PDA

View Full Version : Wizz pulling out of Cardiff Airport

WJ99mobile
10-01-23, 12:12
Massive backward step for Wales but fits in to the WAG carbon zero narrative

WJ99mobile
10-01-23, 12:32
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wizz-air-pulling-out-cardiff-25939252

Eric the Half a Bee
10-01-23, 12:44
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wizz-air-pulling-out-cardiff-25939252

Interesting to note that Cardiff airport lags behind others in terms of recovery from the pandemic, but not surprising given that South Wales is one of the poorer areas in the UK. On the face of that report, can't really hold Wizz pulling out on the Welsh Government or the airport.

superfeathers
10-01-23, 12:46
Well that lasted a long time.
Have to be honest I didn't fly with them, or from Cardiff, so can't really complain

Rjk
10-01-23, 12:52
I have flown wizz air, but not from Cardiff, they are pretty crap

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 12:57
Interesting to note that Cardiff airport lags behind others in terms of recovery from the pandemic, but not surprising given that South Wales is one of the poorer areas in the UK. On the face of that report, can't really hold Wizz pulling out on the Welsh Government or the airport.

Everything is slower recovering from the Pandemic in Wales Drakeford wanted the longest lockdowns, restricting travel to holiday resorts, and banning the English, what would you possibly expect?

He's literally gifted Bristol airport and the cornish and Devonshire tourist trade, welsh customers, why hasn't the road network to the airport and into Wales improved, we are falling behind Bristol at record speed.

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 12:59
I have flown wizz air, but not from Cardiff, they are pretty crap

They were good pretty much the same as easy jet, but cheaper, it's a shambles most people would prefer to fly from Wales but there are hardly any flights, Bristol airport has left us for dust.

Rjk
10-01-23, 13:02
They were good pretty much the same as easy jet, but cheaper, it's a shambles most people would prefer to fly from Wales but there are hardly any flights, Bristol airport has left us for dust.

the disparity with Bristol airport happened a long time before the Welsh government got involved

Sunnysideup
10-01-23, 13:06
I dropped my daughter to Bristol Airport last month
It cost me a fiver to drop her off plus I had to pay a clean air zone charge of £9 times two because I picked her up a week later
All a bit of racketeering if you ask me 💷

TWGL1
10-01-23, 13:09
I dropped my daughter to Bristol Airport last month
It cost me a fiver to drop her off plus I had to pay a clean air zone charge of £9 times two because I picked her up a week later
All a bit of racketeering if you ask me ��

In a word yes ….

JamesWales
10-01-23, 13:50
I initially supported the WG buying the airport and I think it may have closed without them doing that so I suppose it was the right decision.

But this is yet another example of how utterly incompetent they are. Is there anything they have excelled at? Clealy airlines don't think much of them. I suspect they are slow, don't understand the market, take too long to make investment decisions and run it in a political as opposed to commercial manner.

blue matt
10-01-23, 13:51
my Uncle flys from Cardiff to Spain once a month, he loves wiz air, so does the travel agent in Barry he books with, last trip was £270, I looked online and it was £80 :shrug:
he will be gutted, as he refuses to give Bristol any of his money

I found it interesting that a carry on on wiz air was just a handbag size, you had to pay for a cabin case, then a checked hold luggage was even more

Rjk
10-01-23, 13:55
I initially supported the WG buying the airport and I think it may have closed without them doing that so I suppose it was the right decision.

But this is yet another example of how utterly incompetent they are. Is there anything they have excelled at? Clealy airlines don't think much of them. I suspect they are slow, don't understand the market, take too long to make investment decisions and run it in a political as opposed to commercial manner.

they've been doing ok, it would certainly have closed by now if they hadn't stepped in, and numbers were making steady progress but it was always going to be badly affected by COVID and the current financial situation.

yes there are plenty of more ambitious things they could have done with it, but until you've seen them properly coated out it's hard to say how feasible they are really.

Eric the Half a Bee
10-01-23, 14:08
Everything is slower recovering from the Pandemic in Wales Drakeford wanted the longest lockdowns, restricting travel to holiday resorts, and banning the English, what would you possibly expect?

What's that got to do with anything? Is your life filled with ways of blaming absolutely everything on Drakeford?

South Wales is one of the poorest areas of the UK. Of course things will take longer to recover as people have less money here.

Hilts
10-01-23, 14:18
What's that got to do with anything? Is your life filled with ways of blaming absolutely everything on Drakeford?

South Wales is one of the poorest areas of the UK. Of course things will take longer to recover as people have less money here.

At least it gives Harry a day off 🤣

Taunton Blue Genie
10-01-23, 14:23
my Uncle flys from Cardiff to Spain once a month, he loves wiz air, so does the travel agent in Barry he books with, last trip was £270, I looked online and it was £80 :shrug:
he will be gutted, as he refuses to give Bristol any of his money

I found it interesting that a carry on on wiz air was just a handbag size, you had to pay for a cabin case, then a checked hold luggage was even more

Ryanair and Easyjet operate the same system these days: a small carry-on (Ooh er, missus) suitcase can cost as much as the passenger.

JamesWales
10-01-23, 14:29
they've been doing ok, it would certainly have closed by now if they hadn't stepped in, and numbers were making steady progress but it was always going to be badly affected by COVID and the current financial situation.

yes there are plenty of more ambitious things they could have done with it, but until you've seen them properly coated out it's hard to say how feasible they are really.

I agree. They were making slow progress, but aren't now. I suspect they offered sweeteners to airlines but haven't shown how to sustain it or grow the airport properly.

Rjk
10-01-23, 14:33
I agree. They were making slow progress, but aren't now. I suspect they offered sweeteners to airlines but haven't shown how to sustain it or grow the airport properly.

I suspect we were making progress before COVID and a war in Europe ****ed everything up.
because we were starting from a smaller base than other airports it is always going to hit us harder, as economies of scale are everything to airports

Sunnysideup
10-01-23, 14:47
The Welsh Government impose taxes or charges for planes to land at Cardiff.
Michael O’Leary of Ryanair has been calling for these taxes to be scrapped in order to make the routes viable.
Scrapping these charges to entice a big airline with dozens of routes would make for more revenue/higher footfall
I had to pick colleague’s up flying in from Rome for the 2016 Champions League Final
I can honestly say I’ve never seen so much air traffic at Cardiff
We can handle volume but it seems that the powers that be don’t want it??

Rjk
10-01-23, 14:52
The Welsh Government impose taxes or charges for planes to land at Cardiff.
Michael O’Leary of Ryanair has been calling for these taxes to be scrapped in order to make the routes viable.
Scrapping these charges to entice a big airline with dozens of routes would make for more revenue/higher footfall
I had to pick colleague’s up flying in from Rome for the 2016 Champions League Final
I can honestly say I’ve never seen so much air traffic at Cardiff
We can handle volume but it seems that the powers that be don’t want it??

the Welsh government have been calling for the devolution of APD tax for years haven't they? I thought that Westminster keeps blocking it

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-01-23, 15:17
It isn't the Welsh government's fault that Cardiff Airport isn't successful

Basically local taffies are tight and want to save 50 quid by flying from Bristol

You could put an airport in someone's back garden in South Wales .....and let's be honest it is ......and they would still find something to moan about

Sunnysideup
10-01-23, 15:29
Not sure who exactly levy the tax Rjk
Wales or Westminster
All I know is that the same tax doesn’t apply over the bridge
Michael O’Leary was calling for it to be scrapped
It isn’t
Which is why it’s cheaper to fly from Bristol

If you factor in the cost of getting to Bristol Sludge along with the newly introduced’Clean air zone charge’ @£9 a day as well as the £5 drop off charge at the airport the prices even themselves out mate
I flew from Bristol recently (Tenerife) and have booked to fly from Cardiff in May

Rjk
10-01-23, 15:33
Wales or Westminster
It isn’t

If you factor in the cost of getting to Bristol Sludge along with the newly introduced’Clean air zone charge’ @£9 a day as well as the £5 drop off charge at the airport the prices even themselves out mate
I flew from Bristol recently (Tenerife) and have booked to fly from Cardiff in May

I don't think that's right.

The Welsh government have been calling for APD to be devolved for years, presumably so they can immediately scrap it. Westminster should have done it years ago but have been refusing to do it.

The main reason Bristol is cheaper to fly out if for carriers is the economies of scale i.e. the costs for all the behind the scenes stuff that has to go on at an airport is shared between more flights and is therefore cheaper

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-01-23, 15:36
Wales or Westminster
It isn’t

Bristol is a pain in the arse to get to

Cardiff has a huge runway and can easily handle the big flights

If it got hold of the bucket and spade flights then it might be a contender

Apart from Manchester which is really dominant you have Leeds Bradford , East Midlands and Liverpool

Surely Cardiff can be that sort of second rung airport but down here ?

The buildings at Bristol look smaller if anything

They just seem to have more flights

Sunnysideup
10-01-23, 15:46
Cardiff can accommodate the big jumbo’s
We flew to Toronto from there and also Florida
Until recently Qatar Airlines had a regular service
It’s all down to this landing tax?
Airlines don’t want to pay it
Is there someone on the board that actually understands the reasoning behind inflated tax for Cardiff and not for the likes of Bristol??

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:03

They excel in draconian covid measures and ruining the traffic flow, and wasting money on stuff that's not needed like the slowest roads in the UK and Europe and free prescriptions for millionaires, and free money for kids coming out of care, and the longest NHS waiting lists, and it looks like they could get the biggest reduction in airport traffic pretty soon.

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:08

He never wanted to unlock, and called Boris reckless, he should have been the opposite and opened up sooner and attracted some money for Wales if we are so poor, I said at the time it will damage the welsh economy and it has. Yes, he scored a lot of petty points and cost us all prosperity our airport is going downhill like everything else.

Can you name anything he's done better than England to kick on our economy?

Chris Pontprennau Blues
10-01-23, 16:10
Don't forget Dickford cancelled the M4 relief road, so alienating anyone travelling from England and spending a hour driving through Newport - who owns Cardiff Airport - oh yeah WG :facepalm:

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:15
the disparity with Bristol airport happened a long time before the Welsh government got involved

Partly true, you don't give up, that's like saying Morison was poor so if Hudsons really crap, the disparity with Swansea started long ago.

Running an airport should be a piece of piss for a government!

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:18
Don't forget Dickford cancelled the M4 relief road, so alienating anyone travelling from England and spending a hour driving through Newport - who owns Cardiff Airport - oh yeah WG :facepalm:

Yes and banned the Engish coming here and spending their money in Wales the buggers, let's triple their council tax that will stop them, from coming here and using our tourist industry, and that'll teach them!

Literally, everything he does, makes you think that's exactly the opposite of what you should do to stimulate an economy.

It falls on deaf ears here, all of you must know this but for some reason think I must defend daft actions because he's Labour!

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:21
Bristol is a pain in the arse to get to

Cardiff has a huge runway and can easily handle the big flights

If it got hold of the bucket and spade flights then it might be a contender

Apart from Manchester which is really dominant you have Leeds Bradford , East Midlands and Liverpool

Surely Cardiff can be that sort of second rung airport but down here ?

The buildings at Bristol look smaller if anything

They just seem to have more flights

Why is that then?

Maybe because it's being run properly?

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:22
At least it gives Harry a day off 🤣

He's just as dopey, what a pair!

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:28
It isn't the Welsh government's fault that Cardiff Airport isn't successful

Basically local taffies are tight and want to save 50 quid by flying from Bristol

You could put an airport in someone's back garden in South Wales .....and let's be honest it is ......and they would still find something to moan about

Not true, I talk to a lot of people, and almost everyone prefers Cardiff but there are not enough routes, so Bristol picks up all the money. The Silver Zone car park is expensive, as said drop-offs are a fiver and they are making money from the clean air zones. I flew from both last year in the summer, there were 12 flights from 6 till 7 in Bristol and 12 from Cardiff all-day on the day I compared.

I would always pay more to travel from Cardiff.

We are losing a fortune the demand is there, and it would create more jobs, just get help from someone that can run a business not ruin one!

splott parker
10-01-23, 16:29
And the alternative to Labour in Wales is………………

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:30
I don't think that's right.

The Welsh government have been calling for APD to be devolved for years, presumably so they can immediately scrap it. Westminster should have done it years ago but have been refusing to do it.

The main reason Bristol is cheaper to fly out if for carriers is the economies of scale i.e. the costs for all the behind the scenes stuff that has to go on at an airport is shared between more flights and is therefore cheaper

Yes because it's well managed and they attracted more flights while our lot keeps reducing them!

Rjk
10-01-23, 16:31
Not true, I talk to a lot of people, and almost everyone prefers Cardiff but there are not enough routes, so Bristol picks up all the money. The Silver Zone car is expensive, as said drop-offs are a fiver and they are making money from the clean air zones. I flew from both last year in the summer, there were 12 flights from 6 till 7 in Bristol and 12 from Cardiff all-day on the day I compared.

We are losing a fortune the demand is there, and it would create more jobs, just get help from someone that can run a business not ruin one!

yes it's cheaper for airlines to travel from Bristol because the passenger numbers are so much higher there, so they get more flights making it cheaper and so on.
Cardiff was run into the ground prior to the government stepping in, they were doing a good job at getting more flights in and passenger numbers back up, but with COVID and everything since it's obvious that smaller airports like ours will be affected more

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:31
And the alternative to Labour in Wales is………………

The raving looney party would run it better!

JamesWales
10-01-23, 16:37
It's certainly fair to criticise the UK govt for not devolving Air Passenger Duty (APD) as it has been done to Scotland and N.Ireland. However, they are arguably different cases but I do think it should be devolved

There is no reason to let the WG off the hook though. They own the bloody thing and APD is the same in Bristol as here. And would they even use the powers? They have a habit of not doing so and would Drakefords Labour really subsidise such a polluting industry?

The fault, as with many things here lies in Cardiff Bay and the sooner we hold them to a higher standard the better

splott parker
10-01-23, 16:38
The raving looney party would run it better!

But they’re doing shite in Westminster, wouldn’t want them this side of the border:shrug:

Rjk
10-01-23, 16:39
It's certainly fair to criticise the UK govt for not devolving Air Passenger Duty (APD) as it has been done to Scotland and N.Ireland. However, they are arguably different cases but I do think it should be devolved

There is no reason to let the WG off the hook though. They own the bloody thing and APD is the same in Bristol as here. And would they even use the powers? They have a habit of not doing so and would Drakefords Labour really subsidise such a polluting industry?

The fault, as with many things here lies in Cardiff Bay and the sooner we hold them to a higher standard the better

the Welsh government have been demanding that apd was devolved for years, I'm pretty sure they aren't demanding it so that they can then ignore it and leave it where it was before

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:47
yes it's cheaper for airlines to travel from Bristol because the passenger numbers are so much higher there, so they get more flights making it cheaper and so on.
Cardiff was run into the ground prior to the government stepping in, they were doing a good job at getting more flights in and passenger numbers back up, but with COVID and everything since it's obvious that smaller airports like ours will be affected more

Ok so covid did exist when something goes tits up in Wales, but if it's in the UK covid didn't ever exist and it's all the tories' fault make your mind up.

Covid doesn't impact smaller airports more than larger ones, it impacts poorly run ones, less than nimble fast moving well-run ones.

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:48
But they’re doing shite in Westminster, wouldn’t want them this side of the border:shrug:

:hehe: They're here already

Rjk
10-01-23, 16:50
Ok so covid did exist when something goes tits up in Wales, but if it's in the UK covid didn't ever exist and it's all the tories' fault make your mind up.

Covid doesn't impact smaller airports more than larger ones, it impacts poorly run ones, less than nimble fast moving well-run ones.

no you're talking shite unfortunately

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 16:54
no you're talking shite unfortunately

OK, you've given up good, your attempt to defend them was poor and you've run out of excuses, good try.

They've made a mess of running the airport in addition to the rest.

It must be like trying to defend Cardiff with Mick McCarthy as Manager for ten years, OK we're in the Welsh League but we had covid and it affected us more than the other teams, Micks doing a cracking job.

I wasn't a fan of his either because he was useless too, but at least he had a good month or two while in charge.

Rjk
10-01-23, 17:00
OK, you've given up good, your attempt to defend them was poor and you've run out of excuses, good try.

They've made a mess of running the airport in addition to the rest.

It must be like trying to defend Cardiff with Mick McCarthy as Manager for ten years, OK we're in the Welsh League but we had covid and it affected us more than the other teams, Micks doing a cracking job.

I wasn't a fan of his either because he was useless too, but at least he had a good month or two while in charge.

in the years since the government bought it they increased passenger numbers from about 1 million per year to 1.65 million, which it steady and impressive growth.

then COVID hit and absolutely decimated the numbers of Cardiff and other small airports especially. larger airports were also affected, but as they start from a higher starting point it means that they are more likely to retain the "critical mass" needed to keep more routes open.

North Cardiff Blue
10-01-23, 17:24
in the years since the government bought it they increased passenger numbers from about 1 million per year to 1.65 million, which it steady and impressive growth.

then COVID hit and absolutely decimated the numbers of Cardiff and other small airports especially. larger airports were also affected, but as they start from a higher starting point it means that they are more likely to retain the "critical mass" needed to keep more routes open.

Ok we can agree to differ, I would see it as an opportunity to get on the front foot and steal some business from Bristol while the situation was quiet, but they were faffing around with harsher covid measures and getting on the telly.

They need a director of football equivalent urgently, get some expertise Wales needs a flourishing airport, they can't manage what they've got and need some help and quickly, it's probably too late to sort the roads but at least get some decent routes in quickly, and we need to use them where possible.

blue matt
10-01-23, 17:26
Ryanair and Easyjet operate the same system these days: a small carry-on (Ooh er, missus) suitcase can cost as much as the passenger.

I didnt realise this while I was looking at flights on sky scanner, he was adamant, a carry on normal ( non budget ) airlines is a small suitcase that fits in the bin overhead, a purse is just crazy

we fly KLM to Amsterdam and all took small carry on cabin cases ( from IKEA actually ) and travelled around Holland and Belgium with that

Trigger
10-01-23, 17:46
The airport is another disaster for Welsh Labour. I wasn't against them taking it on at the time but not to continually pump tax payer money into it, whatever their plan was, it has failed.

The list of failures mount up, unlike the uk government who rightfully are challenged and ridiculed, labour here continually get a free ride because it's Wales&Labour forever :wales:

UK politics badly needs a shake up, new parties, new election system. It's just the same old shit everywhere, only here there's zero challenge to Labour unless the nationalists get in, which would be even worse somehow.

Dave Blue
10-01-23, 17:48
I didnt realise this while I was looking at flights on sky scanner, he was adamant, a carry on normal ( non budget ) airlines is a small suitcase that fits in the bin overhead, a purse is just crazy

we fly KLM to Amsterdam and all took small carry on cabin cases ( from IKEA actually ) and travelled around Holland and Belgium with that

If you have to pay for a roller cabin case now you may as well go the whole hog and take a hold 23kg one.

blue matt
10-01-23, 17:50
If you have to pay for a roller cabin case now you may as well go the whole hog and take a hold 23kg one.

it wasnt 23kg with wiz air, from memory it was 15 kg

Rontomuk
10-01-23, 18:32
They are currently only doing two destinations from Cardiff Milan and Bucharest

Rjk
10-01-23, 18:49
The airport is another disaster for Welsh Labour. I wasn't against them taking it on at the time but not to continually pump tax payer money into it, whatever their plan was, it has failed.

The list of failures mount up, unlike the uk government who rightfully are challenged and ridiculed, labour here continually get a free ride because it's Wales&Labour forever :wales:

UK politics badly needs a shake up, new parties, new election system. It's just the same old shit everywhere, only here there's zero challenge to Labour unless the nationalists get in, which would be even worse somehow.

what are you talking about, it wasn't a disaster at all, it's saved the whole airport from inevitable closure by now, and they were well on track to double passenger numbers within 10 years if it hadn't been for COVID, and that would have put it in a much better place to be able to secure even more volume, and that's without even being able to drop the APD.
if the industry bounces back from COVID then they'll have the start rebuilding it back up again but I don't see how anyone can say they've done a terrible job so far.

TWGL1
10-01-23, 18:55
what are you talking about, it wasn't a disaster at all, it's saved the whole airport from inevitable closure by now, and they were well on track to double passenger numbers within 10 years if it hadn't been for COVID, and that would have put it in a much better place to be able to secure even more volume, and that's without even being able to drop the APD.
if the industry bounces back from COVID then they'll have the start rebuilding it back up again but I don't see how anyone can say they've done a terrible job so far.

Just imagine how many other businesses would have folded if Dripford (Drakeford for those offended ) had got his wish and locked Wales down for longer. The reason he didn’t is because Boris wouldn’t give him any more money.

Rjk
10-01-23, 19:36
Just imagine how many other businesses would have folded if Dripford (Drakeford for those offended ) had got his wish and locked Wales down for longer. The reason he didn’t is because Boris wouldn’t give him any more money.

really, how many more flights do you think would taking off from Cardiff if they had had the same lockdown rules as England?

TWGL1
10-01-23, 20:05
really, how many more flights do you think would taking off from Cardiff if they had had the same lockdown rules as England?

No idea , I was not talking about flights.

TWGL1
10-01-23, 20:24
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/columnist-says-mark-drakeford-bringing-25853365?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=organic

Drakeford represents the worst of devolution. He glories in all the trappings of power, but avoids any genuine responsibility. Over a hundred years, Wales has produced some of Britain’s greatest leaders. David Lloyd George, Nye Bevan and Roy Jenkins were all major figures, capable of reshaping the political landscape. They were reformers of vision.

“Devolution, however, has elevated political pygmies to positions of power and influence. Drakeford will leave behind a legacy of failure, whinging and division. Wales is capable of much better – and if devolution can’t produce more inspiring leaders, we would be better off without it.

goats
10-01-23, 20:25
Cardiff can accommodate the big jumbo’s
We flew to Toronto from there and also Florida
Until recently Qatar Airlines had a regular service
It’s all down to this landing tax?
Airlines don’t want to pay it
Is there someone on the board that actually understands the reasoning behind inflated tax for Cardiff and not for the likes of Bristol??

Would be great if cardiff started doing trans-Atlantic flights, knocking 30 mins off flight time and maybe attract people from the Bristol area who might not fancy the hell that is Gatwick and possibly Heathrow. Apart from Amsterdam are there actually any scheduled flights from there now?

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-01-23, 20:27
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/columnist-says-mark-drakeford-bringing-25853365?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=organic

Drakeford represents the worst of devolution. He glories in all the trappings of power, but avoids any genuine responsibility. Over a hundred years, Wales has produced some of Britain’s greatest leaders. David Lloyd George, Nye Bevan and Roy Jenkins were all major figures, capable of reshaping the political landscape. They were reformers of vision.

“Devolution, however, has elevated political pygmies to positions of power and influence. Drakeford will leave behind a legacy of failure, whinging and division. Wales is capable of much better – and if devolution can’t produce more inspiring leaders, we would be better off without it.

Did you write that or is it in the article ?

Roy Jenkins was hopeless

Eric the Half a Bee
10-01-23, 23:27
Ok we can agree to differ, I would see it as an opportunity to get on the front foot and steal some business from Bristol while the situation was quiet, but they were faffing around with harsher covid measures and getting on the telly.

Feck me, this is a new low for this board.

Cardiff airport should have spent Covid lockdown stealing business from Bristol airport. I presume you agreed with the Government parties, Cummins at that castle after an eye test etc. Words fail me.

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 09:28
Feck me, this is a new low for this board.

Cardiff airport should have spent Covid lockdown stealing business from Bristol airport. I presume you agreed with the Government parties, Cummins at that castle after an eye test etc. Words fail me.

Jesus, it's a bit early to go on the sherry, come back when you sobber up, I can't understand what you are trying to say, we are talking about Cardiff airport?

In answer to the totally irrelevant post, no parties shouldn't have gone on and Cummings is a tool and eventually got the sack?

Cardiff airport should be trying to beat its nearest competitor, Bristol airport at every opportunity.

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 09:30
Would be great if cardiff started doing trans-Atlantic flights, knocking 30 mins off flight time and maybe attract people from the Bristol area who might not fancy the hell that is Gatwick and possibly Heathrow. Apart from Amsterdam are there actually any scheduled flights from there now?

Exactly good post, it is a brilliant opportunity!

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 09:31

Totally agree, spot on!

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 09:34

Again spot on, Boris was for business, Drakeford was for keeping it locked up, don't worry about the economy, pay them furlough to stay at home. We'll be paying the furlough bill for the next 40 years.

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 09:39
I wonder if we will get Qatar airline flights ?

Rjk
11-01-23, 09:48

Yes that would be good in the longer term, better still of they could get a US soil departure gate like they have in Dublin, so you could do US immigration in Cardiff then when you reach the other side you just walk out the door. If I'm flying to the East coast US that;s my preferred route these days Cardiff-Dublin-USA.

Of course I'm not sure if the States would want to bother with another one of those so close to Dublin.

Something ike that coupled with a direct train into the terminal, with trains coming straight through from london to the airport could be massive.

But before Cardiff can even start to contemplate any of these grand schemes they need to get the passenger numbers back up to a much higher level, and that will be a gradual process .
They were previously making very good progress, and were probably approaching a level where they could start to be more successful in attracting more operators, but unfortunately Covid has put us right back to square one.

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 10:35
Yes that would be good in the longer term, better still of they could get a US soil departure gate like they have in Dublin, so you could do US immigration in Cardiff then when you reach the other side you just walk out the door. If I'm flying to the East coast US that;s my preferred route these days Cardiff-Dublin-USA.

Of course I'm not sure if the States would want to bother with another one of those so close to Dublin.

Something ike that coupled with a direct train into the terminal, with trains coming straight through from london to the airport could be massive.

But before Cardiff can even start to contemplate any of these grand schemes they need to get the passenger numbers back up to a much higher level, and that will be a gradual process .
They were previously making very good progress, and were probably approaching a level where they could start to be more successful in attracting more operators, but unfortunately Covid has put us right back to square one.

We need a Ryanair, or Easyjet, if you get one of them it would improve quickly.

We had BMIBaby years ago they were pretty good, and never properly replaced, it's frustratingly easy to sort, and this is not like running the NHS.

Taunton Blue Genie
11-01-23, 10:38

Sounds like a crap idea :hide:

TWGL1
11-01-23, 10:45

Not with their human rights record.

Rjk
11-01-23, 10:54

We had BMIBaby years ago they were pretty good, and never properly replaced, it's frustratingly easy to sort, and this is not like running the NHS.

we can't get ryanair or easyJet without boosting the passenger numbers first, it's a bit chicken and egg, but it works out more expensive for ryanair to operate out of a smaller airport, APD would help to shift the equation, but I still think we would need to grow Cardiff significantly first before someone like Ryanair or easyJet would consider returning

WJ99mobile
11-01-23, 11:00

Ryanair have been flying from Cardiff for some time

The fact that it hasn't really expanded much hasn't filled me with confidence

Garth Blue
11-01-23, 11:23

The big change happened when Cardiff and Bristol competed for Go, the British Airways Low Cost Airline. this was in 2001 and Bristol won. Then Easyjet bought Go and rapidly expanded. Go were, by far, the primary customer for Bristol as the airport grew. Prior to 2001, the numbers flying from Cardiff and Bristol were broadly similar. Cardiff then competed with Teeside for the next Lo-Cost Carrier off the block - BMIBaby. I was involved in securing the deal. You may recall that BMIBaby had an aircraft livery dedicated to marketing Wales. However BMIBaby were nowhere near as successful as RyanAir and Easyjet and eventually folded.

splott parker
11-01-23, 12:16
Again spot on, Boris was for business, Drakeford was for keeping it locked up, don't worry about the economy, pay them furlough to stay at home. We'll be paying the furlough bill for the next 40 years.

How is it the shyster Johnson is referred to as Boris and Mark is referred to as Drakeford?

goats
11-01-23, 13:09

I’m sure our esteemed leader had a word, they are looking for a new club to invest in too arent they? Is that why he went to Qatar to get them to buy ccfc…..:hehe:

North Cardiff Blue
11-01-23, 13:25
I’m sure our esteemed leader had a word, they are looking for a new club to invest in too arent they? Is that why he went to Qatar to get them to buy ccfc…..:hehe:

No such thing as a free lunch :thumbup:

A Quiet Monkfish
11-01-23, 13:31
How is it the shyster Johnson is referred to as Boris and Mark is referred to as Drakeford?

Drakeford is 'Mr Tortoise'

splott parker
11-01-23, 13:40
Drakeford is 'Mr Tortoise'

Ah, so it’s the hair & the tortoise!

blue matt
11-01-23, 17:10

US Preclearance at Dublin is Great, makes the flight so much more relaxing knowing you just get of the plane head to hire car / uber

I read ( a article in a US travel mag ) that the US wanted to make 6 more UK airports US Preclearance, they didnt mentioned which ones though

A Quiet Monkfish
11-01-23, 17:18
Ah, so it’s the hair & the tortoise!

That's quite good !

splott parker
11-01-23, 18:04
That's quite good !

Eye thenk yoo (courtesy of Big hearted Arthur Askey)

John Buchanan
11-01-23, 18:16
Can't confirm the source but, apparently, after a few jars in the 5 star hotel bar, he got them all singing "I'd rather be a Bluebird than a Cock". All will be revealed.

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-01-23, 18:17
The big change happened when Cardiff and Bristol competed for Go, the British Airways Low Cost Airline. this was in 2001 and Bristol won. Then Easyjet bought Go and rapidly expanded. Go were, by far, the primary customer for Bristol as the airport grew. Prior to 2001, the numbers flying from Cardiff and Bristol were broadly similar. Cardiff then competed with Teeside for the next Lo-Cost Carrier off the block - BMIBaby. I was involved in securing the deal. You may recall that BMIBaby had an aircraft livery dedicated to marketing Wales. However BMIBaby were nowhere near as successful as RyanAir and Easyjet and eventually folded.

Thank you

Is Cardiff Airport ever going to expand and challenge Bristol ?

Or is it doomed ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-01-23, 18:18

Because he's a tory cnut

2b2bdoo
11-01-23, 18:25

Shame about BMI baby, generally good numbers from Cardiff and must have made a fortune in additional airport check in fees, they were really strict.

TWGL1
11-01-23, 18:31
Because he's a tory cnut

I’ll reiterate once again for you. I can vote who the hell I want my friend, for info , I was brought up on a council estate, and yes people perceived deprived backgrounds can change their political allegiance from time to time just like the odd M.P.

I have in the past voted for Labour and Liberal Democrats. Who knows who I vote for next time, it depends how the political landscape is at the time. Presently I’m openminded as I usually am mid term , now , why do you act like a child when a poster you don’t even know has a different political opinion to you ?

You say you don’t drink, so what are you on half the time ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-01-23, 19:26
I’ll reiterate once again for you. I can vote who the hell I want my friend, for info , I was brought up on a council estate, and yes people perceived deprived backgrounds can change their political allegiance from time to time just like the odd M.P.

I have in the past voted for Labour and Liberal Democrats. Who knows who I vote for next time, it depends how the political landscape is at the time. Presently I’m openminded as I usually am mid term , now , why do you act like a child when a poster you don’t even know has a different political opinion to you ?

I was talking about the north cardiff mafia not you

But it appears to have drawn you out of the political wilderness

So all this cobblers you post is clearly anti drakeford and anti Labour and pro tory

It's good you have finally fallen on your sword

TWGL1
11-01-23, 19:28
I was talking about the north cardiff mafia not you

But it appears to have drawn you out of the political wilderness

So all this cobblers you post is clearly anti drakeford and anti Labour and pro tory

It's good you have finally fallen on your sword

Read my post again ,and at the moment I’m undecided , is that ok ?

Garth Blue
11-01-23, 20:02
Thank you

Is Cardiff Airport ever going to expand and challenge Bristol ?

Or is it doomed ?

It's getting tougher all the time.
The current environment for air travel is making marginal airports and routes struggle.
Airlines are not prepared to take risks and will go where success is more certain.
CWL needs to decide what kind of airport it wants to be.
That needs vision and investment - not just at the airport but also the surrounding transport infrastructure.
Without that the airport will continue to struggle.

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-01-23, 20:40
The current environment for air travel is making marginal airports and routes struggle.
Airlines are not prepared to take risks and will go where success is more certain.
That needs vision and investment - not just at the airport but also the surrounding transport infrastructure.

I think the answer is probably its going to eventually wither away

Flights will get the people using the airport , people don't tend to worry about it being semi rural and with small roads if they can take the wife to Milan for a long weekend

TWGL1
11-01-23, 20:53
I think the answer is probably its going to eventually wither away

Flights will get the people using the airport , people don't tend to worry about it being semi rural and with small roads if they can take the wife to Milan for a long weekend

Maybe they (WAG) want to reduce air travel and the best way is to mothball the place.

This article may explain things where it’s suggested Only three UK airports should stay open beyond 2030

https://www.transportxtra.com/publications/local-transport-today/news/62997/every-airport-and-port-must-close-for-climate--academics/

CF23 Bluebird
11-01-23, 20:56
Exactly good post, it is a brilliant opportunity!Especially as BA has their maintenance facility next door. What better opportunity to fly transatlantic from there for them?

goats
11-01-23, 22:10
Can't confirm the source but, apparently, after a few jars in the 5 star hotel bar, he got them all singing "I'd rather be a Bluebird than a Cock". All will be revealed.

Going nowhere with psg so might aswell cash in and buy us….:hehe:

North Cardiff Blue
12-01-23, 14:39

I wouldn't bother he can't coherently follow and reply to any threads.

North Cardiff Blue
12-01-23, 14:44

No chance then, the welsh government is not interested in making driving in Wales easier, it's just obstacle after obstacle, as already said roads are getting more crowded and lanes are being removed and bottlenecks are not being improved and speeds are being reduced.

WJ99mobile
16-01-23, 21:42
No chance then, the welsh government is not interested in making driving in Wales easier, it's just obstacle after obstacle, as already said roads are getting more crowded and lanes are being removed and bottlenecks are not being improved and speeds are being reduced.

Isn’t the metro supposed to be servicing the airport?

As Wales as the owner, it wouldn’t be a big expense to have a cheap/free park and ride direct to the airport with security with a flight ticket. Can use the extra space at the airport then for other means

Surely a quick win.

WJ99mobile
16-01-23, 21:43
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64274221.amp

Airport in the wrong place.

ToTaL ITK
16-01-23, 21:44
the most important thing is that our airport is bigger than most other clubs medium sized airport ?

goats
16-01-23, 22:06
£210 million down the pan…..crikey that’s shocking

xsnaggle
16-01-23, 22:07
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64274221.amp

Airport in the wrong place.

I would have thought that was obvious!

Wozza16
16-01-23, 22:53
Various issues with Cardiff airport but nothing unfixable, a lot come down to mindset. I see a lot of people say Bristol is cheaper etc etc and I'm sure some fares are vastly different like all airports in the world but some family members and friends of mine say similar then when you sit down and add up the extra costs like fuel, wear and tear and other things the price difference is negligible, this isn't even including the extra time of driving to Bristol and back!

People in Wales need to use and treat Welsh assets well otherwise we'll lose them then we'll be complaining when Bristol airlines increase fares as there is no competition!

Covid was horrific timing, Qatar airways was just getting underway and starting to get traction especially with freight. The world cup would have been great being able to fly from Cardiff for both Welsh and English!

blue matt
16-01-23, 22:54
£210 million down the pan…..crikey that’s shocking

its a fair whack of money, the thing is, with no end is sight, are they going to throw more at it or call it a day

Monday had 7 flights taking off ( according to that article )

Dorcus
16-01-23, 23:08

Sensible bloke our Mark. That Johnson twat would have killed off half the population.

Eric the Half a Bee
16-01-23, 23:17
Sensible bloke our Mark. That Johnson twat would have killed off half the population.

North Cardiff Blue
17-01-23, 09:19
its a fair whack of money, the thing is, with no end is sight, are they going to throw more at it or call it a day

Monday had 7 flights taking off ( according to that article )

All the staff for 7 planes, you would need 10 times that or more to make it viable.

North Cardiff Blue
17-01-23, 09:24

I've heard it all now, you two really believe there should have been harder lockdowns?

Wake up and smell the coffee, you can't say the NHS is in a mess and people are short of money, and then we should have locked down harder, paid furlough for longer, and made this situation much worse?

That's Labour thinking, no thought of the cost, just do pay furlough, and keep people safe, then when we come out, just pay more for the NHS, give the staff 19%, pay the railways more, put interest rates down, pay peoples energy bills, borrow borrow borrow Liz Truss style and we all know where that ends.

Cardiff Ultra
17-01-23, 16:07
Heres a radical suggestion that I just thought about (so is almost certainly bollocks), what is the possibility of creating a spur off the Bridgend line to the airport and then running express trains to it from Central ala Heathrow? Surely that would be a game changer?

Rjk
17-01-23, 16:18
Heres a radical suggestion that I just thought about (so is almost certainly bollocks), what is the possibility of creating a spur off the Bridgend line to the airport and then running express trains to it from Central ala Heathrow? Surely that would be a game changer?

yes it would be, I think you'd still need to raise the numbers of passengers to a bigger level first to make it a worthwhile investment, as new train lines are expensive. like £2k a metre or something like that.
perhaps that's what they would have been looking at by now if it hadn't have been for COVID, they would have probably been up to £2 million passengers per year by now and maybe those kind of grander schemes could be more viable

WJ99mobile
17-01-23, 16:32
yes it would be, I think you'd still need to raise the numbers of passengers to a bigger level first to make it a worthwhile investment, as new train lines are expensive. like £2k a metre or something like that.
perhaps that's what they would have been looking at by now if it hadn't have been for COVID, they would have probably been up to £2 million passengers per year by now and maybe those kind of grander schemes could be more viable

The cost would be astronomical and the use would be minimal

It could be done but to make it pay would require big infra costs upfront which the WAG won’t do. They could of course sell parcels of land with planning consent next to the stops but that’s too much joined up thinking for them

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
17-01-23, 18:52

I think they looked into doing this but the nearby residents kicked up a stink.

North Cardiff Blue
18-01-23, 09:26

The problem is you can't get the numbers up if they don't have the good routes, a bit of a chicken and an egg.

They need one weekly flight to Malaga and every other popular destination in the first place, then two, three, and so on........

Rjk
18-01-23, 09:52
The problem is you can't get the numbers up if they don't have the good routes, a bit of a chicken and an egg.

They need one weekly flight to Malaga and every other popular destination in the first place, then two, three, and so on........

It's totally chicken and egg, which is what's so unfortunate about the timing of the covid and what has happened since, as it was steadily increasing numbers year on year under the government's control, that has put them right back to square one.

Dorcus
18-01-23, 13:11
I've heard it all now, you two really believe there should have been harder lockdowns?

Wake up and smell the coffee, you can't say the NHS is in a mess and people are short of money, and then we should have locked down harder, paid furlough for longer, and made this situation much worse?

That's Labour thinking, no thought of the cost, just do pay furlough, and keep people safe, then when we come out, just pay more for the NHS, give the staff 19%, pay the railways more, put interest rates down, pay peoples energy bills, borrow borrow borrow Liz Truss style and we all know where that ends.

Sounds good to me and whack up the tax on the rich. It's got my vote 👍

Dorcus
18-01-23, 13:15

I think from an economic point of view the best option would have been to have sited the airport West of Newport had the land been available and suitable.

It would have allowed access to bigger population including people from Bristol/West of England.

Rjk
18-01-23, 13:17
I think from an economic point of view the best option would have been to have sited the airport West of Newport had the land been available and suitable.

It would have allowed access to bigger population including people from Bristol/West of England.

I think the best option would have been to have closed cariff and bristol Airports and expanded the airport at Filton.
It would be on the M4, M5 and on the main rail lines from london.

Dorcus
18-01-23, 13:20
I think the best option would have been to have closed cariff and bristol Airports and expanded the airport at Filton.

Yes that would have made sense.

bigjoe
18-01-23, 13:24

Probably not as easy these days as when they demolished a village to lengthen the runway for the Brabazon.

blue matt
18-01-23, 18:29

I think they always had plans for the site, its too big and too much money to be made

I find the new stuff they are building look fairly 60's council flats, square buildings with zero features, its contemporary by all accounts ( think they said that about gibbonstown in Barry in the 60's :shrug: )

the concept of the community looks great though, Hanger 16 at the centre of the district, not to mentioned Concordes hanger being a 15 K arena, which imho the area needs

JamesWales
23-01-23, 15:42
Former owner predicts the airport won't exist in five years.

I doubt that's the case but serious questions about it's viability are being asked. Big issue for the BA Maintenance facility adjacent the airport too

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-airport-probably-wont-exist-26031576

Rjk
23-01-23, 15:52
Former owner predicts the airport won't exist in five years.

I doubt that's the case but serious questions about it's viability are being asked. Big issue for the BA Maintenance facility adjacent the airport too

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-airport-probably-wont-exist-26031576

if the government hadn't stepped in in 2013 it would have closed a long time ago.

what would have been the cost to Wales of not having a viable airport?

xsnaggle
23-01-23, 16:18
if the government hadn't stepped in in 2013 it would have closed a long time ago.

what would have been the cost to Wales of not having a viable airport?

to be fair we don't have a viable airport and what is it costing us?

Rjk
23-01-23, 16:29
to be fair we don't have a viable airport and what is it costing us?

it was growing steadily, and would probably be at the 2m mark by now if it hadn't have been for COVID, which would make it a lot easier to start expanding the range of flights and justify doing more ambitious things to the transport etc.

but COVID has ****ed all that, I guess we need to wait a few years to see what the whole industry bounces back to.
if it returns to where it was then ok, we've lost a few years but should still be ok. if it is changed forever then yeah the airport will likely close, but so will many others