PDA

View Full Version : Everton in the mire

Eric the Half a Bee
06-04-22, 20:25
Lost 3-2 at Burnley. Only a point ahead of them going into a horrendous run of fixtures.

Ivortheengine
06-04-22, 20:39
Lampard doesn’t know what to do to fix it, with the players he has. They are in real trouble. Every game is vital now regardless. Could go right to the wire this one.

City123
06-04-22, 21:31
They still have to play Man Utd, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal

They'll be relying on Burnley being utter shit

Dave Blue
06-04-22, 21:59
They still have to play Man Utd, Leicester, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal

They'll be relying on Burnley being utter shit

That’s probably enough.

Eric the Half a Bee
06-04-22, 22:05
That’s probably enough.

Burnley play Spurs and West Ham from the top of the table. Their fixtures are far kinder than Everton's, plus they have the ability to dig in, which Everton clearly do not have.

the other bob wilson
07-04-22, 03:35
Just like at West Ham on the weekend, Everton played better than I’ve seen them do in general lately, but they got nothing and, given the way Burnley have been struggling in front of goal this season, scoring twice there and still losing is a classic relegation team outcome - i keep on thinking there’s too much quality in their squad and they’re bound to string some results together soon, but if they haven’t done it yet, why should they do so in the next month? Take away their misleadingly bright start under Benitez and their results are as bad as anyone’s in the league.

Eric the Half a Bee
07-04-22, 05:54

At the end of September they beat Norwich and were 5th. This is a league table of results since then. It makes very grim reading for them.

OurManFlint II
07-04-22, 07:17
Just like at West Ham on the weekend, Everton played better than I’ve seen them do in general lately, but they got nothing and, given the way Burnley have been struggling in front of goal this season, scoring twice there and still losing is a classic relegation team outcome - i keep on thinking there’s too much quality in their squad and they’re bound to string some results together soon, but if they haven’t done it yet, why should they do so in the next month? Take away their misleadingly bright start under Benitez and their results are as bad as anyone’s in the league.

The criticism leveled at him at Chelsea was that he didn't know how to defend, when you look at goals conceded at Everton since he's been there, i'd say that a fairly accurate description.
I think they are down.

goats
07-04-22, 07:45
Add a bit of spice to the championship next season

A Quiet Monkfish
07-04-22, 08:11
Re. the two Everton pelanties, the 1st was a slight nudge accompanied by a blatant dive, the second wasn't a foul as the Everton player's leg went into the Burnley player's leg - not the other way around. VAR has completely changed the rules, not enforced them

TWGL1
07-04-22, 08:15
Re. the two Everton pelanties, the 1st was a slight nudge accompanied by a blatant dive, the second wasn't a foul as the Everton player's leg went into the Burnley player's leg - not the other way around. VAR has completely changed the rules, not enforced them

I agree , it appears VAR favours the bigger clubs when it comes to borderline decision’s

Hilts
07-04-22, 08:34
Thought both were clear penalties.

Everton have rubbish defenders. They need a complete new defence even if they go down.

the other bob wilson
07-04-22, 08:40

Agreed.

Rjk
07-04-22, 08:55
lampard has been found out at last, he wasn't great at Derby despite having a very good group of players for this level. wasn't good at Chelsea and made some weird decisions, but the media and fans gave him the easiest ride of any manager in living memory.
he will probably take Everton down

blue matt
07-04-22, 09:10
a big team to be playing in the championship, of course they should piss it, but it'll be fun to watch

City123
07-04-22, 09:27
lampard has been found out at last, he wasn't great at Derby despite having a very good group of players for this level. wasn't good at Chelsea and made some weird decisions, but the media and fans gave him the easiest ride of any manager in living memory.
Unfortunately for Frank this job is a little tougher than realising Harry Wilson & Mason Mount are better than Jamie Hanson and Ikechi Anya

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-04-22, 09:52
As one of the big 5 greedy clubs who formed the Premier league I hope they go down and keep going

NYCBlue
07-04-22, 10:37
Seriously, what did they expect when they hired Lampard? Terrible decision.

chrisp_1927
07-04-22, 10:48
Thought Dyches comments were quite telling, 'I told my players I don't think Everton know how to win' , think that pretty much sums them up. Unbelievable amounts of money wasted . That daft owner must wish he'd found a different hobby. Half a billion lighter and a massive headache

AfricanBluebird
07-04-22, 10:52
Seriously, what did they expect when they hired Lampard? Terrible decision.

Crazy.

He's never had to scrap for anything in his life - as much as Everton fans hated Benitez, good job he accrued points at the start of the season otherwise they would be down.

It would be nice having Everton in the Championship next season.

OurManFlint II
07-04-22, 11:04

Depends where you look and who read/listen too, i think you should phrase that as Match of the Day/Ex England-pundits gave him an easy time. He was ripped to sh1t by lots of journalist on the Guardian Podcast when appointed at Chelsea, even when he had a good run. Phil Neville also got an easy ride by the same bunch.

FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead
07-04-22, 11:12
a big team to be playing in the championship, of course they should piss it, but it'll be fun to watch

I'm not so sure they would. They have the highest wage bill in the PL outside of the "big 6" and I doubt there are many relegation clauses in those contracts. They're also paying for a new stadium, and they're having issues with profitability rules. Unless they can shift 3 quarters of that squad in one transfer window, I think they will have some serious issues.

North Cardiff Blue
07-04-22, 11:21
I'm not so sure they would. They have the highest wage bill in the PL outside of the "big 6" and I doubt there are many relegation clauses in those contracts. They're also paying for a new stadium, and they're having issues with profitability rules. Unless they can shift 3 quarters of that squad in one transfer window, I think they will have some serious issues.

Great I hope they struggle they've had their turn in the top flight!

The Lone Gunman
07-04-22, 11:25
He's never had to scrap for anything in his life....

What a bizarre comment. Lampard was one of the finest players of his generation and is regarded as one of Chelsea's all-time greats. Do you think that just fell into his lap?

Grangenders
07-04-22, 11:28
I think they’ll just about stay up on the basis that they’ll somehow grab an unexpected win at home against one of the big boys.

Sky Sports will then parade Frank Lampard as some kind of genius, to the extent that he’ll be appointed the new England manager after Gareth Southgate is sacked for being eliminated from the World Cup at the group stage after a heavy defeat to Wales in their last group game.

SLUDGE FACTORY
07-04-22, 11:38
What a bizarre comment. Lampard was one of the finest players of his generation and is regarded as one of Chelsea's all-time greats. Do you think that just fell into his lap?

Being the son of a successful footballer and becoming a highly paid footballer is not a scrap compared to what homeless people have to put up with

Now that's a scrap

the other bob wilson
07-04-22, 12:13

I can see what African Bluebird means when it comes to his managerial career - if what’s been claimed about Everton’s wage bill is correct (and I reckon it is), then he’s had jobs with two of the seven biggest clubs in the Premier League and he’s not been in management five years yet, there’s nothing in his CV to merit him being given such high profile jobs.

dembethewarrior
07-04-22, 12:18
I can see what African Bluebird means when it comes to his managerial career - if what’s been claimed about Everton’s wage bill is correct (and I reckon it is), then he’s had jobs with two of the seven biggest clubs in the Premier League and he’s not been in management five years yet, there’s nothing in his CV to merit him being given such high profile jobs.

This is how I read the post as well, his management career.

Ivortheengine
07-04-22, 12:27
Burnley play Spurs and West Ham from the top of the table. Their fixtures are far kinder than Everton's, plus they have the ability to dig in, which Everton clearly do not have.

There are no kind fixtures at this stage of the season

Eric the Half a Bee
07-04-22, 12:33

I'd rather play Norwich and Watford than Man City and Chelsea.

dembethewarrior
07-04-22, 12:36
I'd rather play Norwich and Watford than Man City and Chelsea.

:hehe:

Wash DC Blue
07-04-22, 12:59
My cousin was laughing at our drubbing on Saturday.
He's an Everton fan (Since around 84)....hope that they fall like a stone.

lardy
07-04-22, 13:14

I interpreted it as never having been in a relegation scrap, a fight for survival.

Lampard definitely fought for everything he achieved. Even when he was a youngster, it's said that he trained twice as hard as anyone else in his group. He also had to overcome accusations at Bournemouth that he was only in the team because he was family to Harry Redknapp. There's a good video on YouTube of Redknapp being confronted about lampard at a press conference and telling the journalist that he would play for England.

splott parker
07-04-22, 13:20
I interpreted it as never having been in a relegation scrap, a fight for survival.

Lampard definitely fought for everything he achieved. Even when he was a youngster, it's said that he trained twice as hard as anyone else in his group. He also had to overcome accusations at Bournemouth that he was only in the team because he was family to Harry Redknapp. There's a good video on YouTube of Redknapp being confronted about lampard at a press conference and telling the journalist that he would play for England.

Lampard wasn’t at Bournemouth, his cousin, Jamie Redknapp, was, perhaps you meant him. Lampard’s lower league club was those down west.

lardy
07-04-22, 13:23
Lampard wasn’t at Bournemouth, his cousin, Jamie Redknapp, was, perhaps you meant him. Lampard’s lower league club was those down west.

Sorry yes. It was when Redknapp was at West Ham.

lardy
07-04-22, 13:26
And it was a fan, not a journalist

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is my favourite football video out there. Harry Redknapp’s take on Frank Lampard after a fan said he wasn’t good enough. <a href="https://t.co/tQ1Gn6GKcn">pic.twitter.com/tQ1Gn6GKcn</a></p>&mdash; Kyle Lord (@kyle_lord2) <a href="https://twitter.com/kyle_lord2/status/1256633302582263808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19bluebirds27
07-04-22, 13:56
And did that fan ever resurface and admit how wrong he was?

The Lone Gunman
07-04-22, 14:03

I interpreted "he's never had to scrap for anything in his life" as meaning he's never had to scrap for anything in his life.

IanD
07-04-22, 15:02
If Everton get relegated, Sods Law dictates either the home or away fixture will be on my daughter's wedding day. Trouble is, the in-laws to be are Everton ST (and, indeed share) holders. Tough choice!!

TWGL1
07-04-22, 15:35
It would superb for the championship if they go down , perhaps the biggest team since Tottenham in 1977 ?

splott parker
07-04-22, 16:09
It would superb for the championship if they go down , perhaps the biggest team since Tottenham in 1977 ?

Erm….you’ve forgotten us!!!!!…….Two time European Champions Forest would be a good shout as well.

dembethewarrior
07-04-22, 16:12
Erm….you’ve forgotten us!!!!!…….Two time European Champions Forest would be a good shout as well.

He said "perhaps" and also posed it as a question.

Rjk
07-04-22, 16:18

by the time forest went down they hadn't been a force in English football for some time.
Everton if they do go down is a much bigger deal in my opinion.

J R Hartley
07-04-22, 16:36
by the time forest went down they hadn't been a force in English football for some time.

Everton haven’t been a force since the 80s.

PontBlue
07-04-22, 16:41
I'd be amazed if Everton survive. Their run is is difficult

delmbox
07-04-22, 16:54
Being the son of a successful footballer and becoming a highly paid footballer is not a scrap compared to what homeless people have to put up with

Now that's a scrap

Oh don't be that guy Sludge, you're better than virtue signalling whattaboutery like that. Obviously no one for one second is suggesting that Frank Lampard has had it tougher than homeless people :facepalm:

TWGL1
07-04-22, 17:11
Oh don't be that guy Sludge, you're better than virtue signalling whattaboutery like that. Obviously no one for one second is suggesting that Frank Lampard has had it tougher than homeless people :facepalm:

Agree , but he didn’t start off at Aberbargoed Buds either :hehe:

delmbox
07-04-22, 17:15
Agree , but he didn’t start off at Aberbargoed Buds either :hehe:

Well no but presumably if he had he'd still have risen to the top wouldn't he? WOULDN'T HE?! Shit, we might have stumbled across another "if a tree falls in the forest does it make a noise?" or a "what came first the chicken or the egg?" question here you know :hehe:

TWGL1
07-04-22, 17:20
Well no but presumably if he had he'd still have risen to the top wouldn't he? WOULDN'T HE?! Shit, we might have stumbled across another "if a tree falls in the forest does it make a noise?" or a "what came first the chicken or the egg?" question here you know :hehe:

I’d have him here in place of Morison … but that’s because I like his Mrs :hehe:

B. Oddie
07-04-22, 23:13
Have those rascal Scousers taken to him though, considering he's failing them and is also a Tory?...

NYCBlue
08-04-22, 01:22

They weren't much of a force before going up either. Everton have won the league more times than Chelsea or Man City and have spent well over 100 years in the top flight. It would certainly be a huge deal if they were relegated.

the other bob wilson
08-04-22, 03:01

You try telling Swansea that.

J R Hartley
08-04-22, 10:02
I watched a bit of the Everton game the other night and they were the better team for most of the time I was watching, but it was absolutely farcical the series of events that led to them conceding their 3rd goal. From the right back trying to score a worldy at the other end which got blocked and put them on the back foot, to Pickford slicing a clearance, then Godfrey completely missing his clearance and the ball coming off his standing foot. Same happened against West Ham Sunday, after clawing themselves back into game they lost the ball so cheaply in a dangerous area and were 2-1 down minutes after going 1-1.

They cant keep giving the goals away that they do and expect to stay in the division.

MacAdder
09-04-22, 12:50
Man United making them look like Real Madrid at the moment.

Some massively underperforming talent on my TV.
Ronaldo really does look to have upset the apple cart since his arrival.

Rashford on current form couldn't get in our side!

the other bob wilson
09-04-22, 13:25
Man United making them look like Real Madrid at the moment.

Some massively underperforming talent on my TV.
Ronaldo really does look to have upset the apple cart since his arrival.

Rashford on current form couldn't get in our side!

This season’s Man United are a good side to play if you’re struggling and in a bad run - they’re a soft touch.

Just finished, 1-0 to Everton - some big games at the bottom of the table this weekend have just got bigger.

Ivortheengine
09-04-22, 14:11
Everton are still in the mire. They played a United team who weren’t interested or not even trying. Lampard cannot believe his luck .If Burnley get a result tomorrow of any sort it’s still in the melting pot . Going to the wire this one. Both teams looked like relegation candidates to me. God help the new manager at Old Trafford. They are literally light years away.

Eric the Half a Bee
24-04-22, 14:56
Burnley win again. Everton 2 points adrift but with 2 games in hand. First one at Anfield....

Father Dougal
24-04-22, 15:07
Everton next couple of games quite tricky but after that got some perfect fixtures so they should be fine but they in the mix for sure.

UNDERHILL1927
24-04-22, 15:57
Already seen more fight from Everton than we saw the whole 90 minutes against Swansea

Des Parrot
24-04-22, 16:22
Jose Lampard :hehe:

Referee is having a good game.

life on mars
24-04-22, 16:36
Giving it a go, rather they stay up s there's are weaker teams below them we could beat below them .

life on mars
24-04-22, 16:37
Already seen more fight from Everton than we saw the whole 90 minutes against Swansea

Where's big Dunc

Des Parrot
24-04-22, 16:49
Gordon best player on the pitch. Alexander Arnold having a shocker.

Eric the Half a Bee
24-04-22, 20:04
Everton next couple of games quite tricky but after that got some perfect fixtures so they should be fine but they in the mix for sure.

Everton have the worst form in the PL since their good start. They certainly haven't got any perfect fixtures. If they are still in the bottom 3 by the last game of the season, they have to go to Arsenal, who might need a win for a Champions League place. They're in trouble, even with a game in hand.

Burnley are the team with some confidence. Everton will not want the gap to get any bigger. I'll stick my neck out and suggest that, if Everton are 5 points adrift after the next lot of games, they're gone. The pressure will be too much.

splott parker
24-04-22, 20:15
I wonder if that pelanty miss at West Ham will come back and bite Burnley on the arse? Would have gone in a half time two up.

Eric the Half a Bee
24-04-22, 20:25
I wonder if that pelanty miss at West Ham will come back and bite Burnley on the arse? Would have gone in a half time two up.

Their goal difference is 5 better than Everton's. I doubt it, unless Everton suddenly score loads.

Hilts
24-04-22, 20:28
Just seen Burnley have 5 games left. 2 of those are against Villa.!!

splott parker
24-04-22, 20:39
Their goal difference is 5 better than Everton's. I doubt it, unless Everton suddenly score loads.

Good chance it would have been two extra points though seeing as West Ham only got the one second half goal to equalise.

+ the native hipster
24-04-22, 23:38

Now that's a scrap

he was a fu,, awful player in his early days if you saw his embarrassing displays at swansea he had no chance, but he worked at his game took advice and learned , listened to to the help he was given and became the most improved player i have ever seen. just saying.

the other bob wilson
25-04-22, 06:23
Burnley have to stay up for their gamble to work, but two games in they don't seem to be missing Dyche at all (I thought sacking him was a mad decision). Everton showed a few promising signs yesterday and their support, which has had a negative effect over the season I'd say, could become their twelfth man if the team finally start giving them something to get cling on to. The thing is though, if Everton couldn't get up for the derby game you'd have to wonder what would get a response from that group of players? Looking at the remaining fixtures, I think Everton will really struggle to overhaul Burnley and it may be that a Leeds defeat tonight might offer them a better chance of getting out of the bottom three. After tonight, Leeds' next three matches are against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

splott parker
25-04-22, 06:45
Burnley have to stay up for their gamble to work, but two games in they don't seem to be missing Dyche at all (I thought sacking him was a mad decision). Everton showed a few promising signs yesterday and their support, which has had a negative effect over the season I'd say, could become their twelfth man if the team finally start giving them something to get cling on to. The thing is though, if Everton couldn't get up for the derby game you'd have to wonder what would get a response from that group of players? Looking at the remaining fixtures, I think Everton will really struggle to overhaul Burnley and it may be that a Leeds defeat tonight might offer them a better chance of getting out of the bottom three. After tonight, Leeds' next three matches are against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Now there’s something, Leeds getting relegated would cheer up a dismal season.

tforturton
25-04-22, 18:14
Everton were never going to beat Liverpool. Let's be realistic, every other side has found it a near-impossible task, so what chance did Everton have? They do have two games in hand over Burnley, so you'd think they would have a good chance of staying up. But losing is a hard habit to break (ask Mick McCarthy), and I'm not sure Lampard has the first idea what to do about it.

Eric the Half a Bee
25-04-22, 19:34
They do have two games in hand over Burnley