a couple of golfers who has accused us of 'Stealing by finding' Smelty gave them a right mouth full and ****ed them off for us, he then bought the balls from us at 25p each :hehe: Absolute hero of mine :thumbup:

He was a free transfer from Exeter ?

Run of the mill keeper but fine for what we needed at the time

Did Jimmy Mullen sign him ?

I think he lost all his hair as a kid and wore a wig but after a while with us he dropped that idea

He was like Duncan Goodhew

But not in Bathers

Tuerto
27-02-22, 14:59
He was a free transfer from Exeter ?

Run of the mill keeper but fine for what we needed at the time

Did Jimmy Mullen sign him ?

I think he lost all his hair as a kid and wore a wig but after a while with us he dropped that idea

He was like Duncan Goodhew

But not in Bathers

Not sure who signed him, Burrows? Jimmy Mullen was a nice bloke as well. He trained us as schoolboys and he would do this thing where he would hold a big sack and we wouldall take it in turns to chip the ball into the sack from 20 yards or so. Some of the attempts were awful, but jimmy would run towards the ball or to the side etc in order to catch the ball in the sack and then give you a quid for being successful. Brilliant :hehe:

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-22, 15:08
Not sure who signed him, Burrows? Jimmy Mullen was a nice bloke as well. He trained us as schoolboys and he would do this thing where he would hold a big sack and we wouldall take it in turns to chip the ball into the sack from 20 yards or so. Some of the attempts were awful, but jimmy would run towards the ball or to the side etc in order to catch the ball in the sack and then give you a quid for being successful. Brilliant :hehe:

Good bloke

I think it's fair to say he liked a pint post match

Vindec
27-02-22, 15:17
I don't remember him let alone think he was a great keeper.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-22, 15:20
I don't remember him let alone think he was a great keeper.

You got to be in it to win it

J R Hartley
27-02-22, 15:29
Gavin award. End of Fred.

Park Life
27-02-22, 15:50
Roger Hansbury :thumbup:

Ivortheengine
27-02-22, 16:04
Fred Davies
Bob Wilson

Ivortheengine
27-02-22, 16:05
Graham Vearnacombe
Bill Irwin

Maurice Swan
27-02-22, 16:26
Apart from my illustrious alto-ego.....I would say:
Fred Davies
Bill Irwin
...and a local lad from Tonypandy - Dilwyn John

He began his career at Cardiff City, making his debut at the age of seventeen in September 1961 during a 3–2 win over Chelsea.
Ironically it was after a severe 6-0 defeat at Chelsea that he was dropped and (I think) never played for City again, despite him not being at fault for any of the goals.....I know because I was there!!

Just shows...if you are good enough you are old enough....so if Smithies leaves, Phillips is more than capable with backup from George Radcliffe.

Vindec
27-02-22, 16:32
Dilwyn John was allegedly a better snooker player than a goalkeeper.

life on mars
27-02-22, 16:33
Lee Smelt

End Of Discussion

Bit of a smelt around this post .

Ron Healey

Maurice Swan
27-02-22, 16:35
Lee Smelt??? no way....Ron Healey was decent.

Armitage Shanks
27-02-22, 16:39
Shamus Kelly

Vindec
27-02-22, 16:39
Maurice Swan was a decent keeper. My favourite was JIm Eadie.

Former Labour leader
27-02-22, 16:54
Frank Parsons is 😛

NYCBlue
27-02-22, 17:15
Andy Dibble.

Vindec
27-02-22, 17:19
Andy Dibble.

Butterfingers

Maurice Swan
27-02-22, 17:29
Always wonder how he is a goalkeeping coach....

fugsyphil
27-02-22, 17:34
I always liked Hallworth though we got him well past his prime

NYCBlue
27-02-22, 17:40
Mark Grew.

Its been emotional
27-02-22, 18:13
When I first started going down as a nipper
It was
Georgee Wood
Georgee Wood
He's got no hair but
We don't care
Georgee Georgee Wood

Had the longest arms I had ever seen or so they seemed at the time

Des Parrot
27-02-22, 19:36
My first jumpers for goalposts hero, Fred Davies

61adb
27-02-22, 19:54
Peter Zois :hehe:

bobh
27-02-22, 20:11
Jim Eadie
Bill Irwin

olderblue
27-02-22, 20:44
Marshall
Dibble
Healey

MOZZER2
27-02-22, 20:48
Dibble
Ron Healey

splott parker
27-02-22, 20:55
Mel Rees could have been a Welsh regular.

lincoln blue
27-02-22, 21:35
Graham Vearnacombe for me.

Hot Shot Hamish.
27-02-22, 21:50
Not necessarily the best but my favourite and one of the best....Billy Irwin.

binman
27-02-22, 23:17
Lee Smelt was bloody dreadful
He was a free transfer from Halifax if I remember correctly when we were on our knees
He wasn’t even wanted by ruddy Halifax

Best keeper I saw in a City Shirt even if it was for a very short time was Kasper Scmiechal
David Marshall not far behind

Organ Morgan.
28-02-22, 12:26
The late Ron Healey at number one keeper.

George Wood the top character. Best remembered for his heroic stops at an FA Cup replay at Gloucester City. That night would deserve a chapter in a tome detailing the club's glorious hooligan culture of yesteryear. It was an orgy of violence that night. In its wake the Gloucester chairman paid tribute to an element of the travelling support whom he described as "subhuman."

SLUDGE FACTORY
28-02-22, 13:57
The late Ron Healey at number one keeper.

George Wood the top character. Best remembered for his heroic stops at an FA Cup replay at Gloucester City. That night would deserve a chapter in a tome detailing the club's glorious hooligan culture of yesteryear. It was an orgy of violence that night. In its wake the Gloucester chairman paid tribute to an element of the travelling support whom he described as "subhuman."

Absolute Carnage that night

Moodybluebird
28-02-22, 16:35
Apart from my illustrious alto-ego.....I would say:
Fred Davies
Bill Irwin
...and a local lad from Tonypandy - Dilwyn John

He began his career at Cardiff City, making his debut at the age of seventeen in September 1961 during a 3–2 win over Chelsea.
Ironically it was after a severe 6-0 defeat at Chelsea that he was dropped and (I think) never played for City again, despite him not being at fault for any of the goals.....I know because I was there!!

Just shows...if you are good enough you are old enough....so if Smithies leaves, Phillips is more than capable with backup from George Radcliffe.

Same top two as mine Maurice 👍

Parti Mellow
28-02-22, 16:54
Ron Healey.

Bobby Dandruff
28-02-22, 17:48
Jim Eadie
Bill Irwin

:ayatollah:

Cleve van Leef
28-02-22, 18:06
Graham Vearncombe (born locally)
Fred Davies - best keeper of all, without doubt as Sludge would say end of fred

tforturton
28-02-22, 18:08
When I first started going down as a nipper
It was
Georgee Wood
Georgee Wood
He's got no hair but
We don't care
Georgee Georgee Wood

Had the longest arms I had ever seen or so they seemed at the time
Yep, loved Georgie Wood, maybe because he had a good song.
Gavin Ward had a good one too - remember the Wardy wave?

Seabird
28-02-22, 19:37
Sorry to be picky - but Dilwyn John was from Ystrad. His father was the steward of Ystrad Labour Club. Dilwyn was a guest at one of my birthday parties and ended up fighting with everyone.

I believe his father then moved on to Canton Liberal Club.

I suppose it's possible the Dilwtn was born in Tonypandy but I never heard it mentioned.

I think he was too small to be a top keeper, often bullied by opposing forwards.

He certainly was a decent snooker player.

Maurice Swan
01-03-22, 17:05
Sorry to be picky - but Dilwyn John was from Ystrad. His father was the steward of Ystrad Labour Club. Dilwyn was a guest at one of my birthday parties and ended up fighting with everyone.

I believe his father then moved on to Canton Liberal Club.

I suppose it's possible the Dilwtn was born in Tonypandy but I never heard it mentioned.

I think he was too small to be a top keeper, often bullied by opposing forwards.

He certainly was a decent snooker player.

Pretty sure he was BORN in Tonypandy, even though he might have LIVED in Ystrad. It sticks in my mind because at the time I was gainfully employed with the now defunct Midland Bank in Tonypandy(!). Agree he was on the small side, but my goodness he made some tremendous saves. Certainly he went on to a glorious snooker career.

discodaz
02-03-22, 20:43
Halloworth was it qpr the penalty saves

Mr Soul '68
02-03-22, 22:15
Lee Smelt

End Of Discussion

Fred Davies, Ron Healey, Neil Alexander and David Marshall are probably my favourites

BLUETIT
03-03-22, 00:12
Best goalkeeper I ever seen in a Cardiff City shirt, was Neville Southall