PDA

View Full Version : Derby interested in Curtis Nelson

jon1959
06-11-22, 13:25
A few 'press reports' today saying Paul Warne interested in bringing Nelson to Pride Park in January:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfer-news-nelson-7789563

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/derby-county-target-january-transfer-agreement-for-cardiff-city-player/

Nelson has defied his critics again - and seems to have established himself as the first choice back up in central defence - and some of his dodgy performances earlier in the season are fading from memory. He doesn't do anything fancy, but when he's on his game he can defend - and in the old Morrison/Flint/Nelson combo it was Nelson who had the pace!

The other current options are McGuinness (on loan at Wednesday but maybe can be recalled), Simpson (can pass a football but a mixed bag in his previous outings), Denham (off the radar but another one who carried an injury earlier in the season and having a 'growth spurt'), or a dip into the u21s?

I am unclear whether the club will be able to bring any players in during the next window (next three windows?) with the Sala case transfer ban still hanging over us - although presumably that will be lifted if Nantes are paid?

Would a move suit Cardiff, Derby or Curtis Nelson? Will we still need him in the second half of the season?

the other bob wilson
06-11-22, 13:38
A few 'press reports' today saying Paul Warne interested in bringing Nelson to Pride Park in January:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/derby-county-transfer-news-nelson-7789563

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/derby-county-target-january-transfer-agreement-for-cardiff-city-player/

Nelson has defied his critics again - and seems to have established himself as the first choice back up in central defence - and some of his dodgy performances earlier in the season are fading from memory. He doesn't do anything fancy, but when he's on his game he can defend - and in the old Morrison/Flint/Nelson combo it was Nelson who had the pace!

The other current options are McGuinness (on loan at Wednesday but maybe can be recalled), Simpson (can pass a football but a mixed bag in his previous outings), Denham (off the radar but another one who carried an injury earlier in the season and having a 'growth spurt'), or a dip into the u21s?

I am unclear whether the club will be able to bring any players in during the next window (next three windows?) with the Sala case transfer ban still hanging over us - although presumably that will be lifted if Nantes are paid?

Would a move suit Cardiff, Derby or Curtis Nelson? Will we still need him in the second half of the season?

I think Nelson must be favourite to start against Hull, especially with Hudson less insistent about playing out from the back than Morison was. However, with his contract up in the summer, will he get a new deal? I think a move in January to Derby would appeal to him and us, especially if we could wangle a “nominal” fee for him. Nelson did well yesterday in a situation which was made for him, but, even though we’re more direct under Hudson, we still look to build through our centrebacks quite often and so I don’t see Nelson being a first choice in this squad.

PontBlue
06-11-22, 13:41
I think Nelson must be favourite to start against Hull, especially with Hudson less insistent about playing out from the back than Morison was. However, with his contract up in the summer, will he get a new deal? I think a move in January to Derby would appeal to him and us, especially if we could wangle a “nominal” fee for him. Nelson did well yesterday in a situation which is made for him, but, even though we’re more direct under Hudson, we still look to build through our centrebacks and so I don’t see Nelson being a first choice in this squad.
Having watched Sheffield United dominate Burnley in the air yesterday I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next week as well.

He did well when he came on yesterday but then I supposed he's suited to a side digging in as opposed to our first half team who were playing expansive football.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
06-11-22, 13:43
He stepped up to the plate yesterday in fairness.
However, the reason the mistakes have faded from memory is because he hasn't had much game time lately.

If we can strike a deal with Derby I think it will be best for all parties.

the other bob wilson
06-11-22, 13:44
Having watched Sheffield United dominate Burnley in the air yesterday I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next week as well.

He did well when he came on yesterday but then I supposed he's suited to a side digging in as opposed to our first half team who were playing expansive football.

Agreed, good point about Sheffield United - can see us playing three at the back against them.

Ninja
06-11-22, 13:51
In a 4-4-2 with Morrison I always felt like Morrison carried him to some extent.
Since Morrison has been out injured, Nelson has often looked like he was struggling, and he never looked particularly good even alongside Morrison!
I wish him well and wouldn't stand in his way if it was me making the call.
He's not a player I'd be looking to give a new contract to.
I think he'd do well at the lower levels but I don't consider him to be Championship standard personally.

BLUETIT
06-11-22, 15:45
One of his best performances in a city shirt yesterday

And for me to say that, it must have been good