View Full Version : Can We Draw Ourselves To Safety

life on mars
29-12-22, 23:53
Another draw , another clean sheet .

Thank god we have a decent keeper..

Can we survive with a point a game .. there's 21 drawn points available.

Eric the Half a Bee
29-12-22, 23:54

Hudson's plan. Of course not.

Dorcus
30-12-22, 08:53

It depends how you sketch it out.

life on mars
30-12-22, 11:45
It depends how you sketch it out.

Indeed, I simply scribbled the 21 points together as a target ,which gives us 49 points, that might see us finishing in 19th based on last year's final standings ..

Hopefully I've etched the data togther correctly .

tforturton
30-12-22, 11:50
Technically, yes, we could draw all our remaining games, and stay up, but it's not very likely. We're going to lose games, so we need to ensure that we win other games.

the other bob wilson
30-12-22, 12:09
No, not when you’re as low scoring a side as us. If we had the capacity to draw games 2-2 on quite a regular basis (as well as the very occasional 3-3), then you’ve got more room to manoeuvre. However, we don’t have - I know we drew 2-2 at Stoke, but that’s like a 4-4 by our standards. Truthfully, we’ll only draw games 0-0 and 1-1 - as I say in my blog piece, that puts so much pressure on our defending.

splott parker
30-12-22, 12:26
We’re using the type of game plan that was ok & would see you safe 40 years ago prior to 3 points for a win, in fact it was the reason it was brought in I’d imagine. It seems we just haven’t got the players though to deviate from the ‘If they can’t score, we can’t lose, let’s just try & avoid defeat’ attitude.

Let’s hope a fit Isaak Davies & Ebou Adams, alongside Tom Sang, even Joel Bagan can, sort of, make up for not being able to bring in new blood in the window.

Canton Kev
30-12-22, 12:39
I’m sure some stat heads (Eric?) can come up with the numbers, but I feel like a solid attack and shit defence yields more points than a solid defence and shit attack.

the other bob wilson
30-12-22, 12:44
I’m sure some stat heads (Eric?) can come up with the numbers, but I feel like a solid attack and shit defence yields more points than a solid defence and shit attack.

Our home record this season offers decent proof of that - apart from the goal fest that was the Hull game (which we still lost!), we’ve not scored more than one in a home game yet, so it automatically follows that, first, we can only win games 1-0 and, second, if our opponent scores, they’re not going to lose.

Canton Kev
30-12-22, 12:49
Our home record this season offers decent proof of that - apart from the goal fest that was the Hull game (which we still lost!), we’ve not scored more than one in a home game yet, so it automatically follows that, first, we can only win games 1-0 and, second, if our opponent scores, they’re not going to lose.

I guess it comes down to if we’re salvaging draws from likely defeats or spurning chances to win and only drawing.
Based off of QPR and Blackpool it unfortunately seems like the latter.

North Cardiff Blue
30-12-22, 13:28
For a team with Strikers that can't hit a barn door from ten feet we are doing pretty well, thank God for Kipre and NG!

Eric the Half a Bee
30-12-22, 14:49

Thanks for the challenge. :hehe:

This was my method. I've looked at every single season across all 4 divisions since the birth of the Football League in 1888. For each season in each division I've ranked each team in terms of goals scored and conceded, so for goals scored high to low, goals conceded low to high and done a comparison with each team's final league position.

Unsurprisingly we feature as one of only 6 sides in the history of the league to have been bottom of the scoring table but top of the defensive table. This happened in 1928/29 when we were relegated as bottom despite the best defence in Division 1. Lincoln City are the only side in a 24 team division to do this, in 2002/03 when they finished 6th in League 2 with the best defence and worst attack. Swansea under Paulo Sousa had the worst attack in the Championship but 2nd best defensive record, finishing 7th.

There have been 4 occurrences of sides being the highest scoring and highest conceding. 3 finished mid table, one finished 6th.

Of course, all of that waffle tells us nothing, so I thought I'd look at the average position of the top 100, 500, 1000 and 3000 great attack/shit defence and the same for shit attack/great defence. Up until the end of last season there were a total of 9554 separate placings.

Stats:

Great attack/shit defence:

Top 100 - 13
Top 500 - 13.1
Top 1000 - 12.84
Top 5000 - 12.32

Shit attack/great defence:

Top 100 - 12.31
Top 500 - 12.41
Top 1000 - 12.19
Top 3000 - 11.64

In short, it's marginally better to have a good defence and poor attack than the other way round, but not by much.

SLUDGE FACTORY
30-12-22, 14:53
Thanks for the challenge. :hehe:

This was my method. I've looked at every single season across all 4 divisions since the birth of the Football League in 1888. For each season in each division I've ranked each team in terms of goals scored and conceded, so for goals scored high to low, goals conceded low to high and done a comparison with each team's final league position.

Unsurprisingly we feature as one of only 6 sides in the history of the league to have been bottom of the scoring table but top of the defensive table. This happened in 1928/29 when we were relegated as bottom despite the best defence in Division 1. Lincoln City are the only side in a 24 team division to do this, in 2002/03 when they finished 6th in League 2 with the best defence and worst attack. Swansea under Paulo Sousa had the worst attack in the Championship but 2nd best defensive record, finishing 7th.

There have been 4 occurrences of sides being the highest scoring and highest conceding. 3 finished mid table, one finished 6th.

Of course, all of that waffle tells us nothing, so I thought I'd look at the average position of the top 100, 500, 1000 and 3000 great attack/shit defence and the same for shit attack/great defence. Up until the end of last season there were a total of 9554 separate placings.

Stats:

Great attack/shit defence:

Top 100 - 13
Top 500 - 13.1
Top 1000 - 12.84
Top 5000 - 12.32

Shit attack/great defence:

Top 100 - 12.31
Top 500 - 12.41
Top 1000 - 12.19
Top 3000 - 11.64

In short, it's marginally better to have a good defence and poor attack than the other way round, but not by much.

Is your good lady suspicious that you might be seeing Betty in number 26 ?