PDA

View Full Version : Robinson out, O'Dowda ok

Undercoverinwurzelland
23-02-23, 10:27
Robinson out until after the international break https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-hammer-blow-top-26309186

Carl Dale's Mole
23-02-23, 10:37
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkk

Pedro de la Rosa
23-02-23, 10:37
Relieved about O’Dowda but bit of a blow re Robinson. Ojo at 10, perhaps? Suspect we will play 3 CMs vs Norwich anyway

North Cardiff Blue
23-02-23, 10:41
Robinson out until after the international break https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-hammer-blow-top-26309186

the international break

What another one!

Robin Friday's Ghost
23-02-23, 10:42
Relieved about O’Dowda but bit of a blow re Robinson. Ojo at 10, perhaps? Suspect we will play 3 CMs vs Norwich anyway
I think it's almost certain he will bring Ojo in as a replacement and try and keep as similar a formation as position.

North Cardiff Blue
23-02-23, 10:47

Five games that is a real blow, we are up against Rotherham, WBA and Preston who are in poor form, so need to try and target some wins, that's life let's hope someone can step up. Maybe Wickham will come in, or Ojo or Davies coming in, and just a tweak?

the other bob wilson
23-02-23, 11:00
No surprise really, it seemed pretty obvious watching it. Got to say Ojo, even an Ojo playing a bit better lately, is no replacement for Robinson. I can see Rinomhotta replacing him for away games and Id like to see us find a way of including Romeo, O'Dowda and Philogene in home games (maybe use Philogene more centrally?).

MacAdder
23-02-23, 11:02
Not good news at all.

As has been said though by Lamouchie the system we play should see more chances created and, even though our strikers have been goal shy, goals should follow.

North Cardiff Blue
23-02-23, 11:15
At least he cant take the penalties.

BLUETIT
23-02-23, 11:35

As they say “every cloud”

BlueArmy 86
23-02-23, 11:50
Thats our best player out. Hopefullyt Philogene steps up now, or Ojo.

MacAdder
23-02-23, 11:56

True :hehe:

jon1959
23-02-23, 14:15
No surprise really, it seemed pretty obvious watching it. Got to say Ojo, even an Ojo playing a bit better lately, is no replacement for Robinson. I can see Rinomhotta replacing him for away games and Id like to see us find a way of including Romeo, O'Dowda and Philogene in home games (maybe use Philogene more centrally?).

The way Robinson was at the end of the Reading game - he could hardly move - I think a five game absence is the best we could expect. Lamouchi said at the time the coaching staff thought it might be cramp - good to see the mood of optimism is everywhere!

WOL have done a 'four options for replacing Robinson' piece:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/four-ways-sabri-lamouchis-can-26309818

I agree that Ralls or Rinomhota is most likely (to start with) but I would prefer to see Ojo in the Robinson role - or even O'Dowda with Ojo kept at left wing back. Wickham, Harris or Davies as second half change options.

I can't see Colwill featuring based on his cameos or u21 performances. Lamouchi needs to work his magic. Colwill should be the missing piece, but he's not.

Trigger
23-02-23, 14:29
Easily our best forward player in a goal shy team. Potentially massive, but that's what happens when going forward we are so light. Just hope Lamouchi can get the most out of the likes of Philogene and Ojo.

Pre Birmingham this would have been a few more nails in the coffin.

the other bob wilson
23-02-23, 14:33
The way Robinson was at the end of the Reading game - he could hardly move - I think a five game absence is the best we could expect. Lamouchi said at the time the coaching staff thought it might be cramp - good to see the mood of optimism is everywhere!

WOL have done a 'four options for replacing Robinson' piece:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/four-ways-sabri-lamouchis-can-26309818

I agree that Ralls or Rinomhota is most likely (to start with) but I would prefer to see Ojo in the Robinson role - or even O'Dowda with Ojo kept at left wing back. Wickham, Harris or Davies as second half change options.

I can't see Colwill featuring based on his cameos or u21 performances. Lamouchi needs to work his magic. Colwill should be the missing piece, but he's not.

I mentioned elsewhere, I don’t think Ojo is the answer. This situation should be just right for Colwill to step in, but, judging by what we saw of him on Tuesday, and when he came on at Luton, his confidence is on the floor at the moment - he might just scrape into the squad for Saturday, but I’d go with Harris or Davies in front of him.

I find the situation with Colwill this season very frustrating and disappointing. It’s clear he has gone backwards as a first team contender compared to last year and I hope serious questions are being asked at the club as to why that should be. I still believe the club have handled him very poorly - at the very least, they’ve not handled the explanation as to why, more than six months after the season started, his playing time is still being limited even at under 21 level well enough.

Trigger
23-02-23, 14:50
I mentioned elsewhere, I don’t think Ojo is the answer. This situation should be just right for Colwill to step in, but, judging by what we saw of him on Tuesday, and when he came on at Luton, his confidence is on the floor at the moment - he might just scrape into the squad for Saturday, but I’d go with Harris or Davies in front of him.

I find the situation with Colwill this season very frustrating and disappointing. It’s clear he has gone backwards as a first team contender compared to last year and I hope serious questions are being asked at the club as to why that should be. I still believe the club have handled him very poorly - at the very least, they’ve not handled the explanation as to why, more than six months after the season started, his playing time is still being limited even at under 21 level well enough.

In the limited I've seen of him he just constantly looks a yard off it.

We've now had 3 managers this season and none have believed he was worthy of starting.

Lamouchi especially coming in fresh from outside the club would have given everyone an equal opportunity surely.

Ultimately he probably hasn't been good enough/done enough/fit enough. Not sure how much is down to the club managing him poorly when you consider how poor we have been going forward. Even an average championship attacking player would be a nailed on starter for us.

I'm not saying he hasn't the potential as really I've not seen enough of him at this level, but at the moment 3 managers this season have decided against using him.

Feels like the injury over pre season has effected him massively.

The Lone Gunman
23-02-23, 15:11
In the limited I've seen of him he just constantly looks a yard off it.

We've now had 3 managers this season and none have believed he was worthy of starting.

Lamouchi especially coming in fresh from outside the club would have given everyone an equal opportunity surely.

Unfortunately, Colwill hasn’t done a thing this season to suggest he deserves a place in the starting line-up, or even a place on the bench at the moment.

Lamouchi brought him on with a quarter of an hour to go at Luton and he looked lost. The manager obviously saw enough as Colwill hasn’t even made the bench since.

It’s a shame he’s been so ineffective in what was supposed the season in which he established himself as a first team starter. He’s 21 in April, so time is on his side, but maybe he’s just not as good as some people believed he’d be.

WJ99mobile
23-02-23, 15:15

Come on now. Watching Tuesday doesn't even seem a confidence thing.

His fitness was crap and his decision making is getting worse.

I don't like slating players especially youth coming through but we've had way too many fans calling for the managers head for not including Colwill and I can see why.

North Cardiff Blue
23-02-23, 15:20
It's not the end of the World, it was only a few days ago we were generally saying that we had four decent strikers now with Davies and Harris as backup, now it's up to them to step up, Kaba is overdue a goal as is Etete!

We also have good cover in midfield, it's a blow but all teams have players out, and I trust Sabri to find the solution!

Norwich have their best two Strikers out too and have had an extra game midweek.

the other bob wilson
23-02-23, 15:33
Unfortunately, Colwill hasn’t done a thing this season to suggest he deserves a place in the starting line-up, or even a place on the bench at the moment.

Lamouchi brought him on with a quarter of an hour to go at Luton and he looked lost. The manager obviously saw enough as Colwill hasn’t even made the bench since.

It’s a shame he’s been so ineffective in what was supposed the season in which he established himself as a first team starter. He’s 21 in April, so time is on his side, but maybe he’s just not as good as some people believed he’d be.

But he’s shown that he’s better than what we’ve seen this season. Completely different players obviously and I’m not suggesting for one second that Colwill will ever be able to be compared seriously with Gareth Bale in the years ahead, but I am reminded of that time when Bale went twenty odd games was it before Spurs won a match he started in.

I can remember Wales beating Scotland 3-0 at Cardiff City Stadium during that run Bale had and he was nothing like the player we came to know in that game, he wasn’t terrible, but he was one of the quieter Welsh players on a day when everyone was talking about Aaron Ramsey. On the evidence of that day, if you had to pick the Wales player who would become record scorer, win league titles and Champions Leagues galore you would not have picked Bale.

Might it be that Colwill is in a similar position to what Bale was then, albeit at a lower level? I think his contract with us is up at the end of next season and you have to say that he cannot afford another campaign like this one is turning out to be - the notion that he could be released by City at the end of his contract would have been thought inconceivable this time last year.

the other bob wilson
23-02-23, 15:41
Come on now. Watching Tuesday doesn't even seem a confidence thing.

His fitness was crap and his decision making is getting worse.

I don't like slating players especially youth coming through but we've had way too many fans calling for the managers head for not including Colwill and I can see why.

It was all about confidence, just like the first team’s lack of goals has been all about confidence, not that the players are crap and incapable of doing the things they should be doing. When you’re lacking confidence, you don’t make those gambles about the ball breaking your way, you continually take the safe option, in fact you don’t want the ball full stop.

jon1959
23-02-23, 16:16
It was all about confidence, just like the first team’s lack of goals has been all about confidence, not that the players are crap and incapable of doing the things they should be doing. When you’re lacking confidence, you don’t make those gambles about the ball breaking your way, you continually take the safe option, in fact you don’t want the ball full stop.

I get the feeling that Lamouchi is a good manager for building players' confidence - individually and collectively. I like him. He is honest, talks straight (in a second language!), has built a clearly close relationship with a lot of the squad already, and is a coach as well as a manager.

I have much more confidence that he can overcome low confidence than he can deal with surprise growth spurts!

life on mars
23-02-23, 16:22
I like Robinson he has a rare ability in this league awareness and intelligence, finds space, spots the channels to run into .

Perhaps a rest may help us in the final furlong ??

WJ99mobile
23-02-23, 16:24

But he was playing fancy lofted passes that just couldn't find their man

I know what you're saying you only have to look at the resergence of Rashford for Man Utd, but I've yet to see Colwill do anything of note.

He'll hit a beautiful pass one game, but the other 9/10 times they don't go where intending or just gets dispossessed in poor areas.

Flatters to decieve and just don't think he has it

Robin Friday's Ghost
23-02-23, 16:44
I like Robinson he has a rare ability in this league awareness and intelligence, finds space, spots the channels to run into .

You're assuming he'll be available later in the season. That's far from being a given.

jon1959
23-02-23, 16:49

I don't think a Grade 2 hamstring tear will do anything to help 'in the final furlong'. That doesn't count as 'a rest'.

Bobby Dandruff
23-02-23, 17:02

Bring Watters back from his loan.

No, wait...... :yikes:

the other bob wilson
23-02-23, 17:30
I get the feeling that Lamouchi is a good manager for building players' confidence - individually and collectively. I like him. He is honest, talks straight (in a second language!), has built a clearly close relationship with a lot of the squad already, and is a coach as well as a manager.

I have much more confidence that he can overcome low confidence than he can deal with surprise growth spurts!

Yes, I think you’re right. The celebration of both goals at Birmingham certainly looked like that of a squad that didn’t have the sort of cliques you associate with sides that are struggling at the bottom of the league. Of course, it’s easier to provide shows of squad unity when you’re on your way to an overdue win, but I don’t believe spirit has ever been that big a problem with this squad, it’s been confidence first and foremost.

We looked a confident team on Friday, the Birmingham win helped of course, but you’ve got to credit Lamouchi for much of this. It was a bold selection, backed up by bolder substitutions, and one which showed he had confidence in the players. I’d like to think that he will be working on the confidence of those out of the starting eleven in training as well and, on the early evidence, he looks like he is better equipped at instilling a bit of belief in players than previous managers.

Bald Barry Bastad
23-02-23, 18:02
Davies is better but doesn't look like the new manager fancies him

NYCBlue
24-02-23, 13:06

Bad news about Robinson, but I think O'Dowda is the more important player. Without him, it's much harder to get the ball forward.

Sunnysideup
24-02-23, 13:10
I agree O’Dowda would have been a bigger loss
Perhaps a chance for Gavin Whyte
He scored a good goal in the u23’s last week ⚽️

The Lone Gunman
24-02-23, 13:12
Bad news about Robinson, but I think O'Dowda is the more important player. Without him, it's much harder to get the ball forward.

I understand what you’re saying, but Robinson is top of City’s goals and assists charts, and has twice as many goals and assists as O’Dowda. I think he’s a bigger miss by far.

Sunnysideup
24-02-23, 13:26
I can understand the argument for either player but Robinson has let us down badly costing us valuable points- the petulant Red card against the Jacks and not converting any of his pelanty chances 🤔
You could also argue that his goals have given us points to which we’re grateful but in football it’s all about luck, taking the opportunity granted at the expense of the teammate in your position out through injury
Gavin Whyte for me
Give the kid some game time

The Lone Gunman
24-02-23, 13:58
I can understand the argument for either player but Robinson has let us down badly costing us valuable points- the petulant Red card against the Jacks and not converting any of his pelanty chances

Robinson’s last assist was on 11/02. O’Dowda’s was way back on 08/10. Interestingly, Romeo has as many assists this season as O’Dowda (3).

I’m not saying O’Dowda isn’t important. He obviously is. But I do think his importance gets overstated at times.

Sunnysideup
24-02-23, 14:03
Simpson or O’Dowda?

City123
24-02-23, 14:09
Robinson’s last assist was on 11/02. O’Dowda’s was way back on 08/10. Interestingly, Romeo has as many assists this season as O’Dowda (3).

I’m not saying O’Dowda isn’t important. He obviously is. But I do think his importance gets overstated at times.
I've made the point a few times that the way O'Dowda is lauded is very telling of how the season's gone and how good/poor the squad is. He's an average to decent Championship player and has been for much of his career, but our fans go on as if he's a top player at this level which he really isn't

2b2bdoo
24-02-23, 15:41

Interesting stat, I suppose the issue is it’s him, Simpson or Bagan at left back.

The Lone Gunman
24-02-23, 17:06
Interesting stat, I suppose the issue is it’s him, Simpson or Bagan at left back.

Maybe, but I don’t think O’Dowda should play at left-back anyway. Left wing-back at a push, but not left-back.

SLUDGE FACTORY
24-02-23, 17:26
Robinson won't feature again this season if its a hamstring tear

It's March now , or will be very soon

jon1959
24-02-23, 17:41
Robinson won't feature again this season if its a hamstring tear

It's March now , or will be very soon

A grade 2 hamstring is (according to the interweb) 3 to 8 weeks out. If he's at the lower end of that range and has the opportunity to get back in the building, out on the grass and through his protocols..... (sorry, just had a flashback there....) he could be back for the last month of the season. If it's at the upper end of the range your prediction will be right.

SLUDGE FACTORY
24-02-23, 18:01
A grade 2 hamstring is (according to the interweb) 3 to 8 weeks out. If he's at the lower end of that range and has the opportunity to get back in the building, out on the grass and through his protocols..... (sorry, just had a flashback there....) he could be back for the last month of the season. If it's at the upper end of the range your prediction will be right.

It's CCFC

8 weeks

City123
24-02-23, 19:16
If he's back immediately after the international break wouldn't his first game be Swansea?

I can't see that ending badly...

2b2bdoo
24-02-23, 19:21
Maybe, but I don’t think O’Dowda should play at left-back anyway. Left wing-back at a push, but not left-back.

Maybe not but needs must I think he’s a lot better than the other two.