PDA

View Full Version : ‘Will I be happier if I erase football from my life?’

Undercoverinwurzelland
01-04-23, 16:44
At the moment I'd probably say yes!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/01/will-i-be-happier-if-i-erase-football-from-my-life-how-i-went-cold-turkey-and-quit-the-beautiful-game

Former Labour leader
01-04-23, 17:12
Definitely. Just been to the Coop, wondering around saying f uck f uck f uck. Wonder I wasnt kicked out.

NYCBlue
01-04-23, 17:21
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/01/will-i-be-happier-if-i-erase-football-from-my-life-how-i-went-cold-turkey-and-quit-the-beautiful-game

He doesn't really say, does he? And he doesn't quit, he takes a 6-week break and then goes back.

Undercoverinwurzelland
01-04-23, 17:23
He doesn't really say, does he? And he doesn't quit, he takes a 6-week break and then goes back.
True, bit of a cop-out

logic
01-04-23, 17:28

Sometimes even the most vocal about quitting things get drawn back in.

goats
01-04-23, 18:16

I did, just can’t be arsed with it, rarely go…too old to play now….life is much better without.

the other bob wilson
01-04-23, 18:55

Yeah, I read the article this morning thinking it could be an interesting and original take on the game, but, to borrow from Ronseal, it didn’t do what it said on the tin. Not worth bothering with if you haven’t read it yet.

North Cardiff Blue
01-04-23, 19:02

Get a grip, it's just one game, they are in steady decline like us, we just need Sabri to give them a kicking and win on Saturday and we are back on the up. They are stuck with Martin now, so if we win on Friday it could really be a blessing in disguise and our turn could come from next season on.

The bad times make the good times much better!

cyril evans awaydays
01-04-23, 19:12
A week ago I was floating on air on a long patrolled walk back to the Split seafront after a last minute equalizer. Today's last minute was a punch in the solar plexus. Football is less grey than life, three possible results at the end of a game.

One week, two massively different emotions. Isn't that what is great about sport, though. There's always next week? If you can't handle it, and god knows most of us have seen more lows than highs, take up a different religion/hobby!

Dorcus
01-04-23, 19:19
When football's in your blood there's no escaping it.

@CCFCProgrammes
01-04-23, 19:23

I thought that until covid. Season ticket holder for 34 years.... Gave it up this season. Been to 3 city games all season. Next season it will be 0. Fishing and family from now on.

splott parker
01-04-23, 20:00

This is it for me as well. Football is foremost in every part of my life.

North Cardiff Blue
01-04-23, 20:06
I thought that until covid. Season ticket holder for 34 years.... Gave it up this season. Been to 3 city games all season. Next season it will be 0. Fishing and family from now on.

I've learned to not take the downs as badly, and I think I enjoy the ups even more, don't take it too seriously, it really isn't life and death, but it's still important and adds a bit of drama to life, so I couldn't ever switch off completely.

Sloop_Jon_Bee
02-04-23, 20:12
A week ago I was floating on air on a long patrolled walk back to the Split seafront after a last minute equalizer. Today's last minute was a punch in the solar plexus. Football is less grey than life, three possible results at the end of a game.

One week, two massively different emotions. Isn't that what is great about sport, though. There's always next week? If you can't handle it, and god knows most of us have seen more lows than highs, take up a different religion/hobby!

We have a winner! Well said.
Spedger

Trigger
03-04-23, 07:13
We all pretty much did this during COVID, certainly has its benefits. Unfortunately you also couldn't do a lot else either.

blue lewj
03-04-23, 07:16

There's a few here who've done that in one shape or form.