PDA

View Full Version : Our attack - early days but reasons to be concerned?

Eric the Half a Bee
21-08-22, 21:10
Here are a few of our attempts statistics and our divisional ranks:

Shots per game - 21st
Shots on target per game - 22nd
Percentage of attempts inside the penalty area - 23rd
Percentage of attempts from outside the box - 4th
Percentage of shots on target - 12th
Attempts on target per game - 22nd
Goals per attempt - 18th
Goals per attempt on target - 19th

3 goals scored in 5 games is the 2nd worst tally in the division, shared with two sides who have played less games than us.

Preston have scored only 1 all season but this is something of a surprise. They're ranked 4th in terms of attempts, 5th in terms of attempts on target and 7th in terms of attempts inside the 6 yard box.

Swansea, for all of their possession, have yet to have a single chance in the 6 yard box.

UNDERHILL1927
21-08-22, 21:14
Very concerning, especially if the defence has some more off days

Eric the Half a Bee
21-08-22, 21:17
Very concerning, especially if the defence has some more off days

I totally get it that we'll have games like today. We're playing a different way, lots of new players etc. Today we looked as if we hadn't played much together before.

islandblue
21-08-22, 21:41
Every reason to be concerned. Morison obviously didn't rate Watters, Harris and Collins back in January so he brought in Hugill and Uche on loan who made a big difference. Why does he think seven months later Watters and Harris will now be good enough when they clearly aren't. Hard to see many goals coming from the rest of the side as well.

LeningradCowboy
21-08-22, 21:50
Here are a few of our attempts statistics and our divisional ranks:

Shots per game - 21st
Shots on target per game - 22nd
Percentage of attempts inside the penalty area - 23rd
Percentage of attempts from outside the box - 4th
Percentage of shots on target - 12th
Attempts on target per game - 22nd
Goals per attempt - 18th
Goals per attempt on target - 19th

3 goals scored in 5 games is the 2nd worst tally in the division, shared with two sides who have played less games than us.

Preston have scored only 1 all season but this is something of a surprise. They're ranked 4th in terms of attempts, 5th in terms of attempts on target and 7th in terms of attempts inside the 6 yard box.

Swansea, for all of their possession, have yet to have a single chance in the 6 yard box.

I thought this was noticeable in the second half today. We often had no players in the Bristol penalty area when we were attacking. Harris and Watters were drifting wide and our midfielders weren't making any runs into the box.

Ninja
21-08-22, 21:51
Every reason to be concerned. Morison obviously didn't rate Watters, Harris and Collins back in January so he brought in Hugill and Uche on loan who made a big difference. Why does he think seven months later Watters and Harris will now be good enough when they clearly aren't. Hard to see many goals coming from the rest of the side as well.

This!
I'm not convinced he trusts either, but as we know, strikers are hardest to bring in.
I have a sneaky feeling that he may have had a few on his list that he's not been able to get, and we're down to shopping in the loan market, which obviously means waiting to see what's what when clubs have done their business.

If Etete is a project, fair enough. However, we still clearly need two more as well as him and we seem to be running short of options.

Let's just prey he's got a couple of very decent surprises up his sleeve. If not, we're looking like we have big problems up front.

North Cardiff Blue
22-08-22, 09:26
I totally get it that we'll have games like today. We're playing a different way, lots of new players etc. Today we looked as if we hadn't played much together before.

I think we are so obsessed with possession we are overplaying and afraid to shoot some of the time, waiting for the perfect opportunity, and then when that does come Watters misses it!

North Cardiff Blue
22-08-22, 09:29
This!
I'm not convinced he trusts either, but as we know, strikers are hardest to bring in.
I have a sneaky feeling that he may have had a few on his list that he's not been able to get, and we're down to shopping in the loan market, which obviously means waiting to see what's what when clubs have done their business.

If Etete is a project, fair enough. However, we still clearly need two more as well as him and we seem to be running short of options.

Let's just prey he's got a couple of very decent surprises up his sleeve. If not, we're looking like we have big problems up front.

He doesn't trust them a bit, he is desparately trying to get two in, only a week or so to wait and we'll see who he can loan?

2b2bdoo
22-08-22, 09:49
Interestingly thought I feel we are still making good chances. Confidence is vital but we really need that striker.

North Cardiff Blue
22-08-22, 09:51
Interestingly thought I feel we are still making good chances. Confidence is vital but we really need that striker.

Steve Morison was asked any news on a new striker after searching for over seven months ?

STEVE MORISON:

"Nothing, not a thing. Not for the want of trying or backing above. Like I've said to everyone who has asked me so far, I can't magic someone out of thin air," Morison said when asked about a striker search.

"What won't be happening is I won't be getting in a 32, 33, 34-year-old centre-forward just because it appeases everyone. It has to be the right player. Someone who will take us forward and help us progress.”

"If that person doesn't arrive then people better back the people who are here because that's all we can do.”

"Someone is going to have to become available for it to be possible. Because there are absolutely zero names, because everyone wants to talk about it, but no one has got a name or are bringing anything to the table!”

"The recruitment team are working hard on it. But at the minute there is no one. There is no one there. I bet no one in here can give me a name. I'm not asking that to be funny. I'm being serious, everyone is saying to get someone...

"Everyone has been brilliant. If there is someone on a free who hasn't had a club, they have missed 12 weeks of the season (and pre-season). It'll take them 12 weeks until they are up and running. But even then, there is no one who has jumped off the page."

When asked about bringing in a loan striker, Morison replied: "Possibly. The loan window goes further. But that might not happen and at the minute we have got to back the people we have got.

"If we get a loan player it'll ultimately be a young player who has never scored a goal in the Championship maybe. So it's between a rock and a hard place at the minute.

"So we keep grinding away and I keep backing the players we've got. We are getting chances for them, let's hope they start putting the ball in the back of the net."

Dorcus
22-08-22, 11:46
If Tan won't put his hand in his pocket there's not much chance of our attacking fortunes improving.