PDA

View Full Version : Morison v Hudson

Ninja
08-10-22, 16:31
Morison - played 10, 11 points, 7 goals
Hudson - played 3, 7 points, 5 goals

Big difference. Not just in stats, but performances too. Looking much better as a team, and going forward.

Morison brought in some good players but I fail to see how we'd have gotten those points or goals from these last 3 matches if he was still here.
There was a negative vibe seemingly spreading.

Hudson steps in and it"s game on, City on an upward trajectory.
Right decision at the right time, onwards and upwards.

Splott-light...
08-10-22, 16:33
we look a far more dangerous team going forward, while retaining a passing style, it's been an entertaining few games

SLUDGE FACTORY
08-10-22, 16:37
Well if there is a similar poor run under Hudson I hope he is given time to put things right

We can't go on chopping and changing managers like this

I hope Hudson is able to work with what we have because if the side is good enough for the top 10 then let's have it !

Ninja
08-10-22, 16:45
I hope Hudson is able to work with what we have because if the side is good enough for the top 10 then let's have it !

A few smart additions in January and we could easily be looking top 10.
I've been saying for a while that we have the players to be doing better. A change of gaffer clearly was needed.
Hopefully we'll keep this going and keep improving.

splott parker
08-10-22, 17:12
A happier club all around it seems both on and off the pitch.

2b2bdoo
08-10-22, 17:51
We certainly seem to have added a bit more going forward. Morison in the end was for me overthinking everything. Interesting today we didn’t have the possession or the passes but we seem to use the ball well when we had it.

I think you could have made a case for Morison to have had more time but you can’t say Hudson hasn’t added to what we were doing. Although my gut is that Hudson wouldn’t have got us playing like this without the foundation Morison set and the signings made.

Ninja
08-10-22, 18:00
I think you could have made a case for Morison to have had more time but you can’t say Hudson hasn’t added to what we were doing. Although my gut is that Hudson wouldn’t have got us playing like this without the foundation Morison set and the signings made.

Morison signed some decent players for sure, and maybe built some foundations too.
My issue with Morison was how we weren't utilising what we had.
A lot of what we were doing seemed to centre around what the opposition might, or might not do.
We looked utterly toothless going forward and afraid to attack. I don't think I can really recall a City team looking that fearful of having a go.
Were they afraid of being berated by Morison of they got it wrong?
Serious question, something clearly wasn't right...
The same squad are now playing with some level of freedom and confidence. I feel that speaks volumes.
Things clearly weren't right behind closed doors and I really don't think they'd have improved.
Hudson has brought a breath of fresher air about the place, and it's showing.

life on mars
08-10-22, 18:07
I think if the club had bought a striker early on Morison and the club would be in a better place .

I can imagine Morisons abrupt , response to Mr Tan or any other within the management team about the lack of goals in his sides , as we were creating chances ??

I do have some sympathy for Morison and can see him doing well in the game ..

Tuerto
08-10-22, 18:20
It's to do with shape in my opinion. I think that Morison was obsessed with shape, and liked to keep it even when we were searching for a goal. Never did a wide player or midfielder take risks, there were no pockets created, no late runners, a lack of urgency in the attacking third. I don't think that he was prepared to allow the players to take risks in order to score or cause opposition defenders problems. Maybe it was down to inexperience, stubbornness or a lack of ability in that area(from Morison) who knows? There were enough people saying that was what was needed.

Not saying that Hudson is the Messiah, lets see when things start going against him, that's the test. Although it's obvious that Hudson understands that in order to win a game, players have to be more aggressive in the final third and risks need to be taken in order to stretch the opposition.

life on mars
08-10-22, 18:27
I think if the club had bought a striker early on Morison and the club would be in a better place .

I can imagine Morisons abrupt no nonsense response to Mr Tan or any other expert within the management team about the lack of goals in his sides , as we were creating chances,and club wanted it to appear for free after selling our main striker. I'd be pissed with that ??

I do have some sympathy for Morison and can see him doing well in the game .. and hope he does .

J R Hartley
08-10-22, 18:28
Hudson putting a smile back on faces of players and supporters alike.

2b2bdoo
08-10-22, 18:49
Morison signed some decent players for sure, and maybe built some foundations too.
My issue with Morison was how we weren't utilising what we had.
A lot of what we were doing seemed to centre around what the opposition might, or might not do.
We looked utterly toothless going forward and afraid to attack. I don't think I can really recall a City team looking that fearful of having a go.
Were they afraid of being berated by Morison of they got it wrong?
Serious question, something clearly wasn't right...
The same squad are now playing with some level of freedom and confidence. I feel that speaks volumes.
Things clearly weren't right behind closed doors and I really don't think they'd have improved.
Hudson has brought a breath of fresher air about the place, and it's showing.

At the end of the day they should be doing what the managers ask, so they should be doing as Morison asked and I think they were, some games we created plenty but couldn’t finish. Things certainly seem quicker in the final third now, we used the ball so well on the counter attack today, pressing was excellent and we generally made the right decisions.

I’ve said before I think Morison was simply over thinking the team, overthinking the opposition and not focusing on us.

UNDERHILL1927
08-10-22, 18:55
At the end of the day they should be doing what the managers ask, so they should be doing as Morison asked and I think they were, some games we created plenty but couldn’t finish. Things certainly seem quicker in the final third now, we used the ball so well on the counter attack today, pressing was excellent and we generally made the right decisions.

I’ve said before I think Morison was simply over thinking the team, overthinking the opposition and not focusing on us.

Sums it up for me, we already have more of an identity under Hudson.

Rontomuk
08-10-22, 18:58
Morison has an eye for a good player, and Hudson knows how to get them to enjoy playing the game

SLUDGE FACTORY
08-10-22, 19:45
Hudson putting a smile back on faces of players and supporters alike.

Well it looks that way

Let's hope we don't stick the knife in if he has a bad patch

Do you want to come fishing up Cyfartha Pond with me , next Thursday?

I will bring maggots

J R Hartley
08-10-22, 19:55
Well it looks that way

Let's hope we don't stick the knife in if he has a bad patch

Do you want to come fishing up Cyfartha Pond with me , next Thursday?

I will bring maggots

I’m washing my hair next Thursday

SLUDGE FACTORY
08-10-22, 19:58
I’m washing my hair next Thursday

Who will you run to when it all falls down ?

Who's gonna take away those tears you cry ?

Who's gonna love you baby as good as I ?

Think on

waynekerr55
09-10-22, 15:00
Well if there is a similar poor run under Hudson I hope he is given time to put things right

Can I shock you? I like Hudson despite what I said earlier

waynekerr55
09-10-22, 15:01

Who will you run to when it all falls down ?

Who's gonna take away those tears you cry ?

Who's gonna love you baby as good as I ?

Think on

I am thinking... in that block you threatened to knock off

NYCBlue
09-10-22, 15:11
I think a debt is owed to Morison. But Hudson seems to be doing a better job with "the group".

Citizen's Nephew
09-10-22, 15:31
It's to do with shape in my opinion. I think that Morison was obsessed with shape, and liked to keep it even when we were searching for a goal. Never did a wide player or midfielder take risks, there were no pockets created, no late runners, a lack of urgency in the attacking third. I don't think that he was prepared to allow the players to take risks in order to score or cause opposition defenders problems. Maybe it was down to inexperience, stubbornness or a lack of ability in that area(from Morison) who knows? There were enough people saying that was what was needed.

Not saying that Hudson is the Messiah, lets see when things start going against him, that's the test. Although it's obvious that Hudson understands that in order to win a game, players have to be more aggressive in the final third and risks need to be taken in order to stretch the opposition.

This is key. The last time we played great football like this was when Warnock wasn't being a conservative (small c) stubborn bastard and we played those early games in 17/18. In fairness, Warnock could adapt and do whatever was necessary to win the game up until we had a bad spell and he panicked and then we played hoofball and set pieces to promotion. It worked. It could have just as easily been a disaster the margins were so fine that season.

Morison doesn't have the confidence in himself or the footballing (management) brain to adapt. People keep saying he's got an eye for a good player. Everyone on this board has got an eye for a good player. He's just sh*t at management. It happens.

Hudson will resign or be sacked one day. He's riding a wave and has got them playing good, exciting-on-the-eye, football. It's entertaining. Morison's teams were as boring as f*ck to watch. I think Hudson should just be left to it and ride the wave. I expected a big difference but not as big as it has been so what's the point in changing manager?

They're all on f*cking rotation anyway which makes the whole profession a joke imo and most clubs are run really badly.

The last time I can think of a truly innovative management appointment and one that surprised a lot of people was some guy called Arsene Wenger took over at Arsenal.

Our piece of crazy was Neil Harris. The Board must have sniffed some bad glue that day. So here we are with Hudson. All chance. Football clubs gamble all the time.

jon1959
09-10-22, 17:47
Morison was learning on the job, but for me he had far more positives than negatives in his record.

He did what was needed last season to comfortably get safe and undo the mess Mick left. He recruited really well in two windows - and 'sold the dream' to a good few. He assembled a promising squad with some real talent, with youth (players brought in from outside as well as up from the academy) and he put in place at least Plan A of a totally different and more entertaining and progressive playing style. He barely saw the impact of Callum Robinson either.

But he was too often thin skinned and confrontational, limited tactically (often reacting to the opposition not imposing us on them, and seemed to lack confidence or imagination at times with his subs) and he seems to have upset a few people (some on the Board?)

The danger once he was sacked was that the Board would throw the baby out with the bathwater. Hudson may have even less experience than Morison (at the end) but he offers continuity and development of what Morison put in place - and hopefully a Plan B and Plan C.

He's also more likeable, and one of us. The players seem to be happy - and stepping up.

It may be the cheap option to let him get on with it for mow, but it might also be the smart option. I thought the Morison sacking was harsh if it was made just because of results (I don't believe that) but I am happier with Hudson in charge after the clear evolution in the last three games.

Tuerto
09-10-22, 17:53
Morison was learning on the job, but for me he had far more positives than negatives in his record.

He did what was needed last season to comfortably get safe and undo the mess Mick left. He recruited really well in two windows - and 'sold the dream' to a good few. He assembled a promising squad with some real talent, with youth (players brought in from outside as well as up from the academy) and he put in place at least Plan A of a totally different and more entertaining and progressive playing style. He barely saw the impact of Callum Robinson either.

But he was too often thin skinned and confrontational, limited tactically (often reacting to the opposition not imposing us on them, and seemed to lack confidence or imagination at times with his subs) and he seems to have upset a few people (some on the Board?)

The danger once he was sacked was that the Board would throw the baby out with the bathwater. Hudson may have even less experience than Morison (at the end) but he offers continuity and development of what Morison put in place - and hopefully a Plan B and Plan C.

He's also more likeable, and one of us. The players seem to be happy - and stepping up.

It may be the cheap option to let him get on with it for mow, but it might also be the smart option. I thought the Morison sacking was harsh if it was made just because of results (I don't believe that) but I am happier with Hudson in charge after the clear evolution in the last three games.

Good post. It would be nice to know why Morison got the chop.

splott parker
09-10-22, 18:28
Good post. It would be nice to know why Morison got the chop.

Mightn’t have been the chop, it may have been the knife in the back by others close to him:sherlock:

Citizen's Nephew
09-10-22, 18:38
Mightn’t have been the chop, it may have been the knife in the back by others close to him:sherlock:

It's weird how these are trending on eBay don't you think?

jon1959
09-10-22, 21:48
Newport fans, eh?

Barmy
09-10-22, 21:58

Top post.
The more I think about it their must have been more to Morison’s sacking than just results.
I think back to Our playing style 12 months ago and know we have a lot to be thankful to him for.

Citizen's Nephew
09-10-22, 22:14
Newport fans, eh? It would be ironic if Morison ended up there!

Pedro de la Rosa
09-10-22, 22:21

Top post. If we continue to play decent stuff, score goals and stay abouts where we are under Hudson, he’s alright by me.

He’s a less divisive character, and he’s got us playing to win games rather than not to lose and hope we nick it. We’ve played quite a few different formations under him already and we aren’t afraid to mix it up, whereas this season under Morison it was 433 or bust. So many positives under Hudson. He’s one of our great captains so he has so much credit in the bank with the supporters, especially after a very good start. Lancashire opposition are no match for Hudson

North Cardiff Blue
10-10-22, 09:38
Morison has an eye for a good player, and Hudson knows how to get them to enjoy playing the game

Or was it the scouts, and transfer comitee, I can't see Morison ast at a computer all day looking at players and stats?

That said he obviously had a part in it, just how much of it was down to him, and could Hudson do just as well?

North Cardiff Blue
10-10-22, 09:50
Morison - played 10, 11 points, 7 goals
Hudson - played 3, 7 points, 5 goals

Big difference. Not just in stats, but performances too. Looking much better as a team, and going forward.

Morison brought in some good players but I fail to see how we'd have gotten those points or goals from these last 3 matches if he was still here.
There was a negative vibe seemingly spreading.

Hudson steps in and it"s game on, City on an upward trajectory.
Right decision at the right time, onwards and upwards.

The main difference is we don't slowly overplay the ball out from defence every single time, the problem with this was that if the ball didn't get taken off us in a dangerous area and come straight back, it would arrive in our opponent’s box when they had eleven players in there set to block and defend.

Now we vary it and are catching teams on the break often in three on three type situations and real goal opportunities. We are also better at pressing teams when they play it out from the back, resulting in us playing in our opponents half more than out own and forcing them to make mistakes rather than the other way around.

Morison had us playing on the back foot, Hudson has us playing on the front foot.

City123
10-10-22, 10:30
Or was it the scouts, and transfer comitee, I can't see Morison ast at a computer all day looking at players and stats?

That said he obviously had a part in it, just how much of it was down to him, and could Hudson do just as well?
Exactly. The club have a recruitment team, they've publicised as much, and this recruitment team has a strategy and target profile which has been clear since Harris' time as manager. Morison obviously had some role but it isn't Football Manager, he wasn't the one identifying, scouting and negotiating with players

Pedro de la Rosa
10-10-22, 12:44
Exactly. The club have a recruitment team, they've publicised as much, and this recruitment team has a strategy and target profile which has been clear since Harris' time as manager. Morison obviously had some role but it isn't Football Manager, he wasn't the one identifying, scouting and negotiating with players

There's a zero percent chance Mick signed Wintle, and we know Harris didn't sign Ng. I'db be amazed if Morison personally scouted Paderborn games in 2 Bundesliga last season and spotted Jamilu Collins!

OurManFlint II
10-10-22, 13:52

Interestingly Danny Gabbidon said that Hudson was way more experienced than Morison on the Elis James Podcast the other week.

the other bob wilson
10-10-22, 15:26
I’d be very surprised if Steve Morisonpicked all seventeen newcomers this summer himself. However, he had two transfer windows in his time in charge and it seems to me that they were among the two best we’ve had in the last decade. Very clearly, Morison was serious about changing the way we played and, in fact, it could be argued we went too far the other way. My main on field criticism of Morison was that he set the side up cautiously whether we were home or away and this came home with a vengeance when we stopped having set piece goals to fall back on.

The fact the club seemed anxious to emphasise Mark Hudson’s attacking approach suggests Morison’s defensive tendencies was not just something some of our support had imagined. Has Hudson really been that attacking though? I thought we set up defensively against Burnley, had ago at Blackburn and provided a classic counter attacking performance at Wigan.

I’m not sure I ever saw us counter attack as effectively under Morison as we did on Saturday and we rarely were as dominant at home as we were against Blackburn - it’s only three games, but we already seem a much more adaptable team than we were under Morison.

Tuerto
10-10-22, 16:30
I’d be very surprised if Steve Morisonpicked all seventeen newcomers this summer himself. However, he had two transfer windows in his time in charge and it seems to me that they were among the two best we’ve had in the last decade. Very clearly, Morison was serious about changing the way we played and, in fact, it could be argued we went too far the other way. My main on field criticism of Morison was that he set the side up cautiously whether we were home or away and this came home with a vengeance when we stopped having set piece goals to fall back on.

The fact the club seemed anxious to emphasise Mark Hudson’s attacking approach suggests Morison’s defensive tendencies was not just something some of our support had imagined. Has Hudson really been that attacking though? I thought we set up defensively against Burnley, had ago at Blackburn and provided a classic counter attacking performance at Wigan.

I’m not sure I ever saw us counter attack as effectively under Morison as we did on Saturday and we rarely were as dominant at home as we were against Blackburn - it’s only three games, but we already seem a much more adaptable team than we were under Morison.

There is a difference under Hudson. More energy, more direct in possession, it's all quicker, which gives the impression that we are more attack minded. Which is really good in my opinion. Morisons style was ponderous at times, the game would slow down, i reckon that he was into shape and phases of play, it really looked like coaching from the manual. We never really opened up, showed much adventure, it was very guarded alot of the time, a reflection of Morisons character perhaps?

North Cardiff Blue
10-10-22, 17:22

Morrison refused to counter attack or get the ball forward quickly, he wanted slow Swansea style play the ball out from the back at all costs, be brave even if they are all marked try, thats what went wrong.

In hindsight it's easy to see what was wrong, we were high pressed on most games if not get everyone behind the ball, they haven't got a clue how to break down a full park the bus style defence, win it back and attack them fast.

Ninja
10-10-22, 17:27
As others have alluded to, we definitely are playing more on the front foot.
We're breaking into the box with even numbers, 4 v 4 as opposed to 1 or 2 against their entire 11 who've gotten back behind the ball.
It's a marked improvement for me, and a clearly visible one too.
I think Hudson's changes in that respect are a breath of fresh air.
No more looking stupidly hesitant whilst the opposition reorganise and shut us out.
We're in their box, troubling their defenders and keeper, something that simply never even looked likely under Morison.
Long may it continue.

Tuerto
10-10-22, 20:34
As others have alluded to, we definitely are playing more on the front foot.
We're breaking into the box with even numbers, 4 v 4 as opposed to 1 or 2 against their entire 11 who've gotten back behind the ball.
It's a marked improvement for me, and a clearly visible one too.
I think Hudson's changes in that respect are a breath of fresh air.
No more looking stupidly hesitant whilst the opposition reorganise and shut us out.
We're in their box, troubling their defenders and keeper, something that simply never even looked likely under Morison.
Long may it continue.

Yeah, it's that simple, nothing complicated going on. Maybe Hudson has simplified things a bit, less technical and detailed, just a case of get on the ball, be aggressive, assertive in the right areas, be positive and take risks when needed, small risks, but enough to make the opposition think. I can see Morison weighing players down in detail, he came across as quite intense. Sometimes it takes someone to just simplify and put a bit of confidence and belief in players. I think that (so far) Hudson has done that.

olderblue
11-10-22, 05:52
Didn't Clough make it even less complicated with that all conquering Forest side from the late 70s early 80s, telling his midfield to win the ball and give it to Robbo