PDA

View Full Version : 10€ A Pint!!

splott parker
23-05-23, 14:14
At the Camp Nou:yikes: Good stadium tour though, being knocked down and renovated shortly so one of the last tours at the present ground. Busy city, Barcelona.

2b2bdoo
23-05-23, 14:16
I went to the Nou Camp and my father in law got me a pint, rare treat to be able to watch the game with a pint…. I think it was a year later he told me it was non alcoholic, honestly couldn’t tell.

Hilts
23-05-23, 14:16
At the Camp Nou:yikes: Good stadium tour though, being knocked down and renovated shortly so one of the last tours at the present ground. Busy city, Barcelona.

I was there beginning of the month. Done the tour glad I did it to see the stadium as it was.

The redevelopment looks fantastic though.

Enjoyed Barcelona as you say very busy.

North Cardiff Blue
23-05-23, 15:20

What cruise ship are you on? Arvia?

Rjk
23-05-23, 16:03
it's one pint Michael, what could it cost? €10?

NYCBlue
23-05-23, 23:22
I paid $16 for a can of Stella at a Jets game last year.

SLUDGE FACTORY
24-05-23, 09:38
Barcelona can be a bit dodgy for tourists I hear ?

2b2bdoo
24-05-23, 10:29

I didn’t have any issues.

Rjk
24-05-23, 10:33

me either

Tuerto
24-05-23, 13:00
me either

It's a very safe place to visit.

goats
24-05-23, 14:37

I’ve never had an issue in about 15 visits….you leave your bag hanging on the back of a chair getting wasted and it might not be there when you look around to check….basic stuff

theclaw
25-05-23, 05:48

Same for me at a red bulls game :facepalm:

Don Corleone
25-05-23, 06:56
Ive been to Barcelona several times , I went once with a group of friends, one of them was a copper and he warned us all to be careful with our belongings. We got on the metro and when we got off his wallet was gone from the inside pocket of his jeans ( including his warrant card which he had to report😂). The train was busy but he didn’t feel a thing! As in all major cities you need to be careful, pick pocketing appears to be a particular issue on the metros in Rome and Barcelona but in terms of general safety Barcelona is fine

Taunton Blue Genie
25-05-23, 09:55
Ive been to Barcelona several times , I went once with a group of friends, one of them was a copper and he warned us all to be careful with our belongings. We got on the metro and when we got off his wallet was gone from the inside pocket of his jeans ( including his warrant card which he had to report��). The train was busy but he didn’t feel a thing! As in all major cities you need to be careful, pick pocketing appears to be a particular issue on the metros in Rome and Barcelona but in terms of general safety Barcelona is fine

I had a similar experience in that a policeman in our group had his wallet stolen.

I keep my wallet in my front pocket in such places and I never hand over or take anything from strangers.
As some of you may know, I travel a great deal but I never stop learning regarding the scams that take place in relation to tourists, whether it be the old 'silly string' scenarios, fake undercover policemen, making you drop a mobile phone that someone asked you to take a photo with or even fake passport offices.

splott parker
25-05-23, 10:06
What cruise ship are you on? Arvia?

Yep, not impressed. P & O greed, too many passengers.

splott parker
25-05-23, 10:09

Me and her strolled down La Rambla, very disappointed, didn’t witness any crime at all :hehe: All seemed ok to us. Camp Nou tour was excellent, must do the CCS one soon:hehe:

Harry Lime
25-05-23, 10:36

Be $20 this year now they have to pay Rodgers wages

NYCBlue
25-05-23, 11:25
Same for me at a red bulls game :facepalm:

It's ridiculous isn't it? The problem is, once I'm in those situations I tend to think "**** it, I'm here to enjoy myself". So one can of Stella became four or more. At least it was a terrible game and we left at halftime.

NYCBlue
25-05-23, 11:26
Be $20 this year now they have to pay Rodgers wages

Rodgers is injured already! He strained his calf warming up for his first practice. You couldn't make it up.

JamesWales
25-05-23, 11:35
It's ridiculous isn't it? The problem is, once I'm in those situations I tend to think "**** it, I'm here to enjoy myself". So one can of Stella became four or more. At least it was a terrible game and we left at halftime.

You spent $64 dollars on four cans of Stella whilst watching an MLS game? Jesus Christ.

NYCBlue
25-05-23, 11:39
You spent $64 dollars on four cans of Stella whilst watching an MLS game? Jesus Christ.

It was an NFL game. I tipped 20% too. So more like $77. The ticket to the game was free though.

JamesWales
25-05-23, 11:41
I remember watching Columbus Crew about 20 years ago and was struck by the cool beer seller walking around the seats. I don't recollect thinking the beers were anymore expensive than a bar mind.

Taunton Blue Genie
25-05-23, 11:42
It was an NFL game. I tipped 20% too. So more like $77. The ticket to the game was free though.

Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

Harry Lime
25-05-23, 12:11
Rodgers is injured already! He strained his calf warming up for his first practice. You couldn't make it up.
He needs to head back into his mindfulness retreat. I think he'll end up doing a job there. Got a soft spot for the Jets back to Ken O"Brien days and I do like the head coach, he was a class act in SF.
Talking of which, if you think the Jets may have injury woes at QB, the 9ers may start the season with Sam Darnold. I'm sure you remember him

SLUDGE FACTORY
25-05-23, 12:36
It's a very safe place to visit.

Not strictly true it appears

SLUDGE FACTORY
25-05-23, 12:38

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jul/21/why-barcelona-is-a-street-hotspot-and-how-to-beat-the-thieves

NYCBlue
26-05-23, 03:40
He needs to head back into his mindfulness retreat. I think he'll end up doing a job there. Got a soft spot for the Jets back to Ken O"Brien days and I do like the head coach, he was a class act in SF.
Talking of which, if you think the Jets may have injury woes at QB, the 9ers may start the season with Sam Darnold. I'm sure you remember him

They should have stuck with Jimmy G.

NYCBlue
26-05-23, 03:44
Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

It was actually pretty miserable. A Thursday night in late December in the middle of a "Bomb Cyclone". The Jets opened the scoring with a field goal in the first quarter and that's all they would score in the entire game. They didn't even get close. The QB, Zach Wilson was getting booed and eventually got pulled from the game.

Taunton Blue Genie
26-05-23, 07:56
It was actually pretty miserable. A Thursday night in late December in the middle of a "Bomb Cyclone". The Jets opened the scoring with a field goal in the first quarter and that's all they would score in the entire game. They didn't even get close. The QB, Zach Wilson was getting booed and eventually got pulled from the game.

I wasn't being serious, old fruit.

North Cardiff Blue
26-05-23, 08:40
Yep, not impressed. P & O greed, too many passengers.

I was on in January, it was good for the Caribbean, but the top is short of space isn't it, we made friends with this couple from Derby and he was always up at 5 so we always had a bed 👍

It's probably busier in the med with everyone rushing off to see the cities, it's a bit too busy really.

North Cardiff Blue
26-05-23, 08:42
I had a similar experience in that a policeman in our group had his wallet stolen.

I keep my wallet in my front pocket in such places and I never hand over or take anything from strangers.
As some of you may know, I travel a great deal but I never stop learning regarding the scams that take place in relation to tourists, whether it be the old 'silly string' scenarios, fake undercover policemen, making you drop a mobile phone that someone asked you to take a photo with or even fake passport offices.

Barca has always been ok, I did see a group of teenagers distracting people in Rome, so covered my wallet, it seemed worse there.

Taunton Blue Genie
26-05-23, 09:53
Barca has always been ok, I did see a group of teenagers distracting people in Rome, so covered my wallet, it seemed worse there.

Everywhere is OK until you are turned over. For me, the place that takes the biscuit (so far) is the Thai-Cambodian border where there are are fake passport/immigration post in no-man's land (which is heaving with panhandlers, traders and and all sorts ofpeople) before you reach the real one and where the officials try to rip you off further. Thankfully, I knew about it all in advance and avoided the fake offices and refused to pay the additional $10 fee at the real immigration post. I was told to sit down in the office after my refusal but they obviously wanted the seat for some other mug that may have bowed to their demand and they sent meon my way.

Rjk
26-05-23, 10:00
Everywhere is OK until you are turned over. For me, the place that takes the biscuit (so far) is the Thai-Cambodian border where there are are fake passport/immigration post in no-man's land (which is heaving with panhandlers, traders and and all sorts ofpeople) before you reach the real one and where the officials try to rip you off further. Thankfully, I knew about it all in advance and avoided the fake offices and refused to pay the additional $10 fee at the real immigration post. I was told to sit down in the office after my refusal but they obviously wanted the seat for some other mug that may have bowed to their demand and they sent meon my way.

poi pet?

Taunton Blue Genie
26-05-23, 10:42
poi pet?

Why, aye, canny lad :-)

Canton Kev
26-05-23, 11:13

Why?

NYCBlue
26-05-23, 20:31
I wasn't being serious, old fruit.

I know.

NYCBlue
26-05-23, 20:33
Why?

Why did I tip? Because it's customary and appreciative, and I wanted to.

2b2bdoo
26-05-23, 20:56
Why did I tip? Because it's customary and appreciative, and I wanted to.

I’d deffo phone that in and say good choice as you had a free ticket.

Although I don’t like the pressure to tip in the US, also dislike the over friendly attention to get it.

NYCBlue
26-05-23, 21:10
I’d deffo phone that in and say good choice as you had a free ticket.

Although I don’t like the pressure to tip in the US, also dislike the over friendly attention to get it.

Most bartenders' pay is over 90% tips. If someone makes the effort to be attentive and "over friendly" I think they deserve a tip.

2b2bdoo
26-05-23, 22:04
Most bartenders' pay is over 90% tips. If someone makes the effort to be attentive and "over friendly" I think they deserve a tip.

That’s the US issue though if they aren’t paying people properly, I’m not going to just tip because it’s standard if I’ve received poor service or if the over friendly service has made me in comfortable, I ain’t tipping. I guess if everyone keeps tipping it’s allowing for bars and restaurants to under pay staff. Putting pressure on customers to pay wages isn’t really the right way imo.

NYCBlue
27-05-23, 01:22
That’s the US issue though if they aren’t paying people properly, I’m not going to just tip because it’s standard if I’ve received poor service or if the over friendly service has made me in comfortable, I ain’t tipping. I guess if everyone keeps tipping it’s allowing for bars and restaurants to under pay staff. Putting pressure on customers to pay wages isn’t really the right way imo.

You're right, but taking it out on wait staff and bartenders is not going to solve anything. Especially if you're a tourist.

life on mars
27-05-23, 14:39

Are the riches of life . That's twice the hourly rate of the person who sold to you .

life on mars
27-05-23, 14:47
You're right, but taking it out on wait staff and bartenders is not going to solve anything. Especially if you're a tourist.
Some New York barman turn over good money on tips I Stayed in NYC hotel that sold beer at 9 dollars they keep the dollar each time and serve hundreds of pints a night , he said his minimum wage was only 5 dollars an hour . I suggested he get a union, he thought for a bit and said nah I earn too much to take that risk . I left spent next 9 dollars on a six pack.

Rjk
27-05-23, 15:45

I hate the US tipping culture, it's such bullshit, especially when they try to impose it elsewhere.

I'll tip 20% if im in the states, but I won't be happy about it

Whisperer
27-05-23, 16:33
I hate the US tipping culture, it's such bullshit, especially when they try to impose it elsewhere.

I'll tip 20% if im in the states, but I won't be happy about it

I always tip even in the UK, I’m a believer that money needs to flow.

Powis blue
27-05-23, 20:43

Your right Paul not a mothercare in sight if your in the the sh@t