PDA

View Full Version : armband booking

poc
21-11-22, 08:37
talk of maybe players will be booked for wearing the rainbow armband fifa must be gutted england are playing first today
:sherlock:

blue matt
21-11-22, 08:45
can you imagine if Kane picks up a 2nd Booking in the game, gets send off and misses the 1/4 or Semi

FIFA just wouldn't want that

A Quiet Monkfish
21-11-22, 08:53
Apparently Kane & Bale are going to the advised by their own FA's NOT to risk a booking by wearing armbands. Great innit.

The Bloop
21-11-22, 09:06
I would love them both to wear the armband but even them thinking about it is creating an almighty stir, which is great.
Would it make a difference about being booked if they only wore it on their tracksuit and not their shirt?
Every day during this tournament there will be something that will rattle the organisers and Infantino however, I hope yesterday's overcrowding in the fan park isn't a prelude to potentially worse things to come.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-11-22, 09:25
I would love them both to wear the armband but even them thinking about it is creating an almighty stir, which is great.
Would it make a difference about being booked if they only wore it on their tracksuit and not their shirt?
Every day during this tournament there will be something that will rattle the organisers and Infantino however, I hope yesterday's overcrowding in the fan park isn't a prelude to potentially worse things to come.

What happened in the fan park ?

I agree with the rest of your post

A Quiet Monkfish
21-11-22, 09:26

It'll be fine. The BBC will send down Dion Dublin who'll report back it's like Shangri La..

The Bloop
21-11-22, 09:34
What happened in the fan park ?

I agree with the rest of your post

See BLUETITs thread.
The park has a capacity of 40k,but more than double turned up.
If that's what it's like when there's 1 match on, what's its going to be like when there's 3 or 4 matches a day. Their plan of having everything so close together doesn't seem such a great idea after all.

the other bob wilson
21-11-22, 09:36
Earnie and Stephen Warnock both saying on Five Live that they'd still wear the armband if they were captain.

Grangenders
21-11-22, 09:39
Make the keeper captain and then just rotate the keepers when one is suspended.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-11-22, 09:44
I was on another forum and one poster said the Qatari authorities were right to try and ban the arm band

Dear oh dear

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-11-22, 09:45
Earnie and Stephen Warnock both saying on Five Live that they'd still wear the armband if they were captain.

What about Neil Warnock ? 🤔

The Bloop
21-11-22, 09:46
I was on another forum and one poster said the Qatari authorities were right to try and ban the arm band

Dear oh dear

Thought you'd been banned from Mumsnet?

Wales-Bales
21-11-22, 09:47
Hopefully Kane wear two armbands and gets a straight red with a 2 game ban.

Majorblue
21-11-22, 09:49
I'm guessing neither Bale or Kane will risk it.

There will be some PR pumped out by both sides of the argument but the armbands will be withdrawn.

If anyone in authority really wanted to make a stand then teams would have just withdrawn and not flapped about with token gestures.

Wales-Bales
21-11-22, 09:54
I'm guessing neither Bale or Kane will risk it.

There will be some PR pumped out by both sides of the argument but the armbands will be withdrawn.

If anyone in authority really wanted to make a stand then teams would have just withdrawn and not flapped about with token gestures.Similar to the BBC pre-match outrage, why are they covering the games if they feel so strongly about it? Lineker and Co are being paid a tidy sum for being there.

Undercoverinwurzelland
21-11-22, 09:57
One Love armbands not being worn now.
Bullied out of it by corrupt FIFA

The Bloop
21-11-22, 10:01
Similar to the BBC pre-match outrage, why are they covering the games if they feel so strongly about it? Lineker and Co are being paid a tidy sum for being there.

Would be great if Lineker and co put a rainbow flag on the windows of their studios in the stadium. Not alot the authorities could do about that once the doors are locked.

Whisperer
21-11-22, 10:05
One Love armbands not being worn now.
Bullied out of it by corrupt FIFA

Now maybe we can concentrate on the football

superfeathers
21-11-22, 10:07
Robert Page, about the armbands, recently:

We won’t change our beliefs on that – absolutely. We will be wearing the armband. That’s the stance we are making and it comes from the staff and the association. It’s the right thing to do".

“We are strong in our beliefs in that and whoever the captain is will be wearing armband, regardless (of FIFA).”

“It is vital. That’s the message we want to portray".

“That’s what we believe in and stand up for. We want to back our supporters in regard to that".

Today -

Someone says: "Rob, they're going to give Bale a yellow card mind butt"

Page "We won't be wearing them".

BLUETIT
21-11-22, 10:08
Wear a rainbow bandana to hold their hair back

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-11-22, 10:18
I have got rainbow knickers in the drawer

I will put them on as a show of support

life on mars
21-11-22, 10:18
England and other European nations have stepped back from the OneLove campaign after the threat of sanctions from FIFA.

Brian
21-11-22, 10:19
So Bale could wear it, get booked and will probably not last the game so pass it to Rambo - does he get booked?

And then the person he passes it to as he won't last 90.

Could make 3rd choice keeper Adam Davies captain and have him warm up for 90 minutes on the side, that would call FIFA's bluff.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-11-22, 10:23
https://uk.stepone.life/products/boxer-brief-rainbows

Have it

superfeathers
21-11-22, 10:24
https://uk.stepone.life/products/boxer-brief-rainbows

Have it

I'm presuming it's a booking if you take your shorts off when you score

City123
21-11-22, 10:27
It was already the most meagre of gestures and they can't even stand that. Fifa are embarrassing themselves even more with every passing day. It's really pathetic and I'd very disappointed if Bale doesn't wear it now

F*ck Fifa, wear the armband and show them up

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-11-22, 10:28
I'm presuming it's a booking if you take your shorts off when you score

I havnt scored for ages

lardy
21-11-22, 10:34
Isn't the World Cup a protected event under law, meaning that it must be shown on terrestrial TV?

So I don't know why some people are saying the BBC should boycott the tournament if they are unhappy with Qatar's abuses.

lardy
21-11-22, 10:35
It was already the most meagre of gestures and they can't even stand that. Fifa are embarrassing themselves even more with every passing day. It's really pathetic and I'd very disappointed if Bale doesn't wear it now

F*ck Fifa, wear the armband and show them up

A booking would draw attention to it even more, the Streisand Effect.

Whisperer
21-11-22, 10:49
The way I see it, is if players and country's want to protest against the host country then they should have pulled out and not took part, but players like Kane and Bale want the best of both worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNCO4cryCM

Wales-Bales
21-11-22, 10:54
Isn't the World Cup a protected event under law, meaning that it must be shown on terrestrial TV?

So I don't know why some people are saying the BBC should boycott the tournament if they are unhappy with Qatar's abuses.They could have left Lineker at home and sent somebody more suitable to deliver their message.

Wales-Bales
21-11-22, 10:56
The way I see it, is if players and country's want to protest against the host country then they should have pulled out and not took part, but players like Kane and Bale want the best of both worlds.Stop being sensible!

The Bloop
21-11-22, 10:57
They could have left Lineker at home and sent somebody more suitable to present their message.

Or they could have presented the games from a studio in Salford?

poc
21-11-22, 11:04
Or they could have presented the games from a studio in Salford?

i was thinking the same the amount of people bbc and itv wales has sent out there

superfeathers
21-11-22, 11:07
i was thinking the same the amount of people bbc and itv wales has sent out there

OT a bit but did anyone else think Ashley Williams was an odd choice for the opening game

The Bloop
21-11-22, 11:10

I can see the point of reporters being there, but when Lineker and the pundits are in a small room high up in the stadium it did seem a bit pointless.

poc
21-11-22, 11:20
OT a bit but did anyone else think Ashley Williams was an odd choice for the opening game

the bbc doing its make it look good stick a welshman and a woman on the panel

North Cardiff Blue
21-11-22, 11:44
Could they change the shirts to include a rainbow band, then Bale could wear an official armband just above or below.

The US gave changed the badge but not for games so maybe not allowed?

https://www.indy100.com/news/qatar-world-cup-rainbow-us-badge

A Quiet Monkfish
21-11-22, 12:31
There will be many 'dead rubbers' in the next week or so where teams have lost their 1st 2 games. If in those circumstances they chicken out, it will be absolutely pathetic.

poc
21-11-22, 13:18
the bbc doing its make it look good stick a welshman and a woman on the panel

welsh player apologies to grangetown blue :facepalm:

Harry Paget Flashman
21-11-22, 13:46
Under what law of the game is it a cautionable offence?

UNDERHILL1927
21-11-22, 13:58
Fcking disgraceful and shows what a corrupt and money hungry organisation FIFA are.

splott parker
21-11-22, 14:09
Could FIFA be shooting themselves in the foot? The ‘rich’ associations breaking away, initiating a new World Cup, FIFA threatening them with expulsion and them saying ‘Go on then’.

WJ99mobile
21-11-22, 14:11

Dear oh dear

In normal circumstances it’s a argument that could be made, that politics and sport shouldn’t mix.

If football allowed EVERY political statement then it would be far removed from a sport and instead a platform

However these are not normal circumstances and so I’m all for the armband

WJ99mobile
21-11-22, 14:16
The way I see it, is if players and country's want to protest against the host country then they should have pulled out and not took part, but players like Kane and Bale want the best of both worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNCO4cryCM

The way you see it would mean no exposure at all and just more likeminded people

What Arab TV is going to focus on Gareth Bale at home with his feet up? There’s no point in being a martyr to a few hundred thousand welsh fans already on board with the cause

Divine Wright
21-11-22, 14:31
In normal circumstances it’s a argument that could be made, that politics and sport shouldn’t mix.

If football allowed EVERY political statement then it would be far removed from a sport and instead a platform

However these are not normal circumstances and so I’m all for the armband

Im not even sure defending someone's human rights is even a political issue. It's not like protesting against , oh I dunno, a war in Yemen, for example.

the other bob wilson
21-11-22, 15:10
Could FIFA be shooting themselves in the foot? The ‘rich’ associations breaking away, initiating a new World Cup, FIFA threatening them with expulsion and them saying ‘Go on then’.

Think it’s a possibility - there’s been problems for England fans trying to get into today’s game as well. It’s not been a good start for FIFA to a tournament that a lot of the world thinks is corrupt.

Trigger
21-11-22, 15:28
No country is completely clean of corruption and poor morales.

It's a bit uncomfortable how we pick and choose who the baddies are. I don't remember there being anywhere near the outburst against Brazil or even Russia hosting it. Foreign money, cheap shit from abroad, bring it on.

The west always on the pedestal is laughable.

Why hasn't more been done to have dialogue with the Qataris, to try to make a lasting change instead of constantly telling them they are a bit backward as if that ever helps anyone.

Ultimately shame on fifa, how they were awarded the competition is a disgrace. When you have to build 8 temporary stadiums in a city in the ****ing desert you should know it shouldn't happen.

However if England had been awarded it no one would be talking about Qatar, most wouldn't know where it is and few would care about their awful human rights abuses. If anything the world cup being there, however awful a decision, has given a platform for some change but that won't happen unfortunately.

To be bullied by fifa on even a token gesture is hilarious. Every player should have worn 3.

chrisp_1927
21-11-22, 15:35
I hope someone games this. Important player picks up a yellow card in game 1. You go 3 goals up in game 2, guaranteed to qualify. Suddenly remember he has forgotten his armband, puts it on, gets a card and is back for the knockouts with a clean slate !!

Harry Paget Flashman
21-11-22, 15:55
I hope someone games this. Important player picks up a yellow card in game 1. You go 3 goals up in game 2, guaranteed to qualify. Suddenly remember he has forgotten his armband, puts it on, gets a card and is back for the knockouts with a clean slate !!

They can’t book you for an armband.

Taunton Blue Genie
21-11-22, 17:12

So I don't know why some people are saying the BBC should boycott the tournament if they are unhappy with Qatar's abuses.

The World Cup can only be seen here in New Zealand by subscribing to Sky Sports.

Whisperer
21-11-22, 17:25
The way you see it would mean no exposure at all and just more likeminded people

What Arab TV is going to focus on Gareth Bale at home with his feet up? There’s no point in being a martyr to a few hundred thousand welsh fans already on board with the cause

Exactly - No exposure to our new found morals, the last time Wales was in a world cup tournament homosexuality was illegal in this country, sometimes you just have to let countries go through their own process. It's okay making the point which I think we have but you don't have to ram it down their throats at every opportunity.

Undercoverinwurzelland
21-11-22, 21:29
Now FIFA are trying to force Belgium to remove the word "love" from the collar of their away shirt!!! https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/fifa-belgium-shirt-collar-love-b2229873.html

Jimmy the Jock
21-11-22, 21:31
Under what law of the game is it a cautionable offence?

That was my thoughts .

Jimmy the Jock
21-11-22, 21:32
The World Cup can only be seen here in New Zealand by subscribing to Sky Sports.

REALLY ? How interesting.

Jimmy the Jock
21-11-22, 21:34
No country is completely clean of corruption and poor morales.

It's a bit uncomfortable how we pick and choose who the baddies are. I don't remember there being anywhere near the outburst against Brazil or even Russia hosting it. Foreign money, cheap shit from abroad, bring it on.

The west always on the pedestal is laughable.

Why hasn't more been done to have dialogue with the Qataris, to try to make a lasting change instead of constantly telling them they are a bit backward as if that ever helps anyone.

Ultimately shame on fifa, how they were awarded the competition is a disgrace. When you have to build 8 temporary stadiums in a city in the ****ing desert you should know it shouldn't happen.

However if England had been awarded it no one would be talking about Qatar, most wouldn't know where it is and few would care about their awful human rights abuses. If anything the world cup being there, however awful a decision, has given a platform for some change but that won't happen unfortunately.

To be bullied by fifa on even a token gesture is hilarious. Every player should have worn 3.

BOOM we have a winner ...

A Quiet Monkfish
21-11-22, 21:50
Now FIFA are trying to force Belgium to remove the word "love" from the collar of their away shirt!!! https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/fifa-belgium-shirt-collar-love-b2229873.html

It's all dancing on a pinhead really. However it would be nice for someone, somewhere, to show just the tiniest bit of backbone.

Harry Paget Flashman
21-11-22, 21:59
That was my thoughts .

It's not is the answer.

It can be reported to the competition organiser after the match but is not a caution during the game.

Wear it and take the fine. As usual the commentators don't know the laws.

Pedro de la Rosa
21-11-22, 22:16
It's not is the answer.

It can be reported to the competition organiser after the match but is not a caution during the game.

Wear it and take the fine. As usual the commentators don't know the laws.

Unsportsmanlike conduct, etc. They'll come up with a reason. Logic doesn’t come into it when FIFA have had a telling off from Qatar. Truly spineless