PDA

View Full Version : Extended contract for Morison as Cardiff keep on winning the most important matches.

the other bob wilson
02-03-22, 08:18
Ikpeazu bundles in the winner in typical style.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

The Lone Gunman
02-03-22, 08:35
I've only seen brief highlights of last night's game (I was out at a comedy show), but I was interested in these comments:

".....while the recent upturn in results has been heartening, the improved, more attractive, style of football we kept hearing about in Steve Morison’s early days in charge has all but disappeared – we’re seeing more of the sort of stuff that Messrs Slade, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy served up. Even in the impressive performances against Forest and Peterborough, we were happy to sit deep behind the ball and let the opposition have it in a home game – it’s pretty negative stuff."

This pretty much tallies with what I've seen in the recent games I've watched, so I'm a bit bemused by the frequent claims that the team is producing a much better brand of football under Morison. I genuinely haven't seen much evidence of it.

If you look at last night's starting line-up, it's significantly different to the teams McCarthy was sending out earlier in the season, but the football itself, while marginally better, doesn't appear significantly different.

Tuerto
02-03-22, 09:06
I've only seen brief highlights of last night's game (I was out at a comedy show), but I was interested in these comments:

".....while the recent upturn in results has been heartening, the improved, more attractive, style of football we kept hearing about in Steve Morison’s early days in charge has all but disappeared – we’re seeing more of the sort of stuff that Messrs Slade, Warnock, Harris and McCarthy served up. Even in the impressive performances against Forest and Peterborough, we were happy to sit deep behind the ball and let the opposition have it in a home game – it’s pretty negative stuff."

This pretty much tallies with what I've seen in the recent games I've watched, so I'm a bit bemused by the frequent claims that the team is producing a much better brand of football under Morison. I genuinely haven't seen much evidence of it.

If you look at last night's starting line-up, it's significantly different to the teams McCarthy was sending out earlier in the season, but the football itself, while marginally better, doesn't appear significantly different.

It's the starting point I guess. Before morison we had Warnock, Harris and Mick. The footballing equivalent diet of three day old dry toast. We are now at the out of date crisps stage.

dml1954
02-03-22, 09:11
‘Its the starting point I guess. Before morison we had Warnock, Harris and Mick. The footballing equivalent diet of three day old dry toast. We are now at the out of date crisps stage.‘

Very droll. You really do have a downer on ‘your’ club don't you.

Hilts
02-03-22, 10:07

To be fair. Under McCarthy the wing backs didnt attempt to attack. Well we didnt even have wing backs.

We definitely are trying to play more on the ground but we just arent comfortable doing it. Hardly suprising really after all the years of long ball win the battle in midfield tac tics. I dont believe there was 1 long throw last night.

It was evident we were so much better last 25 when our midfield finally got into the game

I really think this was due to Derby being unable to keep up their pressing for 90 minutes so we had more time on the ball.

The sight of MacGuiness and Flint either side of the 6 yard box isnt something youd see at restarts either. Saying that id like to see Denham given a go now as we could do with someone other than Ng who is comfortable on the deck.

The side is what it is a relegation battling outfit. We couldnt expect significant improvements. We were poor on the ball yesterday. But at least we didnt have a flat back 5 of centre backs and the only sign of attacks as long throws and set pieces. This side was never going to be a passing side mid season. But we are more ot less safe when relegation was looking a real possibility.

The Lone Gunman
02-03-22, 10:20
We definitely are trying to play more on the ground but we just arent comfortable doing it. Hardly suprising really after all the years of long ball win the battle in midfield tactics..

And yet if you look at last night's line-up, only the goalkeeper, Flint and Ralls have been in the team for any length of time.

Pedro de la Rosa
02-03-22, 10:41
And yet if you look at last night's line-up, only the goalkeeper, Flint and Ralls have been in the team for any length of time.

This is where it doesn’t tally up. He’s got 3 of his players in, and some good footballers in there. We’ve got a full back in the back 3 so we can play. I don’t think any of the team are horrendous players that can’t make 5/10 yard passes. Certainly when it gets into midfield we should be looking to play.

Rjk
02-03-22, 11:03

Yes, there was clearly initially an attempt to keep the ball more, and play out from the back.

In the last few games it is undeniable that we aren't looking to have a lot of the ball.
We are very direct again, but there is still a lot less aimless hoofing I would say - some of our quick breaks can be quite exciting to watch.

Perhaps it is horses for courses at the moment

Nobody's Rep
02-03-22, 12:19

For me you have left Smithies out of that list and he was slow last night in his decision making on when to give the ball to either Flint or McGuiness and in some instances Ng and chose to drop the ball and "chip up" field when more often than not it didn't find one of ours or it came right back

We missed a number of opportunities to build from the back but when we did we created chances or half chances

I'm happy with progress to date and glad he is being given a chance - a year makes sense as long as they review and renew or not as the case may be based on progress

He admits himself that he has had to learn on the job and for me his interviews in recent weeks have been more measured and thoughtful than previous

All good for me

The Lone Gunman
02-03-22, 12:20
For me you have left Smithies out of that list.....

Is he not the goalkeeper?

Trigger
02-03-22, 13:12
McCarthy did well last season so focusing solely on this season the football is far better under Morison.

But that's coming from watching us whack every ball away with 5 cbs.

We seem in more recent weeks to have decided to drop deeper, press less. Surrendering large amounts of possession not because we necessarily keep giving it away but because we aren't really attempting to win it back in half the pitch, sometimes two thirds.

In terms of the relegation battle it's worked, we are finally keeping clean sheets and winning enough to pull away.

I also think when we do actually get the ball we try to do more with it, we do try to pass out from the cbs far more, the wing backs are having an effect. At times last night later on we did get Doyle far more involved through the middle.

I'd like to think he would be looking to evolve it to the stage where we can press teams harder, retain the ball better. I'd hope we could sign some wingers and maybe not be confined to 352/532 every match.

Overall we are some way behind the pace and movement of most of the division, even the likes of Derby last night played some stuff that seems or is beyond us.

Nobody's Rep
02-03-22, 14:43
Apologies missed that 👍

Rjk
02-03-22, 14:46

I think Mick Mccarthy was probably considering giving him a go at RWB

The Lone Gunman
02-03-22, 15:18
Apologies missed that ��

No worries. It's interesting you mentioned Smithies, though - I've a feeling he's one of the out-of-contract players Morison will be keen to keep if he can. That's a just a hunch. It'll be interesting if he does stay as, like you say, he doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Nobody's Rep
02-03-22, 17:59
No worries. It's interesting you mentioned Smithies, though - I've a feeling he's one of the out-of-contract players Morison will be keen to keep if he can. That's a just a hunch. It'll be interesting if he does stay as, like you say, he doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Based on last night it wasn't just his feet it was his speed of delivery from the hand as well but I suspect he is someone SM will want to keep but isn't he one of our most expensive players wages wise?? So I assume smithies will need to take a sizeable pay cut?

Lawnmower
02-03-22, 18:05
To be fair. Under McCarthy the wing backs didnt attempt to attack. Well we didnt even have wing backs.

We definitely are trying to play more on the ground but we just arent comfortable doing it. Hardly suprising really after all the years of long ball win the battle in midfield tac tics. I dont believe there was 1 long throw last night.

It was evident we were so much better last 25 when our midfield finally got into the game

I really think this was due to Derby being unable to keep up their pressing for 90 minutes so we had more time on the ball.

The sight of MacGuiness and Flint either side of the 6 yard box isnt something youd see at restarts either. Saying that id like to see Denham given a go now as we could do with someone other than Ng who is comfortable on the deck.

The side is what it is a relegation battling outfit. We couldnt expect significant improvements. We were poor on the ball yesterday. But at least we didnt have a flat back 5 of centre backs and the only sign of attacks as long throws and set pieces. This side was never going to be a passing side mid season. But we are more ot less safe when relegation was looking a real possibility.

Apparently. ( I haven’t checked ) we are 5th in the form table over the last 10 games and would be mid table on the results since Morison took over.

Apart from that I agree with your summary of the changes. The other thing is that the keeper is trying to go short. It just doesn’t look comfortable- especially against teams like Derby, Fulham, Huddersfield where they push right up and press the defence high up the pitch.

Somehow though we are picking up decent results, so something must be right. Either tactics or the players are better than they are given credit for

The Lone Gunman
02-03-22, 18:09
Based on last night it wasn't just his feet it was his speed of delivery from the hand as well but I suspect he is someone SM will want to keep but isn't he one of our most expensive players wages wise?? So I assume smithies will need to take a sizeable pay cut?

He's 32 on Saturday, so I guess a two-year deal on reduced wages wouldn't be out of the question. He's played every league game since Morison took charge (McCarthy seemed to favour Dillon Phillips). I think Morison will do what he can to keep him, but as I say that's just a hunch.

Lawnmower
02-03-22, 18:09
Apparently. ( I haven’t checked ) we are 5th in the form table over the last 10 games and would be mid table on the results since Morison took over.

Apart from that I agree with your summary of the changes. The other thing is that the keeper is trying to go short. It just doesn’t look comfortable- especially against teams like Derby, Fulham, Huddersfield where they push right up and press the defence high up the pitch.

Somehow though we are picking up decent results, so something must be right. Either tactics or the players are better than they are given credit for

Think that form table mentioned might be for home games .

9th overall according to this

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:championship/form/matches:10/type:home-and-away/

Lawnmower
02-03-22, 18:12
Yes, there was clearly initially an attempt to keep the ball more, and play out from the back.

In the last few games it is undeniable that we aren't looking to have a lot of the ball.
We are very direct again, but there is still a lot less aimless hoofing I would say - some of our quick breaks can be quite exciting to watch.

Perhaps it is horses for courses at the moment

I also think the last 3 games we’ve played teams who have been playing this way fir ages and in fairness are amongst the best at this level at playing that way