PDA

View Full Version : John Lewis advert - Cracker this year

North Cardiff Blue
10-11-22, 11:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmTzJOW-6s

Well done john Lewis, that's a great one, brought a tear!

superfeathers
10-11-22, 12:02

It's decent but Asda's is definitely better!

North Cardiff Blue
10-11-22, 12:10
It's decent but Asda's is definitely better!

Not bad just watched it, I'll give John Lewis a 10/10, and Asda a solid 9/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnW1TWqAXYs

Rock_Flock_of_Five
10-11-22, 14:17

Any idea what the song is?

binman
10-11-22, 14:18
All the Small Things

Blink 182

If it’s the ad my wife just made me watch

superfeathers
10-11-22, 14:19
Any idea what the song is?

All the small things, Blink182, I'm not sure if you're making me feel old, or young

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-11-22, 14:53
Is it really great ?

Good cause but the government and John Lewis could get together and fund things rather than put out one of these adverts

Nobody's Rep
10-11-22, 15:48
Is it really great ?

Good cause but the government and John Lewis could get together and fund things rather than put out one of these adverts

Funding things and raising awareness aren't mutually exclusive though are they - you can do both

Successive governments recognise that social care in general needs funding properly but it is not sexy enough for the public to support as it would require a redistribution of existing spend, a change in commissioning practices and potentially tax increases to fund the gap - none of which will happen and hasn't happened for the near two decades it has been required

However until the social care crisis is solved then the NHS crisis will remain exactly that - a crisis

superfeathers
10-11-22, 16:01
Is it really great ?

I can't really see an issue with this. If they're raising awareness and money for the cause, then when I've got the choice of buying something that's the same price as JL in say, Boots or Amazon, then i'd buy it from John Lewis. If a company is doing a bit of good I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that they are

TWGL1
10-11-22, 19:18
Good advert , there is still a stigma around looked after children which infuriates me.

tforturton
10-11-22, 19:47
A cracker? I would have vomited on the floor, except I was weeping so much. Tick box after tick box. Sorry, but that's not an Christmas advert - it's a self-serving bucket of smarm.

bluesp
10-11-22, 20:11
I’m not usually a fan of these Christmas adverts, but I liked that one. I’m lucky to do a fair bit of work with Action for Children so every penny they get from this is fine by me.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-11-22, 23:29
I can't really see an issue with this. If they're raising awareness and money for the cause, then when I've got the choice of buying something that's the same price as JL in say, Boots or Amazon, then i'd buy it from John Lewis. If a company is doing a bit of good I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that they are

Compared to the profits these companies make flogging stuff at Xmas I think it's a pretty good deal

AfricanBluebird
11-11-22, 08:29
Sorry to interject

The John Lewis Foundation does some tremendous work funding many UK and global initiatives for children and young people.

I have dealt with a lot of funders of such projects and the JLF (also the Waitrose Foundation - part of the same group) - are some of the best. The process of gaining funding from them is diligent but not burdensome and they are a very nice group of people to work with.

They support care leavers, children to remain in their families and also a huge investment to help ensure that their supply chains are 'ethical' and doesn't include any child labour and have fair standards.

So this is a good positive post!

AfricanBluebird
11-11-22, 08:35
I’m not usually a fan of these Christmas adverts, but I liked that one. I’m lucky to do a fair bit of work with Action for Children so every penny they get from this is fine by me.

Worked with Action for Children in Uganda - excellent organisation. We share the same values.... community approaches and strengthening for children and ensuring children are not institutionalised, tackling corruption and also ensuring and lobbying governments to fulfil their legal and mandated commitments to children (UNCRC etc).

Des Parrot
11-11-22, 15:19
Sorry to interject

The John Lewis Foundation does some tremendous work funding many UK and global initiatives for children and young people.

I have dealt with a lot of funders of such projects and the JLF (also the Waitrose Foundation - part of the same group) - are some of the best. The process of gaining funding from them is diligent but not burdensome and they are a very nice group of people to work with.

They support care leavers, children to remain in their families and also a huge investment to help ensure that their supply chains are 'ethical' and doesn't include any child labour and have fair standards.

So this is a good positive post!

Nice response mate. It great that someone with your credibility can comment on the real situation.

Citizen's Nephew
11-11-22, 15:24
Nice response mate. It great that someone with your credibility can comment on the real situation.

:thumbup: agreed.

blue matt
11-11-22, 16:02
Worked with Action for Children in Uganda - excellent organisation. We share the same values.... community approaches and strengthening for children and ensuring children are not institutionalised, tackling corruption and also ensuring and lobbying governments to fulfil their legal and mandated commitments to children (UNCRC etc).

do you find in Uganda that money goes missing and a % of it is given as backhanders ?? ?

the Community I have helped out at in Zimbabwe had one of the schools headteachers run off with money that was meant to fix one of the classrooms roofs recently,

Wales-Bales
11-11-22, 16:10
All the small things, Blink182, I'm not sure if you're making me feel old, or young
I don't know who's singing, but it's not blink-182.

Rjk
11-11-22, 16:15
speaking of things that bring a tear to the eye: this tweet

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1590651743301505026?t=6DEuOow8AOJ2LFHbKu6xFw&s=19

Citizen's Nephew
11-11-22, 16:43

You're not wrong. It's a horrible cover in the ad by Postmodern Jukebox featuring Puddles Pity Party!

This is how it's meant to be (personally would have preferred this version and a less insipid edit of the ad but I'm just cold and unfeeling!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ht5RZpzPqw

superfeathers
11-11-22, 16:49

Sorry, the original I meant

Wales-Bales
11-11-22, 16:50
You're not wrong. It's a horrible cover in the ad by Postmodern Jukebox featuring Puddles Pity Party!

This is how it's meant to be (personally would have preferred this version and a less insipid edit of the ad but I'm just cold and unfeeling!)That's more like it! :biggrin:

blue matt
11-11-22, 16:53
saw Blink 182 at reading, highly enjoyable, a quick google tells me it was 2003, which works out timewise

almost 20 years ago :angry:

Wales-Bales
11-11-22, 16:56
Sorry, the original I meant
blink-182 have reformed and they are touring next year, so it's a good promo for them.

Citizen's Nephew
11-11-22, 16:57
saw Blink 182 at reading, highly enjoyable, a quick google tells me it was 2003, which works out timewise

almost 20 years ago :angry:

That's scary! I'd have quite liked to have seen them but only at a small venue.

Wash DC Blue
11-11-22, 17:23
speaking of things that bring a tear to the eye: this tweet

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1590651743301505026?t=6DEuOow8AOJ2LFHbKu6xFw&s=19

Yep.
That certainly did :(

superfeathers
11-11-22, 17:29
blink-182 have reformed and they are touring next year, so it's a good promo for them.

Yes hopefully more people listen to theirs, scary that some kids will hear that on the advert and think it's the original

bluesp
11-11-22, 19:06

That’s great to hear

ToTaL ITK
11-11-22, 21:31
I'll tell you what it isn't....a football related advert. hence wrong forum.

I know i'm being a pain, but loads of you wanted a separation and it lasted a month.You just can't help yourselves

blue matt
11-11-22, 23:23
I'll tell you what it isn't....a football related advert. hence wrong forum.

I know i'm being a pain, but loads of you wanted a separation and it lasted a month.You just can't help yourselves

its not political or arguing for the sake of it, so its a step in the right direction, baby steps and all that :thumbup:

superfeathers
11-11-22, 23:29
its not political or arguing for the sake of it, so its a step in the right direction, baby steps and all that :thumbup:

The advert seems like a load of Tory bs to me

Nobody's Rep
11-11-22, 23:54

Agree but until someone realises that the issues of the sexy NHS are caused by the unsexy social care system and funds it accordingly it is all emperors new clothes

life on mars
12-11-22, 00:47
Xmas is for rich capitalist, all the needy can do is stare at its wonderment , with tear In thier eyes, not able to touch or be part of it .

life on mars
12-11-22, 00:48
Agree but until someone realises that the issues of the sexy NHS are caused by the unsexy social care system and funds it accordingly it is all emperors new clothes

I know let's introduce a social care tax and then moan about it...

Rjk
12-11-22, 00:57
I know let's introduce a social care tax and then moan about it...

I think we should remove social care budgets from local authorities and give it to the NHS to spend, that way they can maximize efficiency across the whole system.

at the moment hospitals are full of bed blockers because they can send people home because social care plans aren't in place, patients then pick up more infections in the hospital and need to be treated again.
if the NHS was in charge of both sides of the system they would be incentivised to run the social care well so that they could save money on medical care.

AfricanBluebird
12-11-22, 08:10
do you find in Uganda that money goes missing and a % of it is given as backhanders ?? ?

the Community I have helped out at in Zimbabwe had one of the schools headteachers run off with money that was meant to fix one of the classrooms roofs recently,

Its a mixed bag.

Always encouraged by the amount of hard working and dedicated people in Uganda and also aghast by institutional corruption... Often the system is designed to accommodate corruption.

I reported 100's of cases to the Ugandan government of child abuse in orphanages... The police were excellent but the people in the government responsible for moving the cases to the prosecution services did nothing... In fact went to the abusers and took money from them to make the cases stall (indefinitely).

I would say that the HIV/AIDS response in countries like Uganda, supported by the USA and other countries has been a massive massive success

In Uganda less than 2.8% of mothers with HIV pass it into their babies.

So in our lifetime we are likely to see the eradication of HIV mother to child transmission.

Point is... Massive progress in certain areas... But it's corruption that is limiting progress in others.

splott parker
12-11-22, 10:42
Its a mixed bag.

Always encouraged by the amount of hard working and dedicated people in Uganda and also aghast by institutional corruption... Often the system is designed to accommodate corruption.

I reported 100's of cases to the Ugandan government of child abuse in orphanages... The police were excellent but the people in the government responsible for moving the cases to the prosecution services did nothing... In fact went to the abusers and took money from them to make the cases stall (indefinitely).

I would say that the HIV/AIDS response in countries like Uganda, supported by the USA and other countries has been a massive massive success

In Uganda less than 2.8% of mothers with HIV pass it into their babies.

So in our lifetime we are likely to see the eradication of HIV mother to child transmission.

Point is... Massive progress in certain areas... But it's corruption that is limiting progress in others.

Is it dangerous to speak out about it? Thuggery very often follows whistle blowing, stay safe.

Nobody's Rep
12-11-22, 20:47
I think we should remove social care budgets from local authorities and give it to the NHS to spend, that way they can maximize efficiency across the whole system.

at the moment hospitals are full of bed blockers because they can send people home because social care plans aren't in place, patients then pick up more infections in the hospital and need to be treated again.
if the NHS was in charge of both sides of the system they would be incentivised to run the social care well so that they could save money on medical care.

I would want to check the health boards that are in special measures before you decide to give them more responsibility and more to point the NHS wouldn't want an underfunded social care system

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-11-22, 20:55
I would want to check the health boards that are in special measures before you decide to give them more responsibility and more to point the NHS wouldn't want an underfunded social care system

That's what they have got , it's just at the moment it's in the hands of these tosser private companies

And on the whole they are useless

AfricanBluebird
13-11-22, 05:31
Is it dangerous to speak out about it? Thuggery very often follows whistle blowing, stay safe.

My kids have moved back to Wales with their mum.. I'm hopping between Cardiff, Kampala and a few countries ...

Certainly when my kids were here, I wouldn't be so vocal. I even had to get extra protection for them at the school in Kampala.

Now they are safe, I'm a bit more likely to speak out. I was the whistleblower in Uganda for trafficking in adoption... And the source of the biggest threats I got were from evangelical adoption agencies in the US.

If you are interested this is a guardian article about some cases I worked on..

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/aug/18/uganda-to-us-adoption-scam-judges-and-lawyers-sanctioned

Subsequently the owners of the adoption agency have been convicted.

John Buchanan
13-11-22, 07:30
My kids have moved back to Wales with their mum.. I'm hopping between Cardiff, Kampala and a few countries ...
Certainly when my kids were here, I wouldn't be so vocal. I even had to get extra protection for them at the school in Kampala.

Now they are safe, I'm a bit more likely to speak out. I was the whistleblower in Uganda for trafficking in adoption... And the source of the biggest threats I got were from evangelical adoption agencies in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/aug/18/uganda-to-us-adoption-scam-judges-and-lawyers-sanctioned

Personally, I think that AfricanBluebird deserves a huge round of applause
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🙏

splott parker
13-11-22, 11:25

The system needs more like you, corruption needs rooting out, well done:thumbup: I emphasise again though, please stay safe.

Bobby Dandruff
14-11-22, 13:32

Should never have sold him to Newport in my view.

kendoddsdadsdogsdead
15-11-22, 18:07
It's shit