PDA

View Full Version : Christmas dinner

Ninja
12-12-22, 21:37
Serious question, what makes a good Christmas dinner?
What meat you having?
Should there be yorkies? No room for them in my opinion...
Sprouts? If you want to stink the house out...
And what's with them pigs in blankets, who wants sausage and bacon on a Christmas dinner ffs...

Given the choice, it'd be a standard minty lamb roast for me, homemade gravy is a must though.

The Bloop
12-12-22, 21:45
Turkey, roasties, pigs, bread sauce, root veg mash, carrots, sprouts, peas, cauliflower cheese, stuffing x2, cranberry, gravy.
NO YORKSHIRES.

jeepster
12-12-22, 21:47
Serious question, what makes a good Christmas dinner?
What meat you having?
Should there be yorkies? No room for them in my opinion...
Sprouts? If you want to stink the house out...
And what's with them pigs in blankets, who wants sausage and bacon on a Christmas dinner ffs...

Given the choice, it'd be a standard minty lamb roast for me, homemade gravy is a must though.

Sprouts are the favourite,roast parsnips,carrots,potatos.Large helping of turkey,stuffing,carnberry and 3 yorkshires and plastered with gravy.

UNDERHILL1927
12-12-22, 21:56
Lots of meat, chicken, beef, gammon (no turkey as it’s the poorest of all the meat). 456 sprouts, 234 parsnips (crispy), 5667 pigs in blankets, gravy, that’ll do me.

Elwood Blues
12-12-22, 21:57
Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

And pigs in blankets of course. Nothing wrong with them.

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef

cyril evans awaydays
12-12-22, 22:03
Turkey and Beef if I am home. Definitely not lamb. May be gammon instead of the beef

Yorkshire pudding whatever meat as there has been for the last 40 years. Peas,carrots roasties and mash, there will be sprouts,but I won't have them or the cauliflower cheese

But I may still be in hospital, in which case I guess it will be either be Turkey or Beef

Hope it's not hospital food and you can have your choice at home!

Des Parrot
12-12-22, 22:14
Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.

2b2bdoo
12-12-22, 22:36
Never got the whole pigs in blankets thing. Cooked dinner should always have a Yorkshire though and crispy stuffing no matter the meat.

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-12-22, 22:49
I think Xmas is complete bollocks

Chicken Madras for me

blue matt
12-12-22, 22:52
We normally have the M&S Veggie christmas " meat ", the Lidl veggie christmas " meat " and a Quorn roast, Roasties, Spouts, honey roasted parsnips, Qourn pigs in blankets, Red cabbage, Carrots, pea's, Cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, think thats it :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-12-22, 22:55
We normally have the M&S Veggie christmas " meat ", the Lidl veggie christmas " meat " and a Quorn roast, Roasties, Spouts, honey roasted parsnips, Qourn pigs in blankets, Red cabbage, Carrots, pea's, Cauliflower cheese, bread sauce, think thats it :thumbup:

Do you and the family cook all that or is it ready made and you just heat it up ?

I can't be arsed cooking a big spread like that

blue matt
12-12-22, 23:10
Do you and the family cook all that or is it ready made and you just heat it up ?

I can't be arsed cooking a big spread like that

the M&S / Lidl christmas " meat " are already done, just chuck them in the oven , the Qourn Roast is just like a roll of " meat " ( so also oven based )
The Wife will prep the Pigs in blankets, the sprouts and Red cabbage Christmas Eve, but she will do everything else on the day, Im never allowed in the kitchen, she kicks me out as I make too much of a mess / arse around / haven't a clue / more arseing around / steal food ( though saying that, I do cook for the girls occasionally when my wife in work, but its a pasta dish or a few pizza's in the own )

MacAdder
12-12-22, 23:12
Turkey (either crown or rolled), pigs in blankets, roasted vegetables including caramelised challots, carrots and parsnips, sprouts (my favourite), peas, potatoes, stuffing with bacon, cranberry, bread and apple sauces, Yorkshire puddings, occasionally a small joint of pork with crackling depending on how many for lunch.

Usually have Christmas pud waiting in the wings but usually have it a day or two later as completely stuffed after all the previous.

Day later left over cold meat with bubble and squeek and pickles.

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-12-22, 23:20
the M&S / Lidl christmas " meat " are already done, just chuck them in the oven , the Qourn Roast is just like a roll of " meat " ( so also oven based )
The Wife will prep the Pigs in blankets, the sprouts and Red cabbage Christmas Eve, but she will do everything else on the day, Im never allowed in the kitchen, she kicks me out as I make too much of a mess / arse around / haven't a clue / more arseing around / steal food ( though saying that, I do cook for the girls occasionally when my wife in work, but its a pasta dish or a few pizza's in the own )

Too much stress and fussing for me

Order it in

Elwood Blues
13-12-22, 05:01

Thanks

I hope so too.

4 months in hospital is enough now, but I have got COVID at the moment and it has put my discharge back by days

Shute
13-12-22, 05:17
Polish Christmas dinner at work tomorrow, traditional meal of Carp, yes, that’s right Carp. I’m trying to keep a open mind, I’ll report back tomorrow.

Carpe Diem my friend.

Citizen's Nephew
13-12-22, 05:50
Thanks

I hope so too.

4 months in hospital is enough now, but I have got COVID at the moment and it has put my discharge back by days

Really feel for you brother Elwood. :ayatollah:

the other bob wilson
13-12-22, 06:28
Thanks

I hope so too.

Hope you're home for Christmas Elwood :thumbup:

Rock_Flock_of_Five
13-12-22, 06:30
Thanks

I hope so too.

Bloody 'ell mate, that's a long time being hospitalised! Hope you can somehow make it out by Christmas.

the other bob wilson
13-12-22, 06:35
With all of the stories about shortages due to bird flu, I'm giving turkey a miss this year and am thinking of taking out a mortgage and getting a rack of beef. There are all sorts of foods I hated as a kid that I now eat without a second thought, but sprouts are very definitely not one of them, not a great fan of parsnip either, but I'll eat them whereas sprouts are a no, no. I'm not a great cook. but I do have a bit of a knack when it comes to making roast potatoes for some reason, so, this year, beef, Yorkshire pud, roasters, peas, carrots and swede with a few pigs in blankets will do me fine.

uncle bob
13-12-22, 06:58

Which hospital you in mate?
I'm up the Heath still on my 16th day.

Taunton Blue Genie
13-12-22, 07:03

Best not complain about it....

uncle bob
13-12-22, 07:06
Gotta start with these bad boys.

https://youtu.be/b1bXQlWLl7U

splott parker
13-12-22, 07:53
Chicken & lamb, not a lover of turkey, if it was so nice why only have it once a year :shrug:
Load of roasties, sprouts etc. in fact, more or less, a traditional Sunday dinner. You can only eat so much.

bobh
13-12-22, 08:28
I'll be at my daughter's place, a recent "tradition", there'll be about 10 of us.
Turkey, beef, gammon, piggies, roast spuds and parsnips, various veg, inc sprouts.

The best way I've founf to cook sprouts (no stinking out the house!)~ -
par-boil them (cut any big 'uns in half), also roast a few chestnuts (day before)
Roughly chop some streaky smoked bacon and the chestnuts, also a few dried cranberries.
Stir-fry the bacon in just a splash of oil
Add the sprouts and other chopped stuff, ad a pinch of mixed herbs (opt)
You'll never shun sprouts again!

the other bob wilson
13-12-22, 08:48

:facepalm:

uncle bob
13-12-22, 10:25

Are you up the Heath Elwood?
Do you need me to pick u anything up from the concourse?
I'm stuck up here myself if you need anything

blue matt
13-12-22, 11:15
good luck Bob and Elwood, hope you are out and at home soon :thumbup:

MacAdder
13-12-22, 12:16
good luck Bob and Elwood, hope you are out and at home soon :thumbup:

Seconded, to Bob and Elwood 🍻

NYCBlue
13-12-22, 13:20
We eat turkey here on Thanksgiving. As previously mentioned, the worst of all the meats. So at Christmas, we eat want we want. My sister-in-law is Italian-American. She usually makes pork chops with a "secret" family gravy. There's usually a pasta dish too. It's mostly about the snacks though.Various meats, (prosciutto -"proshute", capicola ham "gabagool" (it took me years to figure that one out) And cheeses, they literally call mozzarella "mootzadelle" and ricotta "rigote". It's like I'm living in the Sopranos. Then they all get pissed and someone cries. Good times. No one gets whacked though. So that's a plus. There are plenty of stories though.

Taunton Blue Genie
13-12-22, 13:46
We eat turkey here on Thanksgiving. As previously mentioned, the worst of all the meats. So at Christmas, we eat want we want. My sister-in-law is Italian-American. She usually makes pork chops with a "secret" family gravy. There's usually a pasta dish too. It's mostly about the snacks though.Various meats, (prosciutto -"proshute", capicola ham "gabagool" (it took me years to figure that one out) And cheeses, they literally call mozzarella "mootzadelle" and ricotta "rigote". It's like I'm living in the Sopranos. Then they all get pissed and someone cries. Good times. No one gets whacked though. So that's a plus. There are plenty of stories though.

Does anyone get a horse's head in the bed as a present?

Majorblue
13-12-22, 14:05
Not being a Christian the whole thing means very little to me.

The Christmas meal thing totally passes me by as turkey is the blandest meat you can have and if I want to generate vile smelling farts then a curry is preferable to sprouts.

OK, I will accept pigs in blankets as an exceptional treat although I am obviously going to be dammed for eternity for eating them and as a fan of stuffing then the choice widens every December.

Then there is Christmas pudding, is that a punishment for being bad.?

Taunton Blue Genie
13-12-22, 14:20
Not being a Christian the whole thing means very little to me.

The Christmas meal thing totally passes me by as turkey is the blandest meat you can have and if I want to generate vile smelling farts then a curry is preferable to sprouts.

OK, I will accept pigs in blankets as an exceptional treat although I am obviously going to be dammed for eternity for eating them and as a fan of stuffing then the choice widens every December.

Then there is Christmas pudding, is that a punishment for being bad.?

You are obviously spared the quandary of wondering whether to think of the baby Jesus or Santa as you force-feed yourself the meat equivalent of MDF and whilst drinking copious amounts of the demon alcohol.

Bless you, my son.

Ninja
13-12-22, 15:58
Looks like it'll be turkey in my house, which I'm disappointed with to be honest. I have half a leg of lamb stashed in the freezer for later in the week though.
You can't beat lamb, especially the juices for a homemade gravy.

Here's a tip for you though lads if you're having turkey...

Get a large chunk of butter in a cereal bowl, add to it the zest of a Clementine and a little of the juice. Finely chop a bunch of fresh sage and add that in along with a generous pinch of salt and a small pinch of black pepper.

Mix it all up, and stuff some of it under the skin on the turkey breasts. You'll have to work your fingers under the skin to get in there, but do that and squash some of the mix under there, flatten it all over both breasts.

Use the rest to cover the turkey, legs etc if you're not having a crown.
Also, cut a Clementine and a small onion in half, and shove it in the cavity with some fresh sage.

Trust me on this, I've been doing this for a good few years now, it adds a lovely flavour and helps keep the ugly bird moist :thumbup:

bluemoon
13-12-22, 16:00
lamb for me, mrs likes turkey, all the usual trimmings... i got to admit went over aldi the other day and they had a special selected stuffing was banging and will be on my xmas dinner...

quality cruble or some choc log for desert...

other than that 1 year i totally flipped it and had a chinese, 1 of the best ever, ordered it late xmas eve ate it for xmas dinner was top stuff

Taunton Blue Genie
13-12-22, 16:22
Never got the whole pigs in blankets thing. Cooked dinner should always have a Yorkshire though and crispy stuffing no matter the meat.

As I understand it, whole pigs are not enveloped by the bacon blankets but just enough of the pigs that it takes to fill very small sausages..... :getscoat:

mrbluejay
13-12-22, 16:23
Turkey is fine but you've got to brine it first.

Get well soon Elwood & Bob.

Swiss Peter
13-12-22, 16:52

Big favourite in Germany too. I remember being in the food hall of a department store in Berlin a couple of days before Christmas, and people choosing their live carp from a large tank. They would then be hit with a big stick. (The carp, not the people). Didn't seem very festive to me!

superfeathers
13-12-22, 17:14
Turkey without question.

Yorkshire puds have a home on every single type of cooked dinner of that sort, so yes.
Bread sauce, cranberry sauce.
Obviously roasties.
Small amount of stuffing, less is more.

Pigs in blankets - It would be ruined without them.

Veg - Carrots, if really necessary.

Mash, gravy, then topped off with mint sauce (some neanderthals think mint is only welcome on certain meats, which is NOT the case).

theclaw
13-12-22, 17:14
Everything but Cramberry sauce,horseradish for me.

Swiss Peter
13-12-22, 17:17
Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!

North Cardiff Blue
13-12-22, 17:19
Turkey, Beef, roasties, mash, honey glazed roasted parsnips, garden peas, sliced carrot, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pud, cranberry sauce, swimming in gravy, jobs a good en!

Keep your stuffing, pigs in blankets, and shove your sprouts!

Tuerto
13-12-22, 17:24
We usually get those micro chicken dinners from Iceland with the reformed chicken breast. Kids love them.

jeepster
13-12-22, 17:42
Alternate between goose and turkey. Every time we have turkey we say bloody hell that was dull we'll go back to goose next year. Every time we have goose we say bloody hell that was expensive we'll go back to turkey next year!

I have never had goose,what is it like?

Swiss Peter
13-12-22, 17:48

Full of flavour - so you'd need to like that flavour! Can be fatty, if not rendered.

jeepster
13-12-22, 17:51
Full of flavour - so you'd need to like that flavour! Can be fatty, if not rendered.

Love to give a try but if a whole bird was bought the Mrs and kids did not like a big waste.

NYCBlue
13-12-22, 17:56
Turkey is fine but you've got to brine it first.

Get well soon Elwood & Bob.

Brining does very little.

NYCBlue
13-12-22, 18:01
Turkey, Beef, roasties, mash, honey glazed roasted parsnips, garden peas, sliced carrot, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pud, cranberry sauce, swimming in gravy, jobs a good en!

I make stuffing balls with breadcrumbs, mushrooms, garlic, onion, celery, red wine and chicken livers. I cook them separately from the bird. They're delicious.

Sauteed sprouts with bacon, onions and balsamic vinegar are amazing.

jon1959
13-12-22, 18:11
Our now traditional pork pie with cherry tomatoes, and a flask of tea - on a 10 mile walk in north Derbyshire, hopefully with a frost and clear skies.

No crowds, no shit TV. :thumbup:

Ninja
13-12-22, 18:12

Agreed.

the other bob wilson
13-12-22, 18:37

Tried it one year, it was very nice at dinner time, but there was a lot left and it was basically just a very fatty mess.

jeepster
13-12-22, 18:45
Tried it one year, it was very nice at dinner time, but there was a lot left and it was basically just a very fatty mess.

my family would not like that,i would give it a go.:thumbup:

ToTaL ITK
13-12-22, 18:50

thats about 7-8 hours of work

Des Parrot
13-12-22, 20:40

12 courses, 12!!! None of which were meat. 3 fish courses. Lots of sweet desserts. 2 hours to eat and then we went back to work.

Anyway it was nice but not really my thing. Coming home on Friday, looking forward to a proper Christmas Dinner. Turkey & Gammon for us, two different stuffing & a mountain of veg. Hate sprouts. Sleep afterwards.

The Bloop
13-12-22, 21:18
Has anyone here been in Japan at Christmas and had a traditional Japanese Christmas dinner- a KFC?

mrbluejay
13-12-22, 21:55

Brine it for 48 hours transforms it mate, never dry always well flavoured.

jeepster
13-12-22, 21:55
What :shrug:

bobh
13-12-22, 23:27
Looks like it'll be turkey in my house, which I'm disappointed with to be honest. I have half a leg of lamb stashed in the freezer for later in the week though.
You can't beat lamb, especially the juices for a homemade gravy.

Here's a tip for you though lads if you're having turkey...

Get a large chunk of butter in a cereal bowl, add to it the zest of a Clementine and a little of the juice. Finely chop a bunch of fresh sage and add that in along with a generous pinch of salt and a small pinch of black pepper.

Mix it all up, and stuff some of it under the skin on the turkey breasts. You'll have to work your fingers under the skin to get in there, but do that and squash some of the mix under there, flatten it all over both breasts.

Use the rest to cover the turkey, legs etc if you're not having a crown.
Also, cut a Clementine and a small onion in half, and shove it in the cavity with some fresh sage.

Trust me on this, I've been doing this for a good few years now, it adds a lovely flavour and helps keep the ugly bird moist :thumbup:

I've used a kitchen spoon to work a space between the skin and flesh.

SLUDGE FACTORY
13-12-22, 23:40
So once a year you dimwits spend 6 or 7 hours preparing a meal that is scoffed in less than 45 minutes ?

Cobblers to that

If this is the tradition of Xmas I fail to see the point

Xmas lunch is tasty but all that messing about is insane

Phone one of those places that delivers or go to a pub or harvesters or whatever

Scoff the food

No stress

NYCBlue
14-12-22, 00:07
Brine it for 48 hours transforms it mate, never dry always well flavoured.

I've tried it. Pain in the arse and I said, does very little. Brining is a hoax.

Grandstand Boy
14-12-22, 01:19
Biggest thing is to have people to share it with.

Due to circumstances I am facing the first Christmas in my life on my own and it isn't a pleasant prospect

StraightOuttaCanton
14-12-22, 09:45

I’d tried brining a number of years ago and I’d agree it was a struggle to see the difference. For the last 2 years though I’ve had a Traeger grill and have brined and smoked a turkey. It’s been a game changer and now I get rebellion if I suggest switching. Set the Traeger going … monitor on the app … idiot proof … same result everytime (we do it on US Thanksgiving too, but that’s just an excuse to have a few beers and watch the NFL while my US colleagues are off).

NYCBlue
14-12-22, 11:38
I’d tried brining a number of years ago and I’d agree it was a struggle to see the difference. For the last 2 years though I’ve had a Traeger grill and have brined and smoked a turkey. It’s been a game changer and now I get rebellion if I suggest switching. Set the Traeger going … monitor on the app … idiot proof … same result everytime (we do it on US Thanksgiving too, but that’s just an excuse to have a few beers and watch the NFL while my US colleagues are off).

:thumbup: Sounds good.

NYCBlue
14-12-22, 11:41

Due to circumstances I am facing the first Christmas in my life on my own and it isn't a pleasant prospect

I've had Christmas on my own at least once that I can remember. I went to a diner in the East Village and then went home and cleaned the apartment. Then I went out and pulled. I have to say it was a good day.

Rjk
14-12-22, 11:54
For me Turkey, roast spuds, parsnips, carrots, sausage meat, stuffing (2 kinds) Sprouts cooked with chestnuts and bacon
Gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce

Not a huge fan of turkey, I'd happily switch to Goose, we had a goose a few weeks ago from lidl, and it was great, but it'll be turkey again.

Never tried brining, but have had it cooked on a bbq one year, with a smoker section, that gave it a lovely flavour

Ninja
14-12-22, 11:55

Hope you have as good a Christmas as is possible under the circumstances mate :thumbup:

It's shocking hearing about so many homeless people being found dead this time of the year also, it certainly puts all the trivial shit into perspective.

It certainly makes you grateful for the little that you do have, such as a roof over your head and warmth, food etc. All the simple things that we sometimes take for granted.

Ninja
14-12-22, 11:56
For me Turkey, roast spuds, parsnips, carrots, sausage meat, stuffing (2 kinds) Sprouts cooked with chestnuts and bacon
Gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce

Not a huge fan of turkey, I'd happily switch to Goose, we had a goose a few weeks ago from lidl, and it was great, but it'll be turkey again.

Never tried brining, but have had it cooked on a bbq one year, with a smoker section, that gave it a lovely flavour

Never tried goose, what's it taste like?

Rjk
14-12-22, 11:57

A bit like duck

Ninja
14-12-22, 12:00
A bit like duck

Nice, can't fault a bit of duck, lovely flavour that is.

Moodybluebird
14-12-22, 12:10
Just the basics for me. Turkey, roast potatoes, runner beans, peas, carrots, stuffing, bread sauce and loads of gravy.

splott parker
14-12-22, 13:10

Have a gander at some food review sites.

Taunton Blue Genie
14-12-22, 14:44

Many moons ago, my sister descended (uninvited) on me and my mate just before Xmas when we lived in Germany.
As my mate and I were working and my sister was free, I asked her to pick up a turkey for Christmas Day.
She proudly presented it to us when we came home from work and had no idea that the words 'Gans' on the labelling meant 'goose'.
Twas fatty, if I remember correctly.

Elwood Blues
14-12-22, 14:59
Which hospital you in mate?
I'm up the Heath still on my 16th day.

Heath,ward B1, currently in a ward with COVID!!

I have been in since August 15th so just over 4 months, but there now a hope that I will be discharged next week. I am getting to be a whiz on a zimmer and hope to start walking on a crutch or a stick tomorrow.
When do you expect to get out Bob?

poc
14-12-22, 15:21
Heath,ward B1, currently in a ward with COVID!!

I have been in since August 15th so just over 4 months, but there now a hope that I will be discharged next week. I am getting to be a whiz on a zimmer and hope to start walking on a crutch or a stick tomorrow.
When do you expect to get out Bob?

all the best elwood i too spent 14 weeks in hospital a few years back ,from what you posted sounds similar to me, good luck mate

uncle bob
14-12-22, 15:53
I actually got out late last night Tuesday.
I'm going to be off work until at least after Xmas as I drive a taxi for a living and I can't get any balance yet when I walk or just sit up.
It's like I've had 10 pints of beer even just sat in the car as a passenger on the way home yesterday.

Great news your getting out hopefully mate.
I was getting quite fond of the cake and custard with the two main meals. 😂😂

I'd have popped up and visited you if I was still inside however I am unable to drive now so hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

ryder bluebird
14-12-22, 16:01

Very droll.

North Cardiff Blue
14-12-22, 16:07

A bit like a sheep but they wriggle less :hehe:

I was going to say Jesus is this thread still going we must be short of Cardiff City news, but couldn't resist.

jeepster
14-12-22, 17:08
A bit like a sheep but they wriggle less :hehe:

I was going to say Jesus is this thread still going we must be short of Cardiff City news, but couldn't resist.

HA HA :hehe:do you still have to wear wellies ?

ryder bluebird
14-12-22, 17:54

HA HA :hehe:do you still have to wear wellies ?

No, you can't slide their web feet down there.

the other bob wilson
14-12-22, 18:36
Have a gander at some food review sites.

Groan.

splott parker
14-12-22, 19:04
Groan.

I’m no Uncle Bob:facepalm:

jimmyscoular
14-12-22, 19:23
I think Xmas is complete bollocks

Chicken Madras for me

I can hear those chains clanking.