PDA

View Full Version : Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Peajay
31-07-22, 16:00
I'm in San Fran for a week in September and have booked club level tickets to watch the Giants.

Anyone Been To Oracle Park ?

tomcat
31-07-22, 17:11
I'm in San Fran for a week in September and have booked club level tickets to watch the Giants.

I went with the family to see a Blue Jays game and it was boring most of the time. They put live footage of several scantily clad female dancers on the big screen during the breaks, and had a DJ. Most of the fans seemed to be there for the footlong hotdogs and beer,😂

NYCBlue
31-07-22, 17:30
If you're not into baseball or don't really understand it, don't bother. It's a long night. And expensive. Oracle Park is nice though. Home runs can go out of the park and into the bay.

NYCBlue
31-07-22, 17:32
I went with the family to see a Blue Jays game and it was boring most of the time. They put live footage of several scantily clad female dancers on the big screen during the breaks, and had a DJ. Most of the fans seemed to be there for the footlong hotdogs and beer,��

If all you wanted was hot dogs and beer, a ballpark is absolutely the last place you would go. Ridiculously expensive.

life on mars
31-07-22, 17:38
nope

Madlock
31-07-22, 18:16
Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs is on my list of sporting venues I’d like to visit

SLUDGE FACTORY
31-07-22, 18:26
I have never seen it live but like basketball , American football and ice hockey it's utter bollocks

Someone walking down the street in this country in a Boston red sox replica Jersey is lost or very odd

Enoch Mort
31-07-22, 18:27
My only visit to see the New York Mets play was in the company of my wife’s cousin who lives in Hoboken. Had he not been there explaining the finer points and what was happening I probably wouldn’t have had a clue what was going on and been bored to tears. Especially as it was a low scoring game short on incident.

SOXY BOY
31-07-22, 21:10
I went to watch San Diego v San Francisco in San Diego a couple of years ago, with my wife and son and we all enjoyed it. It was expensive mind, I think a can of beer was 11 dollars ? The guy wouldn’t sell my wife the beer because she didn’t have ID and she was 48 at the time and some guy in the queue had to get it for her. We booked to go and watch the Boston Red Sox but the holiday was cancelled because of Covid.

NYCBlue
31-07-22, 21:19
Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs is on my list of sporting venues I’d like to visit

An afternoon at Wrigley, or Fenway, a dog and a beer or two is a fantastic experience. You have to love the game and understand the history though.

Watch Field of Dreams. If it moves you, then go for it.

SLUDGE FACTORY
31-07-22, 21:24
An afternoon at Wrigley, or Fenway, a dog and a beer or two is a fantastic experience. You have to love the game and understand the history though.

Is beer in America basically lager ?

cityhammer
31-07-22, 21:48

Been there a few times, but don't think its ever been called the same any time ive been, was AT&T Park then something else, and maybe something else the 3rd time. Its a fantastic stadium, worth going just to say you've been there. Last time i was there was on my 50th birthday and saw a grand slam!

chrisp_1927
31-07-22, 21:58
Personally I love it. Can see how it would be a hard watch for non fans though. Might be worth having a read through some of the basics just so you know what is going in.

It's a pitching oriented game, so expect more defensive than hitting action.

NYCBlue
01-08-22, 00:48
Is beer in America basically lager ?

No. it used to be that way. But now there are all these weird microbreweries that make all kinds of weird shit. IPAs that are way too hoppy, darks that are 8%. It's quite ridiculous. Most Americans still drink crap though.

Carl Dale's Mole
01-08-22, 02:52
I've been to one baseball game (minor leagues) and one basketball game (Knicks at MSG) and even though I prefer basketball as a sport, I had a better time at the baseball. That's just because I liked walking around with a beer and hot dog. The game was secondary. The experience of the whole thing - the actual game, the food, the atmosphere, the mascots, the crowd games, the view, the U S A - was just better at the baseball.

Blue Tone
01-08-22, 05:03
I’m off to New York next weekend and bought tickets for the Mets v the Braves on Sunday and looking forward to it.

I’ve been to Fenway to watch the Red Sox and saw the Yankees v the Red Sox at the West Ham ground the other year so I understand baseball although the rules aren’t that complicated

I like all American sport and when I’m in the States I generally go to an NBA or NFL game
I enjoy the day with a few beers and a hot dog watching sport especially at the basketball as there’s loads going on during time outs and halt time etc

Jeff Mansfield
01-08-22, 10:24
you can catch a live game weekly on the MLB channel on youtube, including recordings of previous games, so you can get a feel for it if you don't know it. The jargon takes some getting used to. Try this link for some background.. I wouldn't watch it live without knowing at least the basics. It's a great sport IMHO. Anyone beats anyone, really.

The fans like to do 'tailgate parties'. They turn up into their huge carparks with the SUV loaded with a barbie, burgers, beer, chairs etc and have a get-together. They'd most likely welcome you.

https://www.howbaseballworks.com/TheBasics.htm

Taffster
01-08-22, 10:34
I first went in ‘06 and saw the Yankees play Kansas City.
Loved it.
The atmosphere was great. The crowds leading up to the stadium reminded me of 6Nations game and once inside it was like an ODI.
It was a high scoring game so plenty to see.
I’ve been back since and watched loads of games. That first experience definitely got me interested.
Take in the full culture. The beers (yeah might be a touch pricy) the food, the Crackerjack, the 7th Inning Stretch. Chat to the locals - wear your City shirt, it’ll get noticed - especially those next to you who can help with some of the subtleties of the game.
The game itself will probably be long, and a little slow. But the speed of the action in the big plays is electric with fielding skills way above what we see in cricket.

Jeff Mansfield
01-08-22, 10:59
I first went in ‘06 and saw the Yankees play Kansas City.
Loved it.
The atmosphere was great. The crowds leading up to the stadium reminded me of 6Nations game and once inside it was like an ODI.
It was a high scoring game so plenty to see.
I’ve been back since and watched loads of games. That first experience definitely got me interested.
Take in the full culture. The beers (yeah might be a touch pricy) the food, the Crackerjack, the 7th Inning Stretch. Chat to the locals - wear your City shirt, it’ll get noticed - especially those next to you who can help with some of the subtleties of the game.
The game itself will probably be long, and a little slow. But the speed of the action in the big plays is electric with fielding skills way above what we see in cricket.

Just how I see it. The breaks between innings are for the TV ads and they slow it down, but in youtube you don''t get them. They are always searching for ways to speed the game up as they are losing fans. I mostly like the Mets as they rebuilt a new team after the Brooklyn Dodgers and Giants were taken away from them. Some fan power there. They really hate foreigners who say they are Yankees fans!

Jeff Mansfield
01-08-22, 11:02
Just wondering if there's enough of us to ask Mike to set up a Baseball sub-forum here. After all it's not so long since we had our own version of baseball, fondly remembered. Whadda ya think Mike?:wales:

Taffster
01-08-22, 11:07
They really hate foreigners who say they are Yankees fans!

I know 🤣

Been back to see the Mets too at Citi Park. Worth going just for the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

However, I’ve been back to see NYY too at the new stadium. And got to say it was a better experience all round. A better experience walking up to the ground, place is steeped in history, the ground is fantastic, the Yankees weren’t playing the Marlins (God, they are bad!!) and the locals were more chatty at Yankee stadium than Citi Park.

Also saw the Mets play the Nationals. Cheered the Mets on, obviously.

Week later went to DC and saw the Nationals play the Brewers. In the first innings the team in the grey kit hit a huge home run. So I cheered loudly and enthusiastically. Only the Nationals weren’t wearing grey this time. 🙄

It’s easy to move stands at Nationals Park.

Bobby Dandruff
01-08-22, 11:16

We (the whole family) went to see the Dodgers when we were in the US a few years back and surprisingly all found it quite dull (and my eldest son is a sports journalist and loves American sport).

I'm glad that we went but I wouldn't be desperate to go again or say that you'll love it. It is worth seeing as a traditional US pastime, but not much more than that. And it goes on......

Probably exactly like an American going to a cricket match!

PhyllisStant
01-08-22, 12:55
saw the Yankees play a while back and was bored rigid. I think part of the issue was a lack of real atmosphere due to there being few away fans in US sport. On the other hand I watched the Philly Flyers play the New York Rangers (Ice Hockey) in Philly a couple of years ago and that was superb. Great sport, great show, and a bit of banter between the fans as they are local rivals.

Harry Lime
01-08-22, 13:35
Definitely go. I've been following the Giants for over 30 years, long story. Oracle Park is rated as one of the best in MLB. The only problem is that they probably won't have much to play for by September. The season has fallen away badly after winning 107 games last season, the most in baseball.
I've never been to Oracle, I went to their old stadium at Candlestick Park but that was for an NFL game. I have been to Fenway Park which is full of character. Oracle is too, just several decades newer.

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-08-22, 14:09
Definitely go. I've been following the Giants for over 30 years, long story. Oracle Park is rated as one of the best in MLB. The only problem is that they probably won't have much to play for by September. The season has fallen away badly after winning 107 games last season, the most in baseball.
I've never been to Oracle, I went to their old stadium at Candlestick Park but that was for an NFL game. I have been to Fenway Park which is full of character. Oracle is too, just several decades newer.

The giants are new York?

Do you follow the American football side too ? 🤔

Pearcey3
01-08-22, 15:28
Saw a women’s basketball match at Madison Square Gardens four years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Harry Lime
01-08-22, 15:34
The giants are new York?

Do you follow the American football side too ? 🤔

The Giants MLB team are the San Francisco Giants. They used to be in New York until 1958 but them and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved West around the same time, the Dodgers went to LA.
The NY Giants are the NFL team, although they play in New Jersey. Strange lot aren't they.
Yes I do follow the NFL - 49ers fan since NFL first came onto Channel 4. I like San Francisco you may have gathered by this. Good fishing there too

Dobbo
01-08-22, 15:58
So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.

CopenhagenBlue
01-08-22, 16:14
So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.
Yeah ice hockey is fantastic as a spectator sport. Rules are relatively straight forward and it's action all the way through. I got into it 5 or so years ago after a trip to Canada and saw the Leafs while in Toronto. Went to see the Kings when in LA a few years ago too, which was also great.
However, I saw the Clippers play Golden State at Staples Center on my first visit to the States in 2012 and fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. Impressive skills no doubt, but I found basketball pretty boring.

CopenhagenBlue
01-08-22, 16:16
Yeah ice hockey is fantastic as a spectator sport. Rules are relatively straight forward and it's action all the way through. I got into it 5 or so years ago after a trip to Canada and saw the Leafs while in Toronto. Went to see the Kings when in LA a few years ago too, which was also great. The skill coupled with the speed is just unbelievable.
However, I saw the Clippers play Golden State at Staples Center on my first visit to the States in 2012 and fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. Impressive skills no doubt, but I found basketball pretty boring.

jimmyscoular
01-08-22, 17:34
If you're not into baseball or don't really understand it, don't bother. It's a long night. And expensive. Oracle Park is nice though. Home runs can go out of the park and into the bay.

I've been to many American baseball games. Obviously, it helps if you understand what's going on. Baseball is a very studied, mathematical game, advancing through nine innings, three outs per innings, four balls or three strikes on each batter. It's slow but methodical, a bit like cricket in that sense. When I go I usually take a book, and glance up when things get scary, like when the pitcher is trying to dig out of a bases loaded, no-outs situation, always interesting.

And then there are the oddities. I took my dad to a game once and he wanted to know why the pitcher deliberately threw the batter four balls (bads), thus conceding first base. "He walked him," I said. "What's that?" "He's a very good hitter, and they're afraid that if they throw him something he can hit, he'll hit it out of the park. So they gave up first base instead of potentially something worse."

He was amazed. Thought it was cheating.

Michael Morris
01-08-22, 19:56
Just wondering if there's enough of us to ask Mike to set up a Baseball sub-forum here. After all it's not so long since we had our own version of baseball, fondly remembered. Whadda ya think Mike?:wales:

I don't think it'll take off enough to require a forum of it's own. Maybe an MLB thread like the Glammy one.

Only live sport I've seen in the USA was Brooklyn Nets v Washington basketball in Brooklyn. Glad I experienced it.

I like baseball but it can be a bit tedious. I like NFL as well.

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-08-22, 20:04

I personally find ice hockey boring . I also find basketball boring . Horse Racing , I think that's boring too .

The commonwealth games is hard work as well .

If people are into ice hockey more power to them but I find it completely tedious.

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-08-22, 20:06
The Giants MLB team are the San Francisco Giants. They used to be in New York until 1958 but them and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved West around the same time, the Dodgers went to LA.
The NY Giants are the NFL team, although they play in New Jersey. Strange lot aren't they.
Yes I do follow the NFL - 49ers fan since NFL first came onto Channel 4. I like San Francisco you may have gathered by this. Good fishing there too

Do places like Oakland have a team or are they under the 49ners wing ?

cityhammer
01-08-22, 20:58

In NFL the raiders have moved between Oakland and LA a couple of times, but now in Las Vegas.

Des Parrot
01-08-22, 21:13

It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

cityhammer
01-08-22, 21:17
It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

I love Ken whatshisface's documentary on baseball, and theres a good one all about Ebbets field on Netflix too. Battered Bastards of baseball is a cracker tho.

Des Parrot
01-08-22, 21:19
In NFL the raiders have moved between Oakland and LA a couple of times, but now in Las Vegas.

The thread started with the Giants who spent 8 decades in New York before moving to SF in the 50’s, they’re 140 years old!

NYCBlue
01-08-22, 21:33

:hehe:

I seen it so many times. I still get choked up at the end when he says "dad, do you wanna have a catch?".

NYCBlue
01-08-22, 21:36

Oakland has a baseball team. The Oakland As. Formerly the Philadephia Athletics.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
02-08-22, 04:19
The thread started with the Giants who spent 8 decades in New York before moving to SF in the 50’s, they’re 140 years old!

How can a team spend eighty years playing in such a fantastic city as New York, just up sticks and move right across the country to another state, it defies belief!
They would have surely built up a loyal fanbase during that time, along with merchandise of the club throughout the city.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-08-22, 06:32
I love Ken whatshisface's documentary on baseball, and theres a good one all about Ebbets field on Netflix too. Battered Bastards of baseball is a cracker tho.

Burns? If so, he's an excellent documentary maker. The American Civil War, The West, Country Music and a lot else.

Taunton Blue Genie
02-08-22, 06:33
How can a team spend eighty years playing in such a fantastic city as New York, just up sticks and move right across the country to another state, it defies belief!
They would have surely built up a loyal fanbase during that time, along with merchandise of the club throughout the city.

The word 'Franchise' says it all. The dollar means more than tradition in many ways in the States.

Harry Lime
02-08-22, 06:36

By the end of the1950s their attendances had dropped and the Polo Grounds where they played in upper Harlem was in a bad state of disrepair. This was in spite of them winning the world series in 54 and having Willie Mays on the team, often rated as one of the greatest players ever. The people running baseball were keen to see expansion too as there weren't any teams west of St Louis.

Des Parrot
02-08-22, 17:35
By the end of the1950s their attendances had dropped and the Polo Grounds where they played in upper Harlem was in a bad state of disrepair. This was in spite of them winning the world series in 54 and having Willie Mays on the team, often rated as one of the greatest players ever. The people running baseball were keen to see expansion too as there weren't any teams west of St Louis.

& they followed the Dodgers who went to LA. NY went from 3 teams to 1

Des Parrot
02-08-22, 17:39
Burns? If so, he's an excellent documentary maker. The American Civil War, The West, Country Music and a lot else.

Excellent, thanks for the lead, plenty to look at there.

https://kenburns.com/the-films/

Cardiff Ultra
02-08-22, 18:17
Yeah it's bloody great. I've been to a few games in Philly NY and Chicago and loved it. Never been to Oracle but a good mate of mine has and he loved it. IMHO it's the quintessential American sporting experience, there's nothing quite like belting out Take Me Out To The Ballgame in the 7th innings stretch.

The pace is similar to cricket, its quite relaxed with lots of breaks punctuated by occasional outstanding athletic feats. Unless you're going to a playoff game or a pennant games, it won't be that busy and you can mill around and pretty much sit where you like. Booze and food and be expensive but they often have promotions and freebies.

Kind of Blue
02-08-22, 20:32
It’s the only “North American” sport I’m really into. Got into it by pure chance in my student days in the early 00s via Channel Five and got hooked. They had an endearing crew covering between innings in a slightly ramshackle and irreverent style, made up of British and ex-pat Americans/Canadians. Nice nostalgic write up here: https://theathletic.com/1040282/2019/06/27/there-was-a-sort-of-irreverence-about-it-all-how-a-late-night-british-mlb-show-became-a-cult-obsession-in-the-early-2000s/?amp=1

Followed the show until it sadly went off air in the late 00s. Lost touch with the game until a few years back and have got back into it again. Watch a game a week, give or take, and listen to Baseball Tonight a few times a week.

Wish BT Sport would resurrect something similar to the C5 setup for a UK audience now they have the rights.

It’s a big sport in Japan too and worth going to watch a game there should the chance present itself, bit of a different atmosphere and experience.

MOZZER2
02-08-22, 20:36
It’s the only “North American” sport I’m really into. Got into it by pure chance in my student days in the early 00s via Channel Five and got hooked. They had an endearing crew covering between innings in a slightly ramshackle and irreverent style, made up of British and ex-pat Americans/Canadians. Nice nostalgic write up here: https://theathletic.com/1040282/2019/06/27/there-was-a-sort-of-irreverence-about-it-all-how-a-late-night-british-mlb-show-became-a-cult-obsession-in-the-early-2000s/?amp=1

Followed the show until it sadly went off air in the late 00s. Lost touch with the game until a few years back and have got back into it again. Watch a game a week, give or take, and listen to Baseball Tonight a few times a week.

Wish BT Sport would resurrect something similar to the C5 setup for a UK audience now they have the rights.

It’s a big sport in Japan too and worth going to watch a game there should the chance present itself, bit of a different atmosphere and experience.

very big in South Korea too

Barmy
02-08-22, 22:04
Glad I saw a game at Yankies stadium, for the overall experience.
The game was shite and way too long.
Once was enough.

StraightOuttaCanton
02-08-22, 23:28
Every one of the North American sports is a great day/night out. Baseball by far the cheapest and longest. Helps dramatically if you have a basic understanding (I love the strategic nuances of MLB & NFL). It helps even more if you’re emotionally invested in a team. Fortunately I am as Toronto has everything but an NFL team, but Fantasy Football more than makes up for that. I thought the Fantasy Premier League was good but the NFL version is SO much better

Harry Lime
03-08-22, 14:06
& they followed the Dodgers who went to LA. NY went from 3 teams to 1

Yep for the next 11 years the Yankees was the only game in town. The Mets have strong support there now but it always seems like a Yankee city

G rangetown Blue
06-08-22, 08:39
I watch 10 min highlights on You Tube (almost) every day…..got a “free bet” on the Mets to win the World Series …Go Mets !

cityhammer
06-08-22, 09:29
I watch 10 min highlights on You Tube (almost) every day…..got a “free bet” on the Mets to win the World Series …Go Mets !

If I was a betting man, my money would be on a Yankees v Dodgers World Series.

G rangetown Blue
06-08-22, 10:42
If I was a betting man, my money would be on a Yankees v Dodgers World Series.

Yeah, that’s probably favourite…although the Mets did ‘sweep’ the Yankees recently :thumbup:

Grangenders
06-08-22, 10:57

There is a regular season game being played in August on the actual site where the film was made. They did it for the first time last season and it was a great watch for any fans of the film

G rangetown Blue
06-08-22, 12:03
I’ve been lucky enough to visit several MLB stadiums, and a little tip is to buy the cheapest ticket you can, as the stadiums are rarely full, and you can just walk around the promenade and watch the game, and very often sit where you want after a few innings.

NYCBlue
06-08-22, 12:20
Yep for the next 11 years the Yankees was the only game in town. The Mets have strong support there now but it always seems like a Yankee city

The Dodgers' last game in Brooklyn was in 1957. The Mets started playing in 1962 and had their own brand new stadium by 1964. That was the main reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn, which is the most common reason for any sports franchise in the US relocating: they wanted a new stadium.

Taffster
06-08-22, 12:48

I had the good fortune to visit Japan a few years ago and took the opportunity to watch games there too.

The atmosphere at them was fantastic.

Saw a game at the Tokyo Dome where the Giants played (They’re not called Tokyo, but Yomiuri Giants) What a brilliant venue. There were playing a team from the far side of Japan. The away fans were something else, didn’t shut up all game.

I also saw a Tokyo derby at the Swallows’s stadium. That was a great game. Amazing atmosphere. Ground was a sell out, ground was split 50-50 with each set of fans. The noise did not relent all game. One of the beat atmosphere’s I’ve ever experienced at a sports game. Would definitely go back to watch another.

StraightOuttaCanton
06-08-22, 12:56
There is a regular season game being played in August on the actual site where the film was made. They did it for the first time last season and it was a great watch for any fans of the film

They did the whole thing exceptionally well. Loved the fact that the players entered the field of play by coming out of the surrounding corn field

NYCBlue
06-08-22, 13:28
They did the whole thing exceptionally well. Loved the fact that the players entered the field of play by coming out of the surrounding corn field

Face value for tickets was around $400, but apparently, the average paid by those in attendance was closer to $1500!

Grangenders
08-08-22, 10:47
Spent a year in New Jersey and my American mates were big Yankees fans so went to quite a few games with them. Loved the match day experience, drinking beers in the sun. At first my knowledge of the game was zero so didn’t quite enjoy the action but after a few games I got into more and more. What changed for me was when the play offs began - it was like a different sport. Unlike the regular season (180+ games?) where a defeat isn’t the end of the world as you play again the next day, the play offs game were tense and exciting where every pitch was scrutinised. Best of 7 games in the “semi final” and “final” meant huge and constant coverage as the week went on.

NYCBlue
08-08-22, 11:01
Spent a year in New Jersey and my American mates were big Yankees fans so went to quite a few games with them. Loved the match day experience, drinking beers in the sun. At first my knowledge of the game was zero so didn’t quite enjoy the action but after a few games I got into more and more. What changed for me was when the play offs began - it was like a different sport. Unlike the regular season (180+ games?) where a defeat isn’t the end of the world as you play again the next day, the play offs game were tense and exciting where every pitch was scrutinised. Best of 7 games in the “semi final” and “final” meant huge and constant coverage as the week went on.

Agreed. Playoff baseball is a whole different animal. Losing in the regular season, especially before September is very much a case, "oh well, try again tomorrow". The excitement in postseason games is palpable.

Harry Lime
08-08-22, 11:32
The Dodgers' last game in Brooklyn was in 1957. The Mets started playing in 1962 and had their own brand new stadium by 1964. That was the main reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn, which is the most common reason for any sports franchise in the US relocating: they wanted a new stadium.
Yep sorry I was listening to a podcast the other day about the 1969 'miracle Mets' the date stuck in my head