PDA

View Full Version : Hudson In

Wales-Bales
04-10-22, 20:59
:ayatollah:

2b2bdoo
04-10-22, 21:01
He deserves at least another game, great win.

UNDERHILL1927
04-10-22, 21:01
Gu

UNDERHILL1927
04-10-22, 21:03
Guaranteed the job now I’d say. The thing I liked today was the comradery at the end. They are obviously still a tight bunch. Nice to see Watters congratulate Sparky too.

Canton Kev
04-10-22, 21:18
A very good performance and all the more sweeter after that ending.

Doesn’t look like he’s changed much of the tactics which is promising considering we signed a bunch of players to play that way.
Might as well give him the job if that’s the case.

Citizen's Nephew
04-10-22, 21:18
Guaranteed the job now I’d say. The thing I liked today was the comradery at the end. They are obviously still a tight bunch. Nice to see Watters congratulate Sparky too.

:thumbup: Gu

UNDERHILL1927
04-10-22, 21:26
:thumbup: Gu

Gu indeed ha ha

Llandaff Blue
04-10-22, 21:32
At the very least he's earned himself a couple more games, 4 points from those two games is an excellent return and we looked really good tonight. I'd rather the club not rush into giving him the job off of two games though, it's that sort of short termism that we need to move away from

Undercoverinwurzelland
04-10-22, 21:40
Good points return so far, fair play.

Eric the Half a Bee
04-10-22, 21:40
Quite right. Keep him in the job until we lose.

Canton Kev
04-10-22, 21:47
Quite right. Keep him in the job until we lose.

Bit harsh if we get Man City as our opening game next season

Eric the Half a Bee
04-10-22, 21:48

Not really. They're beatable. If it's away then I'll settle for a point.

Citizen's Nephew
04-10-22, 21:50
Not really. They're beatable. If it's away then I'll settle for a point.

Eric the Half glass Full! :thumbup:

OurManFlint II
04-10-22, 21:51
Of all the 8 or 9 teams to change managers, we might have the best " new manager bounce" rate.

Ninja
04-10-22, 22:07
Two things that I really liked about Hudson today.
Firstly, he was fairly adventurous with his team selection and appeared to be looking to win it from the off. No defensive set-up, going for the win at home.
Secondly, he made the right changes at the right times. He could see what was working and what wasn't, and he changed things accordingly. It's the little things that can decide how many points you come away with, and he got it right in my humble opinion.
It was a positive performance from him, and was a breath of fresh air.

Eric the Half a Bee
04-10-22, 22:16
Firstly, he was fairly adventurous with his team selection and appeared to be looking to win it from the off. No defensive set-up, going for the win at home.
Secondly, he made the right changes at the right times. He could see what was working and what wasn't, and he changed things accordingly. It's the little things that can decide how many points you come away with, and he got it right in my humble opinion.

Agreed. 2 games in and already I feel an improvement from the Morison era.

Ninja
04-10-22, 22:19
Agreed. 2 games in and already I feel an improvement from the Morison era.

Me too, I won't bang on about Morison as he's no longer here. I can't see that it would have improved though.
Hudson is already approaching it in a more positive manner and it showed tonight big-time.
I've been saying for a while that we should be performing better with the players we have. 2 games and Hudson is already proving that point.
Much better all round, and hopefully a sign of things to come :thumbup:

BlueArmy 86
04-10-22, 22:37
If he keeps this up….

Came across really calm and collected in the post interview too. I think it’s good he has was there before SM sacking so not too much change.

RichardM
04-10-22, 22:38

We beat them at home at the beginning of our first Premiership season, we can do it again.

NYCBlue
04-10-22, 22:49
Promotion form.

Eric the Half a Bee
04-10-22, 22:49
Me too, I won't bang on about Morison as he's no longer here. I can't see that it would have improved though.
Hudson is already approaching it in a more positive manner and it showed tonight big-time.
I've been saying for a while that we should be performing better with the players we have. 2 games and Hudson is already proving that point.

It's funny in a way that we've been more positive with a manager who was a defender than we were with a manager who was a striker.....

Eric the Half a Bee
04-10-22, 22:51
Promotion form.

If we can keep up a 2 point a game average, we'll have 83 points. Should be enough. Over to you Mark Hudson.

RichardM
04-10-22, 23:19
It's funny in a way that we've been more positive with a manager who was a defender than we were with a manager who was a striker.....

I'm sure you can provide us with some stats from the last fifty years showing points per game under managers who were defenders v points per game under managers who were attackers.

Eric the Half a Bee
04-10-22, 23:22
I'm sure you can provide us with some stats from the last fifty years showing points per game under managers who were defenders v points per game under managers who were attackers.

Hmmm, I might look into that. No promises though.

Dave Blue
04-10-22, 23:31
Much improved. Playing 2 halves instead of one as well. A breath of fresh air. Very decent performance tonight.

olderblue
05-10-22, 06:04
The thing that surprised me was how ordinary Blackburn looked or were made to look
We could have had 2 or 3 on another day.
They hardly had a shot on target.
Kipre was solid, I'd like to see him sign on a permanent basis, Robinson didn't stop working and showed what is needed if you're leading the line and Rinohota was everywhere in Midfield.
What's happened to Sawyers? He looked disinterested and was hardly involved
Great save at the end as well
Looking forward to see how we set up away at Wigan on Saturday

2b2bdoo
05-10-22, 06:33

I think Morisons biggest down fall was making to many changes to the starting 11, be interesting how we line up next game.

Also felt we played our own game last night rather than obsessing about how they played.

Positive

the other bob wilson
05-10-22, 06:35
As I mentioned in the match thread, I'd like to see us compete better in a Saturday away game than we have done so far before considering whether Hudson should keep the job.

Ninja
05-10-22, 06:53
As I mentioned in the match thread, I'd like to see us compete better in a Saturday away game than we have done so far before considering whether Hudson should keep the job.

It is indeed early days, but last night had a number of positives. As also mentioned above, we played our own game instead of focusing too much on what they were doing or how they might want to play.
Chalk and cheese compared to Morison's approach and much preferred for me.

FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead
05-10-22, 07:39
I don't think it's necessarily chalk and cheese from Morison. Our press is very good (it caused a lot of problems for Blackburn last night), out build up play from the back is smart, and we are good off the ball when we sit in our banks. All those things are down to Morison.

What Hudson needs to do - and what he is doing so far - is build on our weaknesses. It's already been said that they're working a lot more on attacking movement in the final third. You can see that there's a conscious effort to get more bodies in the box. I thought Rinomhota quietly had his best game for us last night.

Morison's downfall was because of his stubbornness (or inability) to address our lack of creativity, and his insistence on obsessing over what the opposition is doing. But he left the basic template of a decent side. And I think a more positive, attack-minded manager, whether Hudson or someone else, will reap the benefits of that.

Re Sawyers: I've got to be honest, aside from his 2 goals, I've been disappointed with him. He seems to have this idea of himself as a Glenn Hoddle type, but he doesn't have anywhere near enough of an impact on games. No energy or dynamism and he repeatedly gave the ball away last night.

North Cardiff Blue
05-10-22, 07:53
The thing that surprised me was how ordinary Blackburn looked or were made to look
We could have had 2 or 3 on another day.
They hardly had a shot on target.
Kipre was solid, I'd like to see him sign on a permanent basis, Robinson didn't stop working and showed what is needed if you're leading the line and Rinohota was everywhere in Midfield.
What's happened to Sawyers? He looked disinterested and was hardly involved
Great save at the end as well
Looking forward to see how we set up away at Wigan on Saturday

Kipre looked brilliant going forward, he looked better than all the midfield in midfield, what a player!

I loved the together spirit at the end, those players look happy to be playing for Hudson and it looks like they are going to do their best to keep him there, which says a lot.

Final comment, they looked solid in defence and very organised, as above we made Burnley and Blackburn look average to poor, I wasn't expecting that.

the other bob wilson
05-10-22, 07:56
I don't think it's necessarily chalk and cheese from Morison. Our press is very good (it caused a lot of problems for Blackburn last night), out build up play from the back is smart, and we are good off the ball when we sit in our banks. All those things are down to Morison.

What Hudson needs to do - and what he is doing so far - is build on our weaknesses. It's already been said that they're working a lot more on attacking movement in the final third. You can see that there's a conscious effort to get more bodies in the box. I thought Rinomhota quietly had his best game for us last night.

Morison's downfall was because of his stubbornness (or inability) to address our lack of creativity, and his insistence on obsessing over what the opposition is doing. But he left the basic template of a decent side. And I think a more positive, attack-minded manager, whether Hudson or someone else, will reap the benefits of that.

Re Sawyers: I've got to be honest, aside from his 2 goals, I've been disappointed with him. He seems to have this idea of himself as a Glenn Hoddle type, but he doesn't have anywhere near enough of an impact on games. No energy or dynamism and he repeatedly gave the ball away last night.

Good post. Agreed about Rinomhota and Sawyers - the latter was the signing I looked forward to seeing most, but he's been a disappointment so far. Sawyers' age was a slight concern for me, but, in terms of the energy and dynamism you mention, he looks like someone who is thirty five, not thirty one next month.

superfeathers
05-10-22, 08:59
Dont want to dampen the enthusiasm.

A great win and good point in the last two games. Fair play to City and good to see a positive approach.

But it's around about now, that the board will tie Hudson down with a deal until the end of the season.
After a couple more wins we'll tie him down for 2 years
Then opposition teams will figure out how he sets up.
Repeat

dml1954
05-10-22, 09:07

A great win and good point in the last two games. Fair play to City and good to see a positive approach.

But it's around about now, that the board will tie Hudson down with a deal until the end of the season.
Repeat

Way to go with dampening the enthusiasm. You have no idea on how this is going to play out and yet you just cant resist putting a negative spin on the whole thing. Whats the point ?

Ninja
05-10-22, 09:09

Repeat

It's a risk whichever way you do it.
Personally I'd be giving Hudson til Xmas for now. If he does well, give him the rest of the season. If he's still doing well, another year.
The plus side of that is not having a manager tied down long term if he starts to falter.
The negative is not having him tied down if he's still doing well!
Swings and roundabouts, maybe give him 18 months at the end of the season if he's still doing well?

superfeathers
05-10-22, 09:14
Way to go with dampening the enthusiasm. You have no idea on how this is going to play out and yet you just cant resist putting a negative spin on the whole thing. Whats the point ?

Just a realist I guess. I'd be happier putting £100 on Hudson having been sacked by this time next year than the other way around.
The club should err on the side of caution for once. I'm not saying don't give him the chance, I truly hope he does well, but there's not a long waiting list for his services so let's relax before making things too permanent.

What do they call doing the same thing time and time again and expecting different results?

City123
05-10-22, 09:23
I imagine the decision was made once Morison was sacked and the board are hoping he gets a few good results before announcing it properly

I'm happy for Hudson to be the manager, he was part of the coaching setup that helped lay the foundations for the move away from hoofball and looks like hell continue it

ManBearPig
05-10-22, 10:25
Yes, thought there was some improvement from the Morrison days. We had a more varied style of play - hitting a couple of long balls instead of just lots of sideways/backward passes for the sake of it.

Still lack a clinical striker but I guess a lot of the teams in the division do!

Would have liked to see an experienced manager come in but realistically I think the job is Hudson's until the end of the season at least.

HiVis
05-10-22, 10:26

having Callum Robinson in the forward line has helped massively

:thumbup:

J R Hartley
05-10-22, 10:56
Gave credit to the players first and foremost unlike the previous narcissist who only seemed to want to mention the players first when throwing them under the bus.

Bobby Dandruff
05-10-22, 11:01

Exactly.

There is a marginal improvement which is good to see but let's not kid ourselves that this is a dramatic shift or big step forward (someone on here referred to last night's performance as 'fabulous' :facepalm:)

Whereas 4 points is an excellent return let's also keep an eye on the fact that we scored in the last minute against Burnley and and conceded an injury time penalty last night which was saved when the goal could have been give if the ref had played the advantage.

These are very fine margins (like Robinson missing the penalty at Huddersfield) and you have to think that Morison MIGHT have got the same results if he'd been in charge.

So whereas I'm please with the points and the continued evolution, giving Hudson the job after 2 games doesn't feel like as significant an upgrade on what Morison was doing as lots of people on here are making out.

Football is such a fickle sport.

Rjk
05-10-22, 11:30
Gave credit to the players first and foremost unlike the previous narcissist who only seemed to want to mention the players first when throwing them under the bus.

it's time to move on :hehe: I get the impression in 5 years time you'll still be airing your strange vendetta about him

TWGL1
05-10-22, 11:56
I was told last night that Hudson was the boards “eyes and ears” prior to being appointed interim manager .

Not sure what that means exactly or if it had any bearing on Morison being relieved of his duties.

J R Hartley
05-10-22, 11:59
it's time to move on :hehe: I get the impression in 5 years time you'll still be airing your strange vendetta about him

Absolutely not :hehe:

You’ll still be burying your head in the sand when it comes to Morison and his behaviour in 5 years im sure too. :hehe:

J R Hartley
05-10-22, 11:59
I was told last night that Hudson was the boards “eyes and ears” prior to being appointed interim manager .

Not sure what that means exactly or if it had any bearing on Morison being relieved of his duties.

Source

TWGL1
05-10-22, 12:09
Source

Encona

Ninja
05-10-22, 12:48
These are very fine margins (like Robinson missing the penalty at Huddersfield) and you have to think that Morison MIGHT have got the same results if he'd been in charge.

So whereas I'm please with the points and the continued evolution, giving Hudson the job after 2 games doesn't feel like as significant an upgrade on what Morison was doing as lots of people on here are making out.

Football is such a fickle sport.

I agree that there are fine margins but I highly doubt Morison would have gotten 4 points from these last two games.

The difference for me is that not only were we looking utterly toothless under Morison, and afraid to commit to attacks, but we also seemed to be setting up to try and counter the opposition rather than play our own game.

I was saying on here a while back that I believe that while we are short in terms of certain positions, we do have the players to perform better than we had been doing.

In two games, Hudson's team has been fairly dominant and competitive, while also showing more of a will to get forward and trouble the opposition a bit.
We started to dominate the game last night and he also made the right changes at the right times which helped us to impose ourselves even more.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect us to suddenly become world beaters, or Hudson to be necessarily the right appointment at this time...
It was however, a massively improved performance compared to what we'd seen from Morison in his 10 games in charge

More will to attack, more confidence, and of course we've scored a couple :hehe:
Time will tell whether Hudson can keep it up, it was never going to take much to get the team attacking more after all...

It's a big step in the right direction for me though and will breed confidence among the players.

Pedro de la Rosa
05-10-22, 12:58

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Hudson thought Morison’s behaviour was unacceptable and told Tan something had to be done. That’s exactly why most ex players have said he’s the best captain they’ve ever had.

Taffy Blue in Berkshire
05-10-22, 15:19
Kipre looked brilliant going forward, he looked better than all the midfield in midfield, what a player!

I loved the together spirit at the end, those players look happy to be playing for Hudson and it looks like they are going to do their best to keep him there, which says a lot.

Final comment, they looked solid in defence and very organised, as above we made Burnley and Blackburn look average to poor, I wasn't expecting that.

Agree! I thought Kipre was a rock and good to watch. Overall, a satisfactory outcome and a very good start from Hudson who came across very well post-match as a decent bloke to work for. Let's not get ahead of things but a platform now on which to build and a cracking goal and penalty save.

Rjk
05-10-22, 15:32
So far so good from Hudson, but then we had the same thing with Morison, McCarthy, Harris, Warnock - they all started well and we ended up sacking them all.
So for me it is just as important what Hudson's overall philosophy / direction is rather than the results over a handful of games, and I don't think we've heard much from him about that

if he's the man to take us forward - where is it he's taking us?

Over the last couple of years we've made some big changes in many aspects like recruitment, playing style etc and it would be nice to know that trajectory is going to be maintained

LA Bluebird
05-10-22, 15:33
Thought the press was significantly better last night than it was under Morison except maybe the Norwich game and first half Boro?

Not sure if that points to familiarity, motivation, tweaked system or just random noise, but overall it was a team effort that we rarely got under the previous boss and should be a credit to Hudson. Especially first half we had them totally rattled.

Des Parrot
05-10-22, 15:49
So far so good from Hudson, but then we had the same thing with Morison, McCarthy, Harris, Warnock - they all started well and we ended up sacking them all.
So for me it is just as important what Hudson's overall philosophy / direction is rather than the results over a handful of games, and I don't think we've heard much from him about that

Over the last couple of years we've made some big changes in many aspects like recruitment, playing style etc and it would be nice to know that trajectory is going to be maintained

I know people will have different opinions and maybe the right person is out there. But … Hudson “gets” City, the others listed were transient,Hudson understands the work ethic & expectations of City fans. For that alone, I’d give him an opportunity.

Ninja
05-10-22, 16:01
I know people will have different opinions and maybe the right person is out there. But … Hudson “gets” City, the others listed were transient,Hudson understands the work ethic & expectations of City fans. For that alone, I’d give him an opportunity.

I agree completely. Of course, whether that translates into him being a good manager or not remains to be seen.
There are definitely positives to his appointment though.

He was a great captain and respected by all his team mates, well liked and listened to as well I would imagine. We know Hudson to speak well as he has done recently in front of the cameras.
Tactically we won't know what to expect just yet, but he played in City teams that played attacking football so I suspect he'll want to do just that as he knows what the fans want.

If he fails, so be it, but it definitely won't be for the lack of effort. I believe these players will give him their all, as previous players did when he was captain. With the right support, maybe it might work.

To be honest, I wanted an experienced manager but that means spending a lot of money trying to pinch one from a small pool of possibilities. It would probably cost us a damn fortune.

If we're going to take a risk, I would rather it be on someone like Hudson than another Morison or Harris, people that don't get what we're about or what we want to see.

Hudson will know that if these players give their all, they'll get the respect from the fans.
I've never been the biggest fan of Mark Harris, but he could be one that thrives under Hudson.
We all respect his work-rate, and Hudson will know him well. Using him as a "super-sub" so to speak, as he was used last night, might just see him nick a few more goals in a hard-working and more adventurous team.

Rjk
05-10-22, 16:08

Sorry, but that sounds like complete bollocks to me

North Cardiff Blue
05-10-22, 16:40
Thought the press was significantly better last night than it was under Morison except maybe the Norwich game and first half Boro?

Not sure if that points to familiarity, motivation, tweaked system or just random noise, but overall it was a team effort that we rarely got under the previous boss and should be a credit to Hudson. Especially first half we had them totally rattled.

Agreed the press and general attitude and work effort increased significantly, but also we got the ball forward quicker with a combination of long kick outs and playing it out from the back when it was safe to do so. Under Morrison it took to long for the ball to end up in the opposition box and by the time we got it there they had 11 players in defending and blocking shots.

Bobby Dandruff
05-10-22, 17:11

You are quite right of course although the sackings were a bit different:

Harris and Mick started well and were sacked when the club realised that they were rubbish.

Warnock was sacked after getting us promoted seemingly from nowhere and then drifted to the sack after frittering away a load of money.

And Morison was sacked before being given a proper chance really.

So what will happen with Hudson? I have absolutely no idea! Maybe the Warnock trajectory but without the same ending? 👍

Des Parrot
05-10-22, 21:19
Sorry, but that sounds like complete bollocks to me

That’s fine. I draw my opinion from having been fortunate enough to having spent time talking & socialising with him, so I’ve some small insight into his commitment I would also say the same about Darren Purse for the same reason. I’ve been around both football and business long enough to know that a manager who motivates from within already has an advantage over one who is imposed.

Harry Paget Flashman
05-10-22, 21:29

Don't fans of all clubs expect that as a minimum.

Citizen's Nephew
05-10-22, 21:59
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Hudson thought Morison’s behaviour was unacceptable and told Tan something had to be done. That’s exactly why most ex players have said he’s the best captain they’ve ever had.
Good shout that. :thumbup: