PDA

View Full Version : Players owe Cardiff fans a good performance in a derby game.

the other bob wilson
29-03-22, 04:31
Bristol City we’re probably the better team in their 2-1 win at Cardiff City Stadium in August and we were abysmal in this season’s matches at Ashton Gate and the Liberty Stadium or whatever it’s called these days. While we had been able to maintain parity with the wurzels by winning at their place in the previous two seasons, the first game of the last three years between us and the jacks have seen them win with embarrassing ease and we’ve managed to avoid being doubled with a home non event 0-0 draw in 19/20 and a backs to the wall away win last season in which we scored our only goal against Swansea in our last six meetings with them.

Our recent home record in games with the wurzels and jacks brings to mind our truly dismal home record in Play Off matches - the only goal we’ve scored in our last five home derbies was from a rebound off the Bristol City keeper’s head when the ball was heading away from goal!

Wales again showed last week that they are inspired by playing in big games at Cardiff City Stadium, whereas City’s recent record in big matches on their own ground shows the exact opposite applies to them - why should that be? I don’t have an answer to that question, I’m afraid, I can’t say why Cardiff players don’t score goals when we play against our local rivals on our own ground, but I would say that, particularly against the jacks, the opposition have looked like they “get” the derby more than us.

Maybe the recent influx of Welsh youngsters into the team may lead to City providing more of a derby type performance on Saturday - I’m probably committing heresy in the eyes of many, but I would rather be the victims of that first league double with a performance where we actually turned up for the game (unlike in so many recent games against Swansea and Bristol), than another 0-0 where we end up celebrating keeping what is a pretty meaningless record going - City don’t half owe their fans a performance in a local derby.

UNDERHILL1927
29-03-22, 05:42
Agreed, I’m going into this game with some optimism though, after the 3-0 drubbing I thought the double was a certainty. You’re right though, I’d like to be 4-0 up at HT and be able to relax a little second half please 😂😂

Although the Wrexham result on the weekend has shown anything is possible in football

goats
29-03-22, 05:47
Bristol City we’re probably the better team in their 2-1 win at Cardiff City Stadium in August and we were abysmal in this season’s matches at Ashton Gate and the Liberty Stadium or whatever it’s called these days. While we had been able to maintain parity with the wurzels by winning at their place in the previous two seasons, the first game of the last three years between us and the jacks have seen them win with embarrassing ease and we’ve managed to avoid being doubled with a home non event 0-0 draw in 19/20 and a backs to the wall away win last season in which we scored our only goal against Swansea in our last six meetings with them.

Our recent home record in games with the wurzels and jacks brings to mind our truly dismal home record in Play Off matches - the only goal we’ve scored in our last five home derbies was from a rebound off the Bristol City keeper’s head when the ball was heading away from goal!

Wales again showed last week that they are inspired by playing in big games at Cardiff City Stadium, whereas City’s recent record in big matches on their own ground shows the exact opposite applies to them - why should that be? I don’t have an answer to that question, I’m afraid, I can’t say why Cardiff players don’t score goals when we play against our local rivals on our own ground, but I would say that, particularly against the jacks, the opposition have looked like they “get” the derby more than us.

Maybe the recent influx of Welsh youngsters into the team may lead to City providing more of a derby type performance on Saturday - I’m probably committing heresy in the eyes of many, but I would rather be the victims of that first league double with a performance where we actually turned up for the game (unlike in so many recent games against Swansea and Bristol), than another 0-0 where we end up celebrating keeping what is a pretty meaningless record going - City don’t half owe their fans a performance in a local derby.

For some reason I think this lot will be more than up for it, I can’t recall the last time I thought this. The fact we haven’t beaten them by more than 1 goal in the league since 1965 says it all.

NottinghamBlue
29-03-22, 05:50
Agreed, I’m going into this game with some optimism though, after the 3-0 drubbing I thought the double was a certainty. You’re right though, I’d like to be 4-0 up at HT and be able to relax a little second half please ����

Although the Wrexham result on the weekend has shown anything is possible in football

You obviously weren't at Peterborough!!!

the other bob wilson
29-03-22, 06:21
For some reason I think this lot will be more than up for it, I can’t recall the last time I thought this. The fact we haven’t beaten them by more than 1 goal in the league since 1965 says it all.

That's an amazing stat, thanks for it because it was something that had occurred to me that was worth checking because, apart from the game when Chopra scored twice, nearly all of the wins over the jacks I can recall have been by 1-0.

Grangenders
29-03-22, 09:04
The reason they ‘get’ the Derby is because it probably means more to them than to us. In the build up to these games we often hear from Swansea fans how the whole town is up for this game, whereas most people in Cardiff will not realise there is a football match on this weekend, never mind a Derby game.

dml1954
29-03-22, 09:18
The reason they ‘get’ the Derby is because it probably means more to them than to us. In the build up to these games we often hear from Swansea fans how the whole town is up for this game, whereas most people in Cardiff will not realise there is a football match on this weekend, never mind a Derby game.

Don't agree with this. Derby games, between any teams, are usually tight, tense affairs and form goes out the window. More often than not, one goal wins it. The team with the most expectation and pressure on them from their fans will always likely be the most tense and likely to under perform. Cardiff is the bigger club, so will always be under more pressure. It means more to us than them. A one goal win in a derby, particularly with a late goal, is just as good as a 2-0 or 3-0.

the other bob wilson
29-03-22, 09:39
Don't agree with this. Derby games, between any teams, are usually tight, tense affairs and form goes out the window. More often than not, one goal wins it. The team with the most expectation and pressure on them from their fans will always likely be the most tense and likely to under perform. Cardiff is the bigger club, so will always be under more pressure. It means more to us than them. A one goal win in a derby, particularly with a late goal, is just as good as a 2-0 or 3-0.

It would be good to experience the sort of easy win the jacks have had over us in the first meetings between the teams in each of the last three seasons to put that theory of yours to the test though wouldn’t it.

NYCBlue
29-03-22, 11:37
When was the last time we won a South Wales derby and actually played well?

the other bob wilson
29-03-22, 11:41
When was the last time we won a South Wales derby and actually played well?

I’d say the game at their place when Bellamy scored - we deserved to win the game Caulker scored in as well in the end, so it’s getting towards a decade ago now since we did in my opinion.

NYCBlue
30-03-22, 01:06
I’d say the game at their place when Bellamy scored - we deserved to win the game Caulker scored in as well in the end, so it’s getting towards a decade ago now since we did in my opinion.

That's what I was thinking. But apart from the move that produced the goal, I can't remember if we actually played a good game.

dembethewarrior
30-03-22, 01:21

Come up the valleys. The pubs will be full of people "up for it" :thumbup:

goats
30-03-22, 06:27
Come up the valleys. The pubs will be full of people "up for it" :thumbup:

It’s not on tv so what they doing in the pubs?

the other bob wilson
30-03-22, 06:42
That's what I was thinking. But apart from the move that produced the goal, I can't remember if we actually played a good game.

I think it was a deserved win in the end (the more I think back to last year's victory in Swansea, the more it seems that one wasn't deserved despite us having the better of the first half) - it's a while ago now, but my recollection is that we managed to keep Swansea at arm's length most of the time and looked dangerous going forward throughout.

HiVis
30-03-22, 06:43
Agreed, I’m going into this game with some optimism though, after the 3-0 drubbing I thought the double was a certainty. You’re right though, I’d like to be 4-0 up at HT and be able to relax a little second half please ����

Thank God we're not playing Peterborough

Eric the Half a Bee
30-03-22, 06:56
I think it was a deserved win in the end (the more I think back to last year's victory in Swansea, the more it seems that one wasn't deserved despite us having the better of the first half) - it's a while ago now, but my recollection is that we managed to keep Swansea at arm's length most of the time and looked dangerous going forward throughout.

Indeed. From my recollection we had a go at them from the start. In the earlier fixture that season we sat back and they destroyed us with the amount of possession we let them have.

I'd start with Mark Harris as part of a front two on Saturday. He's got the best work ethic and makes some very good runs. Colwill and Davies can then finish off a weary and bedraggled defence. The pressing and tempo of our attacks without Kieffer Moore is much better.

dembethewarrior
30-03-22, 07:09
It’s not on tv so what they doing in the pubs?

There are more than 30k cardiff fans in Wales you know.

NYCBlue
30-03-22, 09:58

I had worked the previous night and decided to stay up and wait for the game. A bunch of us met up in a bar in the East Village. Many who no longer live in the area. It was before the New York Bluebirds became "official". There were beers and tequila shots. I think it was a 6am kick off. It's all a bit fuzzy.

UNDERHILL1927
30-03-22, 19:19
I was at Peterborough and in hindsight should have said I’ll relax at 14-0 HT

dembethewarrior
30-03-22, 19:27
I was at Peterborough and in hindsight should have said I’ll relax at 14-0 HT

We're a few people I know spending their winnings heavily in the pub that day as we went 4 nil up at half time. Recall a few lads had a bet that looked like it was all but in at h/t then city went and conceded 4 :hehe:

splott parker
30-03-22, 19:35
We're a few people I know spending their winnings heavily in the pub that day as we went 4 nil up at half time. Recall a few lads had a bet that looked like it was all but in at h/t then city went and conceded 4 :hehe:

If the ref hadn’t blown for full time they’d still be banging ‘em in now!

dembethewarrior
30-03-22, 19:50
If the ref hadn’t blown for full time they’d still be banging ‘em in now!

:hehe: