PDA

View Full Version : Is Rugby The Best Sport To Watch.

life on mars
03-02-23, 12:52
As a drinker and regular number 1 toilet visitor is it worth switching codes to match ones habits and behaviours its known they play for an average 34 minutes where men run up and down a field within a 80 minute game , the rest of the time is yours , whilst the wugger fellas walk on and off the field, stand around talking and drinking , lying down hurt , watching replays on a big screen.

And referees are close to checking every try scored via another off pitch team , which takes huge pressure of them for making tough decesion.

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 12:58
Just listening to radio 5 with Adrian Chiles

Another load of crap about the whole nation stopping every time a rugby game is on , the reporter from radio Wales piping up with more of the same we are obsessed with rugby crap

I have watched some of the Welsh regions on tv this winter

Hardly any fans there

TWGL1
03-02-23, 13:04
Just listening to radio 5 with Adrian Chiles

Another load of crap about the whole nation stopping every time a rugby game is on , the reporter from radio Wales piping up with more of the same we are obsessed with rugby crap

I have watched some of the Welsh regions on tv this winter

Hardly any fans there

Regional rugby is poorly supported because of disastrous carve up by the WRU I thought , otherwise you would have teams like Neath ,Bridgend and Pontypridd regularly attracting 5 figure attendances.

International Rugby is very well supported.

blue lewj
03-02-23, 13:21
Football is comfortably the most watched sport at the top levels in Wales and by some margin.

I watch both football and rugby (of both codes) and outside of internationals, and I think the FAW have closed the gap a fair bit, rugby is a fair way behind football.
Imagine City, the Jacks, Wrexham and Newport County playing in the top league of their sport and in Europe and the crowds they'd get in comparison.

Football is also played more in Wales with participation numbers in rugby suffering a lot especially in recent years.

They'll have some slow motion clips with some poetic voice over this weekend on the BBC along with some old player talking of the 'occasion' and a load of people there because "it's the rugby innit" with a high percentage not knowing the basic rules. People watching will believe the myth that Wales comes to a standstill when Wales play.
Truth is Wales, in large part, goes on the pi$$ when they play and a lot of those people are not all that sure what they're watching.

Having said that I'll be watching where I can as I enjoy the rugby played. Now where's my sparkly cowboy hat and scrum and get me t shirt. I don't hate it any more than I would if some once a year people turned up for a month pretending they were dyed in the wool football fans.

NYCBlue
03-02-23, 13:22
No.

Taffy Blue in Berkshire
03-02-23, 13:29
no, beach volleyball!

The Bloop
03-02-23, 13:46
It's too stop-start these days to be an exceptional spectator sport.
The best thing about it is the acceptance of refereeing decisions by the players.

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 14:11
Regional rugby is poorly supported because of disastrous carve up by the WRU I thought , otherwise you would have teams like Neath ,Bridgend and Pontypridd regularly attracting 5 figure attendances.

No not Bridgend and probably not the other two

In the old days when the crowds were just paying boot money the crowds were OK

But these days rugby fans have to pay higher prices , as football fans have always done

The days of 10000 crowds even at Cardiff are very rare

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 14:12
It's too stop-start these days to be an exceptional spectator sport.
The best thing about it is the acceptance of refereeing decisions by the players.

The respect for the ref is a lesson for football and one that will never be taught

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 14:13
no, beach volleyball!

Naked beach volleyball

I am the umpire

Moodybluebird
03-02-23, 14:19
I've long been of the opinion that Rugby Union played at international level is far more exciting to watch than its football equivalent. Even some of the cup games played by the regional teams of late have been a good watch.

Yes, the Wales v Belgium Q/F bucked the trend as have some of the qualifying games involving Wales. And yes the WC Final was brilliant too. But maybe because 80% of football shown on TV is uninspiring at best, when a quality RU international is aired, you really do appreciate how uplifting a sport it can be. My opinion of course and I know it's unlikely to be shared by many on here !

Joe Gillis
03-02-23, 14:20
Is Rugby The Best Sport To Watch?
No, it isn't

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 14:25
I find the six nations rugby bores such tedious company

People who go to one or two internationals a season or worse talk about " the game " in the supermarket or in the street or barbers and show horror when you tell them you are watching or listening to the cardiff city game

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 14:28
I prefer watching rugby over football, most Premier League games bore the pants off me. I watch City because, well once you have the bug it never leaves you.

Can’t wait for the Six Nations to kick off

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-23, 14:33

Taken from Walesonline, here are the attendances of the club sides in 2002, the season before the regions was brought in.

Harry Paget Flashman
03-02-23, 14:45

No chance they'd get regular attendances of 10k.

superfeathers
03-02-23, 14:49
Taken from Walesonline, here are the attendances of the club sides in 2002, the season before the regions was brought in.

I like watching the internationals, and really enjoy the six nations.
Welsh football has definitely closed the gap in recent years. I wonder if Wales rugby will still attract the same crowds in 20-30 years. I'm not sure it has the same appeal to younger generations.
The ticket prices don't help. I've still never taken my kids to a game, it's either take them to a nothing game in the autumn or don't go.
I wish they would drop all the max boyce rubbish and bring the game into this century off the pitch.

Harry Paget Flashman
03-02-23, 14:54

Sardis Rd, The Gnoll and the Brewery Field all have capacities of less than 10k too.

TWGL1
03-02-23, 15:07

Wow they are pretty poor , must be rose tinted glasses from a bygone era

Moodybluebird
03-02-23, 15:08
I prefer watching rugby over football, most Premier League games bore the pants off me. I watch City because, well once you have the bug it never leaves you.

Can’t wait for the Six Nations to kick off

I'm with you on this one mate, can't wait for the Six Nations to start even though my expectations are low.

It's only hope over expectation that keeps my interest in the City alive (since 1964) and that is dwindling fast. As for the Premier League, I can take it or leave it.

Dave Blue
03-02-23, 15:11
Modern rugby is a big bore. Even worse at the ground unless you take up the £150 seats, even then you can barely see what’s happening

Wash DC Blue
03-02-23, 15:22
I don't understand the rules anymore.

I probably will go out to watch it tomorrow morning...but just to meet up with a bunch of ex-pat/immigrants :)

Going to have to take my Firestick with me to see if I can get City v Hull on one of the pub TVs

JamesWales
03-02-23, 15:47
I love a good game of rugby. It would benefit from a tweaking and removal of some rules but it's a great sport. The average game of rugby is possibly more enjoyable than the average game of football for me

MacAdder
03-02-23, 16:02
Yes.... if you are a New Zealander

MacAdder
03-02-23, 16:12
I find the six nations rugby bores such tedious company

People who go to one or two internationals a season or worse talk about " the game " in the supermarket or in the street or barbers and show horror when you tell them you are watching or listening to the cardiff city game

Completely.
I dont mind watching the 6 nations games (Welsh ones) at all.
I "support" Wales in any sport but the general hype around the game of rugby at this time of year can be annoying.
I can take so much rugby talk about the halcyon days of the 70's and Gareth's try the best ever scored and general rugby bands from current and former players before either taking myself away from the situ or stay throwing casual counter views depending on the company and how large they are.

Majorblue
03-02-23, 16:25
Rugby I can enjoy but the media hype and over expectation of the followers in Wales is awful.

Tomorrow I will be Irish for 80 minutes.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
03-02-23, 17:22
What rugby has is the wresting and grappling and charging into each other, so that even when there's a lull you can watch that and think there's something happening. If you're into that kind of thing.

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 17:25
Rugby I can enjoy but the media hype and over expectation of the followers in Wales is awful.

Tomorrow I will be Irish for 80 minutes.

If you’re Welsh that’s embarrassing

the other bob wilson
03-02-23, 17:29
Been going through a watching the Welsh team of the seventies on You Tube phase this week and it’s like watching a different game. Yes, the modern day game is better in some ways, but not in ones that makes rugby more attractive - it’s just more efficient.

the other bob wilson
03-02-23, 17:30

He’s not, English I’m afraid - alright Major :thumbup:

Majorblue
03-02-23, 17:53
Evening Bob

You have blown my cover now :hehe:

Majorblue
03-02-23, 18:04
Evening Bob

You have blown my cover now :hehe:

splott parker
03-02-23, 18:06
Due to Delilah being chalked off the playlist, I’ve learnt all the words to ‘Yoggi, Yoggi, Yoggi, Oi, Oi, Oi’. Took a while but I’ve nailed it:thumbup:

Moodybluebird
03-02-23, 18:09
Been going through a watching the Welsh team of the seventies on You Tube phase this week and it’s like watching a different game. Yes, the modern day game is better in some ways, but not in ones that makes rugby more attractive - it’s just more efficient.

Seems to be more competitive nowadays with most teams able to beat each other on a good day. Preferred watching Wales in our pomp when at times we were almost unbeatable. Made even better because Gerald Davies was my schoolteacher in Llanrumney High.

tforturton
03-02-23, 18:10
To answer the original question - No, it's not. Not by a long chalk. The game used fairly exciting, back before they stifled all the fun out of it.

TWGL1
03-02-23, 18:14

Most if my City supporting mob love it when Wales rugby lose , I even think City fans have sung “you can stick your fking Rugby up your ass” at away matches.

the other bob wilson
03-02-23, 18:20
Seems to be more competitive nowadays with most teams able to beat each other on a good day. Preferred watching Wales in our pomp when at times we were almost unbeatable. Made even better because Gerald Davies was my schoolteacher in Llanrumney High.

Gareth Edwards runs him close, but I think Gerald Davies was my favourite player of that era.

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 18:29
Most if my City supporting mob love it when Wales rugby lose , I even think City fans have sung “you can stick your fking Rugby up your ass” at away matches.

They certainly have

Wether people like it or not football was snubbed for many years in South Wales

The PE teachers we had actively discouraged football and the rugby teams got all the resources

In primary school our sports lessons were rugby , rugby and rugby

We were taken for football by the school priest ff sake

It's no wonder that some football fans locally couldn't care less about rugby and laugh when Wales lose

That is of course churlish but when you get this nonsense on top of all the media crap then I bet some on here cheer on the opposition , if they can be bothered to watch the game in the first place

BBC Wales may not like this but most people have got other things to do

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 18:31

Did he encourage all sports ?

As a back and a decent guy I would imagine he did

Sadly the experience of a lot of youngsters with regard to schools games teachers is that they simply were not interested in football . And that explains the anti rugby feeling among some football fans .

TWGL1
03-02-23, 18:44
They certainly have

The PE teachers we had actively discouraged football and the rugby teams got all the resources

It's no wonder that some football fans locally couldn't care less about rugby and laugh when Wales lose

That is of course churlish but when you get this nonsense on top of all the media crap then I bet some on here cheer on the opposition , if they can be bothered to watch the game in the first place

Spot on there Sludgeville

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 18:49
Six nations sin bin ?

It's 2023

Wtf is that doing on the TV, masquerading as comedy and entertainment?

It's embarrassing

Gabby Logan can piss off

Moodybluebird
03-02-23, 18:56

Sadly the experience of a lot of youngsters with regard to schools games teachers is that they simply were not interested in football . And that explains the anti rugby feeling among some football fans .

Strangely enough he wasn't the Games or PE teacher. I know he was our form master at one stage but I can't remember which other subjects he taught. Like most schools at the time, ours was predominantly rugby playing but we had a football team also and Gerald Davies unsurprisingly was good at that too. Basically he was an all round sportsman who excelled at everything.

Cleve van Leef
03-02-23, 19:04
International rugby in the 70’s was definitely far better to watch than international or club football. Over time it is just brute force and no flair.

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 19:16
Strangely enough he wasn't the Games or PE teacher. I know he was our form master at one stage but I can't remember which other subjects he taught. Like most schools at the time, ours was predominantly rugby playing but we had a football team also and Gerald Davies unsurprisingly was good at that too. Basically he was an all round sportsman who excelled at everything.

A lot of backs can play both rugby and football

And cricket too !

Bastards

The thick forwards are the ones to avoid

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 19:16
International rugby in the 70’s was definitely far better to watch than international or club football. Over time it is just brute force and no flair.

The size of these players these days is crazy

Whisperer
03-02-23, 19:26
Under 20s tonight is a brilliant game so far, welsh off loading is delightful.

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 19:31

I get why people may dislike the shite that comes along with it and understand the history. To want your country to lose at any sport is embarrassing in my opinion. I can empathise with the other point of view though.

splott parker
03-02-23, 19:37
They certainly have

Shove something down someone’s throat (ooooer, missus), especially youngsters and they’ll most probably rebel. Rugby was forced on us in Lady Mary while every break time numerous football matches were being played in the yard. It certainly aided my indifference to the oval ball.

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-23, 20:50

Saturday 10 November, 2001. Wales vs Argentina at the Millennium Stadium - k.o 2pm. Cardiff City vs Chesterfield at Ninian Park - k.o 3pm.

I remember being at that City game. Wales lost 30-16 and Ali announced the result to the crowd to huge cheers. I remember that rugby chant being sang occasionally at home games but I don't think it lasted much longer than early 2002 at home.

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-23, 20:52
The thick forwards are the ones to avoid

Given your love for a midfield battler who has more heart than ability, I would have thought the "thick forwards" (as you call them) would be just your thing!

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 21:04
Given your love for a midfield battler who has more heart than ability, I would have thought the "thick forwards" (as you call them) would be just your thing!

Probably wants Alan Wyn up front.

The Bloop
03-02-23, 21:14
Six nations sin bin ?

It's 2023

Wtf is that doing on the TV, masquerading as comedy and entertainment?

It's embarrassing

Gabby Logan can piss off

It was awful this evening.
Gabby Logan was OK but Adrian Chiles and Josh Navidi looked a bit uncomfortable. Jade Jones kicking Gareth Thomas was excellent though.

John Buchanan
03-02-23, 21:14

I went to a South Wales comp and during my time there we had a grand total of 1 football PE session, presumably to tick a box. Apart from that it was rugby every time. The PE teachers, failed rugby players, were bullies in the truest sense of the word. Bastards one and all. Not that I am bitter.....

John Buchanan
03-02-23, 21:16
It was a far better game to watch when there were 8 fat guys and 7 skinny guys in a team.

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:06
It was awful this evening.
Gabby Logan was OK but Adrian Chiles and Josh Navidi looked a bit uncomfortable. Jade Jones kicking Gareth Thomas was excellent though.

It's utter crap

Adrian Chiles thinks we are all idiots and all love the crap we get served

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:08
I went to a South Wales comp and during my time there we had a grand total of 1 football PE session, presumably to tick a box. Apart from that it was rugby every time. The PE teachers, failed rugby players, were bullies in the truest sense of the word. Bastards one and all. Not that I am bitter.....

I think that sums up the situation

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:08
Probably wants Alan Wyn up front.

Who is he ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:09
Saturday 10 November, 2001. Wales vs Argentina at the Millennium Stadium - k.o 2pm. Cardiff City vs Chesterfield at Ninian Park - k.o 3pm.

I remember being at that City game. Wales lost 30-16 and Ali announced the result to the crowd to huge cheers. I remember that rugby chant being sang occasionally at home games but I don't think it lasted much longer than early 2002 at home.

I have heard it at quite a few away games and several home games since then

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:10

Are you a egg chaser ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:15
I get why people may dislike the shite that comes along with it and understand the history. To want your country to lose at any sport is embarrassing in my opinion. I can empathise with the other point of view though.

Well I can think of worse things

Patriotism is mostly bollocks and if Welsh rugby players on social media go on and on about Liverpool or Man United then some people are going to think bollocks to them and their team

I don't adhere to this support anything Welsh thing

I support Cardiff City , the Welsh football team , like glamorgan to do well but it doesn't bother me at all if Wales lose in rugby . I don't mind watching rugby but that's it . Its not even on the radar .

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-23, 22:18
Are you a egg chaser ?

No, I is not a egg chaser.

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-23, 22:20

Patriotism is mostly bollocks and if Welsh rugby players on social media go on and on about Liverpool or Man United then some people are going to think bollocks to them and their team

I support Cardiff City , the Welsh football team , like glamorgan to do well but it doesn't bother me at all if Wales lose in rugby . I don't mind watching rugby but that's it . Its not even on the radar .

I'm glad kick off in the egg is 2.15. Means I can go out about 2pm to do some shopping at a relatively quiet time before listening to the City.

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 22:24
Who is he ?

City’s new striker, not seen in the shirt or country yet though

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 22:25

Come on Sludge, get your daffodil hat out

UNDERHILL1927
03-02-23, 22:27
I used to be exactly the same as you to be honest Sludge. Hated the rugby and all the bollox that comes with it but as I get older life’s too short to hate.

I embrace it nowadays

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:27

😂

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:30
I used to be exactly the same as you to be honest Sludge. Hated the rugby and all the bollox that comes with it but as I get older life’s too short to hate.

I embrace it nowadays

I will always hate all the crap

As for the game I might catch half an hour before listening to the Bluebirds

I have to keep away from the pubs etc on international day , it's all bullshit

SLUDGE FACTORY
03-02-23, 22:31
No, I is not a egg chaser.

Good

Eric the Half a Bee
03-02-23, 22:43

I think, for me, that sums up part of my dislike for rugby, the notion that rugby defines the country, is a part of Welshness. I genuinely believe that international rugby is only as popular as it is because it's a day on the piss, it's a rare chance of beating England at something, and by supporting rugby, you're a true Welshman. I've lost count of the number of times I've been told I'm not a proper Welshman because I'm not interested in rugby.

Wales is defined elsewhere by rugby. In history, rugby became popular because we were good at giving the public school boys in England a beating. The English media told us we were a rugby nation, so we became it. The English media said we were the land of song and a choir singing nation. We became it.

Anything on those stupid lists of "10 things every Welsh person loves" is liable for me to dislike. I don't have to prove my Welshness to anyone. I've spent over 25 years in the male voice choir world and to hear the same old crap being sung for decades grates on me.

The moment I get told that I need to do something to prove I'm Welsh is the moment it has my back. How often do BBC Wales start promoting a 6 nations by saying everyone gets behind it? They don't. Go to North Wales. They couldn't care less. Are they not Welsh?

I'm used to suffering Cardiff City week in, week out. Every 6 nations time we have hundreds of thousands of rugby experts giving their opinion, even though most of them aren't interested in the sport the rest of the time.

I have no problems with those who love rugby and support their clubs/regions. Great that they support local sides. Those who couldn't give a shit but then profess their undying love for the sport when the red shirts are worn - feck off.

Moodybluebird
03-02-23, 23:55
I think, for me, that sums up part of my dislike for rugby, the notion that rugby defines the country, is a part of Welshness. I genuinely believe that international rugby is only as popular as it is because it's a day on the piss, it's a rare chance of beating England at something, and by supporting rugby, you're a true Welshman. I've lost count of the number of times I've been told I'm not a proper Welshman because I'm not interested in rugby.

Wales is defined elsewhere by rugby. In history, rugby became popular because we were good at giving the public school boys in England a beating. The English media told us we were a rugby nation, so we became it. The English media said we were the land of song and a choir singing nation. We became it.

Anything on those stupid lists of "10 things every Welsh person loves" is liable for me to dislike. I don't have to prove my Welshness to anyone. I've spent over 25 years in the male voice choir world and to hear the same old crap being sung for decades grates on me.

The moment I get told that I need to do something to prove I'm Welsh is the moment it has my back. How often do BBC Wales start promoting a 6 nations by saying everyone gets behind it? They don't. Go to North Wales. They couldn't care less. Are they not Welsh?

I'm used to suffering Cardiff City week in, week out. Every 6 nations time we have hundreds of thousands of rugby experts giving their opinion, even though most of them aren't interested in the sport the rest of the time.

I have no problems with those who love rugby and support their clubs/regions. Great that they support local sides. Those who couldn't give a shit but then profess their undying love for the sport when the red shirts are worn - feck off.

I think you're going way too deep into the Rugby/Welshness thing Eric. The bottom line for many including myself is that rugby at the top level is an exciting sport and and a great spectacle to watch, especially if Wales are doing well. All this Land of Song, Bards, Daffodils, Hymns & Arias is just window dressing to set the scene. Nothing more nothing less.

blue lewj
04-02-23, 12:34
Be interesting to see what direction Gatland takes the team in.

We haven't got the players for 'Gatland ball' and can't see anything but an Ireland victory today but I'm a lot more optimistic under Gatland than I was Pivac. He looked a man who was lost at times.

splott parker
04-02-23, 13:23

Very true, I call them the reversible shirt brigade. Wales play England at rugby and they’re spitting venom by the very word ‘England’. Wales play the other nations and they still play the ‘As long as we beat the English’ card. Yet, next day they turn the red shirt inside out and there’s a Liverpool or Man Utd badge on it. Weird!

blue lewj
04-02-23, 13:25
Very true, I call them the reversible shirt brigade. Wales play England at rugby and they’re spitting venom by the very word ‘England’. Wales play the other nations and they still play the ‘As long as we beat the English’ card. Yet, next day they turn the red shirt inside out and there’s a Liverpool or Man Utd badge on it. Weird!

Summed up by the song 'As Long As We Beat The English' by Kelly Jones the Leeds United fan.

SLUDGE FACTORY
04-02-23, 13:33

Bryn Terfel , Mike Peters from The Alarm who sings about a brave new Wales whilst supporting man United......what utter nonsense .....Jonathan jiffy Davies .....man United......Iuean Evans .....Liverpool....Dafydd Ellis Thomas ....welsh nationalist ......man United

Absolute bunch of jokers

Cymru Am Byth ?

Total bollocks

SLUDGE FACTORY
04-02-23, 13:35
Summed up by the song 'As Long As We Beat The English' by Kelly Jones the Leeds United fan.

Manic Street Preachers ......Liverpool, Spurs fans .....but Welsh dragon flags hung over their amps

Fake nonsense

UNDERHILL1927
04-02-23, 13:51
Yeah the fakes really wind me up but I try to ignore all that extra curricular bollox, watch the match and support my country