PDA

View Full Version : A new template

jimmyscoular
24-04-23, 20:12
Perhaps these two movies stars who I had never heard of before they bought Wrexham might have started something big. The template has been for some filthy rich Saudi or American, or conglomerate, to step right into the big time by buying Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City, or, now, Newcastle.

But what if rich people of lesser means decide instead to buy some small team outside the football league and build them into a powerful force gradually, through the years. More fun for sure (lots of local hero worship) and surely more affordable.

Yeovil sounds good, I always like the sound of that name.

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-23, 20:18
Perhaps these two movies stars who I had never heard of before they bought Wrexham might have started something big. The template has been for some filthy rich Saudi or American, or conglomerate, to step right into the big time by buying Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City, or, now, Newcastle.

But what if rich people of lesser means decide instead to buy some small team outside the football league and build them into a powerful force gradually, through the years. More fun for sure (lots of local hero worship) and surely more affordable.

Yeovil sounds good, I always like the sound of that name.

I have a soft spot for Yeovil as they are relatively close by - but I would choose York or Oldham, who have more of a football pedigree.
By the way, Yeovil have just been relegated to the National League South and next season they will be playing Taunton Town, who were promoted to the same division last season.

Armitage Shanks
24-04-23, 20:30
I think Truro city would be a good investment.
There's no league teams in Cornwall. The catchment area along with Cornish history and language would mean a whole county would be invested in the team

logic
24-04-23, 20:37
There's no league teams in Cornwall. The catchment area along with Cornish history and language would mean a whole county would be invested in the team

Seventh tier though. Little infrastructure, little coverage. Next to no chance of doing what Wrexham have done as League quality players won't drop that far. Pushing to get back into the league is one thing, pushing to get a tier closer to maybe getting into the tier below the league

The actors at Wrexham have gone for an immediate return in terms of media coverage, money for themselves via the documentary.

Anyone investing in Truro City, and I agree it has a good catchment area, would have to be a very long term investment.

The Bloop
24-04-23, 20:47
There's quite a few ex-league teams who have fallen from grace and been resurrected. Teams which, with an extra push, could get back in the league and progress. Hereford springs to mind as a possibility.

jon1959
24-04-23, 20:50
I would love to see the oldest football club in the world - Sheffield FC, currently in the 9th tier of the English football pyramid - get on a Hollywood funded roll up the leagues. Maybe Sean Bean and Angelina Jolie are looking for a hobby?

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-23, 20:54

The journey to away games would be horrendous (Carlisle would probably take 9 or 10 hours in a coach on some occcasions), attracting players would be difficult , the population of Cornwall is spread out and the road system poor, Plymouth probably already attract fans from eastern Cornwall and the language is dead really. Otherwise......

Des Parrot
24-04-23, 21:03
Here’s your shopping list

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/global/attendances/

Isle of Man @ 77
Colwyn Bay @ 81
Merthyr @ 113

A side who have been impressive this season, AFC Totton, on the list at 51, could be back to back promotions next season.

Cleve van Leef
24-04-23, 21:10
Seventh tier though. Little infrastructure, little coverage. Next to no chance of doing what Wrexham have done as League quality players won't drop that far. Pushing to get back into the league is one thing, pushing to get a tier closer to maybe getting into the tier below the league

The actors at Wrexham have gone for an immediate return in terms of media coverage, money for themselves via the documentary.

Anyone investing in Truro City, and I agree it has a good catchment area, would have to be a very long term investment.

There’s a small one not far from Sloper Road that in time could do very well if run properly. Quite a good chance of filling the ground as well.

logic
24-04-23, 21:13
There’s a small one not far from Sloper Road that in time could do very well if run properly. Quite a good chance of filling the ground as well.

Grange Albion, good shout.

Des Parrot
24-04-23, 21:24
Grange Albion, good shout.

On that topic, serious question, which club could claim to be the 2nd m biggest in the City, is there an obvious one?

splott parker
24-04-23, 21:27
On that topic, serious question, which club could claim to be the 2nd m biggest in the City, is there an obvious one?

Cardiff Met, and Bridgend Street are the oldest.

bobh
25-04-23, 11:01

My daughter's intended comes from St Ives, near Truro.
In his own words, Cornwall is a nice place to go on holiday, but bugger all to do if you live there, and there's virtually no transport infrastructure, so getting around is a right PITA.

the other bob wilson
25-04-23, 11:17

Isle of Man @ 77
Colwyn Bay @ 81
Merthyr @ 113

A side who have been impressive this season, AFC Totton, on the list at 51, could be back to back promotions next season.

I like the idea of Dulwich Hamlet, the crowds are there already - or they were a few seasons ago at least.

Rjk
25-04-23, 11:36
Woking aren't a bad shout. - are there any league clubs in the whole of Surrey?

Taunton Blue Genie
25-04-23, 11:48
Wakefield has a population of 325,000 and it's football team plays in a league six divisions below the National League!

logic
25-04-23, 11:57
Wakefield has a population of 325,000 and it's football team plays in a league six divisions below the National League!

It would be very hard for a football team to usurp the popularity of rugby league there, though.

To boost their football team, you would need Hollywood A listers or be prepared for very slow progress over maybe 50 years.

Baloo
25-04-23, 11:58
What about Wrexham's rivals Notts County.

Scabs aside a club with a great heritage as the oldest league club in the world. Already averaging almost 8,000 in the National League, without the Hollywood draw. Footballing country East Midlands unlike some areas of the UK. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner have both played Robin Hood so can go straight on the shortlist.

City123
25-04-23, 12:01

Isle of Man @ 77
Colwyn Bay @ 81
Merthyr @ 113

I think Colwyn Bay won the Cymru North this season, hopefully they can challenge TNS' dominance, same with Barry in the South

Taunton Blue Genie
25-04-23, 12:53
It would be very hard for a football team to usurp the popularity of rugby league there, though.

To boost their football team, you would need Hollywood A listers or be prepared for very slow progress over maybe 50 years.

Plenty of room for improvement though :-)

logic
25-04-23, 13:10
Plenty of room for improvement though :-)

Couldn't make it much worse I suppose.