PDA

View Full Version : Where’s Porrrth Cowl

Incy Wincy Spider
21-04-23, 21:52
I ask because it was mentioned on a Wales Today report. Never ever heard it pronounced like that b4.

SLUDGE FACTORY
22-04-23, 09:13
It's utter bollocks

Nobody calls it that

BBC Wales pontcanna taffia

Eric the Half a Bee
22-04-23, 09:33
It's utter bollocks

Nobody calls it that

BBC Wales pontcanna taffia

They do if they speak Welsh.

SLUDGE FACTORY
22-04-23, 09:35

Not the Welsh speakers I know

It's bbc Wales being arses

TWGL1
22-04-23, 09:45
My son speaks Welsh he pronounces it slightly differently in Welsh That said why bring Welsh words into English speaking programmes. I agree with Sludge here. It’s the old Cymru/Wales debate again.

Former Labour leader
22-04-23, 09:47
Making Porthcawl sound as of its fancy bloody broth is ridiculous. This is not an anti Welsh rant, but it has been pronounced 'call' for ever not 'cowl'.

Former Labour leader
22-04-23, 09:51
Name apparently derived from 'Harbour of the sea kale'. Feck all to do with soup.

Eric the Half a Bee
22-04-23, 10:00

Sorry mate, but all those who foam at the mouth whenever a Welsh word ends up being spoken in an English language broadcast are the arses here.

Eric the Half a Bee
22-04-23, 10:01
Making Porthcawl sound as of its fancy bloody broth is ridiculous. This is not an anti Welsh rant, but it has been pronounced 'call' for ever not 'cowl'.

I've heard Welsh speakers, even those who live near there as I'm from that area originally, call it cawl when speaking in Welsh.

The Bloop
22-04-23, 10:29
Same with Powys or Powis?
Whenever I hear places pronounced in the Welsh language I feel slightly guilty that I'm lazy and use the Anglicised version.

splott parker
22-04-23, 10:34
Why is Merthyr Tydfil referred to as Merthyr Tudful on some road signs? Isn’t Tydfil Welsh?

Tuerto
22-04-23, 10:36
Why is Merthyr Tydfil referred to as Merthyr Tudful on some road signs? Isn’t Tydfil Welsh?

Lazy Sign Writer.

Former Labour leader
22-04-23, 10:55
I've heard Welsh speakers, even those who live near there as I'm from that area originally, call it cawl when speaking in Welsh.

Never heard locals calling in 'cawl' and it does grate a bit when I hear it on Radio Wales. As I posted earlier the 'cawl' bit has nothing to do with soup so I think it is perfectly reasonable to argue, and not in an anti Welsh language way that it should continue to be pronounced 'call' .

Incy Wincy Spider
22-04-23, 11:00
It was v definitely “cowl” as in Batman’s cape. It was used by one of the many Tomos’s on BBC Wales. (Prerequisites for job?)

Former Labour leader
22-04-23, 11:08
It was v definitely “cowl” as in Batman’s cape. It was used by one of the many Tomos’s on BBC Wales. (Prerequisites for job?)
There's a female presenter who pronounced it 'cawl' just this week.

Incy Wincy Spider
22-04-23, 11:14
I remember now. Even more cringeworthy as it was on main BBC News.

City123
22-04-23, 11:31
The cringeworthy one is the person who's started a thread angered by someone pronouncing a word.

City123
22-04-23, 11:33

Are they the Pontcanna taffia you whinge about?

You're stuck so far in the past I'm surprised you manage to log in.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
22-04-23, 11:39
I'm not very good at spotting multi accounts but the thread title has a strong Cedric vibe (?)

Dave Blue
22-04-23, 11:54
Sorry mate, but all those who foam at the mouth whenever a Welsh word ends up being spoken in an English language broadcast are the arses here.
Tend to agree. Years of pronouncing Welsh words in an English way doesn’t mean they should stay that way. Time to learn the correct pronunciation.

the other bob wilson
22-04-23, 12:46
I'm not very good at spotting multi accounts but the thread title has a strong Cedric vibe (?)

It certainly does.

cyril evans awaydays
22-04-23, 13:07
It certainly does.

Ah, the Royal Signals fantasist. Cedric Harper by way of Stockyard Channing, Helen Menken and lord knows who else in between or concurrently.

bigjoe
22-04-23, 14:23

Welsh spelling is Tudful. She was a princess.

Grievous Angel
22-04-23, 14:59
It certainly does.

Almost certainly Cedric - or Tony to those who know him.

splott parker
22-04-23, 21:39
Welsh spelling is Tudful. She was a princess.

Is Tydfil the English spelling then? I’ve no clue.

Joe Gillis
22-04-23, 22:24

It's bollocks ok

Incy Wincy Spider
23-04-23, 00:04
It's bollocks ok

Ban this guy Miguel. It’s anti Welsh, innit.

bigjoe
23-04-23, 06:15
Is Tydfil the English spelling then? I’ve no clue.
It is. I've always thought it a strange distinction. I speak Welsh (though further West) and I'd say Tydfil and Tudful the same. Maybe non-Welsh speakers saw the u as the one in Huddersfield though often in these cases the name stays and it's pronounced differently (as in Porthcawl). Never understood it.

fingers
24-04-23, 18:23
Pen-CODE v Pen-COYD
Nant-y-MOLE v Nant-y-MOYLE
Castle COCK v Castell CAWCHHH

SLUDGE FACTORY
24-04-23, 18:43
Pen-CODE v Pen-COYD
Nant-y-MOLE v Nant-y-MOYLE
Castle COCK v Castell CAWCHHH

People who laugh at the stupidity of all this are not anti Welsh, anti Welsh language or anything else

We are living in 2023

The language fascists were those that birched and beat children for speaking Welsh in the valleys in the early 1900s

Since then Wales and particularly south wales has seen much immigration from the west country , Ireland and further afield

It's the way it is

Welsh is now a less pure form than it was but that's common of all languages at various points

I think my take on this is that I find it quite amusing when porthcawl as in Simon Cowell is heard on BBC Wales by Lucy Cohen , a Cardiff English speaking woman of Jewish descent .......and everybody with her background says porthcall ....no matter how much people say they shouldn't

As I say .....its amusing

But what does wind me up is English people pronouncing Llanelli ....Clanethlee ?

I have lost count of the times I have showed English friends how to easily pronounce Welsh place names like this but they either don't listen or I am a crap teacher

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-23, 19:41
People who laugh at the stupidity of all this are not anti Welsh, anti Welsh language or anything else

We are living in 2023

The language fascists were those that birched and beat children for speaking Welsh in the valleys in the early 1900s

Since then Wales and particularly south wales has seen much immigration from the west country , Ireland and further afield

It's the way it is

Welsh is now a less pure form than it was but that's common of all languages at various points

I think my take on this is that I find it quite amusing when porthcawl as in Simon Cowell is heard on BBC Wales by Lucy Cohen , a Cardiff English speaking woman of Jewish descent .......and everybody with her background says porthcall ....no matter how much people say they shouldn't

But what does wind me up is English people pronouncing Llanelli ....Clanethlee ?

I have lost count of the times I have showed English friends how to easily pronounce Welsh place names like this but they either don't listen or I am a crap teacher

At least they are making an effort beyond pronouncing is merely as an 'l'. We all make compromise sounds when trying words in other languages that includes sounds unfamiliar to us.

The Bloop
24-04-23, 19:55

We are living in 2023

It's the way it is

People who don't speak Welsh ,or other languages with similar sounds, won't have the ability to the necessary mouth and tongue shapes to make the sounds of ch or ll.

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-23, 20:49
People who don't speak Welsh ,or other languages with similar sounds, won't have the ability to the necessary mouth and tongue shapes to make the sounds of ch or ll.

I would like to hear Sludge have a bash at Xhosa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spAoy1_6tu8

SLUDGE FACTORY
24-04-23, 21:56

Loads of English speaking people who don't speak Welsh can say Llanelli

My old man for example

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-23, 23:04
Loads of English speaking people who don't speak Welsh can say Llanelli

My old man for example

After living in England for over 40 years (and in different regions) I can confirm that loads can't.

SLUDGE FACTORY
24-04-23, 23:13
After living in England for over 40 years (and in different regions) I can confirm that loads can't.

But loads can here who are English speakers

It's not difficult

Taunton Blue Genie
25-04-23, 00:17
But loads can here who are English speakers

It's not difficult

Look, old fruit, I have been studying German since 1976 and I still can't pronounce their 'r' properly!

Ivortheengine
25-04-23, 12:36
Porthcawl - not far from Pen Y Bont .

Taunton Blue Genie
25-04-23, 12:51
I once met a woman who spoke Xhosa and we clicked immediately :hide:

The Bloop
12-05-23, 17:48
Sludge, incase you missed it
the newsreader on Wales Today (Jennifer Jones I think) just pronounced Caerau as Kay-Rai.