View Full Version : Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Pages : [1] 2

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 16:45
Talk about misplaced priorities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

79blue
10-03-23, 16:48
How pathetic of the BBC to kowtow to the right wing nut jobs by forcing Lineker to step down from MOTD until a new social media policy is agreed.

They have also refused to air on national TV the last episode of the new Attenborough series because the don’t want to upset the Tories due to it containing information about the destruction of the environment. They will only show it on iPlayer.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

Doucas
10-03-23, 17:04
Weird how the BBC didn't care when Linekar said 'bin Coybyn'.

Or how about the time they photoshopped Corbyn in a Russian hat (despite the person he was running against actually taking donations from Russia).

Or how about Laura Kuenssberg's blatant bias towards our current government.

Swiss Peter
10-03-23, 17:06
Talk about misplaced priorities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Rumour has it that Gary Neville will replace him :hehe:

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-03-23, 17:09
How pathetic of the BBC to kowtow to the right wing nut jobs by forcing Lineker to step down from MOTD until a new social media policy is agreed.

They have also refused to air on national TV the last episode of the new Attenborough series because the don’t want to upset the Tories due to it containing information about the destruction of the environment. They will only show it on iPlayer.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears
Control of the media. Not at all reminiscent of authoritarian regimes, such as the one in Germany in the 1930s is it...

Elwood Blues
10-03-23, 17:11
According to the Telegraph.

The BBC feel that he has breached their guidelines.

Whether this is a football or political thread is a moot point.

I 've put it on the main message board.

Mike can decide if he wants to move it.

North Cardiff Blue
10-03-23, 17:13
According to the Telegraph.

The BBC feel that he has breached their guidelines.

Whether this is a football or political thread is a moot point.

I 've put it on the main message board.

Mike can decide if he wants to move it.

Oh what a shame, never mind he was overpaid and they were probably looking for an excuse to replace him with a woman anyway.

Hilts
10-03-23, 17:14
I think its fair enough Elwood as its Match of the Day but I can guess where this will go.🤣

North Cardiff Blue
10-03-23, 17:15

:popcorn: :hehe:

Baloo
10-03-23, 17:17
Is the BBC Chairman still making donations to the Conservative Party?

jon1959
10-03-23, 17:26
Is the BBC Chairman still making donations to the Conservative Party?

Of course, but in a totally impartial way!

Dorcus
10-03-23, 17:31

The BBC is first and foremost shit scared it'll lose it's funding so it's put expediency before principle. How sad.

No matter to Gary Lineker; he's freelance and can always get a lucrative little number elsewhere without being gagged.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 17:34
He shouldn't have said it and he shouldn't have been sacked. The BBC is in a difficult position in terms of impartiality I suppose.

Dorcus
10-03-23, 17:37
He shouldn't have said it and he shouldn't have been sacked. The BBC is in a difficult position in terms of impartiality I suppose.

More like it's shit scared of losing its funding and has decided to toe the line. I'm sure it won't bother Lineker, he can always find alternative employment.

Dave Blue
10-03-23, 17:40
So which Tory lackey will be presenting MOTD?

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 17:40

To me the ditching of the episode of the Attenborough series is shocking - I’ve always thought that the BBC broadly got it right because the left and right both accuse it of being biased, I’m not so any more after what we’ve seen this week.

bluemoon
10-03-23, 17:41
wont be long before someone else snaps him up, wrighty has said he will boycott match of the day in support of gary, and gary has not stepped back hes been taken off air after refusing to say sorry for his comments...

good on him no point saying shit of your only going to then grovel and back track on it... folks cant say shit no more

JamesWales
10-03-23, 17:41
More like it's shit scared of losing its funding and has decided to toe the line. I'm sure it won't bother Lineker, he can always find alternative employment.

Well impartiality is built into the BBC. Look what happens when they briefly did a Corbyn montage several years ago on Newsnight - people lost their shit and still mention it years later. Well, that's why the BBC needs to be impartial.

Now, I don't think he should have been sacked, but that's clearly how the BBC have interpreted it.

Hopefully the perpetually offended will spend less time calling for everyone to be sacked all the time in future..now that would be good

Dave Blue
10-03-23, 17:44
And even when they do say something, it’s deliberately misinterpreted. What he said was spot on. Tories don’t like their actual beliefs being questioned and called out.

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 17:45
Penny Mordaunt is the natural candidate to present Match of the Day surely?

Doucas
10-03-23, 17:45
To me the ditching of the episode of the Attenborough series is shocking - I’ve always thought that the BBC broadly got it right because the left and right both accuse it of being biased, I’m not so any more after what we’ve seen this week.

The difference is the right complain when facts are reported e.g. brexit being a shitshow, man made climate change being real and how vaccines are good for you.

The left doesn't.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 17:47

What Lineker said was foolish but he shouldn't be sacked. BBC has rules on it impartiality though and he's been warned and carried on. If your boss warns you on your behaviour and you carry on, there are often consequences, rightly or wrongly.

As for that guardian article, it could be complete and utter BS.

"The BBC strongly denied this was the case and insisted the episode in question was never intended for broadcast."

Aren't you just potentially spreading misinformation?

The Bloop
10-03-23, 17:50
wont be long before someone else snaps him up, wrighty has said he will boycott match of the day in support of gary, and gary has not stepped back hes been taken off air after refusing to say sorry for his comments...

good on him no point saying shit of your only going to then grovel and back track on it... folks cant say shit no more

He's a contractor not an employee and already does plenty of work outside of the BBC.
Good on him for standing by his principals.
It'll be interesting to see who steps in to present MOTD, or if any refuse to do so.

logic
10-03-23, 17:56
He's a contractor not an employee and already does plenty of work outside of the BBC.
Good on him for standing by his principals.
It'll be interesting to see who steps in to present MOTD, or if any refuse to do so.

HMRC are persuing him for £4.9m in unpaid tax due to claiming to be a contractor.

Can't see the BBC actions negating the "disguised employee" view.

Swiss Peter
10-03-23, 17:58

"....and now it's time to catch up on all of today's football action, presented tonight by a spokesperson from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport..."

Dorcus
10-03-23, 18:03
Well impartiality is built into the BBC. Look what happens when they briefly did a Corbyn montage several years ago on Newsnight - people lost their shit and still mention it years later. Well, that's why the BBC needs to be impartial.

Now, I don't think he should have been sacked, but that's clearly how the BBC have interpreted it.

Hopefully the perpetually offended will spend less time calling for everyone to be sacked all the time in future..now that would be good

This wasn't Newsnight though and Gary Lineker is not a news journalist. He's just a freelance sports presenter so should have been allowed the same freedoms as you or I in choosing to express his opinions.

All the BBC needed to do was declare that it didn't necessarily endorse Lineker's views. The corporation will lose masses of respect both over this and the David Attenborough issue.

Dave Blue
10-03-23, 18:03
"....and now it's time to catch up on all of today's football action, presented tonight by a spokesperson from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport..."

We used to mock countries like that. Now it’s on our doorstep

The Bloop
10-03-23, 18:04
HMRC are persuing him for £4.9m in unpaid tax due to claiming to be a contractor.

Can't see the BBC actions negating the "disguised employee" view.

I was going to include that in my post aswell. The BBCs contract is with Linekers company from which he get his money. HMRC are claiming he should be treated as an employee.

Elwood Blues
10-03-23, 18:04
I think its fair enough Elwood as its Match of the Day but I can guess where this will go.🤣

Another thread went up about this while I was typing mine so I guess Mike will merge them anyway

Doucas
10-03-23, 18:08
What Lineker said was foolish but he shouldn't be sacked. BBC has rules on it impartiality though and he's been warned and carried on. If your boss warns you on your behaviour and you carry on, there are often consequences, rightly or wrongly.

"The BBC strongly denied this was the case and insisted the episode in question was never intended for broadcast."

A football presenter tweeting about cruelty towards asylum seekers is not the same as a news programme portraying a politician who genuinely wanted to make things better as a communist.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 18:11
Tell em to piss off Gary , speak your mind

Ian Wright has stepped away from Saturday nights show in support of Lineker

Maybe they could present The Football League Show ?

logic
10-03-23, 18:14
I was going to include that in my post aswell. The BBCs contract is with Linekers company from which he get his money. HMRC are claiming he should be treated as an employee.

Given he's got a director in his ear, hard to argue against direction of control. Any substitution clause would be a joke too.

IanD
10-03-23, 18:16
The company being registered in one of Cayman/Panama/Jersey at a guess. Same arrangement with Fiona Bruce (for example) Never worked (directly) for the BBC.

Doucas
10-03-23, 18:17
A football presenter tweeting about cruelty towards asylum seekers is not the same as a news programme portraying a politician who genuinely wanted to make things better as a communist.

Ignore this, meant to post it in the thread on the alternative forum.

Doucas
10-03-23, 18:17

ToTaL ITK
10-03-23, 18:21
he has his walker crisps millions to fall back on.

ToTaL ITK
10-03-23, 18:23
Tell em to piss off Gary , speak your mind

Ian Wright has stepped away from Saturday nights show in support of Lineker

Maybe they could present The Football League Show ?

or a league of their own

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 18:26
The BBC I think does a pretty good job on the whole of being middle ground and impartial

I thought corbyn was an idiot but he got a battering

It's good that Lineker has spoken out and good that the Tories are on the back foot again

I am sure he won't mind being sacrificed at the altar and he can afford it

The Bloop
10-03-23, 18:33

The company being registered in one of Cayman/Panama/Jersey at a guess. Same arrangement with Fiona Bruce (for example) Never worked (directly) for the BBC.

It's a uk registered partnership he set up with his ex wife.
HMRC tried a similar claim against Lorraine Kelly. ITV contracted her company to present the Lorraine programme. Her argument was that when presenting the programme she wasn't Lorraine Kelly the person, but Lorraine Kelly the TV character. Despite LK the character being the Director of LK the company, presenting a programme called Lorraine, she won.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 18:35
Perhaps they'll find out that people just want to watch the highlights and not the tedious drivel in between.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 18:46
It's a uk registered partnership he set up with his ex wife.
HMRC tried a similar claim against Lorraine Kelly. ITV contracted her company to present the Lorraine programme. Her argument was that when presenting the programme she wasn't Lorraine Kelly the person, but Lorraine Kelly the TV character. Despite LK the character being the Director of LK the company, presenting a programme called Lorraine, she won.

This is purely to make more dollar ?

Michael Morris
10-03-23, 18:48
Another thread went up about this while I was typing mine so I guess Mike will merge them anyway

Threads merged and it's a valid thread for the main board.

Heathblue
10-03-23, 18:48
It's time for some fresh blood to spruce up the show, I think he's been a good presenter during his spell, it maybe only be temporary but IMO a makeover would be for the best.

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-03-23, 18:49
Neither Wright or Shearer appearing tomorrow now.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 18:50
Neither Wright or Shearer appearing tomorrow now.

Everyone out !

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 18:53
Shearer [not] appearing tomorrow now.

I would fire Lineker just to make this happen permanently.

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-03-23, 18:58
Who'll be the scabs who end up presenting it?

Doucas
10-03-23, 19:00

Jim Davidson.

In all seriousness it'll likely be someone who wasn't a footballer before and they'll be told to do it or be sacked, and I don't think they should be criticised too much if they do.

Baloo
10-03-23, 19:01
Nadine Dorries has a background in the sports sector.

79blue
10-03-23, 19:07

What he tweeted was not foolish, it was factually correct. His tweet stated ‘This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s’. Can you point out what was incorrect about his statement? No accusation of being Nazi’s, no reason for Braverman to feel intimidated and no threatening words. unfortunately in this day and age, the government has issue with facts

Compare this tweet to the one Alan Sugar did prior to the previous election (bearing in mind that he is a contractor for the BBC, just like Lineker).

‘I seriously back @BorisJohnson to be the new PM. The public like him and he will have a good chance of winning the election in 2021 if not before. Any one who can stop @jeremycorbyn from becoming PM has my backing.’

This tweet did not result in any sanction or threat from the BBC with regard to impartiality rules!

No, I’m not spreading misinformation, I just linked the article that reported it.

The Bloop
10-03-23, 19:11
This is purely to make more dollar ?

Nothing wrong with it as long as its within the rules.
Remember it also saves the BBC ( ie you and me as licence fee payers) money as they don't have to pay over any tax, nic or holiday pay. Same with any contractor.

Rjk
10-03-23, 19:11

I like lineker, but this is a price worth paying

JamesWales
10-03-23, 19:14
What he tweeted was not foolish, it was factually correct. His tweet stated ‘This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s’. Can you point out what was incorrect about his statement? No accusation of being Nazi’s, no reason for Braverman to feel intimidated and no threatening words. unfortunately in this day and age, the government has issue with facts

Compare this tweet to the one Alan Sugar did prior to the previous election (bearing in mind that he is a contractor for the BBC, just like Lineker).

‘I seriously back @BorisJohnson to be the new PM. The public like him and he will have a good chance of winning the election in 2021 if not before. Any one who can stop @jeremycorbyn from becoming PM has my backing.’

This tweet did not result in any sanction or threat from the BBC with regard to impartiality rules!

No, I’m not spreading misinformation, I just linked the article that reported it.

I'm not defending the BBC, who are in a difficult position. I'm just saying Linekers tweet was stupid, and it was. To compare trying to fix the complete exploitation of the asylum system to the Nazis is historically illiterate bullshit, as nearly all second world war analogies are

But this has been discussed elsewhere and it's Friday night and I'm done on it ,👍

jon1959
10-03-23, 19:24
Sky Sports News just enjoyed themselves ripping into the BBC - over-reaction and hypocrisy - and they were right.

Alex Scott has refused to be a Lineker sub.

I wonder who will be prepared to take the tainted gig?

PontBlue
10-03-23, 19:35
All possible presenters and pundits should boycott the show.

While the BBC are at it they should remove Laura Kuenssberg as she's clearly a Tory Sympathiser and this comes across clearly in the BBC's Politics Show which is a clear breach of policy.

MacAdder
10-03-23, 19:47
The BBC bigwigs will be partying tonight.
Getting shot of one of the most cringey and boring presenters on British telly, and all his own doing.

Regardless of what people may think of the BBC politically, Lineker was obviously in breach of contract and has been properly reprimanded.

With Shearer apparently showing solidarity to add to Ian Wright's stance, it's like a lottery win.

Anyway, does anybody watch MOTD "live" these days?
This bloke's got it right, and he could play a bit too...

https://youtu.be/Gr3yOeJ_WWs

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 19:50
Sky Sports News just enjoyed themselves ripping into the BBC - over-reaction and hypocrisy - and they were right.

Mark Chapman has said he won’t do it, Micah Richards said he’s not due to appear on there tomorrow, but wouldn’t if he was booked to appear.

MacAdder
10-03-23, 19:52

This

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 19:55
Nadine Dorries has a background in the sports sector.

Aye Sunday Sport

MacAdder
10-03-23, 19:55

1. Alex Scott has refused to be a Lineker sub.

2. I wonder who will be prepared to take the tainted gig?

1. TFFT!

Jason Muhammed ?
Gabby Yorath ?

Ninja
10-03-23, 20:02
I've always liked Lineker, but this proves what a privelleged and over-paid wanker he's become.

Firstly, the immigration figures fed to the public are utter bullshit, the real figures are certainly far more higher than given officially.

People like Lineker, with multi-millions in their accounts, can brag all day about housing immigrants etc, but it only shows how far-removed from reality, he's actually become.

There are families living in shit-hovels for years, waiting for council housing, while watching immigrants jump the queue, and getting housed within months.

I don't like the BBC, but they're clearly able to gauge public opinion, in the same way that the government (thankfully) is starting to do.

Lineker is THAT far removed from reality, due to his privelleged position, and his tens of millions, that he simply can't see the wood for the fecking trees.

Good riddance to any dickhead that can't see the damage that mass-immigration is doing. It's been ignored and allowed for far too long, and it still won't be addressed properly even now.

It's easy to shout from your mansion somewhere exclusive like Cheshire, when you can't see the reality that happens for the many that aren't so privelleged.

F*ck Lineker, and Ian Wright, and anybody else that supports such bullshit.

A Quiet Monkfish
10-03-23, 20:05
Twitter. It's bollocks really. Lineker has 8.7million 'followers' and has his opinion. Bloke down pub doesn't have twitter or any followers and he has his opinion. Doesn't make Lineker's opinion any more valid than the bloke down the pub. Sadly whilst it's easy to get away from the bloke in the pub, it's a lot harder to get away from Lineker and his 'thoughts'..

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 20:08
1. TFFT!

Jason Muhammed ?
Gabby Yorath ?

Yep those two seem like complete mercenaries

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 20:12
I've always liked Lineker, but this proves what a privelleged and over-paid wanker he's become.

Firstly, the immigration figures fed to the public are utter bullshit, the real figures are certainly far more higher than given officially.

People like Lineker, with multi-millions in their accounts, can brag all day about housing immigrants etc, but it only shows how far-removed from reality, he's actually become.

There are families living in shit-hovels for years, waiting for council housing, while watching immigrants jump the queue, and getting housed within months.

I don't like the BBC, but they're clearly able to gauge public opinion, in the same way that the government (thankfully) is starting to do.

Lineker is THAT far removed from reality, due to his privelleged position, and his tens of millions, that he simply can't see the wood for the fecking trees.

Good riddance to any dickhead that can't see the damage that mass-immigration is doing. It's been ignored and allowed for far too long, and it still won't be addressed properly even now.

It's easy to shout from your mansion somewhere exclusive like Cheshire, when you can't see the reality that happens for the many that aren't so privelleged.

There's a difference between immigrants and refugees. Lineker was comparing the language to the Nazi rhetoric. Refugees and immigrants are not to blame for people waiting or living in "hovels". It's not just people who live in mansions who disagree with the Tories. I'd say Lineker is overpaid though.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 20:13

The problem with this current situation is that suella deville is lying for political purposes

Saying 100 million people are coming is appalling nonsense

It's playing into the hands of the far right

You don't deal with immigration by lying about it

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 20:14

Excellent incoherent ranting skills, well done.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 20:14
Twitter. It's bollocks really. Lineker has 8.7million 'followers' and has his opinion. Bloke down pub doesn't have twitter or any followers and he has his opinion. Doesn't make Lineker's opinion any more valid than the bloke down the pub. Sadly whilst it's easy to get away from the bloke in the pub, it's a lot harder to get away from Lineker and his 'thoughts'..

I find it easier to get away from Lineker's opinions than the poorly thought out prattle of the bloke in the pub cos they go home and post on here.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 20:15
There's a difference between immigrants and refugees. Lineker was comparing the language to the Nazi rhetoric. Refugees and immigrants are not to blame for people waiting or living in "hovels". It's not just people who live in mansions who disagree with the Tories. I'd say Lineker is overpaid though.

The Tories know that people see the word immigrant and shout asylum seeker or refugee or all three

Maurice Swan
10-03-23, 20:17
Saying 100 million people are coming is appalling nonsense

"What she actually said was "under the present system, the 100 million people estimated to be displaced around the world would have the right to seek asylum in Britain."

Getting rid of Linker et al is the correct decision.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 20:19
"What she actually said was "under the present system, the 100 million people estimated to be displaced around the world would have the right to seek asylum in Britain."

Which is Disgraceful scare mongering and untrue

It's a decision you agree with

I don't and loads of people agree with me and not you

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 20:22
Isn't it funny how the Tories, getting battered in the polls, are turning to immigration in a bid to gain support?

Maurice Swan
10-03-23, 20:24
Which is Disgraceful scare mongering and untrue

It's a decision you agree with

I don't and loads of people agree with me and not you

She was stating the rules as they stand. I suspect many also agree with me, although perhaps not on here, which has a labour based viewpoint.

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-03-23, 20:26
Isn't it funny how the Tories, getting battered in the polls, are turning to immigration in a bid to gain support?
Exactly. Their last desperate throw of the dice.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 20:26

Are you saying they should do nothing about it? Increase in boat crossings was about 300% in 2022. What if the increase is the same this year?

We aren't talking about this today because of the government, but because of Gary Linekers daft tweet.

Tuerto
10-03-23, 20:27

And that they're very upset about the opinions of Gary Lineker. What Snowflakes they are.

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 20:29

What, you think it’s not just a coincidence then?

Doucas
10-03-23, 20:30

This is why billionaire right wingers own newspapers, so the plebs like ninja believe its the poorest and most vulnerable in society causing all the ills in the UK instead of the mega wealthy and the Tories.

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 20:31

Don’t forget she upped it to a billion the following day.

Eric Cartman
10-03-23, 20:31
She was stating the rules as they stand. I suspect many also agree with me, although perhaps not on here, which has a labour based viewpoint.

I'm still waiting for Turkey to join the EU and all of them to move here.

Rehashed nonsense from a desperate bunch out of ideas.

fingers
10-03-23, 20:32

Call Big Sam

lostinnewforest
10-03-23, 20:36

When you need a scab there's always Nicholas Wychell

Dave Blue
10-03-23, 20:39

This drivel reminds me of that old cartoon where the rich guy persuades the 2 poor guys that one of them is nicking the other’s crumbs when the rich fat cat has the rest to himself. That’s the far right for you.

Ninja
10-03-23, 20:40
This is why billionaire right wingers own newspapers, so the plebs like ninja believe its the poorest and most vulnerable in society causing all the ills in the UK instead of the mega wealthy and the Tories.

Wow, there are clearly a few completely disillusioned Tories on here!
You and Bob clearly don't seem to grasp it.
Bob thinks what I've said is "incoherent"... In what way Bob? Do you not understand it?

You, on the other hand, seem to suggest that I think the poor are responsible for all the ills in the world. Nope, it's the greedy, rich, Tory tw*ts that cause all the ills, like Lineker.

The wealthy see what they want to see, they're so far removed from reality that it's sickening.
People will suffer because of greed. Those with the money will never give a shit.

Ninja
10-03-23, 20:41
This drivel reminds me of that old cartoon where the rich guy persuades the 2 poor guys that one of them is nicking the other’s crumbs when the rich fat cat has the rest to himself. That’s the far right for you.

How am I "far right" you absolute clown?

The Bloop
10-03-23, 20:41

What, you think it’s not just a coincidence then?

Taking control of the borders was a vote winner in 2016.
7 years on and they still haven't managed it so they thought they'd give it another go.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 20:43

Whether they would though is very unlikely. Asylum seekers in the main go to the nearest safe country available and the numbers diminish with each country thereafter.

Whisperer
10-03-23, 20:44
My monies on Savage & Sutton

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 20:46
it's the greedy, rich, Tory tw*ts that cause all the ills, like Lineker.

For someone who's "always liked Lineker" you, err, don't like him that much.

Ninja
10-03-23, 20:48
For someone who's "always liked Lineker" you, err, don't like him that much.

I like him a lot as a presenter, and he was a great player.
I don't like his stance on this subject though.

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 20:54
Wow, there are clearly a few completely disillusioned Tories on here!
You and Bob clearly don't seem to grasp it.
Bob thinks what I've said is "incoherent"... In what way Bob? Do you not understand it?

You, on the other hand, seem to suggest that I think the poor are responsible for all the ills in the world. Nope, it's the greedy, rich, Tory tw*ts that cause all the ills, like Lineker.

The wealthy see what they want to see, they're so far removed from reality that it's sickening.
People will suffer because of greed. Those with the money will never give a shit.

If I misunderstood what you were saying then I’m sorry, but, I think I’m right in saying that every one who has replied to your message has interpreted it the same way - I would have thought that should give you some food for thought.

Baloo
10-03-23, 20:54

It was pointed out to her that 74% of those haven’t actually left their own country.

Doucas
10-03-23, 20:55
Wow not sure if it's been posted yet but a presenter on sky sports news tears the BBC apart here.

https://twitter.com/LallyLangford/status/1634279868606173194?t=HyhcUSOJQ2U8gqZqYul8rQ&s=19

A Quiet Monkfish
10-03-23, 20:56

Because for some on here every non-football argument is just down to right/left, Tory/Labour. It makes it much easier for them as it doesn't require any real thought process.

Ninja
10-03-23, 20:57
If I misunderstood what you were saying then I’m sorry, but, I think I’m right in saying that every one who has replied to your message has interpreted it the same way

What way is that Bob?
Right wing?
In what way, is what I've said, right wing?

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 20:57
I like him a lot as a presenter, and he was a great player.
I don't like his stance on this subject though.

You said he was one of a group of greedy, rich Tory twats who cause all the ills. Have you only come to this conclusion this week?

Ninja
10-03-23, 20:59
You said he was a greedy, rich Tory twat who cause all the ills. Have you only come to this conclusion this week?

About Lineker, or about Tories?
Lineker, this week. Tories, always been that way.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 21:00

Good

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 21:03
When you need a scab there's always Nicholas Wychell

King Of The Snakes

Sign him up

dembethewarrior
10-03-23, 21:05

:thumbup:

the other bob wilson
10-03-23, 21:06
What way is that Bob?
Right wing?
In what way, is what I've said, right wing?

I’ve not mentioned left or right, but you’re supporting a decision I disagree profoundly with (as I mentioned earlier, I disagree with the BBCs decision not to show an episode of the latest Attenborough series more).

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-03-23, 21:06
Alan Partridge would be up for it.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 21:08
I think Maurice should present it

From France

Ninja
10-03-23, 21:09
I’ve not mentioned left or right, but you’re supporting a decision I disagree profoundly with (as I mentioned earlier, I disagree with the BBCs decision not to show an episode of the latest Attenborough series more).

I didn't mention Attenborough, only Lineker's stance on letting every Tom, Dick and Harry come here... But anyway... As you were Bob, eh?

The Bloop
10-03-23, 21:12
Alan Partridge would be up for it.

The BBC could pass it off as part of comic relief.

+ the native hipster
10-03-23, 21:15

i've diane abbott's got a sweet left foot , and her other left foot's not bad either , she's in.

Dave Blue
10-03-23, 21:16

I misunderstood. I mistook you for a Tory because of your rant. You must be a thick red waller taken in by Farage. I do apologise.

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-03-23, 21:19
The BBC could pass it off as part of comic relief.
Problem solved 😁

JamesWales
10-03-23, 21:20
I misunderstood. I mistook you for a Tory because of your rant. You must be a thick red waller taken in by Farage. I do apologise.

Wow, you sound like a nice, open minded kinda guy

The Bloop
10-03-23, 21:20
A SSN presenter, Rob Harris, has tweeted that MOTD will air without a presenter or pundits.

Ninja
10-03-23, 21:21

Don't apologise.
You didn't ask to be an ignoramus that can't tell if someone is neither right nor left. It's not your fault :thumbup:

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 21:25
About Lineker, or about Tories?
Lineker, this week. Tories, always been that way.

I think Bob was implying your post was interpreted as an incoherent mess high on emotive hot air and low on fact. This week Lineker criticised the rhetoric of the Tory government and this has made you realise, long after being something of a fan, that he's a Tory and has helped to cause the ills of society, even though he has no power and has, before now, criticised from a leftist perspective. It doesn't say much for your powers of observation, and neither did most of the rest you wrote.

ninian opinian
10-03-23, 21:26
Saturdays MOTD will go ahead with no studio pundits as contributors pull out in solidarity with Gary. :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 21:26
Wow, you sound like a nice, open minded kinda guy

When people use the terms....letting in every Tom , Dick and Harry .....I think it's fair to make a judgement call that they ain't a Liberal

Ninja
10-03-23, 21:29
I think Bob was implying your post was interpreted as an incoherent mess high on emotive hot air and low on fact. This week Lineker criticised the rhetoric of the Tory government and this has made you realise, long after being something of a fan, that he's a Tory and has helped to cause the ills of society, even though he has no power and has, before now, criticised from a leftist perspective. It doesn't say much for your powers of observation, and neither did most of the rest you wrote.

I think you read far too much into shit.
Lineker wants to let them all in.
People struggling to get council houses, whilst watching foreigners being housed easily, don't want to let them all in, for ridiculously obvious reasons.
It's that f*cking simple.

Canton Kev
10-03-23, 21:30
MotD will air with no pundits and just game clips.

Shame some of our football experts on here couldn’t have had a go at it

Ninja
10-03-23, 21:31
When people use the terms....letting in every Tom , Dick and Harry .....I think it's fair to make a judgement call that they ain't a Liberal

Liberal?
When did I say I was a liberal :hehe:
I'm not anything my old "wannabe PC" mucker...
I'm not left, not right, and not a liberal either.
I think for myself pal.
Something that seems to be a lost art to some on here of late!

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
10-03-23, 21:34
MotD will air with no pundits and just game clips.

Shame some of our football experts on here couldn’t have had a go at it

The sad thing is some of our football experts couldn't do any worse. I'm happy to give it a go for Shearer's 9 grand a week.

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 21:36
Liberal?
When did I say I was a liberal :hehe:
I'm not anything my old "wannabe PC" mucker...
I'm not left, not right, and not a liberal either.
I think for myself pal.
Something that seems to be a lost art to some on here of late!

On this topic you are definitely falling on the side of the right wing

You are entitled to your view but you are not speaking for anyone but yourself

The people who are really badly housed in this country , including the homeless are not shouting out that this is the fault of the people on the boats

But the right wing media are and you seem to be backing them up

Lineker has not stated as you suggest that everyone is let in and given a house

Ninja
10-03-23, 21:42
On this topic you are definitely falling on the side of the right wing

You are entitled to your view but you are not speaking for anyone but yourself

The people who are really badly housed in this country , including the homeless are not shouting out that this is the fault of the people on the boats

But the right wing media are and you seem to be backing them up

Lineker has not stated as you suggest that everyone is let in and given a house

You attack everybody and accuse them of being right-wing Sludge, when they don't "conform" like nice little people, you've been doing it on here for years.

Nobody mentioned Lineker and housing in the same sentence, but you know damn well that Lineker doesn't want restrictions on the boats coming in, he's as good as said as much.

Let me ask you one simple question.

Do YOU think it's right, that Welsh born families are on housing lists for many YEARS, while having to watch foreign immigrants take local council houses within weeks or months of being here?

ninian opinian
10-03-23, 21:44
Let’s be clear here, Gary Lineker has been censored because he called out the Govt for its internationally illegal asylum policy on his social media, not on the channel

The BBC with its Tory donor Chair & former Tory councillor Boss have done the bidding of their masters

Eric Cartman
10-03-23, 21:46
I didn't mention Attenborough, only Lineker's stance on letting every Tom, Dick and Harry come here

Has he said he wants that?

JamesWales
10-03-23, 21:49
Let’s be clear here, Gary Lineker has been censored because he called out the Govt for its internationally illegal asylum policy on his social media, not on the channel

The BBC with its Tory donor Chair & former Tory councillor Boss have done the bidding of their masters

You do love a conspiracy theory don't you.

Ninja
10-03-23, 21:52

He disagrees with the policy of stopping the boats.
What on earth else, do you think he's saying?!

LeningradCowboy
10-03-23, 21:55
A SSN presenter, Rob Harris, has tweeted that MOTD will air without a presenter or pundits.

It will be probably be a much better program.

Eric Cartman
10-03-23, 22:06

Well, today I learned that three word political slogans do actually work.

Ninja
10-03-23, 22:10
Well, today I learned that three word political slogans do actually work.

"Stop the boats"?
Maybe it's starting to work, finally. Long way to go though :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 22:13
You attack everybody and accuse them of being right-wing Sludge, when they don't "conform" like nice little people, you've been doing it on here for years.

Nobody mentioned Lineker and housing in the same sentence, but you know damn well that Lineker doesn't want restrictions on the boats coming in, he's as good as said as much.

Let me ask you one simple question.

Do YOU think it's right, that Welsh born families are on housing lists for many YEARS, while having to watch foreign immigrants take local council houses within weeks or months of being here?

You were the one who said Lineker wants every Tom dick and Harry let in

Not me

Either you are right wing or you are just right wing on this subject

There is lots wrong with uk housing policy but blaming it on refugees and migrants , which is what you are doing , is what Lineker is criticising

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 22:15

No , he hasn't

Ninja has said that

Thank god he's not a famous sports presenter

Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond
10-03-23, 22:15
he has his walker crisps millions to fall back on.

I bet he made a packet from crisps.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 22:18
I bet he made a packet from crisps.

No need for salty comments like that

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 22:19

He's clearly not saying let every Tom dick and Harry in

That's for certain

That sort of language is for daily mail , sun readers and feckwits down the pub half pissed

Calling for a better and more organised policy regarding refugees , asylum seekers and the issue of immigration is good for everyone

But that's not what the Tories are all about and I hope that in thinking for yourself as you put it you don't end up voting for the twats

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 22:21
"Stop the boats"?
Maybe it's starting to work, finally. Long way to go though :thumbup:

Well you have fallen for it

Bring out your dead !

Ninja
10-03-23, 22:25
You were the one who said Lineker wants every Tom dick and Harry let in

Not me

Either you are right wing or you are just right wing on this subject

There is lots wrong with uk housing policy but blaming it on refugees and migrants , which is what you are doing , is what Lineker is criticising

I am not right wing you banana 🍌
Yet anyone who disagrees with your overtly "PC" pushing, apparently is! Can you not see that ffs?
You're a good poster Sludge, as is Bob, I have respect for you both.
Have respect though, for the fact that not everybody is leftist, or PC, and just willing to put up with this shit.

I'll link a couple of articles that I've read today, they've literally just popped up on my social media. Bearing in mind, these don't even include the hundreds of thousands of illegals that cross, set up shop growing shit-tons of weed in vacant properties etc. Or the criminal gangs that don't go down the "official" immigration route etc, etc, etc...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-office-liz-truss-afghans-channel-kent-b2153048.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/diana-johnson-channel-government-french-mps-b2210968.html

Do you think this shit is right?
That we (as a country) are spending BILLIONS to keep these people housed in hotels that are a better standard of living than most UK homes?
With their own menu's designed to cater for their tastes ffs? (And this had been confirmed!)

It's beyond ridonculous.

There are homeless Brits dying on the streets with no roof over their heads, while tens of thousands of immigrants live in 5 star accomodation with catered menu's, and you still can't see that the system is f*cked.

Ninja
10-03-23, 22:27
Well you have fallen for it

Bring out your dead !

I haven't fallen for shit sonny.
Respond to my previous post.

Wales-Bales
10-03-23, 22:28
With the weekend off, he can go and spend some of that Qatari money that's burning a hole in his bank account.

Pearcey3
10-03-23, 22:31
This is all about the Tories descent to the bottom. They have made a mess of the country. The most corrupt governance in our lifetimes. Constant lying and deception. A disastrous Brexit. A cost of living crisis. At war with the public sector.God knows how many PM’s and Home Secretaries.
So let’s blame immigrants. It’s a useful diversionary tactic. It’s all they have left. They are repulsive.

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 22:34
With the weekend off, he can go and spend some of that Qatari money that's burning a hole in his bank account.

What's that got to do with anything?

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 22:35
I am not right wing you banana 🍌
Yet anyone who disagrees with your overtly "PC" pushing, apparently is! Can you not see that ffs?
Have respect though, for the fact that not everybody is leftist, or PC, and just willing to put up with this shit.

I'll link a couple of articles that I've read today, they've literally just popped up on my social media. Bearing in mind, these don't even include the hundreds of thousands of illegals that cross, set up shop growing shit-tons of weed in vacant properties etc. Or the criminal gangs that don't go down the "official" immigration route etc, etc, etc...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-office-liz-truss-afghans-channel-kent-b2153048.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/diana-johnson-channel-government-french-mps-b2210968.html

That we (as a country) are spending BILLIONS to keep these people housed in hotels that are a better standard of living than most UK homes?
With their own menu's designed to cater for their tastes ffs? (And this had been confirmed!)

It's beyond ridonculous.

There are homeless Brits dying on the streets with no roof over their heads, while tens of thousands of immigrants live in 5 star accomodation with catered menu's, and you still can't see that the system is f*cked.

The chaos of world wide migration due to war , hunger and economies in ruins is not caused by those coming here

It's the failure on this government's policies that's causing the backlogs

The system is fecked but this governments plans are not going to sort things out

Saying .....stop the boats ! .....sounds good but they are just trying to get people to vote for them by lying

I hope you are wise to this

Wales-Bales
10-03-23, 22:37
What's that got to do with anything?He's got the weekend off and needs something to do

SLUDGE FACTORY
10-03-23, 22:37
This is all about the Tories descent to the bottom. They have made a mess of the country. The most corrupt governance in our lifetimes. Constant lying and deception. A disastrous Brexit. A cost of living crisis. At war with the public sector.God knows how many PM’s and Home Secretaries.
So let’s blame immigrants. It’s a useful diversionary tactic. It’s all they have left. They are repulsive.

That says it in a nutshell as far as I am concerned

Rotten bunch

ninian opinian
10-03-23, 22:41
I am not right wing you banana ��

It's beyond ridonculous.

All of us agree that the costs are not justifiable. The fault lies solely with this government as they have failed to process people quickly and have made a right balls up of the asylum system. They are the ones you should be annoyed at. To deflect, they use far right, populist language, and it works on some.

Do you really think that if there were no human beings coming over on boats that this government would house the homeless, no feckin chance.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 22:45
They have failed because at every turn they face opposition, primarily from people that politically you would fully agree with. Same with trying to remove foreign criminals. They failed to do it, but at least they tried. I haven't heard much support for that from other parties.

Ninja
10-03-23, 22:50
The chaos of world wide migration due to war , hunger and economies in ruins is not caused by those coming here

It's the failure on this government's policies that's causing the backlogs

The system is fecked but this governments plans are not going to sort things out

Saying .....stop the boats ! .....sounds good but they are just trying to get people to vote for them by lying

I hope you are wise to this

You're missing the mark mate, and not reading what's posted, clearly.
I wouldn't vote Tory if you paid me to, and I certainly won't fall for the bullshit they spout.

This really is a crisis though, despite the fact that the likes of Lineker and the other millionaires living around Savile Row, would clearly have you believe otherwise.

They're all hero's right? Lineker, Neville etc etc, housing immigrants in hotels they've invested in, whilst receiving government grants to do so....

I see with my own eyes Sludge, not through tainted glasses handed to me by others.

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 22:53
The biggest issue here has to be control of the media, surely? We can all have differences of opinion on a wide range of issues, and it's a shame this thread has been derailed into yet another boring immigration slanging match.

Let's go back to the last year of the last Labour government. In opposition the Tories announced an intention to clip the wings of the BBC. Overnight, Rupert Murdoch's media empire unanimously announced its support for the Conservatives. Murdoch has long been critical of the supposed power the BBC holds. Since then, the BBC has been very reluctant to go against the Conservative party for fear of reprisals.

The BBC regularly gets opposing views on the same subject to make sure its reporting is "balanced", particularly when an item is critical of the government, yet that doesn't always work. If 100 experts agree on one thing and 1 biased individual doesn't, creating a host of lies in the process, that's not presenting the situation accurately. There have been reports of Conservative plants in the audience at Question Time. Political editors are generally Conservatives.

Any commercial broadcaster can adopt any angle it likes, so Sky, GB News etc can say what it wants (in the case of GB Bollocks it doesn't even have to be true). Channel 4 is a public service broadcaster, so again needs to be impartial. It has stood up to the Tory government more than any other broadcaster and asked tough questions of them. The government's response has been to suggest selling Channel 4 and removing its public service remit.

I don't care what side of the political spectrum someone aligns with, our public service broadcasters should be freely able to criticise and ask difficult questions of all of our politicians, political decision making and discussions etc. Any party threatening these broadcasters in order to get them to "back off" is effectively controlling our unbiased media in the country in favour of biased media that promotes them.

Gofer Blue
10-03-23, 23:00
I never watch Match of the Day as I have no interest in the Premier League but this turn of events could have interesting consequences. Suppose those who do watch MOTD discover that actually having no pundits is not a bad thing and Lineker et al are rather superfluous. The BBC could dispose of their services and save quite a bit of cash in the process. Obviously the likes of SKY would be happy to take him off their hands I would imagine.

Incidentally whilst I agree Lineker has every right to express his personal opinion what he said was totally idiotic. There is no way the current situation resembles Germany in the 1930's. If it did, we would be "disposing" of boat people very shortly after they arrive in the UK.

+ the native hipster
10-03-23, 23:05

oops not true , they will however air the episode showing the destruction invasive species have on the indigenous flora and fauna.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:07
The biggest issue here has to be control of the media, surely? We can all have differences of opinion on a wide range of issues, and it's a shame this thread has been derailed into yet another boring immigration slanging match.

Let's go back to the last year of the last Labour government. In opposition the Tories announced an intention to clip the wings of the BBC. Overnight, Rupert Murdoch's media empire unanimously announced its support for the Conservatives. Murdoch has long been critical of the supposed power the BBC holds. Since then, the BBC has been very reluctant to go against the Conservative party for fear of reprisals.

The BBC regularly gets opposing views on the same subject to make sure its reporting is "balanced", particularly when an item is critical of the government, yet that doesn't always work. If 100 experts agree on one thing and 1 biased individual doesn't, creating a host of lies in the process, that's not presenting the situation accurately. There have been reports of Conservative plants in the audience at Question Time. Political editors are generally Conservatives.

Any commercial broadcaster can adopt any angle it likes, so Sky, GB News etc can say what it wants (in the case of GB Bollocks it doesn't even have to be true). Channel 4 is a public service broadcaster, so again needs to be impartial. It has stood up to the Tory government more than any other broadcaster and asked tough questions of them. The government's response has been to suggest selling Channel 4 and removing its public service remit.

I don't care what side of the political spectrum someone aligns with, our public service broadcasters should be freely able to criticise and ask difficult questions of all of our politicians, political decision making and discussions etc. Any party threatening these broadcasters in order to get them to "back off" is effectively controlling our unbiased media in the country in favour of biased media that promotes them.

I'm not sure much of this is true. All TV news stations need to be impartial in the UK. There are always reports of "plants" in programmes like QT on both sides, and on Brexit (as one example) the ratio of panellists was always disproportionately against the govt position. Are political editors conservative? I don't think so. I don't think that can be said of the likes of Lewis Goodall etc.

In all honesty, I think the BBC generally does impartiality well. Loons on both sides will criticise it, which is probably a sign it's doing okay.

Ultimately inpartiality is critical to our faith in it and if Lineker has been warned numerous times by his employer and carried on, then some action was probably inevitable.

I think his tweet was preposterous, ignorant and offensive but I do think he has a right to say it, but I also understand the BBCs position here.

Hopefully one positive is that this knee jerk desire to 'cancel' people will calm down a little bit on future.

Dorcus
10-03-23, 23:08
I never watch Match of the Day as I have no interest in the Premier League but this turn of events could have interesting consequences. Suppose those who do watch MOTD discover that actually having no pundits is not a bad thing and Lineker et al are rather superfluous. The BBC could dispose of their services and save quite a bit of cash in the process. Obviously the likes of SKY would be happy to take him off their hands I would imagine.

Incidentally whilst I agree Lineker has every right to express his personal opinion what he said was totally idiotic. There is no way the current situation resembles Germany in the 1930's. If it did, we would be "disposing" of boat people very shortly after they arrive in the UK.

Give them time; it's early days yet!

Ninja
10-03-23, 23:11

Lineker is forever trying to be clever, and something of a social media "hero".
Every man and woman is entitled to their opinion, and nobody can argue that.
When you work for a corporation such as the BBC though, then there are obvious expectations, which is obviously why he's being dragged over the hot coal right now.

Sludge should work for the BBC, they'd have no worries there. It's as if Harry Potter himself has cast a "politically correct" spell on him. :hehe:

jon1959
10-03-23, 23:13

Did Lineker say the situation in the UK resembles that of Germany in the 1930s?

I didn’t read that. I don’t think he said that.

He said the language used by the Home Secretary and others resembles that used in Germany in the 1930s to demonise ‘others’.

He is right.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:17
Give them time; it's early days yet!

Didn't you support the people trying to overturn a democratic referendum result? Isn't that a bit, ya know, fascisty? It does make me question whether such people are the best judges of liberal democracies.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:20
Did Lineker say the situation in the UK resembles that of Germany in the 1930s?

I didn’t read that. I don’t think he said that.

He said the language used by the Home Secretary and others resembles that used in Germany in the 1930s to demonise ‘others’.

He is right.

Jon, you do normally make reasoned posts even if I don't always agree with you, but with respect, you are not doing so here.

We all know what people are saying when they accuse someone of apeing 1930s Germany. They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history.

I do support his right to say what he wants, but it was a stupid and ignorant comment.

Dorcus
10-03-23, 23:24
Didn't you support the people trying to overturn a democratic referendum result? Isn't that a bit, ya know, fascisty? It does make me question whether such people are the best judges of liberal democracies.

I supported the overthrow of a morally flawed referendum initiated for bogus reasons and hugely disingenuous.

Had this referendum been set up on a truly democratic basis I would have respected the result. However, I have no time for referenda anyway, we are a Parliamentary Democracy and Parliament should have the exclusive right to make such momentous decisions.

Michael Morris
10-03-23, 23:33
From the commentators

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:34
I supported the overthrow of a morally flawed referendum initiated for bogus reasons and hugely disingenuous.

Had this referendum been set up on a truly democratic basis I would have respected the result. However, I have no time for referenda anyway, we are a Parliamentary Democracy and Parliament should have the exclusive right to make such momentous decisions.

I agree that referenda should be used sparingly, but they should also be respected. But thanks for clarifying that it's okay if you don't like it, it's fine to dismiss the result.

What a hypocrite 😂.

Like I said, not the best to cast judgment on the state of liberal democracies.

Dorcus
10-03-23, 23:36
Jon, you do normally make reasoned posts even if I don't always agree with you, but with respect, you are not doing so here.

We all know what people are saying when they accuse someone of apeing 1930s Germany. They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history.

I do support his right to say what he wants, but it was a stupid and ignorant comment.

James you're really missing the point on this one.

Creating the environment in which state sponsored murder is carried out does not happen overnight. There are antecedents which lead the way step by step. The dehumanising and scapegoating of a minority ethnicities is the very first part of the process.

No-one, and certainly not Lineker, was suggesting our Government are acting like the Nazis. But there are earnings from history and which should be heeded because dark forces can be unleashed very easily.

Lineker was right to warn of the dangers of inflammatory language which could cause tragedy if care is not taken. Surely it is worthy of reflection.

Tito Fuente
10-03-23, 23:37

"They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history. "

Or they are simply saying that the language that they used was not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s.

Which, coincidentally, is *literally* what he said.

NYCBlue
10-03-23, 23:39
This won't last. He's a private citizen and allowed to have opinions.

Dorcus
10-03-23, 23:40
I agree that referenda should be used sparingly, but they should also be respected. But thanks for clarifying that it's okay if you don't like it, it's fine to dismiss the result.

What a hypocrite 😂.

Like I said, not the best to cast judgment on the state of liberal democracies.

Good God man what's hypocritical about what I said?

I don't agree with referenda and I don't think they're democratic. As I said we live in a Parliamentary Democracy. I'm happy to leave decisions which are beyond the scope of ordinary people to parliamentarians. Otherwise why don't we just settle everything by constant referenda?

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 23:41
I'm not sure much of this is true. All TV news stations need to be impartial in the UK. There are always reports of "plants" in programmes like QT on both sides, and on Brexit (as one example) the ratio of panellists was always disproportionately against the govt position. Are political editors conservative? I don't think so. I don't think that can be said of the likes of Lewis Goodall etc.

In all honesty, I think the BBC generally does impartiality well. Loons on both sides will criticise it, which is probably a sign it's doing okay.

Ultimately inpartiality is critical to our faith in it and if Lineker has been warned numerous times by his employer and carried on, then some action was probably inevitable.

I think his tweet was preposterous, ignorant and offensive but I do think he has a right to say it, but I also understand the BBCs position here.

Hopefully one positive is that this knee jerk desire to 'cancel' people will calm down a little bit on future.

David Cameron and others had meetings with Rupert Murdoch while in opposition is fact. His announcement to clip the wings of the BBC (a Murdoch aim) and Murdoch's new-found support for the Conservatives in 2009 must just be a mere coincidence. The government has suggested removing the licence fee - what sort of effect would holding such an axe have? Total impartiality? :hehe:

You are wrong to say TV news stations need to be unbiased. GB News certainly isn't unbiased. A commercial broadcaster can report on what it wants in the same way Fox news in America broadcasts utter bollocks every day.

Going back to Channel 4, it is fact that the government have been hell bent on selling it. Do you think it would be so bothered had Channel 4 not been so critical of some of the things the government have done? If there's one broadcaster who is not afraid to challenge the government it is Channel 4.

Anyway, back to Lineker's tweet, he compares government language with that used in 1930s Germany to describe immigrants. When you read some of the stuff said by Braverman and others, nobody can say he's talking nonsense.

superfeathers
10-03-23, 23:42

He said the language of the 30s not the actions of the 40s.

Usually enjoy watching motd (prob a bit old fashioned in that respect) but with it now just being straightforward highlights will just chuck sky on.

Apart from the news I guess there’s nothing else on bbc now

Eric the Half a Bee
More news - All the BBC commentators have decided not to commentate on MOTD tomorrow.

Eric the Half a Bee
He said the language of the 30s not the actions of the 40s.

Absolutely, but there are too many who are too stupid to realise this.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:45
"They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history. "

Or they are simply saying that the language that they used was not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s.

Which, coincidentally, is *literally* what he said.

It is completely dissimilar when context is considered. Because Jews were fleeing Nazi Germany because they ended up getting slaughtered for their race/religion.

In the UK we are talking about people coming TO the UK (and stopping abuse of that system).

The differences are so stark that to make the analogy is totally ignorant. I suspect you know that. Labour will be no different when in power. They will have to talk tough on this, and when they do, that also will not be a sign of some impending fascist takeover.

Ninja
10-03-23, 23:46
From the commentators

It's all a bit nuts.
Like the horse is dictating where the jockey can go....
Ultimately, that shit's going to fail, surely.

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:46

The Nazis started murdering people in the early 1930s.

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 23:47

That has nothing to do with what Lineker tweeted, though.

superfeathers
10-03-23, 23:48

Yep, it probably reinforces the point that there is a lot to be learned from history, lest we forget.

With the commentators now dropping out all that’s needed is for the players not to create any highlights. If only city were still in the top flight

Tuerto
10-03-23, 23:49

Yup, like those who thought that Corbyn was a 'Trot' and would have the Lumpen in thrown into gulags if he were to be elected, there were people who were to stupid to understand that would never happen, but it was the narrative for a time, and it worked.

Tito Fuente
10-03-23, 23:51
It is completely dissimilar when context is considered. Because Jews were fleeing Nazi Germany because they ended up getting slaughtered for their race/religion.

In the UK we are talking about people coming TO the UK (and stopping abuse of that system).

The differences are so stark that to make the analogy is totally ignorant. I suspect you know that. Labour will be no different when in power. They will have to talk tough on this, and when they do, that also will not be a sign of some impending fascist takeover.
YOU'RE making that analogy James, not Gary Lineker.

You've made it all up in your head and created your own furore.

The dehumanising language that was used by the government the other day was absolutely reminiscent of something that would have been used 1930s Germany.

Keep harking on about the differences in the situations all you like as Linker didn't make any comparisons other than to criticise the language being used.

I think deep down you actually know this.

Tito Fuente
10-03-23, 23:52

With language?!

JamesWales
10-03-23, 23:53

Yup, like those who thought that Corbyn was a 'Trot' and would have the Lumpen in thrown into gulags if he were to be elected, there were people who were to stupid to understand that would never happen, but it was the narrative for a time, and it worked.

Anyone who thought that was wrong. But that is EXACTLY the tactic people are deploying now - using an extreme example to try to make a point.

Saying Corbyn will make Britain communist - Wrong
Saying the vaccine is like the Holocaust - Wrong
Saying current policy is like the Nazis - Wrong.

It's all fkn stupid. World war 2 analogies nearly always are.

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 23:54

Who is saying this?

JamesWales

With language?!

Hang on are you now saying language doesn't matter?!

Nope..I'm replying to whoever it was that said the comments were about the 1930s not actions in the 1940...but the Nazis started murdering people in the 1930s.

Tito Fuente
Anyone who thought that was wrong. But that is EXACTLY the tactic people are deploying now - using an extreme example to try to make a point.

Who said the "current policy is like the Nazis"?

JamesWales

Tomorrow's papers

https://news.sky.com/story/saturdays-national-newspaper-front-pages-12427754

Tito Fuente
10-03-23, 23:55
Hang on are you now saying language doesn't matter?!

Nope..I'm replying to whoever it was that said the comments were about the 1930s not actions in the 1940...but the Nazis started murdering people in the 1930s.
"Hang on are you now saying language doesn't matter?!"

What?

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-23, 23:57
Tomorrow's papers

?????

Tito Fuente
10-03-23, 23:57
Tomorrow's papers

This has definitely backfired for the BBC.

superfeathers
11-03-23, 00:00

I’d guess the mail were the first to paraphrase, like tomorrows front page which James shared

The express is hilarious, celebrating the big deal rishi has brokered where france will accept more money. The brexiteers will be over the moon no doubt

JamesWales
11-03-23, 00:01

If you are suggesting that people need to explicitly say those exact words for that meaning to be taken then by definition you are undermining Linekers tweet, because Suella Braverman has never made a speech like in 1930s Germany.

You can't have it both ways.

If Lineker didn't think he was linking govt policy to the Nazis then maybe he should think more carefully before tweeting and make his point in a more intelligent manner?

JamesWales
11-03-23, 00:01

Anyway, I'm off to bed. You are all a bunch of stinking smelling Nazis.

Guten Nacht!

Dorcus
11-03-23, 00:02

And after the "lettuce" from the Daily Star, "The BBC have gone too VAR". 😂

Ninja
11-03-23, 00:03

In what way exactly?
You're basically defending Lineker's comments.

The press don't rule the rest of us ffs.
If you go on Twitter, there's a shit-ton of people that disagree with what he's said, but that won't make front-page news tomorrow, obviously.

The millionaires that support his stance, obviously will make front page news.
There's a ridiculous amount of people on social media that don't support his stance.

Who's right?
The few privelleged millionaires, or the ridiculous amount of people slamming them?

+ the native hipster
11-03-23, 00:04
can anyone from the hive mind honestly say the asylum system can cope with the number of economic migrants coming to the uk? better 10 guilty men go free rather than 1 innocent be found guilty, why not vet all 11 and only let in the... good one

Eric the Half a Bee
11-03-23, 00:06
If you are suggesting that people need to explicitly say those exact words for that meaning to be taken then by definition you are undermining Linekers tweet, because Suella Braverman has never made a speech like in 1930s Germany.

If Lineker didn't think he was linking govt policy to the Nazis then maybe he should think more carefully before tweeting and make his point in a more intelligent manner?

And once again you totally avoid the actual tweet itself for your own agenda. Are you being deliberately obtuse or just an awkward fecker? Lineker never suggested Braverman made a speech like in 1930s Germany. He's only mentioned the language used.

"If you are suggesting that people need to explicitly say those exact words for that meaning" - surely that's what you do with words? Man says he's painted his garage wall white. Should we assume a subtext? You can only take Lineker's tweet for the words he used.

Lineker wasn't linking government policy to the Nazis. If he had intended to, he'd have said using those things called words. Maybe people should be more intelligent and read what is actually there, not make things up, twist things etc. You're one of the worst for this.

Eric the Half a Bee
11-03-23, 00:08
can anyone from the hive mind honestly say the asylum system can cope with the number of economic migrants coming to the uk? better 10 guilty men go free rather than 1 innocent be found guilty, why not vet all 11 and only let in the... good one

There are people who would show great delight if a boat with immigrants sank in the English channel. I find that very sad.

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:09

Jesus Christ. I feel like you're embarrassing yourself a bit now.

He said that the language that was used was *like* 1930s Germany.

How the hell do you get him saying the policy was like one used in Nazi Germany from that without doing a lot of mental gymnastics?

Lineker's outspoken enough to say those words if he felt that way - but he didn't, because it isn't.

It's almost like you want to be angry about his tweet but can't be angry enough about it unless you pretend that he was saying something else.

This is a bit like when Lee Anderson said that people can prepare a meal for 30p.

You gave a couple of examples of what he might have meant by those words instead of admitting that he meant "people are able to prepare a meal for 30p".

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:10
And once again you totally avoid the actual tweet itself for your own agenda. Are you being deliberately obtuse or just an awkward fecker? Lineker never suggested Braverman made a speech like in 1930s Germany. He's only mentioned the language used.

"If you are suggesting that people need to explicitly say those exact words for that meaning" - surely that's what you do with words? Man says he's painted his garage wall white. Should we assume a subtext? You can only take Lineker's tweet for the words he used.

Lineker wasn't linking government policy to the Nazis. If he had intended to, he'd have said using those things called words. Maybe people should be more intelligent and read what is actually there, not make things up, twist things etc. You're one of the worst for this.
This is pretty much the same as what I replied.

Baloo
11-03-23, 00:11
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Understand Match of the Day commentators may also boycott tomorrow’s show. Talks taking place with union reps. More to follow <a href="https://twitter.com/thetimes?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@thetimes</a> shortly.</p>&mdash; Matt Lawton (@Lawton_Times) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lawton_Times/status/1634317347514118150?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

superfeathers
11-03-23, 00:12

Certain people here and the usual
Media are coming in swarms to gear up Linekers language, when he was just asking the govt to tone down its language

JamesWales
11-03-23, 00:12

Eric, I am sure you are smarter than this. You don't need to gaslight people.

He linked the current govt policy to Nazi Germany. A well paid lawyer could argue he didn't mean that, I am sure he wishes he had referenced it slightly better, but that's what he said and people are fine to take that inference.

In the same way that Clarkson probably didn't literally mean that Meghan Markle should be paraded naked through the streets, but that is what he wrote and what he was reprimanded for.

Criticise the policy all you like, but when you make lazy references to the holocaust, world war 2, Hitler, Nazis etc, then you are playing with fire really, and people are bound to take umbridge.

Second world war analogies should be used very very sparingly in my opinion.

Anyway, I am off to bed, so g'night!

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:14

Economic migrants aren't asylum seekers.

Sincerely,

The Hive Mind

Eric the Half a Bee

He linked the current govt policy to Nazi Germany.

No he didn't. You, and other right wing cretins have invented this to suit your agenda.

Come back to me when you're actually prepared to discuss the words Lineker used, not what you think he might have meant. Otherwise, don't bother as I'm not going to waste my effort replying to your fiction.

Tuerto

But James, the stuff about corbyn was allowed on so many different platforms and by so many different individuals, there was another accusation made against him which i shall not mention, which wasn't true of him, yet all of these things were allowed to burn without much challenge from anyone, yet what linekar has said has caught the attention of the media and this board, as well as other social platforms at astronomical levels, yet a right wing media and political figures making shit up in order to destroy an individual (corbyn) was seen as fair game and people just seemed to accept it.

Ninja
I was about to be a smart arse and say "let's leave it alone lads, tomorrow is another day", and then I looked at my clock and tomorrow is today 😐

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:17

He linked the current govt policy to Nazi Germany. A well paid lawyer could argue he didn't mean that, I am sure he wishes he had referenced it slightly better, but that's what he said and people are fine to take that inference.

"In the same way that Clarkson probably didn't literally mean that Meghan Markle should be paraded naked through the streets, but that is what he wrote and what he was reprimanded for."

Criticise the policy all you like, but when you make lazy references to the holocaust, world war 2, Hitler, Nazis etc, then you are playing with fire really, and people are bound to take umbridge.

Second world war analogies should be used very very sparingly in my opinion.

Anyway, I am off to bed, so g'night!

"In the same way that Clarkson probably didn't literally mean that Meghan Markle should be paraded naked through the streets, but that is what he wrote and what he was reprimanded for"

Nice analogy, except Clarkson wrote those exact words, even if he didn't mean it literally.

You have placed your own interpretation on Lineker's words which didn't once compare the government's policy to Nazi Germany.

He did say (in case you missed it the other 1000 times it's been pointed out to you) that the language they used was like 1930s Germany.

life on mars
11-03-23, 00:18
Wonderful news , goodbye to bloated self indulgent overpaid presenters , hope Wright and Shearer follow , there smart arse pundit jokes were dreadful, just show more footy highlights , with Warnock, McCarthy & Holloway in supporting roles .

Send the wages saved to a fund to prop free licences for over 70's

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:20
Wonderful news , goodbye to bloated self indulgent overpaid presenters , hope Wright and Shearer follow , there smart arse pundit jokes were dreadful, just show more footy highlights , with Warnock, McCarthy & Holloway in supporting roles .

What an unexpected take on these events :hehe:

Tuerto
11-03-23, 00:23

The over 70s should pay double, they're the ones sat at home watching 'Waiting to die' TV, like re runs of cash in the attic.

Dorcus
11-03-23, 00:24
If people only stopped to realise Lineker had the insight to issue a sage warning of the consequences of inflammatory language he would be considered very wise and we wouldn't have the silly situation we have now. I'm sure the BBC will regret it's highhandedness.

JamesWales
11-03-23, 00:24

"In the same way that Clarkson probably didn't literally mean that Meghan Markle should be paraded naked through the streets, but that is what he wrote and what he was reprimanded for"

Nice analogy, except Clarkson wrote those exact words, even if he didn't mean it literally.

You have placed your own interpretation on Lineker's words which didn't once compare the government's policy to Nazi Germany.

He did say (in case you missed it the other 1000 times it's been pointed out to you) that the language they used was like 1930s Germany.

Of course I, and others have interpreted things my way. That's how language works. That's what Lineker did. He took speeches about an issue in 2023 and interpreted it as being like something from a totally different country 90 years ago.

I don't dispute that we all interpret language differently. I interpret any reference to '1930s Germany' as likening someone to The Nazis. That's because I know my history. My kids wouldn't know the reference, but adults do.

If someone made a political point and said 'this is like Russia in 1917', I would think they were referring to the revolution, but I guess you could argue they meant that glorious and unprecedented warm summer Moscow enjoyed that year.

Anyway, you are being very naughty, let me sleep.

life on mars
11-03-23, 00:27

What was happening Germany in the 1930's , was it spring time for Hitler or an golden era of inclusivity and peace .

It's not really about a Nazi reference which is clearly where he was going , its about an uncaring media click bait comment comparing the atrocities of that awful era with a goverment annouciment about curbing illegal immigration. There is no comparison and if one thinks there is well shame on them .

And yes Clarkson 's comments were wrong but again no comparison to this dreadful comment by self indulgent Gary.

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:31
Of course I, and others have interpreted things my way. That's how language works. That's what Lineker did. He took speeches about an issue in 2023 and interpreted it as being like something from a totally different country 90 years ago.

I don't dispute that we all interpret language differently. I interpret any reference to '1930s Germany' as likening someone to The Nazis. That's because I know my history. My kids wouldn't know the reference, but adults do.

If someone made a political point and said 'this is like Russia in 1917', I would think they were referring to the revolution, but I guess you could argue they meant that glorious and unprecedented warm summer Moscow enjoyed that year.

Anyway, you are being very naughty, let me sleep.
Your language in this message is like that of an upset child.

Wait. I must be saying that you're a literal child who goes to a primary school with a packed lunch and gets concessionary rates at football matches with that comparison.

There's no other way to interpret my words than like that, is there?

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
11-03-23, 00:34
Lineker is forever trying to be clever, and something of a social media "hero".

This must have been difficult for you while you were being a fan of his up until this week.

+ the native hipster
11-03-23, 00:36

Sincerely,

The Hive Mind
the hive mind struggles to answer the cope question

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:36
What was happening Germany in the 1930's , was it spring time for Hitler or an golden era of inclusivity and peace .

It's not really about a Nazi reference which is clearly where he was going , its about an uncaring media click bait comment comparing the atrocities of that awful era with a goverment annouciment about curbing illegal immigration. There is no comparison and if one thinks there is well shame on them .

And yes Clarkson 's comments were wrong but again no comparison to this dreadful comment by self indulgent Gary.

"It's not really about a Nazi reference"

*Next breath*

"its about an uncaring media click bait comment *comparing the atrocities of that awful era with a goverment annouciment* "

It's not about a Nazi reference; it's about a Nazi reference! :hehe:

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:39
the hive mind struggles to answer the cope question
Is the question still 'how can the asylum system cope with economic migrants'?

If it is, then the answer is "easily, they can not claim asylum and are not part of the asylum process".

With love,

The Hive Mind.

Ninja
11-03-23, 00:40
This must have been difficult for you while you were being a fan of his up until this week.

You keep trying, but failing f*cking miserably.
Do yourself a favour and get some sleep.

+ the native hipster
11-03-23, 00:48

Sincerely,

The Hive Mind
the system is not overrun ???

Baloo
11-03-23, 00:48
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/reinstate-gary-lineker-to-match-of-the-day

Tito Fuente
11-03-23, 00:49
the system is not overrun ???
Which system?

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-03-23, 00:49
This what we need at the BBC !

https://youtu.be/70RQbZ_dOOY

Ninja
11-03-23, 00:50

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/reinstate-gary-lineker-to-match-of-the-day

Muppets.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
11-03-23, 00:51

Not trying anything; just think it's quite amusing how you show such assurance yet your arguments are all over the place.

Baloo
11-03-23, 00:51
Muppets.
FYI, you’ve quoted yourself there as a muppet.

Ninja
11-03-23, 00:54

Not trying anything; just think it's quite amusing how you show such assurance yet your arguments are all over the place.

?
How exactly, are my arguments "all over the place", care to explain?

Ninja
11-03-23, 00:54

FYI, you’ve quoted yourself there as a muppet.

Yeah, I know, tapping too fast :hehe:

+ the native hipster
11-03-23, 01:14
Which system?

the system of trying to cope with over a thousand economic migrants a week , garys house can only accommodate one every year

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
11-03-23, 01:23
?
How exactly, are my arguments "all over the place", care to explain?

I thought I (and others) already had. You had some responses to your initial post but then you decided to cast aspersions and resort to the tedious maxim that "some on here" don't think for themselves, all the while parroting simplistic ideas from the Tory press. You somehow think Lineker is partly to blame for the country's ills, and found this out this week because he made a comment on Twitter.
You suggest that complicated issues are quite straightforward and if people don't get that they're wasting their time.

I think that's enough for now; I can't be bothered trawling through the thread again.

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-03-23, 01:23
Is this tory policy going to work ?

Of course not

Will some people vote for it because they think it will ?

Of course but hopefully not enough

Rotten tory bastards

Ninja
11-03-23, 01:35

I thought I (and others) already had. You had some responses to your initial post but then you decided to cast aspersions and resort to the tedious maxim that "some on here" don't think for themselves, all the while parroting simplistic ideas from the Tory press. You somehow think Lineker is partly to blame for the country's ills, and found this out this week because he made a comment on Twitter.
You suggest that complicated issues are quite straightforward and if people don't get that they're wasting their time.

I think that's enough for now; I can't be bothered trawling through the thread again.

You've "parroted" your own bollocks, without really answering the original question.
If you have nothing to say, then say nothing.
Don't waffle a load of bollocks, as you just have, whilst not making a valid point.

It's tedious, and boring. Get some sleep, you clearly need it. That was half an hour of brain drain that you didn't need to waste, and it got you... Nowhere.

Rest your eyelids.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
11-03-23, 01:53
You've "parroted" your own bollocks, without really answering the original question.
If you have nothing to say, then say nothing.
Don't waffle a load of bollocks, as you just have, whilst not making a valid point.

It's tedious, and boring. Get some sleep, you clearly need it. That was half an hour of brain drain that you didn't need to waste, and it got you... Nowhere.

Rest your eyelids.

I answered your question. Maybe stop telling people where they're going wrong and concentrate on your own boring waffle.

Elwood Blues
11-03-23, 01:58
There has been talk of plants of Labour activists in the Question Time audience as well Eric.

And as for the BBC political editors what about John Simpson John Cole and Andrew Marr?

Can you see any of them voting Conservative?

And I recognize that Nick Robinson was a Conservative when he was younger.

I don't think Laura Kuensberg or Chris Mason have ever expressed a view

SLUDGE FACTORY
11-03-23, 02:25
There has been talk of plants of Labour activists in the Question Time audience as well Eric.

And as for the BBC political editors what about John Simpson John Cole and Andrew Marr?

Fiona Bruce , Andrew Neill , Jo Coburn , Nick Robinson

Raving Tories

You are clinging on but the end is nigh

AfricanBluebird
11-03-23, 04:30
This is a significant moment for the BBC.

Lineker and the BBC in a stand off and now we find out that the BBC have 'cancelled' David Attenborough - they bounced his show from primetime to iplayer because they didn't want to upset or get a backlash from the right-wing Tory MP's because he highlights some re-wilding projects.

Laura, as ANYONE in journalism knows, was very connected (and I mean VERY CONNECTED) to the Tory hierarchy and was their mouthpiece, Fiona Bruce, married to a beneficiary of Tory money.

Where was the outrage when Maitlis, a primetime BBC journalist at the time, tweeted that the Labour Party should undertake a COUP to get rid of Corbyn... Where was the outrage when Alan Sugar, on election day, told anyone who respected him to NOT vote Labour or even Lineker himself, in 2019 tweeted 'Bin Corbyn'..

If these were not breaches of the BBC impartiality clauses then I don't know what is.

The difference of course, is that those examples criticised the opposition and the BBC have a director general under investigation for organising the loaning the Tory party leader and prime minister money and a director who was a former candidate for the Tory party.

And in terms of substance, Lineker was right. The language used by the Home secretary, can be compared to 1930's Nazi Germany.

But that is a secondary issue really - the issue is that the BBC are increasing their crack down on any government criticism. Comedy shows will be next to be axed.

And before anyone says - yeah if the shoe was on the other foot, I would also be concerned.

AfricanBluebird
11-03-23, 04:32

Laura Kuensberg was the mouthpiece for the Tories and as I mentioned above was very close to the Tory leadership... that will come out in a book one day. She is vile... and jumps to the defence of the government (particularly Cummings and Johnson).

+ the native hipster
11-03-23, 04:43
This is a significant moment for the BBC.

Lineker and the BBC in a stand off and now we find out that the BBC have 'cancelled' David Attenborough - they bounced his show from primetime to iplayer because they didn't want to upset or get a backlash from the right-wing Tory MP's because he highlights some re-wilding projects.

Laura, as ANYONE in journalism knows, was very connected (and I mean VERY CONNECTED) to the Tory hierarchy and was their mouthpiece, Fiona Bruce, married to a beneficiary of Tory money.

Where was the outrage when Maitlis, a primetime BBC journalist at the time, tweeted that the Labour Party should undertake a COUP to get rid of Corbyn... Where was the outrage when Alan Sugar, on election day, told anyone who respected him to NOT vote Labour or even Lineker himself, in 2019 tweeted 'Bin Corbyn'..

If these were not breaches of the BBC impartiality clauses then I don't know what is.

The difference of course, is that those examples criticised the opposition and the BBC have a director general under investigation for organising the loaning the Tory party leader and prime minister money and a director who was a former candidate for the Tory party.

And in terms of substance, Lineker was right. The language used by the Home secretary, can be compared to 1930's Nazi Germany.

But that is a secondary issue really - the issue is that the BBC are increasing their crack down on any government criticism. Comedy shows will be next to be axed.

And before anyone says - yeah if the shoe was on the other foot, I would also be concerned.

not true, the bbc will however show the episode that deals with the huge problems of invasive species.

AfricanBluebird
11-03-23, 05:03
not true, the bbc will however show the episode that deals with the huge problems of invasive species.

The BBC are pulling the episode off prime time and bouncing to iplayer, in 'fear' of conservative backlash

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/bbc-slammed-for-pulling-episode-of-david-attenborough-nature-series-for-fear-of-conservative-backlash-report/ar-AA18ty80

+ the native hipster
11-03-23, 05:12
The BBC are pulling the episode off prime time and bouncing to iplayer, in 'fear' of conservative backlash

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/bbc-slammed-for-pulling-episode-of-david-attenborough-nature-series-for-fear-of-conservative-backlash-report/ar-AA18ty80

not true the bbc are showing all the episodes they commissioned, including the one about the damage invasive species are causing.

AfricanBluebird
11-03-23, 05:47
not true the bbc are showing all the episodes they commissioned, including the one about the damage invasive species are causing.

Well that is not what is being reported - unless they have changed their minds in the last few hours. Even the daily mail and sun are reporting the episode on re-wilding is being shifted to iplayer.

dembethewarrior
11-03-23, 06:07
I think you read far too much into shit.
Lineker wants to let them all in.
People struggling to get council houses, whilst watching foreigners being housed easily, don't want to let them all in, for ridiculously obvious reasons.
It's that f*cking simple.

You say that, then go and do it yourself.

Elwood Blues
11-03-23, 06:16

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5401122]Fiona Bruce , Andrew Neill , Jo Coburn , Nick Robinson

Raving Tories

Sent in error

Elwood Blues
11-03-23, 06:22
Fiona Bruce , Andrew Neill , Jo Coburn , Nick Robinson

Raving Tories

You are clinging on but the end is nigh

You are clinging on but the end is nigh[/QUOTE]

Fiona Bruce Andrew Neill and Jo Coburn were not political editors!!!

I already mentioned Nick Robinson.

I'm not clinging on to anything Sludge. I am not a member of the Tory Party.

Doucas
11-03-23, 06:40
In all honesty, I think the BBC generally does impartiality well. Loons on both sides will criticise it,

Urgh this centrist argument doesn't hold up.

The right loses its shit about when facts are reported e.g brexit having a bad effect on the economy, vaccines helping people.

The left criticise it when it clearly spouts propaganda from the tories or tells complete lies e.g. corbyn being a communist.

These two things are not the same.

Doucas
11-03-23, 06:45
There are people who would show great delight if a boat with immigrants sank in the English channel. I find that very sad.

Go to any Facebook post that reports on this and there are plenty who give the laughing reaction.

They always look like this https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-I0bWkPR9hRA/WxVUNgWB1pI/AAAAAAAAKwA/ETKoYtywpsY_iJey3V7j4ZVuwgqVz9cfgCLcBGAs/s1600/wall%2Bof%2Bgammon.png

Doucas
11-03-23, 06:47
The over 70s should pay double, they're the ones sat at home watching 'Waiting to die' TV, like re runs of cash in the attic.

'Waiting to die tv'

Brilliant haha

AfricanBluebird
11-03-23, 06:48
https://twitter.com/LallyLangford/status/1634279868606173194?t=DRFBN8lAXfREobSZ68HSyw&s=19

Even sky sports are scathing.. Sky sports!

This isn't going to end well for the bbc

dembethewarrior
11-03-23, 06:49
'Waiting to die tv'

Brilliant haha

I think it's a fair point.

My TV is barely on.

It's not a bad idea to base payments on usage.

dembethewarrior
11-03-23, 06:53
https://twitter.com/LallyLangford/status/1634279868606173194?t=DRFBN8lAXfREobSZ68HSyw&s=19

Even sky sports are scathing.. Sky sports!

This isn't going to end well for the bbc

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Eric Cartman
11-03-23, 07:01

That is the current system btw. We are just very slow at doing it right now, maybe deliberately.

the other bob wilson
11-03-23, 07:17
This has the potential to become a defining moment in the pathetic "culture war" that has dragged the country down for much of the last decade. After all, significant portions of the side which love to apply labels like snowflakes and woke to those with opposing views while berating examples of "cancel culture" now find themselves in a very awkward position.

Former BBC presenter Dan Walker has been in touch with Gary Lineker who has stated that he did not agree to "step back" from his Match of the Day commitments, he was told to.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1744964/Gary-Lineker-breaks-silence-Dan-Walker-BBC

So, what is that if it is not one of the clearest examples of cancel culture you could come across?

For good or bad, this has moved on from "stop the boats" now, it's about something more fundamental than that and became so when the BBC chose to only screen an episode of David Attenborough's new series on BBC for fear of inciting "a right wing backlash".

This morning, I woke up to hear Andrew Neil of all people taking the piss by pontificating on the Lineker row. To be fair, Neil never allowed his oft stated political beliefs to influence him when he was interviewing politicians of all parties, but what he was allowed to get away with in terms of letting his own opinions be known while presenting BBC news and political output knocks anything Gary Lineker has done into a cocked hat.

For nearly a hundred years, the BBC has been able to offer a reasonable defence against charges of political bias, but these last few days have brought to a head the fact that this has changed in recent years - it's telling that James Wales had to go all the way back to John Cole (who retired from the BBC thirty one years ago!) in his attempt to try and balance the current over use of Conservative party donors, employees or consultants in senior positions at the Corporation with its use of those with a different political opinion..

Mr Soul '68
11-03-23, 07:51
Lineker is a smarmy creep, he and his hypocritical chums sat in Quatar, whose human rights record is horrendous to say the least!

Jordi Culé
11-03-23, 08:13
Lineker is a smarmy creep, he and his hypocritical chums sat in Quatar, whose human rights record is horrendous to say the least!

“From accusations of corruption in the bidding process to the treatment of migrant workers who've built the stadiums where many lost their lives. Homosexuality is illegal here and women's rights are also in the spotlight. Also the decision to switch the tournament from summer to winter. Against that back drop, there is a tournament to be played here that will be watched and enjoyed around the world. Stick to football say FIFA, well we will - for a couple of minutes at least."

Gary Lineker before and during the opening ceremony on the Beeb. Placid stuff when you consider what goes on in Qatar. Much like his comments which have caused such response.

ninian opinian
11-03-23, 08:13
"Hang on are you now saying language doesn't matter?!"

What?

Arguing with himself again!!!

Ninja
11-03-23, 08:22
You say that, then go and do it yourself.

You win.
The award, for the most boring poster to ever bore people to death on a message board.

Doucas
11-03-23, 08:43

So you agree about what he says about treating assylum seekers well then?

dembethewarrior
11-03-23, 08:50
You win.
The award, for the most boring poster to ever bore people to death on a message board.

I read more of the thread after making that comment and you made some good points which I agreed with.

Can only post as I see mukka.

J R Hartley
11-03-23, 09:05
I think it's a fair point.

My TV is barely on.

It's not a bad idea to base payments on usage.

Put the TV on and put the phone down for a bit mate.

dembethewarrior
11-03-23, 09:19
Put the TV on and put the phone down for a bit mate.

:thumbup:

Can tell I'm having a bad week can you :hehe: