PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember if this was ever posted - Dave Jones podcast

Eric the Half a Bee
30-01-23, 23:07
From around half an hour on it's mainly all about Cardiff City. https://www.podpage.com/tws-sports-podcast/tws-sports-podcast-dave-jones/

Sam Hammam was crazy, felt that the Barnsley semi final was our real cup final, thought the Blackpool playoff final defeat was one of those things that can happen on the day and we were the better team, was sacked after falling out with the board, blamed the players for not behaving as they should have the night before the Middlesbrough game (0-3) and obviously hated Steve Tucker.

SLUDGE FACTORY
30-01-23, 23:46
If he had been a pleasant bloke and talked to the fans instead of talking about us then I think his time here would have been more fondly remembered

I preferred Lennie

Eric the Half a Bee
30-01-23, 23:57
If he had been a pleasant bloke and talked to the fans instead of talking about us then I think his time here would have been more fondly remembered

I preferred Lennie

Yes, he talked for a few minutes about fans on message boards saying stuff about him. He's been gone from the club over a decade now but it still obviously annoys him.

SLUDGE FACTORY
31-01-23, 01:03
Yes, he talked for a few minutes about fans on message boards saying stuff about him. He's been gone from the club over a decade now but it still obviously annoys him.

Well he certainly annoyed some of us

stan butler
31-01-23, 05:51

I preferred Lennie

Jones was a grumpy fecker but i enjoyed the way the team played under him.
Hammam was a bullshi**er and like his minions an attention seeker.
Lennie was a yes man

Kind of Blue
31-01-23, 08:45
Rose tinted specs and all that but give or take his time at the club is probably my fondest as a city fan. Some opportunities missed however, still think of that hot day in may against Blackpool and the what ifs. Was speaking to a work colleague that has a few tangerine mates about it last week strangely, still puts me in a bit of a revery.

His demeanour never really bothered me but I can understand why it grated on some of our fans.

OurManFlint II
31-01-23, 08:53
The way Dave Jones was treated by the press and public due to the allegation against him. He was well within his rights to be dismissive and defensive against both, he owed them f*** all, good for him.

Rjk
31-01-23, 08:55

I think it's pretty understandable why he might have been a bit sensitive about people saying stuff about him, given his history

blue matt
31-01-23, 09:26
speed it up to 1.5 speed, otherwise its unbearable

jon1959
31-01-23, 09:33
A reminder of the days when a Cardiff City manager was 3rd longest serving out of 92 (I think) in the English leagues.

bobh
31-01-23, 09:37
Football under Jones was great - mainly because the players weren't coached into rigid tactics and played their own game.
But pre-season training was a joke. According to Jon Parkin's book, he took the players to Portugal, after ten minutes training "it's too hot - let's go and have a drink"
No wonder we often crumbled after a good start.

the other bob wilson
31-01-23, 10:06
There's absolutely no comparison in terms of entertainment value between what was served up by Dave Jones', sometimes flaky, teams and the dross we've had to watch for most of the last decade.

Rjk
31-01-23, 11:05
There's absolutely no comparison in terms of entertainment value between what was served up by Dave Jones', sometimes flaky, teams and the dross we've had to watch for most of the last decade.

we could be pretty direct under Jones when we needed to, but it was still an entertaining style.

SLUDGE FACTORY
31-01-23, 11:42
Jones was a grumpy fecker but i enjoyed the way the team played under him.
Hammam was a bullshi**er and like his minions an attention seeker.
Lennie was a yes man

Lennie was a great manager

SLUDGE FACTORY
31-01-23, 11:46
The way Dave Jones was treated by the press and public due to the allegation against him. He was well within his rights to be dismissive and defensive against both, he owed them f*** all, good for him.

Fans and the press questioning his tactics or signings is part of the game

He was wrongly accused of a crime and that's appalling but the two need to be separated

I think he should have taken a few years out to do that book , away from the game and I thought him pushing it whilst still working for us was not appropriate

Eric the Half a Bee
31-01-23, 13:45
we could be pretty direct under Jones when we needed to, but it was still an entertaining style.

Sometimes. Quite often we went long when we were outnumbered in midfield. It didn't always work and we were sometimes a very frustrating side to watch.

There were times when his sides looked as clueless and drab as anything awful we've seen in more recent years. When we were good, we would have matched any bottom half premier league side. When we were crap, we were really crap. It's odd that we often had long spells of looking like world beaters, then as if someone had flicked the switch off, we'd be dreadful for a while. Could never fathom out why. November was usually a really bad month and most seasons saw us collapse in the run-in.

Ninja
31-01-23, 13:54
His choice of changes mid-game were dubious at best, but I really enjoyed our football under Jones.
He allowed players to play their game and didn't demand forwards track back etc alike many "modern" managers...
I know which I'd rather, and it's not the latter.

blue matt
31-01-23, 14:37
I think it's pretty understandable why he might have been a bit sensitive about people saying stuff about him, given his history

did he mean questioning his tactics or his alleged affair with a ex Wales netball coach ( then player for wales and Dragons ) , its a fine line

Rjk
31-01-23, 14:48
did he mean questioning his tactics or his alleged affair with a ex Wales netball coach ( then player for wales and Dragons ) , its a fine line

nothing alleged about that I don't think :hehe:

blue matt
31-01-23, 15:40
nothing alleged about that I don't think :hehe:

you are right, and especially not in his wife's eyes

NYCBlue
01-02-23, 01:04
Football under Jones was great - mainly because the players weren't coached into rigid tactics and played their own game.
But pre-season training was a joke. According to Jon Parkin's book, he took the players to Portugal, after ten minutes training "it's too hot - let's go and have a drink"
No wonder we often crumbled after a good start.

I've seen Parkin's podcast. Maybe pre-season was a bit of a piss up, but I very much doubt this happened.

J R Hartley
01-02-23, 01:16
Lennie was a great manager

Bollocks. His football was dire. Safety first attritional fayre. He had the likes of Kavanagh, Thorne, Earnie and still only just crawled over the line.

The DJ sides and football were by far the best in modern history.

the other bob wilson
01-02-23, 07:34
Bollocks. His football was dire. Safety first attritional fayre. He had the likes of Kavanagh, Thorne, Earnie and still only just crawled over the line.

The DJ sides and football were by far the best in modern history.

Lennie was pragmatic in what is now League One, but we played some really good stuff at times in our first season back in the Championship.