PDA

View Full Version : Dalman interview with Scott Johnson

Undercoverinwurzelland
21-01-23, 09:12
"What is the plan with regards to Mark’s replacement? Are the club once again considering in-house options, or is a managerial search underway?

There is a search underway, but the owner wants to give the current manager a bit of time before we decide."

A bit of time???!!!

https://roathboy.com/roathboy-x-mehmet-dalman/

UNDERHILL1927
21-01-23, 09:12
Not had the time to properly digest it but seems more political posturing to me. Pretty pointless.

Michael Morris
21-01-23, 09:13

Opens up some of the clubs thoughts on the Sala court cases and reasons for them

blue lewj
21-01-23, 09:17
We're going to leave it run until the end of the transfer window and give it to Whitehead or some other nobody and give them a day or two to work miracles aren't we.

My prediction that they would drag out Hudson and the reasons for it before booting him are still being played out. We're just giving Whitehead time. Why, I'm not sure as he is nowhere near what we want or need.

Undercoverinwurzelland
21-01-23, 09:20
We're going to leave it run until the end of the transfer window and give it to Whitehead or some other nobody and give them a day or two to work miracles aren't we.

My prediction that they would drag out Hudson and the reasons for it before booting him are still being played out. We're just giving Whitehead time. Why, I'm not sure as he is nowhere near what we want or need.
There's something seriously wrong with Tan if he thinks that making do with assistant managers is heading anywhere other than relegation.

BLUETIT
21-01-23, 09:23
Nothing new then !

2b2bdoo
21-01-23, 09:24
Daft, someone should be in by now and looking at whose available to bring in.

blue lewj
21-01-23, 09:25
There's something seriously wrong with Tan if he thinks that making do with assistant managers is heading anywhere other than relegation.

I've said it time and again but there is a failure to learn from mistakes.

Morison and Hudson haven't worked so let's consider Whitehead. It is madness.

Dalman seems to be distancing himself from Tan where possible too.

Bobby Dandruff
"What is the plan with regards to Mark’s replacement? Are the club once again considering in-house options, or is a managerial search underway?

There is a search underway, but the owner wants to give the current manager a bit of time before we decide."

A bit of time???!!!

Did the interviewer ask why exactly??!!!!! :-o

John Buchanan
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you pass the buck.

superfeathers
21-01-23, 09:26
Nothing new then !
Leeds game gave some encouragement I’d
Imagine

A Quiet Monkfish
21-01-23, 09:29
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you pass the buck.

I thought it was an honest interview which gave a lot more insight into the Sala case than the ribald speculation on here and the other place.

J R Hartley
21-01-23, 09:31
I've said it time and again but there is a failure to learn from mistakes.

Morison and Hudson haven't worked so let's consider Whitehead. It is madness.

Dalman seems to be distancing himself from Tan where possible too.

For once I agree with this grizzler

Utterly bonkers to consider Whitehead we need someone new and fresh in the building, not promoting the previous coach / under 21 manager

The Lone Gunman
21-01-23, 09:36
Utterly bonkers to consider Whitehead we need someone new and fresh in the building, not promoting the previous coach / under 21 manager

Whitehead was appointed as first team coach in the first week of November. Since then, the side hasn’t won a game and performances have deteriorated. So what do they do? They put him in charge.

Completely and utterly bonkers.

Harry Bosch
21-01-23, 09:43

A bit of time???!!!

It's difficult not to conclude that VT simply does not wish to appoint a new manager while the transfer window is open. That would mean spending on players to satisfy a more experienced manager. He states that VT would like to give DW some time yet we only have this afternoon's match before the transfer window "slams shut". So, should we win today, I see no reason that they will employ a new manager (DW aside) before 1 February. This doesn't mean that managers aren't available from that date, but it does mean that they will not be expecting any immediate transfer funds. Subsequent to the Sala payment, I had not expected VT to loosen the purse strings as it were and felt that Hudson would need to work on limited resources in terms of loan wages but then he was dismissed. I hoped that VT now saw the need to bring in an experienced manager who may command a higher salary than palatable. Yet that certainly doesn't appear to be the case. Strap in for the next lap of the track !

Harry Bosch
21-01-23, 09:45
It's difficult not to conclude that VT simply does not wish to appoint a new manager while the transfer window is open. That would mean spending on players to satisfy a more experienced manager. He states that VT would like to give DW some time yet we only have this afternoon's match before the transfer window "slams shut". So, should we win today, I see no reason that they will employ a new manager (DW aside) before 1 February. This doesn't mean that managers aren't available from that date, but it does mean that they will not be expecting any immediate transfer funds. Subsequent to the Sala payment, I had not expected VT to loosen the purse strings as it were and felt that Hudson would need to work on limited resources in terms of loan wages but then he was dismissed. I hoped that VT now saw the need to bring in an experienced manager who may command a higher salary than palatable. Yet that certainly doesn't appear to be the case. Strap in for the next lap of the track !

PS.. I am well aware that we cannot pay transfer fees !

the other bob wilson
21-01-23, 09:53
After ninety five minutes last Saturday, Hudson was set to remain our manager - a minute later, he was toast. That Wigan goal cost Hudson dear and if you think of it like that, it's hard to think of a more precise way of describing the term "kneejerk reaction".

Harry Bosch
21-01-23, 10:01
Especially given the quite clear lack of a contingency plan ! Indeed, one WOL report (I believe Glen Williams) suggested that a meeting of backroom staff was called in which DW made it clear he'd be prepared to step in. I couldn't help but wonder if Ken Choo asked "is there anybody in the room prepared to be a caretaker? Anyone? We're not picky at this point".

2b2bdoo
21-01-23, 10:06
After ninety five minutes last Saturday, Hudson was set to remain our manager - a minute later, he was toast. That Wigan goal cost Hudson dear and if you think of it like that, it's hard to think of a more precise way of describing the term "kneejerk reaction".

Should have gone weeks ago.

John Buchanan
21-01-23, 10:06
I thought it was an honest interview which gave a lot more insight into the Sala case than the ribald speculation on here and the other place.
Honest or not, he passed the buck to Choo, VT or others too often for my liking.
I have never thought it good practice to do so.

Hilts
21-01-23, 10:07
I just think its a matter of Tan not wanting to spend any money.

Its Whiteheads to lose.

He was 16-1 yesterday. 8 more games needed after today.

NottinghamBlue
21-01-23, 10:15

Yes, I agree. Every interview that I have heard of Mehmet Dalman he has answered every question that has been asked of him.

I didn't realise that he was now a non-exec.

the other bob wilson
21-01-23, 10:17
Should have gone weeks ago.

Well, I'd say he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place, but that's to miss the point I'm trying to make. Hudson was only sacked because of that very late Wigan equaliser and Dalman's comments in this morning's article confirm that, as usual, Tan and co had no contingency plans in place for when our increasingly trigger happy owner decides a manager has to go.

bluemoon
21-01-23, 10:19
free falling then into L1 and a new longer term appointment will be made then for the fight back... so to speak

so it seems we got want we wanted if we accepted the red and bounced tan around the pitch on our shoulders he may have poured even more into the club and players and who knows...who knows we could still be there now

what we got is back in blue in L2... as if that is to be believed he will never let us go into admin, no he will just let us slip away into the dark hole...

A Quiet Monkfish
21-01-23, 10:28
Well, I'd say he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place, but that's to miss the point I'm trying to make. Hudson was only sacked because of that very late Wigan equaliser and Dalman's comments in this morning's article confirm that, as usual, Tan and co had no contingency plans in place for when our increasingly trigger happy owner decides a manager has to go.

It does seem that they [he] only seem to be able to address the manager situation with a dismissal, but ignore the other equally important factor - a replacement. I reckon I'm probably 2000th or something in line of accession.

2b2bdoo
21-01-23, 10:30

It may not have been just the goal, but performance as well, I was more than happy he was sacked after a poor draw at home to bottom
of the league. The lack of planning after the sacking sadly seems to be expected from the club when it comes to managers.

Maurice Swan
21-01-23, 10:33
What is the plan with regards to Mark’s replacement? Are the club once again considering in-house options, or is a managerial search underway?

I started reading this and thought it was a spoof comment......did not realise it was serious......:facepalm::facepalm:
I don't usually swear but I am getting close with this ridiculous situation.

blue lewj
21-01-23, 10:34
free falling then into L1 and a new longer term appointment will be made then for the fight back... so to speak

so it seems we got want we wanted if we accepted the red and bounced tan around the pitch on our shoulders he may have poured even more into the club and players and who knows...who knows we could still be there now

what we got is back in blue in L2... as if that is to be believed he will never let us go into admin, no he will just let us slip away into the dark hole...

Will it though. If he's appointing garbage managers and not spending now what makes you think he will wake up and see the situation as it is in League 1.

If he wants to save money he will whatever league we are in.

Hilts
21-01-23, 10:41
Trying to be positive. Theres a lot on here who think we have a decent squad.

Maybe Tan will get lucky and Whitehead is a really good coach and manager in the making and gets us out of this.

blue lewj
21-01-23, 11:01

Maybe Tan will get lucky and Whitehead is a really good coach and manager in the making and gets us out of this.

That's the exact issue though. Nobody knows.

Least of all Tan.

NYCBlue
21-01-23, 11:56
"Don’t forget, we got relegated by only one point."

We got relegated by 2 points and a -10 goal difference.

sneggyblubird
21-01-23, 12:11

Lets hope so. Looking forward to see if there's any changes in the way we play.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-01-23, 12:24
Lowest goalscorers in the division

2nd lowest number of goals in our history

We are going down

And they are sitting there twiddling their thumbs whilst Rome burns

LeningradCowboy
21-01-23, 12:24

A bit of time???!!!

What is the saying about doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

We deserve to be relegated at this point. The club is a basket case.

tforturton
21-01-23, 12:33
Well, Dalman played that with a straight bat, and just fielded all the questions very professionally. Saying lots, but not saying anything at all. I bet he didn't break sweat for a second.

goats
21-01-23, 12:36
Whitehead was appointed as first team coach in the first week of November. Since then, the side hasn’t won a game and performances have deteriorated. So what do they do? They put him in charge.

Completely and utterly bonkers.

Has anyone considered that Tan might be an undercover Jack? If I saw a photo of him sitting on a beach in a swansea top and speedos sipping a martini I wouldn’t be at all surprised :biggrin:

goats
21-01-23, 12:44

:hehe:

Trigger
21-01-23, 13:03
It's just bonkers.

I'm convinced we're living in some ****wits football manager save.

Dorcus
21-01-23, 13:05
Has anyone considered that Tan might be an undercover Jack? If I saw a photo of him sitting on a beach in a swansea top and speedos sipping a martini I wouldn’t be at all surprised :biggrin:

He's considered a hero down Abertawe way.

bluemoon
21-01-23, 13:08
i dont know what it is i just dont like the guy... is it just me, i never have, just find him smarmy...

is that a word... yes i just googled it = ingratiating and wheedling in a way that is regarded as insincere or excessive.

yeah smarmy, not heard that in years im gonna bring it back

MacAdder
21-01-23, 13:45
Everybody else's fault bar his then.

Whether some or any of his answers are accurate or not, it seems to me Mehmet's days are numbered and that he wants out.

If not, he's treading a very fine line.

The Hooded Claw
21-01-23, 14:05
I find the interview very worrying from a point of view of looking at the club's future.
The first question is around the sacking of Hudson and the chairman can only refer us to Vincent Tan. You'd have thought that there would at least have been a discussion involving Vincent Tan, Dalman and Choo around this, so they’re aware of the logic behind the decision.
He then dodges the question around potential problems attracting players who can't be told who they're going to be playing for, because no one knows who it's going to be.
He says that Vincent Tan wants to give Whitehead "time", but as another poster has mentioned, we have one more game until the window closes, so again, potential recruits don't know who the manager is going to be. Will it be Whitehead for a couple of matches, then an "older head"? Who knows. The other implication of this is that if a new manager is going to be appointed outside of the window, then it puts off lots of applicants who will be risking their reputation with less chance of bringing in players, as we'll only be allowed unattached ones.
The conversation moves on to the type of manager they're looking for and Dalman says they're looking at "all options".
This points to a clear lack of succession planning and proves that Mark Hudson was sacked without anybody else being lined up. I reckon Mr Blobby might be on that list.
How is that Blackpool have removed and replaced their manager inside 2 days and we are apparently no closer to appointing our new manager because we're giving Whitehead some time?
He sounds like he wants Warnock back, but I get the impression that Tan feels like he was conned, so that might not happen.
The Emiliano Sala piece is interesting, although we don't appear to be much closer to resolution, which is not great.
The bit about him not having executive powers is a convenient way to shift the blame onto others. If he has little say, then the interview really needs to be with Choo - or Vincent Tan. His comment about maybe doing a Zoom is patronising to say the least, as it doesn't point to a firm commitment by the club to improve its dialogue with the fans.

And the elephant in the room - a Director of Football - is not even mentioned.

It just points to us desperately needing a new management structure - maybe a new owner. Remember, that Dalman and Choo are paid handsomely for their laissez-faire style of part time running our club.

RichardM
21-01-23, 14:09

Whether some or any of his answers are accurate or not, it seems to me Mehmet's days are numbered and that he wants out.

It left me wondering why he is doing the job. When you look at his background he has had some pretty high powered positions. I can't see why he would want Tan as a boss at a basket case of a business where he isn't allowed to make decisions.

RichardM
21-01-23, 14:13
I find the interview very worrying from a point of view of looking at the club's future.
The first question is around the sacking of Hudson and the chairman can only refer us to Vincent Tan. You'd have thought that there would at least have been a discussion involving Vincent Tan, Dalman and Choo around this, so they’re aware of the logic behind the decision.
He then dodges the question around potential problems attracting players who can't be told who they're going to be playing for, because no one knows who it's going to be.
He says that Vincent Tan wants to give Whitehead "time", but as another poster has mentioned, we have one more game until the window closes, so again, potential recruits don't know who the manager is going to be. Will it be Whitehead for a couple of matches, then an "older head"? Who knows. The other implication of this is that if a new manager is going to be appointed outside of the window, then it puts off lots of applicants who will be risking their reputation with less chance of bringing in players, as we'll only be allowed unattached ones.
The conversation moves on to the type of manager they're looking for and Dalman says they're looking at "all options".
This points to a clear lack of succession planning and proves that Mark Hudson was sacked without anybody else being lined up. I reckon Mr Blobby might be on that list.
How is that Blackpool have removed and replaced their manager inside 2 days and we are apparently no closer to appointing our new manager because we're giving Whitehead some time?
He sounds like he wants Warnock back, but I get the impression that Tan feels like he was conned, so that might not happen.
The Emiliano Sala piece is interesting, although we don't appear to be much closer to resolution, which is not great.
The bit about him not having executive powers is a convenient way to shift the blame onto others. If he has little say, then the interview really needs to be with Choo - or Vincent Tan. His comment about maybe doing a Zoom is patronising to say the least, as it doesn't point to a firm commitment by the club to improve its dialogue with the fans.

And the elephant in the room - a Director of Football - is not even mentioned.

It just points to us desperately needing a new management structure - maybe a new owner. Remember, that Dalman and Choo are paid handsomely for their laissez-faire style of part time running our club.

"if a new manager is going to be appointed outside of the window, then it puts off lots of applicants who will be risking their reputation with less chance of bringing in players, as we'll only be allowed unattached ones."

I don't think it will. If a new guy keeps us up then his reputation is boosted. If we go down he can say he it wasn't his fault, he couldn't bring new players in and we were going down whoever was manager.
I agree with the rest of your post.

2b2bdoo
21-01-23, 14:29
Hard to tell the time but Dalman seemed a bit off-ish with his comments about managers, almost as if it’s not my fault.

The Hooded Claw
21-01-23, 14:42
Hard to tell the time but Dalman seemed a bit off-ish with his comments about managers, almost as if it’s not my fault.

Yes - it was "ask Vincent. He makes all the decisions around here".

Dorcus
21-01-23, 15:16
Yes - it was "ask Vincent. He makes all the decisions around here".

And that in a nutshell is the nub of the entire problem.

Des Parrot
21-01-23, 16:07
What an atrocious (if honest) interview. Like my kids 20 years ago. Wasn’t me it’s him to blame. I honestly think he should resign after that, as he’s obviously powerless.

bluemoon
21-01-23, 16:24
bet prince andrew be walking around with nothing to worry after that shambles of an interview

Undercoverinwurzelland
21-01-23, 17:04
bet prince andrew be walking around with nothing to worry after that shambles of an interview
"I didn't sign Sala - I was in Pizza Express Woking at the time "

Harry Bosch
21-01-23, 17:09

Dalman appears to be more than happy to set himself on a collision course with VT. This isn't the first time he's boldly stated that VT has made choices that he disagreed with. It does make me wonder if there is ulterior motive. He (MD) clearly harbours ambitions of running a football club and it seems we are on the hook to him (or companies we are told he is linked to) for many millions. Does he see an angle to make a move? I don't understand why VT would keep him on as non-executive chairman when he is blatantly happy to finger VT.

Dorcus
21-01-23, 17:31
Dalman appears to be more than happy to set himself on a collision course with VT. This isn't the first time he's boldly stated that VT has made choices that he disagreed with. It does make me wonder if there is ulterior motive. He (MD) clearly harbours ambitions of running a football club and it seems we are on the hook to him (or companies we are told he is linked to) for many millions. Does he see an angle to make a move? I don't understand why VT would keep him on as non-executive chairman when he is blatantly happy to finger VT.

Perhaps it's because HE IS fingering VT!

Harry Bosch
21-01-23, 17:35
Ok, so run with that. To what end? Why does he remain the incumbent chairman of Cardiff City Football Club. Why hasn't VT had enough of the buck being passed so to speak? He hated the fans being behind Malky McKay and seeing him as the villain of the piece, so why would he tolerate MD laying all blame at his door in a manner that suggests he (MD) knows better?

JumpersforGoalposts
22-01-23, 00:06
It left me wondering why he is doing the job. When you look at his background he has had some pretty high powered positions. I can't see why he would want Tan as a boss at a basket case of a business where he isn't allowed to make decisions.

Asset management fees would be the answer to your conundrum.