PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Whyte

Undercoverinwurzelland
24-09-22, 17:54
On the score sheet and an assist for northern Ireland. Wonder whether he'll get a chance under Hudson.

Ninja
24-09-22, 18:04
On the score sheet and an assist for northern Ireland. Wonder whether he'll get a chance under Hudson.

I'd rather give him a run of games than Ojo at the minute.
We've not seen enough of Whyte in my humble opinion, he has shown glimpses of ability though. I'd like to see how he is over 7 or 8 full games.

Undercoverinwurzelland
24-09-22, 18:18
Could have an all Ireland front 3 of Whyte, O'Dowda and Robinson.

life on mars
24-09-22, 18:58
We better play him before Madrid nab him

jon1959
24-09-22, 19:18
Could have an all Ireland front 3 of Whyte, O'Dowda and Robinson.

2 Republic, 1 Norn!

Former Labour leader
24-09-22, 19:53
Magennis scored the winner too.
Always thought he should have stuck it out in goals...😀

splott parker
24-09-22, 19:54
Magennis scored the winner too.
Always thought he should have stuck it out in goals...��

Throw in expert

Former Labour leader
24-09-22, 22:33
Throw in expert

Got no fecker to head the ball in the box anymore.

BLUETIT
25-09-22, 06:29

Obviously, you were not at Derby away, when he made a prat of himself and had the crowd and Robbie Savage pissing themselves laughing

Madassa
25-09-22, 06:56
Throw in expert
😂

splott parker
25-09-22, 09:57

You weren’t at the match then?:hehe:

Pedro de la Rosa
25-09-22, 16:48
I'd rather give him a run of games than Ojo at the minute.
We've not seen enough of Whyte in my humble opinion, he has shown glimpses of ability though. I'd like to see how he is over 7 or 8 full games.

He's played 34 games. He has 1 assist and 0 goals. He is dreadful. He works hard, he's honest and by all accounts he's a nice bloke but he's miles away from being a Championship level winger.

Ninja
25-09-22, 16:58
He's played 34 games. He has 1 assist and 0 goals. He is dreadful. He works hard, he's honest and by all accounts he's a nice bloke but he's miles away from being a Championship level winger.

Is Ojo any better?
They both have their moments. The difference being that we've never seen Whyte given an extended run of games.
He's doing it for his country at the minute.
He's come off the bench for us a lot, but never been given a proper run.

Ojo is no better in my opinion. I was massively non-plussed when we re-signed him. Consistency and Ojo don't go together in the same sentence.

Again, has his moments but few and far between.
I'm not saying Whyte will set the world alight, but he's shown glimpses of ability, is younger, and needs that run of games. I'd rather we see what he's really made of than keep persisting with a guy who has the odd half-decent ten minutes occasionally.

Pedro de la Rosa
25-09-22, 17:01
Is Ojo any better?

Yes. Ojo doesn't shit himself when he gets on the ball, for a start. In 20/21, Ojo scored 5 goals and set 7 up for us. Ojo is a decent player at this level, Whyte is not.

Also, Whyte is 26, Ojo is 25. Ojo is younger than Whyte. Whyte isn't going to suddenly turn into a good player.

Ninja
25-09-22, 17:06
Yes. Ojo doesn't shit himself when he gets on the ball, for a start. In 20/21, Ojo scored 5 goals and set 7 up for us. Ojo is a decent player at this level, Whyte is not.

Also, Whyte is 26, Ojo is 25. Ojo is younger than Whyte. Whyte isn't going to suddenly turn into a good player.

Whyte hasn't been afforded the opportunities that Ojo has.
Again, I'm not suggesting Whyte will set the world alight, but Ojo sure as shit hasn't either. All I'm saying is Whyte should at least be given a run of games.
Let's see if he's a better option given the chance.

Pedro de la Rosa
25-09-22, 17:26
Again, I'm not suggesting Whyte will set the world alight, but Ojo sure as shit hasn't either. All I'm saying is Whyte should at least be given a run of games.

Whyte has played 34 games in the Champ. He has shown nothing in almost all of them. He was a semi regular for an entire season and was awful.

Ninja
25-09-22, 17:30
Whyte has played 34 games in the Champ. He has shown nothing in almost all of them. He was a semi regular for an entire season and was awful.

Semi regular when exactly?
When was he last started for 8-10 games?

Pedro de la Rosa
25-09-22, 17:42
Semi regular when exactly?
When was he last started for 8-10 games?

In 19/20, he started most of the games under Warnock and most when Harris started. He wasn't very good. He's made 34 league appearances for us, which is 7 less than Ojo in his first spell, and Ojo had 5 more goals and 6 more assists. Whyte is rubbish.

Ninja
25-09-22, 18:01
In 19/20, he started most of the games under Warnock and most when Harris started. He wasn't very good. He's made 34 league appearances for us, which is 7 less than Ojo in his first spell, and Ojo had 5 more goals and 6 more assists. Whyte is rubbish.

He played a fair few games that season.
Still didn't start for more than around 5 in a row.
Was often subbed tactically too, along with making quite a number of appearances off the bench.
It's all out there on soccerbase.com.

I've often liked what I've seen (albeit in fits and starts), Warnock put some faith in him too. I certainly don't think he's a rubbish player.

Citizen's Nephew
25-09-22, 18:05

I used to think the same thing. But the stats don't lie and I've had to concede that he's not a championship player. He's a cracking lad but it's not worked out for him with us. Watters is another one. I do find it hard to always read the true capability of a player and maybe a different club will make a difference, but it's not happening for us.

Ninja
25-09-22, 18:07

He made 25 league appearances by the way, not 34. Don't trust Wikipedia :thumbup:

Llandaff Blue
25-09-22, 18:18
He made 25 league appearances by the way, not 34. Don't trust Wikipedia :thumbup:

25 league appearances in 19/20, 7 in 20/21. No idea where you got 25 league appearances total from

Ninja
25-09-22, 18:21
25 league appearances in 19/20, 7 in 20/21. No idea where you got 25 league appearances total from

I was 1 out. Stone me now.

Llandaff Blue
25-09-22, 18:28
I was 1 out. Stone me now.

I misread, I thought you meant he made 25 total!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninja
25-09-22, 18:38
I misread, I thought you meant he made 25 total!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hehe: I was wondering whether you'd read it right :thumbup:

I think Pedro is pointing more towards total games (I mis-read myself).
Even so, the best manager we've had in recent years (Warnock) clearly had faith enough in him to start him here and there for 4 or 5 games, and give him a chance.
Warnock obviously saw something that he liked, even bringing him off the bench when he wasn't starting, as an impact sub.

I liked what I saw at the time too, he looked a bit raw, but he showed some ability.

The fact that he's made what, 9 or 10 appearances since 19/20, is a bit of a travesty, especially considering we'd bought him and then he was unceremoniously dumped by other managers.

All I'm saying is that he deserves a bit more than the odd appearance over the last couple of years. A run of games is the only thing that will give us a conclusive idea of where he's at right now.

If he's not good enough, so be it. Ojo's hardly impressive right now either though.

Pedro de la Rosa
25-09-22, 21:17
:hehe: I was wondering whether you'd read it right :thumbup:

I think Pedro is pointing more towards total games (I mis-read myself).
Even so, the best manager we've had in recent years (Warnock) clearly had faith enough in him to start him here and there for 4 or 5 games, and give him a chance.
Warnock obviously saw something that he liked, even bringing him off the bench when he wasn't starting, as an impact sub.

I liked what I saw at the time too, he looked a bit raw, but he showed some ability.

The fact that he's made what, 9 or 10 appearances since 19/20, is a bit of a travesty, especially considering we'd bought him and then he was unceremoniously dumped by other managers.

All I'm saying is that he deserves a bit more than the odd appearance over the last couple of years. A run of games is the only thing that will give us a conclusive idea of where he's at right now.

If he's not good enough, so be it. Ojo's hardly impressive right now either though.

Or, he's not good enough. Every single manager has come to that conclusion. It isn't rocket science. Even Hull's manager didn't want to keep him for the Championship. He is crap. End of. Finito. He's had chances. He's had game time. He's not up to it.

Ninja
25-09-22, 21:24
Or, he's not good enough. Every single manager has come to that conclusion. It isn't rocket science. Even Hull's manager didn't want to keep him for the Championship. He is crap. End of. Finito. He's had chances. He's had game time. He's not up to it.

Ojo's crap too. You can chuck the stats out there all you like, he's still crap.
One is showing form for his country, the other is dishing up the usual 90% of the time crap.
I'd rather chance a player showing some form.

Pedro de la Rosa
25-09-22, 22:12
Ojo's crap too. You can chuck the stats out there all you like, he's still crap.
One is showing form for his country, the other is dishing up the usual 90% of the time crap.
I'd rather chance a player showing some form.

Ojo has been decent, he's not great. Whyte though is dire.

LeningradCowboy
25-09-22, 22:18
I didn't watch the game, but I guess that the standard of football played between Northern Ireland and Kosovo was a lot lower than in the Championship.