PDA

View Full Version : More Tan comments ‘I am not really very keen to sell’

Michael Morris
09-11-22, 00:02
Cardiff City have offered Mark Hudson the manager's position to the end of the season.

Former captain Hudson stepped up as interim boss following the departure of Steve Morison in September.

Hudson met club owner Vincent Tan ahead of Tuesday night's 3-2 Championship home defeat to Hull City, where he was offered the role and a contract until the end of the campaign.

"We have agreed to keep him for manager for this season," Tan said.

"He has a contract to manage to the end of the season, unless of course he does badly. But I have faith in Mark, I think he can do a good job."

Speaking after the defeat to Hull, Hudson confirmed he had "good conversations" with Tan, but needed to finalise a couple of points before officially being named manager.

"There's just a few more pieces that need to be put together," said Hudson.

"I'll speak to him [Tan] later and the board and have a few more discussions in the coming days.

"Ultimately that [defeat] wasn't the way we wanted to see tonight go but there's just those little bits to sort."

Tan had talks with Hudson, his new assistant Dean Whitehead, coach Tom Ramasut and goalkeeper coach Graham Stack.

The Cardiff owner said: "We have an understanding they will do their very best to do a good job for this club and who knows we may be able to make it to the play-offs, and who knows may be able to win the play-offs and be in the Premier League. I believe it's possible."

Tan said he would support Hudson in the January transfer window if the deals "make sense" and avoided what he called "stupid" mistakes of the past, citing the signings of Denmark striker Andreas Cornelius and midfielder Josh Murphy.

Cornelius was signed for £7.5m from FC Copenhagen in June 2013 but within six months was back in the Danish capital, having played little more than 100 minutes of football over 11 games and scored no goals for the Bluebirds.

Murphy joined Cardiff from Norwich City for £11m in June 2018 and played 30 games, scoring three times in his first season in Wales - then bettering that in 2019/2020 with eight goals over 33 games.

He remained a regular the following season but by 2021/2022 had fallen out of favour. When his contract expired in July 2022, Murphy joined League One side Oxford United as a free agent.

'Many approaches'

Tan, who said he watches every game via television wherever he is in the world, underlined his determination to continue at the helm, claiming he had already committed more than £200m into the outfit, an amount he called "embarrassing".

"A big part of my wealth has gone to Cardiff, all my family members want me to sell ASAP," Tan said.

"But I say when the time is right we will but the time is not right, yet."

The Cardiff owner revealed he had received offers to sell the Championship outfit, but had rejected them.

"We have had many approaches but we have turned them down for many reasons. Most of the time it is that I am not really very keen to sell. I think we should take it up to the Premier League," he added.

"And I hope we can do it and that will be the third time, then think about selling.

"Maybe I will decide to stay, maybe we will stay in the PL for 10 years. Who knows."

Interim boss Hudson said he believes Tan matches the ambition of the players and coaching staff at the club.

"He's got a plan for the future which is good, it shows support and that's what the club needs," Hudson added.

"We need everyone together heading in the right direction so the conversations were good."

And Tan has a blunt message for those Cardiff fans unhappy with his reign.

"I am not turning my back on the club. For those guys who want Tan out, if they are so smart maybe they should ask a rich Welshman, probably a billionaire, to buy this club," Tan said.

"Get this new owner to take them to the Premier League and ask them to keep them in the Premier League for the next 10 years. That is my goal and I hope I can do it.

"A big part of my wealth is invested here and I hope it is not all lost."

NYCBlue
09-11-22, 00:07
Tan is mental.

SunderlandBluebird
09-11-22, 00:09
Some of those quotes are bordering on delusional

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-22, 00:09
The immediate aim is to ensure this club stays up

Relegation would be a colossal disaster and it would take many years to recover

We are scraping 16000 now

This club will leak fans if we go down

Talk of the play offs is completely crazy

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 00:17

You still believe this even though it has never happened to us.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 00:18
Cardiff City have offered Mark Hudson the manager's position to the end of the season.

Former captain Hudson stepped up as interim boss following the departure of Steve Morison in September.

Hudson met club owner Vincent Tan ahead of Tuesday night's 3-2 Championship home defeat to Hull City, where he was offered the role and a contract until the end of the campaign.

"We have agreed to keep him for manager for this season," Tan said.

"He has a contract to manage to the end of the season, unless of course he does badly. But I have faith in Mark, I think he can do a good job."

Speaking after the defeat to Hull, Hudson confirmed he had "good conversations" with Tan, but needed to finalise a couple of points before officially being named manager.

"There's just a few more pieces that need to be put together," said Hudson.

"I'll speak to him [Tan] later and the board and have a few more discussions in the coming days.

"Ultimately that [defeat] wasn't the way we wanted to see tonight go but there's just those little bits to sort."

Tan had talks with Hudson, his new assistant Dean Whitehead, coach Tom Ramasut and goalkeeper coach Graham Stack.

The Cardiff owner said: "We have an understanding they will do their very best to do a good job for this club and who knows we may be able to make it to the play-offs, and who knows may be able to win the play-offs and be in the Premier League. I believe it's possible."

Tan said he would support Hudson in the January transfer window if the deals "make sense" and avoided what he called "stupid" mistakes of the past, citing the signings of Denmark striker Andreas Cornelius and midfielder Josh Murphy.

Cornelius was signed for £7.5m from FC Copenhagen in June 2013 but within six months was back in the Danish capital, having played little more than 100 minutes of football over 11 games and scored no goals for the Bluebirds.

Murphy joined Cardiff from Norwich City for £11m in June 2018 and played 30 games, scoring three times in his first season in Wales - then bettering that in 2019/2020 with eight goals over 33 games.

He remained a regular the following season but by 2021/2022 had fallen out of favour. When his contract expired in July 2022, Murphy joined League One side Oxford United as a free agent.

'Many approaches'

Tan, who said he watches every game via television wherever he is in the world, underlined his determination to continue at the helm, claiming he had already committed more than £200m into the outfit, an amount he called "embarrassing".

"A big part of my wealth has gone to Cardiff, all my family members want me to sell ASAP," Tan said.

"But I say when the time is right we will but the time is not right, yet."

The Cardiff owner revealed he had received offers to sell the Championship outfit, but had rejected them.

"We have had many approaches but we have turned them down for many reasons. Most of the time it is that I am not really very keen to sell. I think we should take it up to the Premier League," he added.

"And I hope we can do it and that will be the third time, then think about selling.

"Maybe I will decide to stay, maybe we will stay in the PL for 10 years. Who knows."

Interim boss Hudson said he believes Tan matches the ambition of the players and coaching staff at the club.

"He's got a plan for the future which is good, it shows support and that's what the club needs," Hudson added.

"We need everyone together heading in the right direction so the conversations were good."

And Tan has a blunt message for those Cardiff fans unhappy with his reign.

"I am not turning my back on the club. For those guys who want Tan out, if they are so smart maybe they should ask a rich Welshman, probably a billionaire, to buy this club," Tan said.

"Get this new owner to take them to the Premier League and ask them to keep them in the Premier League for the next 10 years. That is my goal and I hope I can do it.

"A big part of my wealth is invested here and I hope it is not all lost."

Tan managed to get his crack pipe through customs, then.

The Hooded Claw
09-11-22, 00:19
Interesting that Murphy has now been chucked into the same bucket as Cornelius.
Cornelius has gone on to relative success, whereas Murphy is now struggling to get a game at Oxford United.
What do the Warnock Lovers think of this? 🤣

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 00:22
Interesting that Murphy has now been chucked into the same bucket as Cornelius.
Cornelius has gone on to relative success, whereas Murphy is now struggling to get a game at Oxford United.
What do the Warnock Lovers think of this? ��

How the feck hasn't Tan worked out that we've made so little from the millions he's spent on utter gash?

Hilts
09-11-22, 00:33
QPR had 12k tonight and they are playing well. Of course our crowds will fall on relegationn.

Forget relegation. Watching the crap on show at our home games where bizarrely in our worst display for I dont know how long we manage to score more 1 for the 1st time then we are going to lose thousands I reckon on the gates next season.

Cost of living crisis as well no way even if we stay up you cant expect anything other than falling crowds with whats on offer at the CCS.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 00:37
QPR had 12k tonight and they are playing well. Of course our crowds will fall on relegationn.

Never in our history has our crowd dropped by anything remotely significantly after relegation from the 2nd tier. The damage to attendances has always happened in the 2nd tier. It seems to happen to lots of other clubs as well. If a relegated club starts well in the 3rd tier, it will almost always have better crowds than it did in the 2nd tier. That might sound daft but that's a regular occurrence.

12k for QPR is close to a full house.

Hilts
09-11-22, 00:41
Never in our history has our crowd dropped by anything remotely significantly after relegation from the 2nd tier. The damage to attendances has always happened in the 2nd tier. It seems to happen to lots of other clubs as well. If a relegated club starts well in the 3rd tier, it will almost always have better crowds than it did in the 2nd tier. That might sound daft but that's a regular occurrence.

12k for QPR is close to a full house.

Didnt realise the capacity restriction at QPR.

Michael Morris
09-11-22, 00:45
QPR not exactly happy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BEALE OUT!!! All the flirting with Wolves, Glasgow Rangers, too much of a distraction, as good as admitting he’s using QPR as a stepping stone, he’s completely lost the dressing room, back to back home defeats to the WORST teams in the league is absolutely pathetic! time to go!</p>&mdash; Tom Flynn (@tomflynn_photo) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomflynn_photo/status/1590098712491364352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 8, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Canton Kev
09-11-22, 00:57
Credit to Tan, he didn’t just go with the generic pre written statements you’d expect from distant owners. As deluded as I think he is, you can’t deny that that’s fighting talk.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 06:23
I'm sick of him bringing up signings we made during pre seasons preparing for the Premier League as reasons not to spend now.

It is a totally different situation but here's news to you VT, you signed them off. You didn't do it with no knowledge of what was coming in. You did it as an owner who thinks he is the owner, DOF and all seeing eye. Teams make some bad signings when in the Premier League. That's life.

Glad he confirms that he received offers and has rejected them. Will be a bitter pill for some so called ITK members on here to admit.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 06:37
I missed the play offs bit. Did he see the game last night? 😂

Premier League for ten years. 😂
Let's try getting there, not whinging over signings that don't work out for years after and then try staying more than one year. We have the worst record of any team that has reached the Premier League twice in being relegated both times.

Some of the comments are like a sulking child.
Yet some people still think this is the man to take the club forward.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 06:43
Credit to Tan, he didn’t just go with the generic pre written statements you’d expect from distant owners. As deluded as I think he is, you can’t deny that that’s fighting talk.

Fighting talk?

It was like the ramblings of a mad man.

Saying he spent £200 million and all his family want me to sell, but he won't despite receiving offers.

He is talking play offs while all around are thinking relegation more likely.

Still moaning about Cornelius and Murphy. Does he realise our Premier League losses are drops in the ocean compared to many. We hardly spent much at all in Premier League terms.

If that is fighting talk then somebody needs to throw the towel in.

B. Oddie
09-11-22, 06:46
I've heard that one of the rejected offers came from Max Boyce.

Canton Kev
09-11-22, 07:02
Fighting talk?

It was like the ramblings of a mad man.

Saying he spent £200 million and all his family want me to sell, but he won't despite receiving offers.

He is talking play offs while all around are thinking relegation more likely.

Still moaning about Cornelius and Murphy. Does he realise our Premier League losses are drops in the ocean compared to many. We hardly spent much at all in Premier League terms.

If that is fighting talk then somebody needs to throw the towel in.

I think he’s nuts. But he didn’t give the cookie cutter template answers of a man hoping to sell up or who had lost interest is what I mean.

Supposedly over the past couple years he’s been wanting to sell up and this year there’s allegedly been 3 interested parties in taking us on. I think there’s a lot less truth in that after his comments yesterday.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 07:16
I think he’s nuts. But he didn’t give the cookie cutter template answers of a man hoping to sell up or who had lost interest is what I mean.

Supposedly over the past couple years he’s been wanting to sell up and this year there’s allegedly been 3 interested parties in taking us on. I think there’s a lot less truth in that after his comments yesterday.

The way I look at it, if you were interviewing a potential owner for the position if we had an embarrassment of interest and he came out with that stuff in the interview would you put him in charge?

For me he wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Play offs and Premier League at the end of this season talk? Staying ten years in the Premier League? Still moaning about a combined £17.5 million spent in two Premier League visits (signings he oversaw as owner and ultimate decision maker)? Those signings still affecting his willingness to back a totally new manager now is bizarre.
Are there any owners out there that use signings under former managers as reason for potentially not backing the current manager? It is odd.

The owner seems as far removed from the realities of football as he has ever been. The state the club is in is down to him and the people he has employed. He has spent £200m. He sees it as a boast. He has absolutely nothing to show for it outside of two fleeting and failed spells in the Premier League.

That interview to me is not the type of thing I want to hear from somebody who is to take this club forward.
It screams 'The club are in a bad state, I have spent a shedload and am taking no personal responsibility for any of it'.
The talk of possible promotion is most worrying.
It is dml levels of delusional.

goats
09-11-22, 07:20
The immediate aim is to ensure this club stays up

Relegation would be a colossal disaster and it would take many years to recover

We are scraping 16000 now

Talk of the play offs is completely crazy

Wonder what he will make of league 1…….

blue lewj
09-11-22, 07:21
If that interview does not set alarm bes ringing in even the most staunch of Tan fans than I'm not sure what will.

I am amazed at how out of touch the people running the club seem to be.

stan butler
09-11-22, 08:05
If that interview does not set alarm bes ringing in even the most staunch of Tan fans than I'm not sure what will.

I am amazed at how out of touch the people running the club seem to be.

Obsessed multi.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 08:10
Obsessed multi.

Says the Tan apologist and blinkered supporter.

Why would I need a multi you lemon? I post here as myself and with my views.

If I was to guess actual multis round here it would be you, dml and maybe a token nutter thrown in.

Suppose that was a great interview.
Play offs? 😂 Premier League? 😂
With this squad.

Why not finish the stand up routine by saying we target the Champions League in 5 years?

Henry Hill
09-11-22, 08:27
Tan is mental.

Almost as mental as bluelewj

Hilts
09-11-22, 08:30
Id love to know more about these "offers"

I would have thought serious buyers would have been public knowledge.

If its Sam Hammam and a ludicrous bid at least we can laught it off and say carry on Vin.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 08:45
Almost as mental as bluelewj

Yeah, nice one.

Undercoverinwurzelland
09-11-22, 09:08
Having premier league football as your goal is one thing. Having a clue how to deliver it is another.
If he doesn't want to sell he has to let someone else run the club, otherwise we're getting worse and worse and he's losing more and more money.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 09:11
Having premier league football as your goal is one thing. Having a clue how to deliver it is another.
If he doesn't want to sell he has to let someone else run the club, otherwise we're getting worse and worse and he's losing more and more money.

Yes. Exactly this.

It is one thing being crap but we've paid a huge price and been saddled with ever increasing debt to achieve it.
Just throwing bad money after good.

He is the biggest problem here because he continues to fail to recognise that there is a problem. His comments yesterday confirm this more than ever.

superfeathers
09-11-22, 09:16
I've always been of the opinion that Tan does care, and that I'm 60/40 that he's been a decent owner (red aside). We could definitely have worse, but then could do a lot better too. If he was to now sell to an owner that could take the club forwards with a clear direction I think I would look back at his ownership relatively fondly.

The issue as we all know is that Tan doesn't know or understand football. And he's too strong a personality to take enough advice on board or give enough responsibility to football people who could take control of the club.

So it comes down to luck. And we know why he changed them to lucky red.
He thinks Mark Hudson can do a good job. I'm not sure what he bases that on other than hope and luck. Was the same with SM
He thinks he can get a 3rd shot at the Premier league. Maybe for 10 years. But not how. So its all luck
"and who knows we may be able to make it to the play-offs, and who knows may be able to win the play-offs and be in the Premier League. I believe it's possible." he thinks if the wind is blowing in the right direction, it'll happen.

olderblue
09-11-22, 09:19
Yes. Exactly this.

It is one thing being crap but we've paid a huge price and been saddled with ever increasing debt to achieve it.

He is the biggest problem here because he continues to fail to recognise that there is a problem. His comments yesterday confirm this more than ever.

I wonder how much of it, is just posturing?
He's hardly likely to say, I want rid of this business quickly is he?
I still think we'll have new owners before the season is out

Henry Hill
09-11-22, 09:21
Yes. Exactly this.

And yet he’s delivered it twice in 10 years :shrug:

North Cardiff Blue
09-11-22, 09:30
Id love to know more about these "offers"

I would have thought serious buyers would have been public knowledge.

If its Sam Hammam and a ludicrous bid at least we can laught it off and say carry on Vin.

Probably is, talk on the other site the club is only worth what someone wants to pay, so I think he's got some mates together and offered peanuts.

BlueArmy 86
09-11-22, 09:46
Its not as doom and gloom as people on here make out. Amy team in the division is capable of that performance last night, people forget the type of league we're in. We will not go down (bookmark it) but I think playoffs are a bit far. Or maybe, he's planning on making signings in January. This owner has helped us get to the top flight twice already. I wouldn't completely write him off. I just can't see us making a push this season. Stranger things have happened though.

Trigger
09-11-22, 09:53
Heard some of it, it was depressing stuff.

The Wrexham owners in an interview I heard said they know nothing about football so brought in or have left that in the hands of those that do.

We have Tan, Choo and Dalman, barely a full time role at the club between them and even less football knowledge.

Tan repeats the same mistakes over and over, his money tied in the club will grow, he won't get it back. He's like a bitter old gambler that just can't leave it, only he talks about his losses more than the odd big win.

I'm happy we have a club, happy someone is putting the money into it but for someone so wealthy and successful in business he doesn't half continually spend it badly here.

We've had the two promotions, they are difficult to put a price on. They will be his legacy as on and off the pitch currently we look in a worse state than when he arrived.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 09:59
And yet he’s delivered it twice in 10 years :shrug:

What has he delivered?

The first time Malky was put in place by the consortium led by Ghee.
Tan fell out with him famously in the Premier League season where we were relegated.

We were then in a tail spin, a lot like the current one, and employed Warnock.
Everything points to Warnock being the total exception to the rule under Tan.
Most managers he appoints are pure stabs in the dark. I believe we just struck lucky under Warnock.
Those that laugh at that seem to fall short of explaining where the thought process to employ Warnock was on any of the other appointed managers. There is no rhyme or reason to our appointments.

Who outside of Cardiff City would put Mark Hudson in charge for any significant amount of time outside of our club? Not many, that's for sure.

Tan, as sole owner, has delivered on one promotion to the Premier League. He was part of a collective when we appointed Malky and Malky was backed at a time when not many were spending.
He has failed miserably during both Premier League seasons too. Let's not forget that.

So, in short he has gained a promotion as part of a consortium that appointed Malky and threw money at it and with Warnock. Whether people believe the Warnock appointment was a well thought out process and calculated or a pure gamble is up to them. For me the clue is in all the other appointments. We just struck it lucky.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 10:18
He has spent £200 million.

We have two promotions to the Premier League and currently sit 18th in the Championship with arguably the weakest squad we have had since Tan has been here. It is certainly the lowest value squad I can remember us having in the last decade.
You can add the money we made by getting to the Premier League to the money we wasted as without that it would be an even grimmer picture.

Yet some still run with the great owner tag because he puts his own money in every month.

He bails the club out monthly, by how much differs from one source to the next, in large part down to the way he has run the club.
With how much he has spent we should be in a far better position than we are, both in the league position and our health as a club.

the other bob wilson
09-11-22, 10:23

:thumbup:

blue lewj
09-11-22, 10:33
Look at the current situation.

Is it helping sell merchandise, tickets, sponsorship, well anything really? Income streams into the club. They've sat by failing to act since sacking Morison other than putting Hudson in charge with no communication to fans.
Does this way of running the club help minimise our losses or compound them?
At a very basic level does it drag fans out on a wet night to watch the club and put much needed funds into the club or do they think 'the owner doesn't give two monkeys, why should I show any effort if he doesn't?'.

We can do a whole lot better currently and could have done at almost every step of the way under the current owner.

Dorcus
09-11-22, 10:33
I wonder just how much of Tan's statement was pure bloody mindedness and bravado.

He says he's received offers to buy the club. I firmly believe those offers, if they were true, would have been far below his own expectation and that's why he refused to sell.

Perhaps he sees himself in a situation where he realises he's not likely to get an offer anywhere near his liking and so therefore like a gambler he's biding his time to double up on a promotion shot.

Given that he's a successful businessman you would have thought reason would have put a halt to his musings by now.

superfeathers
09-11-22, 10:48
What has he delivered?

The first time Malky was put in place by the consortium led by Ghee.
Tan fell out with him famously in the Premier League season where we were relegated.

We were then in a tail spin, a lot like the current one, and employed Warnock.
Everything points to Warnock being the total exception to the rule under Tan.
Most managers he appoints are pure stabs in the dark. I believe we just struck lucky under Warnock.
Those that laugh at that seem to fall short of explaining where the thought process to employ Warnock was on any of the other appointed managers. There is no rhyme or reason to our appointments.

Who outside of Cardiff City would put Mark Hudson in charge for any significant amount of time outside of our club? Not many, that's for sure.

Tan, as sole owner, has delivered on one promotion to the Premier League. He was part of a collective when we appointed Malky and Malky was backed at a time when not many were spending.
He has failed miserably during both Premier League seasons too. Let's not forget that.

So, in short he has gained a promotion as part of a consortium that appointed Malky and threw money at it and with Warnock. Whether people believe the Warnock appointment was a well thought out process and calculated or a pure gamble is up to them. For me the clue is in all the other appointments. We just struck it lucky.

I wonder whether generally speaking, Managers with a decent track record don't want to come here. Probably because of Tan. With Warnock, maybe he was the exception to the rule because he felt he'd be able to manage Tan (which he did, to be fair). The majority don't want the hassle of an owner like that. So we just take what we can get

Dorcus
09-11-22, 10:53
[QUOTE=superfeathers;5362601]I wonder whether generally speaking, Managers with a decent track record don't want to come here. Probably because of Tan. With Warnock, maybe he was the exception to the rule because he felt he'd be able to manage Tan (which he did, to be fair). The majority don't want the hassle of an owner like that. So we just take what we can get[/QUOTE

I think that's entirely possible. We're probably viewed as a "difficult club" by many good managers.

J R Hartley
09-11-22, 11:01
Well one things for sure his message was two fingers up to the likes of Lewj.

I read that message as “You can make 50 Tan Out posts by 11am if you want, but I’ll go when I’m ready”.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 11:14

I read that message as “You can make 50 Tan Out posts by 11am if you want, but I’ll go when I’m ready”.

Was it?

It reinforced how far out of their depth they are at running a club to those that actually read/listened to it.

If you are showing your full backing to man who thinks this squad is capable of promotion this season then it says more about you than me.

All this from the man who has bitched about the last two managers for all their time here too. Bit of a shock to you but Tan played a big part in picking them.

the other bob wilson
09-11-22, 11:17
[QUOTE=superfeathers;5362601]I wonder whether generally speaking, Managers with a decent track record don't want to come here. Probably because of Tan. With Warnock, maybe he was the exception to the rule because he felt he'd be able to manage Tan (which he did, to be fair). The majority don't want the hassle of an owner like that. So we just take what we can get[/QUOTE

I think that's entirely possible. We're probably viewed as a "difficult club" by many good managers.

I’m sure that’s the case.

superfeathers
09-11-22, 11:26

Vinny probably has most of us on here on ignore now. He just enjoys the odd post about soup makers and will change the Manager again if anymore people start talking about Berwick Rangers

blue lewj
09-11-22, 11:27
Vinny probably has most of us on here on ignore now. He just enjoys the odd post about soup makers and will change the Manager again if anymore people start talking about Berwick Rangers

How great would that be if he was on here. 😂

My money is on dml. He waited an age for the Mehmet thing to go away...

UNDERHILL1927
09-11-22, 11:30
Was it?

It reinforced how far out of their depth they are at running a club to those that actually read/listened to it.

If you are showing your full backing to man who thinks this squad is capable of promotion this season then it says more about you than me.

All this from the man who has bitched about the last two managers for all their time here too. Bit of a shock to you but Tan played a big part in picking them.

100% mate. Just shows how clueless and out of the loop Tan is. If he had any sense he would have got a football man in years ago, he won’t, he’s burying his head in the sand as he’s too stubborn to admit he’s wrong.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 11:31
I wonder whether generally speaking, Managers with a decent track record don't want to come here. Probably because of Tan. With Warnock, maybe he was the exception to the rule because he felt he'd be able to manage Tan (which he did, to be fair). The majority don't want the hassle of an owner like that. So we just take what we can get

I'm almost certain that Tan is a factor, along with strength of squad, money available etc.
Would a trigger happy owner running things on a shoe string with no vision scare anybody, regardless of their line of work?

When put up against clubs in the Championship of our size with a decent owner and money available then I don't think we would come into any progressive manager's thought process really.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 11:32
100% mate. Just shows how clueless and out of the loop Tan is. If he had any sense he would have got a football man in years ago, he won’t, he’s burying his head in the sand as he’s too stubborn to admit he’s wrong.

Definitely

superfeathers
09-11-22, 11:34
How great would that be if he was on here. ��

My money is on dml. He waited an age for the Mehmet thing to go away...

I reckon bluearmy86, his last comment was a giveaway "Or maybe, he's planning on making signings in January. This owner has helped us get to the top flight twice already. I wouldn't completely write him off. I just can't see us making a push this season. Stranger things have happened though."

blue lewj
09-11-22, 11:36
I reckon bluearmy86, his last comment was a giveaway "Or maybe, he's planning on making signings in January. This owner has helped us get to the top flight twice already. I wouldn't completely write him off. I just can't see us making a push this season. Stranger things have happened though."

Good point that. That one went under the radar.

It could be me. I'm just playing the most robust of double bluffs....

superfeathers
09-11-22, 11:37
I'm almost certain that Tan is a factor, along with strength of squad, money available etc.
Would a trigger happy owner running things on a shoe string with no vision scare anybody, regardless of their line of work?

When put up against clubs in the Championship of our size with a decent owner and money available then I don't think we would come into any progressive manager's thought process really.

I think when you look at all of our recent Managers, (Warnock aside), they came as a gamble for City, and for the Managers because they wouldn't get a better job elsewhere so they were equally happy to have a shot in the dark at it

superfeathers
09-11-22, 11:38
Good point that. That one went under the radar.

It could be me. I'm just playing the most robust of double bluffs....

Thanks for your efforts but time to go, just sell it to someone who will take us forwards, please.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 11:43
I think when you look at all of our recent Managers, (Warnock aside), they came as a gamble for City, and for the Managers because they wouldn't get a better job elsewhere so they were equally happy to have a shot in the dark at it

Without doubt.

Who would employ those people other than city, at our level at least?
The answer lies in where they were before and where they are now. Nowhere mainly or at a lower level.

But the same people who oversaw this conveyor belt of garbage managers apparently came up with a master plan to land Warnock? I feel bad for the people who think Warnock and his appointment was in any way planned in any more detail than any of the other gambles.

We just struck it lucky with a manager who was a master manipulator and was as good, if not better, at managing up as he was managing the playing side of it.

BlueArmy 86
09-11-22, 11:55

:hehe: I just hope I'm not on his blocked list

blue lewj
09-11-22, 12:05
Out of all our managers under Tan almost all (Warnock's unsuccessful spell with Boro and Ole's lottery win United gig aside) have gone on to either go back to being unemployed or managed at significantly lower levels.

The last manager we employed and moved from another club was Russel Slade.

Malky - Came from Watford. Currently managing Ross County.
Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed.
Slade - Came from Leyton Orient. Currently unemployed.
Trollope - Employed from within. Currently assistant at Nottingham Forest
Warnock - Unattached. Currently unemployed
Harris - Unattached. Currently Gills manager
McCarthy - Unattached. Currently unemployed
Morison - Employed from within. Currently unemployed.
Hudson - Employed from within

It is quite grim when looking at where most of them are now.
After Slade to say that the appointments have been done on the cheap, compensation wise, would be an understatement and most haven't exactly gone on to light up the football world.

superfeathers
09-11-22, 12:19
Out of all our managers under Tan almost all (Warnock's unsuccessful spell with Boro and Ole's lottery win United gig aside) have gone on to either go back to being unemployed or managed at significantly lower levels.

Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed.

After Slade to say that the appointments have been done on the cheap, compensation wise, would be an understatement and most haven't exactly gone on to light up the football world.

But we quickly tie them down with a contract so as not to lose them as soon as they have a run of form.
Or in Hudson's case, quickly tie him down with a contract despite not having a run of form (good form)

blue lewj
09-11-22, 12:36
But we quickly tie them down with a contract so as not to lose them as soon as they have a run of form.
Or in Hudson's case, quickly tie him down with a contract despite not having a run of form (good form)

Yeah. It is anybody's guess as to why we do that?
An outsider looking in might suggest we have little idea what we're doing here.

I'm more worried that we seem to be fishing in the out of a job manager market and those managers in the main achieve little here and move on to jobs at lower levels after here.

The 'Transfer Committee' and 'Great Owner' for you ladies and gentlemen.

logic
09-11-22, 12:39

Malky - Came from Watford. Currently managing Ross County. You've ignored the racist, sexism and antisemitic comments he was found to have made which clearly damaged his career prospects and rightly so. You've also ignored his failed spell at Wigan, with a win rate of 20%.
Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed. Think he also managed a pretty big club, not sure who though.
Slade - Came from Leyton Orient. Currently unemployed. Employed to keep us up after Ole whilst cutting costs; sure the football was crap but he did the job he was employed to do.
Trollope - Employed from within. Currently assistant at Nottingham Forest. It's entirely feasible Trollope was groomed to replace Slade in a similar way that Liverpool used to promote from within. Not all coaches make great managers, swing and a miss corrected quickly.
Warnock - Unattached. Currently unemployed Managed Middlesboro after us, currently retired. Had the most success of the managers on this list by a mile.
Harris - Unattached. Currently Gills manager Was unemployed for 6 weeks after being fired by Millwall. Currently tearing up few trees at Gillingham.
McCarthy - Unattached. Currently unemployed. An attempt to recreate the success of Warnock, possibly. First part season, a success. The start of the second, poor, possibly having lost the dressing room in the process - Moore in particular seemed to be pouting having not got a move to Wolves.
Morison - Employed from within. Currently unemployed. Formerly u23 manager, tasked with helping produce youngsters for the first time who seemingly had little faith in the youngsters given the numbers released or not used.
Hudson - Employed from within Interim manager until end of the season.

Seems a fairly broad mix there - some young, upcoming, some experienced and Slade hired to stabilise after Ole. Mistakes have clearly been made but that can be said of many clubs.

There have been improvements under Hudson, certainly attacking wise, but there are still issues within the squad. We've too many underperforming players who many championed after a pre-season of beating up lower league clubs. Too many players who are going missing - players Morison bigged up with them having 900 Championship games under their belts.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 12:43
Malky - Came from Watford. Currently managing Ross County. You've ignored the racist, sexism and antisemitic comments he was found to have made which clearly damaged his career prospects and rightly so. You've also ignored his failed spell at Wigan, with a win rate of 20%.
Ole - Came from Molde. Went back to Molde in next job after City. Currently unemployed. Think he also managed a pretty big club, not sure who though.
Slade - Came from Leyton Orient. Currently unemployed. Employed to keep us up after Ole whilst cutting costs; sure the football was crap but he did the job he was employed to do.
Trollope - Employed from within. Currently assistant at Nottingham Forest. It's entirely feasible Trollope was groomed to replace Slade in a similar way that Liverpool used to promote from within. Not all coaches make great managers, swing and a miss corrected quickly.
Warnock - Unattached. Currently unemployed Managed Middlesboro after us, currently retired. Had the most success of the managers on this list by a mile.
Harris - Unattached. Currently Gills manager Was unemployed for 6 weeks after being fired by Millwall. Currently tearing up few trees at Gillingham.
McCarthy - Unattached. Currently unemployed. An attempt to recreate the success of Warnock, possibly. First part season, a success. The start of the second, poor, possibly having lost the dressing room in the process - Moore in particular seemed to be pouting having not got a move to Wolves.
Morison - Employed from within. Currently unemployed. Formerly u23 manager, tasked with helping produce youngsters for the first time who seemingly had little faith in the youngsters given the numbers released or not used.
Hudson - Employed from within Interim manager until end of the season.

Seems a fairly broad mix there - some young, upcoming, some experienced and Slade hired to stabilise after Ole. Mistakes have clearly been made but that can be said of many clubs.

There have been improvements under Hudson, certainly attacking wise, but there are still issues within the squad. We've too many underperforming players who many championed after a pre-season of beating up lower league clubs. Too many players who are going missing - players Morison bigged up with them having 900 Championship games under their belts.

Did you miss the first paragraph purposely?

Also some comments such as 'An attempt to recreate the success of Warnock'. A manager employed to produce success? Who would have thought it.

Trollope employed to be promoted from within in the same style as Liverpool is one of the funniest things I've read on here.

You could argue there is a fairly broad mix if you want to split hairs.
You could also say since Slade barring Warnock they've had a lot in common in that they are cheap, ultimately crap and not wanted elsewhere at this level.

Cleve van Leef
09-11-22, 13:12
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Don’t know why he just doesn’t give the Club away. Some believe there are billionaires out the just aching to take over Cardiff City, sorry but they ain’t around.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-22, 13:18
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Don’t know why he just doesn’t give the Club away. Some believe there are billionaires out the just aching to take over Cardiff City, sorry but they ain’t around.

I totally agree with that

But clearly he should have experienced football men ....or women .....in charge of his investment over here

blue lewj
09-11-22, 13:29

Damned if he does and doesn't do what exactly?

If he runs the football club well and actually learnt from mistakes then I am sure most fans would be satisfied. Increasing debt while overseeing a complete basket case of a club is totally different.

Cleve van Leef
09-11-22, 13:31
I totally agree with that

But clearly he should have experienced football men ....or women .....in charge of his investment over here

Yes he should have better people overseeing the running of the Club. Big mistake that he hasn’t.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 13:31
Tan took over as owner in May 2010. That means he's spent 12 years and £200m turning a side that finished 4th in the Championship to a side that is currently 18th in the same division.

Well done, Vinnie. That's a big achievement.

Cleve van Leef
09-11-22, 13:33
Damned if he does and doesn't do what exactly?

If he runs the football club well and actually learnt from mistakes then I am sure most fans would be satisfied. Increasing debt while overseeing a complete basket case of a club is totally different.

Whatever he does is wrong in most fans eyes, especially those who have the biggest “pull”.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 13:36
Whatever he does is wrong in most fans eyes, especially those who have the biggest “pull”.

What has he done well in your eyes outside of putting money into the club? I'm genuinely interested.

Do you think there is any in depth method or thinking in our managerial appointments? Why does nobody else seem to want the managers we get?

The transfer committee have a hands on involvement in signing players (along with the manager they have picked) and Vincent Tan signs them off ultimately. Is it then fair for VT and the board to throw that manager under the bus and remove themselves from blame every time?

A Quiet Monkfish
09-11-22, 13:52
I've no axe to grind regarding Tan's financial commitment to the club - for someone who knew next to nothing about football delivering 2 promotions to the top flight and putting in £200 million into the club - he deserves credit and perhaps little bit of respect. Where I do think he's gone wrong is leaving the management of the club to a couple of part-timers, and overseeing major decisions from 1000's of miles away. It doesn't make business sense, and when things aren't going well on the pitch it feels as though the club is just treading water, somewhat 'neglected'.
You need involvement from owners/management even if it's just to make fans feel it's a club with a heart. At the moment it feels like a lock-up at the rear of an old industrial estate. For all his faults Hamman created that 'buzz' - and that's what the club needs right now IMHO..

superfeathers
09-11-22, 14:05
I've no axe to grind regarding Tan's financial commitment to the club - for someone who knew next to nothing about football delivering 2 promotions to the top flight and putting in £200 million into the club - he deserves credit and perhaps little bit of respect. Where I do think he's gone wrong is leaving the management of the club to a couple of part-timers, and overseeing major decisions from 1000's of miles away. It doesn't make business sense, and when things aren't going well on the pitch it feels as though the club is just treading water, somewhat 'neglected'.
You need involvement from owners/management even if it's just to make fans feel it's a club with a heart. At the moment it feels like a lock-up at the rear of an old industrial estate. For all his faults Hamman created that 'buzz' - and that's what the club needs right now IMHO..

I agree that he deserves some respect, he's kept the club running, as I think he and many others have said there's no big queue of Welsh businessmen looking to take it over. I do think the decisions he's made are because he thinks they're the right ones. His intentions are good but generally speaking the results aren't.

But that's the trouble, the club is being run blind and with decisions being made based on guesswork and hoping to have a bit of luck. It's no wonder that we're in the position that we are, and have no direction. I don't think that will change, because he thinks his decisions are right. Unless his mum tells him.

OurManFlint II
09-11-22, 14:06
When "we" say Tan's put 200 million into the club, is this then the assumption he'll walk away for free, or he'll recover most if not the majority of that?

Cleve van Leef
09-11-22, 14:11
What has he done well in your eyes outside of putting money into the club? I'm genuinely interested.

Do you think there is any in depth method or thinking in our managerial appointments? Why does nobody else seem to want the managers we get?

The transfer committee have a hands on involvement in signing players (along with the manager they have picked) and Vincent Tan signs them off ultimately. Is it then fair for VT and the board to throw that manager under the bus and remove themselves from blame every time?

Keeping the Club afloat, overseeing 2 promotions to the PL even though they didn’t work out.
Mistakes, not employing the right people to run the Club properly, directors and managers.
The way people act on here it’s as if buyers are queuing to takeover the Club. They aren’t.
Better the devil you know as they say.

Earnie's bench seat
09-11-22, 14:16
I wonder how much of it, is just posturing?
He's hardly likely to say, I want rid of this business quickly is he?
I still think we'll have new owners before the season is out

Not 100% on new owners before the end of the season, but I'm inclined to agree re: the posturing.

Tan isn't going to say outright he wants to sell; that only devalues his asset and he'll end up with less money than he's probably looking for. Admitting he wants to sell weakens his position financially.

If he talks up the club of being in the Premier League then (at a guess...) he's trying to talk up the standing and potential of the club and where it can go - and essentially increase the money someone will pay for it.

My guess is he would sell, he just hasn't been offered the money he wants for it yet.

He needed to make a call on Hudson, but getting him in to the end of the season only means any new buyers wouldn't have a long, bit cost contract they'd be liable for.

At a guess, I think once/if Sala is resolved, at least in some shape or form, we'll see a new owner. I can't see a new owner coming in while that's still hanging over the club; I don't think anyone with sense would touch the club (for now) with that case still hanging over it.

Just a thought though of course.

superfeathers
09-11-22, 14:25
Keeping the Club afloat, overseeing 2 promotions to the PL even though they didn’t work out.
Mistakes, not employing the right people to run the Club properly, directors and managers.
The way people act on here it’s as if buyers are queuing to takeover the Club. They aren’t.
Better the devil you know as they say.

Agree to a point but you can't keep making the same mistakes time and time again and not have supporters get frustrated

blue matt
09-11-22, 14:39
Tan took over as owner in May 2010. That means he's spent 12 years and £200m turning a side that finished 4th in the Championship to a side that is currently 18th in the same division.

I guess we have forgotten about the court cases every month or 2, owing money to numerous people, Oh for the days before VT took over, Scam and the Riddler running things :hehe::hehe: oh how we enjoyed them days, HMRC threading us every month, selling ST in advance to pay some Bills

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 14:52
I guess we have forgotten about the court cases every month or 2, owing money to numerous people, Oh for the days before VT took over, Scam and the Riddler running things :hehe::hehe: oh how we enjoyed them days, HMRC threading us every month, selling ST in advance to pay some Bills

That has nothing to do with whether you think that £200m represents money well spent.

OurManFlint II
09-11-22, 14:55
Not 100% on new owners before the end of the season, but I'm inclined to agree re: the posturing.

Tan isn't going to say outright he wants to sell; that only devalues his asset and he'll end up with less money than he's probably looking for. Admitting he wants to sell weakens his position financially.

If he talks up the club of being in the Premier League then (at a guess...) he's trying to talk up the standing and potential of the club and where it can go - and essentially increase the money someone will pay for it.

My guess is he would sell, he just hasn't been offered the money he wants for it yet.

He needed to make a call on Hudson, but getting him in to the end of the season only means any new buyers wouldn't have a long, bit cost contract they'd be liable for.

At a guess, I think once/if Sala is resolved, at least in some shape or form, we'll see a new owner. I can't see a new owner coming in while that's still hanging over the club; I don't think anyone with sense would touch the club (for now) with that case still hanging over it.

Just a thought though of course.

Rory Smith from the New York Times said that all most all teams in England are for sale, I think he singled out Chelsea (before the war this was) and another who weren't, it was in reference to the Vulture Capital groups.

I suspect the due diligence is better than when mike ashley bought Newcastle and don't think Tans posturing / dreams will impact much but the Sala liability will.

blue matt
09-11-22, 14:59
That has nothing to do with whether you think that £200m represents money well spent.

you didn't ask if people thought it represents value of money

It does put into perspective that while VT might be spending ( his own money ), at least we are not in the same position that we were with Scam and the Riddler running the show, so thats a plus

Dorcus
09-11-22, 15:05

Absolutely right, it's irrelevant. And who says it's inevitable any new owners who take over will run the club badly? That's just pure negativism.

jon1959
09-11-22, 15:07

Tan didn't deal with that elephant in the room - although perhaps Abbandonato and Phillips didn't ask?

It was an interesting interview for what wasn't said as much as what was. I can accept that he watches all the games, speaks or texts the manager and CEO regularly, and has an emotional as well as financial stake in the club. But he is bleeding money without a plan, without a board worth the name, and without any experience or expertise directing things - relying just on Dalman/Choo to track the money side, and the manager with Borley to do the football bit. That is no way to run a club, business or investment of this size.

The plan seems to be stop spending money on expensive has-beens and instead bring in young players (from the academy or outside) who will grow as assets on the pitch and on the balance sheet. That is not a plan - although it might be one element of a plan! The other part of the plan seems to be wishful thinking and hoping to get lucky.

He also talked about maybe backing the manager in the January window. That is surprising and welcome as far as it goes, but there has been total radio silence from the club on the FIFA/CAS ruling on the Sala case and the transfer embargo that is hanging over us. How will that be resolved to allow the manager (presumably still Mark Hudson) to strengthen this fragile squad? Nothing said - and again maybe no questions asked?

Dorcus
09-11-22, 15:08

He could possibly do worse than give the club away if he's on course to lose another £200 mill.

Trigger
09-11-22, 15:12

Tan didn't deal with that elephant in the room - although perhaps Abbandonato and Phillips didn't ask?

It was an interesting interview for what wasn't said as much as what was. I can accept that he watches all the games, speaks or texts the manager and CEO regularly, and has an emotional as well as financial stake in the club. But he is bleeding money without a plan, without a board worth the name, and without any experience or expertise directing things - relying just on Dalman/Choo to track the money side, and the manager with Borley to do the football bit. That is no way to run a club, business or investment of this size.

The plan seems to be stop spending money on expensive has-beens and instead bring in young players (from the academy or outside) who will grow as assets on the pitch and on the balance sheet. That is not a plan - although it might be one element of a plan! The other part of the plan seems to be wishful thinking and hoping to get lucky.

He also talked about maybe backing the manager in the January window. That is surprising and welcome as far as it goes, but there has been total radio silence from the club on the FIFA/CAS ruling on the Sala case and the transfer embargo that is hanging over us. How will that be resolved to allow the manager (presumably still Mark Hudson) to strengthen this fragile squad? Nothing said - and again maybe no questions asked?

Questions seem poor, it's the same with the press conferences.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 15:13
you didn't ask if people thought it represents value of money

It does put into perspective that while VT might be spending ( his own money ), at least we are not in the same position that we were with Scam and the Riddler running the show, so thats a plus

I think I did in a roundabout way. £200m to be in a poorer position in the league seems rather a lot.

I don't buy into the argument that "at least it's not Hammam or Ridsdale". Those two were at the extreme end.

Under Tan we've spent lots of money on players who turned out to be crap and needed paying off. We've spent lots on managers who turned out to be crap and needed paying off.

The main reason he's had to spend so much of his own money is because the club he owns has made so many cock ups. This, is in no small part, because of his own vanity and refusal to bring in a board who knows football. Instead of thinking he's such a good egg for bailing us out, ask why we keep losing so much money in the first place, then look at Tan.

TWGL1
09-11-22, 15:21

There are plenty of other clubs who have spent a lot more than us and are in a worse position both in terms of league and financial position. Big Achievement :hehe:

There are also clubs who have spent recklessly who never even made it to the Premier League

Stoke , Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City , Huddersfield Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton, QPR, Reading , Derby , Barnsley, Bradford,Hull , Swansea, Cov, Wimbledon and to a certain extent Swindon

BlueArmy 86
09-11-22, 15:23
What percent of clubs in the top two divisions in this pyramid have fans happy who are with their owners? There can't be many. There are a lot worse owners than ours..

blue lewj
09-11-22, 15:27
There are plenty of other clubs who have spent a lot more than us and are in a worse position both in terms of league and financial position. Big Achievement :hehe:

There are also clubs who have spent recklessly who never even made it to the Premier League

Stoke , Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City , Huddersfield Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton, QPR, Reading , Derby , Barnsley, Bradford,Hull , Swansea, Cov, Wimbledon and to a certain extent Swindon

How many of those clubs listed have more debt than us?

TWGL1
09-11-22, 15:31
How many of those clubs listed have more debt than us?

Nothing to do with the debt as such it’s whether it’s serviceable.
We also have a brand new stadium and new training ground in Llanrumney which many of them don’t

goats
09-11-22, 15:32
Yes he should have better people overseeing the running of the Club. Big mistake that he hasn’t.

Says he embarrassed about the money blown, yet no mention of his CEOs, maybe all the decisions are actually his and he’s just not very good at running a club. Does help to know if you are actually losing 3 million a month or £300,000……that’s a good start.

J R Hartley
09-11-22, 16:17
Was it?

I must have missed the bit where I gave him my full backing? Would you like to point to out?

I am merely stating the fact that he clearly couldn’t give a monkeys what you think and that was evident in his message. So carry on getting up at 6.30am in the morning and posting relentlessly about him, you’re clearly wasting your time.

Des Parrot
09-11-22, 16:39
I think I did in a roundabout way. £200m to be in a poorer position in the league seems rather a lot.

I don't buy into the argument that "at least it's not Hammam or Ridsdale". Those two were at the extreme end.

Under Tan we've spent lots of money on players who turned out to be crap and needed paying off. We've spent lots on managers who turned out to be crap and needed paying off.

The main reason he's had to spend so much of his own money is because the club he owns has made so many cock ups. This, is in no small part, because of his own vanity and refusal to bring in a board who knows football. Instead of thinking he's such a good egg for bailing us out, ask why we keep losing so much money in the first place, then look at Tan.

We have a winner.

blue lewj
09-11-22, 16:46
I must have missed the bit where I gave him my full backing? Would you like to point to out?

I am merely stating the fact that he clearly couldn’t give a monkeys what you think and that was evident in his message. So carry on getting up at 6.30am in the morning and posting relentlessly about him, you’re clearly wasting your time.

Do you honestly think I believed Vincent Tan was responding to people that post on here?

I couldn't give a flying fig if he personally mooned me through my front window. It still wouldn't change my opinion on how he runs the club.

As I've said before about my posts on here. They're as pointless as the next person's. You just post a lot more than me.

TWGL1
09-11-22, 16:53
Do you honestly think I believed Vincent Tan was responding to people that post on here?

I couldn't give a flying fig if he personally mooned me through my front window. It still wouldn't change my opinion on how he runs the club.

As I've said before about my posts on here. They're as pointless as the next person's. You just post a lot more than me.

You’re keeping on a bit now.

Paul0453
09-11-22, 16:54
Swansea were in the Premier League for 7 seasons!

blue lewj
09-11-22, 16:54
You’re keeping on a bit now.

I'm replying to somebody.

If you think I'm going on then scroll past.

Paul0453
09-11-22, 16:58

Swansea were in the Premier League for 7 seasons!

DubaiDai
09-11-22, 17:06
Tan managed to get his crack pipe through customs, then.

When was the last time Tan attended a City game at the stadium ?
For that matter when was the last time Dalman came to a game ?

TWGL1
09-11-22, 17:08
They were indeed I used them as an example taking into account if that and the fact they have also received over £200m
In transfer fees. They should flush with cash, but they are not are they.

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 17:16
We also have a brand new stadium and new training ground in Llanrumney which many of them don’t

Not sure any of the other clubs listed would want a training ground in Llanrumney....

Hilts
09-11-22, 17:22
Not sure any of the other clubs listed would want a training ground in Llanrumney....

I bet Coventry wouldnt mind a Stadium in an estate in their City let alone a training ground.

TWGL1
09-11-22, 17:27
I bet Coventry wouldnt mind a Stadium in an estate in their City let alone a training ground.

Coventry are £38.6m in debt without a stadium

UNDERHILL1927
09-11-22, 17:27
Says he embarrassed about the money blown, yet no mention of his CEOs, maybe all the decisions are actually his and he’s just not very good at running a club. Does help to know if you are actually losing 3 million a month or £300,000……that’s a good start.

He’s completely in denial and has maintained an arrogant holier than thou attitude for ten years. He can **** off

J R Hartley
09-11-22, 17:32

Do I? Just because you rarely used your account until last few years (probably had another account) you’ve made 500 posts in the last month. I’d guess 95% of them saying the same thing.

You’ve made about 30 on this thread since 6.30am :hehe:

Hilts
09-11-22, 17:32
Coventry are £38.6m in debt without a stadium

Havent they been in administration as well like others quoted.

TWGL1
09-11-22, 17:38
Havent they been in administration as well like others quoted.

Oh yes, good point that.

Ninian1962
09-11-22, 18:07

Just a couple of minor clarification points

1. The CCS is under a long term lease. The landlords are Cardiff County Council who own the freehold.

2. Cardiff City FC have no financial interest in the development in Llanrumney. It will be leased on an initial 30 year term by the House of Sport company and CCFC will just hire the use of it on certain days.

TWGL1
09-11-22, 18:17
Just a couple of minor clarification points

1. The CCS is under a long term lease. The landlords are Cardiff County Council who own the freehold.

2. Cardiff City FC have no financial interest in the development in Llanrumney. It will be leased on an initial 30 year term by the House of Sport company and CCFC will just hire the use of it on certain days.

The stadium will still be on the balance sheet though and the HOS is owned by Steve Borley isn’t it ?

blue lewj
09-11-22, 18:35
Do I? Just because you rarely used your account until last few years (probably had another account) you’ve made 500 posts in the last month. I’d guess 95% of them saying the same thing.

You’ve made about 30 on this thread since 6.30am :hehe:

But still quite some way short of yours 😂

You've posted over 8,000 more times than me in less time. Dress it up how you like.

Ninian1962
09-11-22, 18:43
The stadium will still be on the balance sheet though and the HOS is owned by Steve Borley isn’t it ?

Yes the stadium is on the balance sheet and is a valuable income generating asset but can`t be sold on without the Council`s permission.

Yes HOS is partly owned by Steve Borley (and Vincent Tan) but not CCFC which will only hire its use (like it does with the Leckwith athletics stadium where some of Academy teams play)

TWGL1
09-11-22, 18:46
Yes the stadium is on the balance sheet and is a valuable income generating asset but can`t be sold on without the Council`s permission.

Yes HOS is partly owned by Steve Borley (and Vincent Tan) but not CCFC which will only hire its use (like it does with the Leckwith athletics stadium where some of Academy teams play)

How much of V.T’s £200m expenditure would have been on the stadium build / New stand / planning etc ?

Ninian1962
09-11-22, 19:02
How much of V.T’s £200m expenditure would have been on the stadium build / New stand / planning etc ?

The stadium was completed in 2009 so VT didn`t have to spend anything on planning or its construction.

The spend on the "red seats" stand expansion was just under £12m

TWGL1
09-11-22, 19:10
The stadium was completed in 2009 so VT didn`t have to spend anything on planning or its construction.

The spend on the "red seats" stand expansion was just under £12m

Thanks for the clarification. Out of interest who paid for the stadium build then ?

Powis blue
09-11-22, 20:50

The house of sport is jointly owned by tan and borley

Ninian1962
09-11-22, 21:13
Thanks for the clarification. Out of interest who paid for the stadium build then ?

The land on which the stadium was built was gifted by the Council. PMG made a contribution in exchange for getting permission to develop the retail park next to the ground. The Council also allowed the club to retain most of the proceeds from the sale of Ninian Park for housing (about £9m from memory).

Therefore the cost to the club was far less than the full cost of the build.

TWGL1
09-11-22, 21:16
The land on which the stadium was built was gifted by the Council. PMG made a contribution in exchange for getting permission to develop the retail park next to the ground. The Council also allowed the club to retain most of the proceeds from the sale of Ninian Park for housing (about £9m from memory).

Still a cost though , which would be a reasonable amount of the current debt.

SLUDGE FACTORY
09-11-22, 21:25

To say we have been very fortunate in regard to the stadium is possibly an understatement?

Ninian1962
09-11-22, 21:40
Still a cost though , which would be a reasonable amount of the current debt.

The total cost of the stadium build in the accounts is £43m

Eric the Half a Bee
09-11-22, 22:21
According to transfermarkt, and I'm not saying for a second that it is absolutely 100% accurate, particularly when it comes to transfer fees, so this should be taken with a pinch of salt, but in the 12 years that Tan has been in charge, we've spend around £80million more in transfer fees than we've recouped. Much of that comes from our Premier League stints of course.