PDA

View Full Version : If you’re the Reading manager tomorrow…………

the other bob wilson
28-04-23, 11:36
and you go ahead in the first few minutes against Wigan, do you tell the team to go for more goals to boost your goal difference or do you think holding on to your lead is more important? I think you’ve got to go for the latter haven’t you? Reading aren’t going to be looking to overhaul us are they.

North Cardiff Blue
28-04-23, 11:40
Not easy Wigan have just beaten Millwall and Stoke in their last two games and will be relaxed, they will go to win, but even if two nil up half-time it's a dangerous scoreline to go all-out attack for more goals.

They'll do their best to just try and win I would think.

lardy
28-04-23, 11:41
Two 2-0s for them and two 0-2s for us and they're above us.

I think we should be fine but the goal difference is close enough amongst all the teams for no one to really need to go for it (maybe QPR are the exception). Wins and defeats will already do most of the groundwork.

Grangenders
28-04-23, 11:45
I think Reading will only be thinking about 2 wins in their last two games. If they do that then Huddersfield would need to beat us and Sheff Utd to stay up

Hilts
28-04-23, 12:07
Reading 100% will be only interested in the win. We arent a realostic target. Huddersfield and QPR are though. Their gd is 1 difference with Huddersfield and better than QPRs.

The ideal scenario for Reading is any win for them and us beating Huddersfield.

Hilts
28-04-23, 12:08
I think Reading will only be thinking about 2 wins in their last two games. If they do that then Huddersfield would need to beat us and Sheff Utd to stay up

Not necessarily. A win v us or Sheff U could still see them safe. Or a win and a draw.

WJ99mobile
28-04-23, 13:09
Shows how crucial that win was last night

Pedro de la Rosa
28-04-23, 13:14
and you go ahead in the first few minutes against Wigan, do you tell the team to go for more goals to boost your goal difference or do you think holding on to your lead is more important? I think you’ve got to go for the latter haven’t you? Reading aren’t going to be looking to overhaul us are they.

Just get the win at all costs. They won't be looking to catch us. They'll go above Huddersfield with a win, and they'll be within touching distance of QPR (with better goal difference) if QPR lose (or draw).

Pedro de la Rosa
28-04-23, 13:15
Not necessarily. A win v us or Sheff U could still see them safe. Or a win and a draw.

Huddersfield play Reading. If Reading beat Wigan and Huddersfield, Huddersfield will need to win vs us and Sheff Utd.

bluesp
28-04-23, 13:58
Be interesting to see how Reading game manage things with a manager who has pretty much zero experience

Harry Lime
28-04-23, 14:26
Whatever the scenarios I won't be happy untill it's fully mathematical. Preston et al is still a relatively fresh nightmare

Pearcey3
28-04-23, 21:19
We are not good enough to be thinking about overhauling goal difference. It’s all about getting the win. This is a complete sell out so we will at least have a big crowd backing the team.
If we win and you avoid defeat on Sunday then a win v Warnock’s lot keeps us up.
I hope we do it because the EFL have hammered us. We were deducted six points because we failed to sell players to a transfer value of £12 million which on top of the transfer embargo stretching back three years and the six points deduction last season is one heck of a penalty.

Think we are down.

Hilts
28-04-23, 21:27
Huddersfield play Reading. If Reading beat Wigan and Huddersfield, Huddersfield will need to win vs us and Sheff Utd.

Yes but they could still finish above QPR and Rotherham.

Father Dougal
28-04-23, 21:35

I really hope reading don't win tomorrow. If they do then we go into Sunday needing a point or it goes down to the last day (assuming Huddersfield beat already promoted shef u)

All the optimism from last night will soon evaporate if any chance at all we could go down going in to that last day........

Rjk
28-04-23, 21:40
We are not good enough to be thinking about overhauling goal difference. It’s all about getting the win. This is a complete sell out so we will at least have a big crowd backing the team.
If we win and you avoid defeat on Sunday then a win v Warnock’s lot keeps us up.
I hope we do it because the EFL have hammered us. We were deducted six points because we failed to sell players to a transfer value of £12 million which on top of the transfer embargo stretching back three years and the six points deduction last season is one heck of a penalty.

Think we are down.

I think you persuaded the EFL to give you only half the points deduction you should have had last season by saying that you'd sell 12m worth of players this season, and now that hasn't happened you've got the other half, so realistically you could have gone down last season and still had an embargo in league one.

Pearcey3
28-04-23, 21:50
I really hope reading don't win tomorrow. If they do then we go into Sunday needing a point or it goes down to the last day (assuming Huddersfield beat already promoted shef u)

All the optimism from last night will soon evaporate if any chance at all we could go down going in to that last day........

You ain’t going down Father D

Father Dougal
28-04-23, 22:09
You ain’t going down Father D

Probably not. But if we went into the last day with the table

Huddersfield 50
QPR 50
Rotherham 49
Cardiff 49
Reading 46

With us playing Burnley away and reading playing a safe Huddersfield.....

Of course we may be safe before then but the above absolutely could happen.

Michael Morris
29-04-23, 10:13
Not that it’s bothering me that much :hide: but I had to write stuff down and I still can’t convince myself we are going to do this the easy way.

The short version:

Three chances for City to guarantee survival before the final day.

Today: Reading v Wigan
Reading fail to win Cardiff are safe.

Sunday: Cardiff v Huddersfield
A draw would see Cardiff safe.

Thursday: Huddersfield v Sheff Utd
Huddersfield fail to win Cardiff are safe.

The longer version

While Cardiff look safe in the Championship there is still a risk of last day drama if results fall a certain way. I’m looking at this from a nervous Cardiff fan’s point of view.

There are three huge games which could guarantee our safety before a final away day at Burnley. We do not want to go there needing something.

Today: Reading v Wigan.
Anything less than a win for Reading will see Cardiff safe. Wigan have something to play for in this game. They will be relegated if they don’t win. Wigan’s chance of survival is minimal and needs a certain set of results but the fact they are still in with a shout is going to put pressure on Reading. So if Reading don’t win Cardiff stay up.

Sunday: Cardiff v Huddersfield.
If Reading do beat Wigan today then it’s in our own hands tomorrow. Don’t lose at home to Huddersfield and we save ourselves.

Thursday: Huddersfield v Sheffield Utd.
If we are still not safe after this weekends games then there is another chance of survival before the final day. So if Reading win today, we lose tomorrow we can still survive if Huddersfield fail to beat Sheff Utd on Thursday.

Should those three results go against us we will hit the final weekend still needing a point at Burnley. The nightmare scenario that would see Cardiff relegated would mean Reading needing a win away at Huddersfield and also requires QPR and Rotherham to win just one of their final two games.

Goal difference also comes into it. At the moment Cardiff have a +7 advantage over Reading but if Reading win two games and Cardiff lose two games that can quickly change around.

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-04-23, 10:48
Not that it’s bothering me that much :hide: but I had to write stuff down and I still can’t convince myself we are going to do this the easy way.

The short version:

Three chances for City to guarantee survival before the final day.

Today: Reading v Wigan
Reading fail to win Cardiff are safe.

Sunday: Cardiff v Huddersfield
A draw would see Cardiff safe.

Thursday: Huddersfield v Sheff Utd
Huddersfield fail to win Cardiff are safe.

The longer version

While Cardiff look safe in the Championship there is still a risk of last day drama if results fall a certain way. I’m looking at this from a nervous Cardiff fan’s point of view.

There are three huge games which could guarantee our safety before a final away day at Burnley. We do not want to go there needing something.

Today: Reading v Wigan.
Anything less than a win for Reading will see Cardiff safe. Wigan have something to play for in this game. They will be relegated if they don’t win. Wigan’s chance of survival is minimal and needs a certain set of results but the fact they are still in with a shout is going to put pressure on Reading. So if Reading don’t win Cardiff stay up.

Sunday: Cardiff v Huddersfield.
If Reading do beat Wigan today then it’s in our own hands tomorrow. Don’t lose at home to Huddersfield and we save ourselves.

Thursday: Huddersfield v Sheffield Utd.
If we are still not safe after this weekends games then there is another chance of survival before the final day. So if Reading win today, we lose tomorrow we can still survive if Huddersfield fail to beat Sheff Utd on Thursday.

Should those three results go against us we will hit the final weekend still needing a point at Burnley. The nightmare scenario that would see Cardiff relegated would mean Reading needing a win away at Huddersfield and also requires QPR and Rotherham to win just one of their final two games.

Goal difference also comes into it. At the moment Cardiff have a +7 advantage over Reading but if Reading win two games and Cardiff lose two games that can quickly change around.

The solution for this is for you to take some diazepam

For a week

Sunnysideup
29-04-23, 11:05
I think Wigan will get a result today
We can go into tomorrow’s game stress free lol 😆

Michael Morris
29-04-23, 16:24
I think Wigan will get a result today
We can go into tomorrow’s game stress free lol ��

:thumbup:

tforturton
30-04-23, 14:37
Disappointed Reading are going down. It's a great away trip - close, easy to get to, and they have a great fan-zone.

Hilts
30-04-23, 15:21
Disappointed Reading are going down. It's a great away trip - close, easy to get to, and they have a great fan-zone.

If Sheff Utd beat Huddersfield then Reading will stay up if they beat Huddersfield.

J R Hartley
30-04-23, 15:52
If you’re Reading manager tomorrow you ring up Lamouchi and tell him he’s a disgrace to the integrity and competition of the league.

blue matt
30-04-23, 21:43
If Sheff Utd beat Huddersfield then Reading will stay up if they beat Huddersfield.

Hudds have a 2 goal GD, so if Utd beat them by 1, then reading beat them by 1, its equal GD, whats the score on it then, didnt it used to be most goals scored ? ?

Father Dougal
30-04-23, 21:46
Hudds have a 2 goal GD, so if Utd beat them by 1, then reading beat them by 1, its equal GD, whats the score on it then, didnt it used to be most goals scored ? ?

Bet Huddersfield are kicking themselves their goal difference is only 2 better as should be 5 better after today.

2b2bdoo
30-04-23, 21:49
If you’re Reading manager tomorrow you ring up Lamouchi and tell him he’s a disgrace to the integrity and competition of the league.

Burnley have more to answer the way they have rested players.

Gofer Blue
30-04-23, 21:54

Agree!

Eric the Half a Bee
30-04-23, 22:04

No, it wouldn't be.

Hudd -18.
Read -20.

If Sheff Utd beat Huddersfield by a goal it would read

Hudd -19
Read -20

If Reading then beat Huddersfield by a single goal it would read

Hudd -20
Read -19

Isaak Davies' goal could yet be critical.