PDA

View Full Version : The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

jon1959
13-06-23, 08:33
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/13/quarter-in-uk-believe-covid-was-a-hoax-poll-on-conspiracy-theories-finds

the other bob wilson
13-06-23, 09:12
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/13/quarter-in-uk-believe-covid-was-a-hoax-poll-on-conspiracy-theories-finds

Gifted, individual thinkers the lot of them.

TWGL1
13-06-23, 09:31
Gifted, individual thinkers the lot of them.

The fact that they have to publish these kind of articles speaks volumes IMO

cyril evans awaydays
13-06-23, 09:56
Here is a summary of the Kings College London study.

www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institute/assets/conspiracy-belief-among-the-uk-public.pdf

SLUDGE FACTORY
13-06-23, 10:08
What a bunch of absolute jelly heads

JamesWales
13-06-23, 10:19
No surprise that the internet fuels these things. Its been obvious for years that is happening.

I think the big issue with this study is who picked those conspiracy theories and not others? And who decided definitively that that's what they are?

jon1959
13-06-23, 10:44
No surprise that the internet fuels these things. Its been obvious for years that is happening.

I think the big issue with this study is who picked those conspiracy theories and not others? And who decided definitively that that's what they are?

I expect it was the WEF that picked the theories, the deep state that decided it wouldn't be others, and George Soros who decided definitively what they are.

Surprised not to see moon landings, JFK 'murder' (he's with Elvis in a bunker under Dallas) or flat earth on the list! Organ Morgan will be seriously disappointed that some of his favourites are missing - and he'll know the reason why!

JamesWales
13-06-23, 10:49
I expect it was the WEF that picked the theories, the deep state that decided it wouldn't be others, and George Soros who decided definitively what they are.

Surprised not to see moon landings, JFK 'murder' (he's with Elvis in a bunker under Dallas) or flat earth on the list! Organ Morgan will be seriously disappointed that some of his favourites are missing - and he'll know the reason why!

It's a fairly reasonable question by me though. As the findings may be very different if different 'conspiracies' are picked.

Several of the things cited are about future events, they can't definitively be proven as a conspiracy theory, so asking them why they selected them is no bad thing.

And indeed, that's what I have done! I've just fired an email off to the name in the pdf Cyril sent to ask. I'll let you know what they say :)

Dorcus
13-06-23, 10:55

And the worrying aspect is that these people have a vote.

jon1959
13-06-23, 10:56
And the worrying aspect is that these people have a vote.

And many log ins. :hehe:

cyril evans awaydays
13-06-23, 11:37
It's a fairly reasonable question by me though. As the findings may be very different if different 'conspiracies' are picked.

Several of the things cited are about future events, they can't definitively be proven as a conspiracy theory, so asking them why they selected them is no bad thing.

And indeed, that's what I have done! I've just fired an email off to the name in the pdf Cyril sent to ask. I'll let you know what they say :)

My guess is that under the slide entitled Belief in conspiracy theories often promoted by alternative media they used the conspiracy theories most often promoted by alternative media. You would definitely have a winning line if they appeared in CCMB conspiracy bingo that's for sure!

Wales-Bales
13-06-23, 11:48
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/13/quarter-in-uk-believe-covid-was-a-hoax-poll-on-conspiracy-theories-findsThe wise people answered Don't know, and all the rest are idiots.

JamesWales
13-06-23, 11:52
My guess is that under the slide entitled Belief in conspiracy theories often promoted by alternative media they used the conspiracy theories most often promoted by alternative media. You would definitely have a winning line if they appeared in CCMB conspiracy bingo that's for sure!

Okay, so they've decided what the alternative media is. They've decided what the conspiracy theories are and they've decided that they definitely are such.

The comparison in levels of belief in different theories are interesting but it's all a bit weak based on the restrictions mentioned about. What about other conspiracy theories? What if they aren't all conspiracy theories? What about the role of other media sources? Has any of this changed over time etc.

It's a really interesting contemporary topic but it does rather feel like one of those studies where they set out to prove what they wanted to prove.

Wales-Bales
13-06-23, 11:52
And indeed, that's what I have done! I've just fired an email off to the name in the pdf Cyril sent to ask. I'll let you know what they say :)It's the BBC that you want, as they are paying for it with your money.

Wales-Bales
13-06-23, 12:01
The comparison in levels of belief in different theories are interesting but it's all a bit weak based on the restrictions mentioned about. What about other conspiracy theories? What if they aren't all conspiracy theories? What about the role of other media sources? Has any of this changed over time etc.Bookmark the article, and stick these conspiracy theories on a timeline next to the old ones.

cyril evans awaydays
13-06-23, 12:06
Okay, so they've decided what the alternative media is. They've decided what the conspiracy theories are and they've decided that they definitely are such.

The comparison in levels of belief in different theories are interesting but it's all a bit weak based on the restrictions mentioned about. What about other conspiracy theories? What if they aren't all conspiracy theories? What about the role of other media sources? Has any of this changed over time etc.

It's a really interesting contemporary topic but it does rather feel like one of those studies where they set out to prove what they wanted to prove.

What Alternative Media sources and "conspiracy theories often referenced do you think are missing? They asked follow up questions of the third of people who thought the listed theories were true or probably true. In nearly every case the percentage of total believers is within one or two points baldly suggesting that those who believe one theory probably believe them all. This is almost certainly the case of the user ids that mention the theories listed here most often.

You seem so desperate to overthink this that but I await any response you get with interest.

Dorcus
13-06-23, 13:27
I tend to agree with you on this one Cyril. I think once people get sucked into the conspiracy theory sphere, often through social media, they become addicted to it and it's a bit like nicotine or alcohol to them in that it's hard to shake off.

They set themselves up as being receptive to any new theory doing the rounds notwithstanding how crazy it might be. Also, they usually promote these theories in self affirming echo chambers so these theories eventually get as invasive and stubbornly persistent as Japanese Knotweed.

Thank goodness we appear to have enlightened, educated people here on CCMB so I can't envisage any of us falling for it.

Wash DC Blue
13-06-23, 13:45
There is undoubtedly some batshit people on all sides.

My particular favourite was a story doing the rounds that furniture on Wayfair was being used as a front for child trafficking for elites.

If you are so inclined, everything is a conspiracy…from Ukraine through to vaccines.
More than likely people who believe that vaccines are produced for nefarious purposes believe that 9/11 was an inside job.

On the flip side you have deconstructionists who believe that Maths is racist and that men can give birth.

Wales-Bales
13-06-23, 14:02
I tend to agree with you on this one Cyril. I think once people get sucked into the conspiracy theory sphere, often through social media, they become addicted to it and it's a bit like nicotine or alcohol to them in that it's hard to shake off.

They set themselves up as being receptive to any new theory doing the rounds notwithstanding how crazy it might be. Also, they usually promote these theories in self affirming echo chambers so these theories eventually get as invasive and stubbornly persistent as Japanese Knotweed.

Thank goodness we appear to have enlightened, educated people here on CCMB so I can't envisage any of us falling for it.I think a few people fell for the Russia collusion hoax hook, line and sinker :biggrin:

A Quiet Monkfish
13-06-23, 14:38

I remember the conspiracy theories about China, Wuhan, Laboratories and COVID, too.

superfeathers
13-06-23, 14:47
Conspiracy theories have always done the rounds. Unfortunately one of the downsides of the internet is that it amplifies them.
I wonder what part a consistently lying government plays in adding fuel to the fire

the other bob wilson
13-06-23, 14:54
Conspiracy theories have always done the rounds. Unfortunately one of the downsides of the internet is that it amplifies them.
I wonder what part a consistently lying government plays in adding fuel to the fire

I agree, for example I could easily believe that during my lifetime a quarter of the country have believed in something that could pass for what is being called the great replacement these days.

TWGL1
13-06-23, 15:00
I agree, for example I could easily believe that during my lifetime a quarter of the country have believed in something that could pass for what is being called the great replacement these days.

I agree , it doesn’t help when high profile politicians of the free world get arrested

jon1959
13-06-23, 15:40

I agree , it doesn’t help when high profile politicians of the free world get arrested

What? Are you on about Trump or some other 'high profile politician of the free world' (a surprising description)?

In what way does that promote The Great Replacement racist bollox?

TWGL1
13-06-23, 15:47
What? Are you on about Trump or some other 'high profile politician of the free world' (a surprising description)?

In what way does that promote The Great Replacement racist bollox?

Trump.

jon1959
13-06-23, 16:26
Trump.

Thanks for clarifying.

But I still don't understand your 'it doesn't help....' comment.

ninian opinian
13-06-23, 17:13
The latest conspiracy on Twitter is that Michelle Obama is a man and she raped a women and that her pregnancies were fake. Literally thousands of posts and replies. Some humans are absolutely bonkers.

Example here, worth a read just for a laugh https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1668429030268215297?s=46&t=5XvNdsdmLTsVTx09ZSEfIA

Heathblue
13-06-23, 17:53
The latest conspiracy on Twitter is that Michelle Obama is a man and she raped a women and that her pregnancies were fake. Literally thousands of posts and replies. Some humans are absolutely bonkers.

Example here, worth a read just for a laugh https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1668429030268215297?s=46&t=5XvNdsdmLTsVTx09ZSEfIA

Big Mike ? :hehe:
I'll give you a conspiracy, Big Mike will be the Democratic candidate at their next election. :thumbup:

superfeathers
13-06-23, 17:54

First Rolf Harris now this, what a bitch

Joking aside some of the posters on this board will no doubt be subscribers to this belief already

jon1959
13-06-23, 17:57
First Rolf Harris now this, what a bitch

Joking aside some of the posters on this board will no doubt be subscribers to this belief already

They do, they are - and haven't been shy about peddling it, even in this thread. How we laughed.....

Gofer Blue
13-06-23, 19:37

Wow. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

JamesWales
13-06-23, 20:36
What Alternative Media sources and "conspiracy theories often referenced do you think are missing? They asked follow up questions of the third of people who thought the listed theories were true or probably true. In nearly every case the percentage of total believers is within one or two points baldly suggesting that those who believe one theory probably believe them all. This is almost certainly the case of the user ids that mention the theories listed here most often.

You seem so desperate to overthink this that but I await any response you get with interest.

Okay, missing conspiracy theories from the list may include, off the top of my head:

1: The media combined to make sure Corbyn was never elected

2: Russia financed and delivered the Brexit result

3: The Govt are deliberately underfunding the NHS in order to privatize it.

4: The Govt only give contracts to their mates.

All of those are total guff conspiracy theories, but they carry weight and plenty on here bemoaning conspiracy theories repeat the kind of things above.

By limiting the list of conspiracy theories and 'alternative media' sources, they are determining the findings, which is why none of us are surprised by what's in that report.

Heathblue
13-06-23, 20:41
Okay, missing conspiracy theories from the list may include, off the top of my head:

All of those are total guff conspiracy theories, but they carry weight and plenty on here bemoaning conspiracy theories repeat the kind of things above.

By limiting the list of conspiracy theories and 'alternative media' sources, they are determining the findings, which is why none of us are surprised by what's in that report.

The difference between conspiracy and the truth is generally about 6 months Russian collusion excepted!!!!!

Dorcus
13-06-23, 21:19

All these seem true! Can you think of any real conspiracy stories?

JamesWales
13-06-23, 21:28
All these seem true! Can you think of any real conspiracy stories?

I think you have just made my point better than I ever could!

Dorcus
13-06-23, 21:33
[QUOTE=JamesWales;5429481]I think you have just made my point better than I ever could![/QUvOTE]

I don't think so.

A) It shows you haven't got a clue
B) It shows you will try to distort anything to suit your agenda

Ladies & Gentlemen I give you the next Boris Johnson

JamesWales
13-06-23, 21:38
[QUOTE=JamesWales;5429481]I think you have just made my point better than I ever could![/QUvOTE]

I don't think so.

A) It shows you haven't got a clue
B) It shows you will try to distort anything to suit your agenda

Ladies & Gentlemen I give you the next Boris Johnson

I think it demonstrates that a belief in conspiracy theories goes pretty deep including within those who mock others for believing in conspiracy theories. Which is entirely my point really

Dorcus
13-06-23, 22:56
[QUOTE=Dorcus;5429483]

I think it demonstrates that a belief in conspiracy theories goes pretty deep including within those who mock others for believing in conspiracy theories. Which is entirely my point really

Absolute nonsense: it does however show Tories as shapeshifting ghouls.

the other bob wilson
14-06-23, 04:48
[QUOTE=Dorcus;5429483]

So you’re comparing something like Pizzagate with the way PPE contracts were handled by the UK Government? I see - seems to me, one is a failed conspiracy theory and the other is a statement of fact.

TWGL1
14-06-23, 05:31
[QUOTE=JamesWales;5429485]

Absolute nonsense: it does however show Tories as shapeshifting ghouls.

The government throw out some really odd and outrageous conspiracy theories so when the odd real one comes into the domain, it’s treated in the same way. That’s how it works.

Do you think any of the well known conspiracy theories doing the rounds have any truth whatsoever in them ?

Dorcus
14-06-23, 08:56
[QUOTE=Dorcus;5429494]

The government throw out some really odd and outrageous conspiracy theories so when the odd real one comes into the domain, it’s treated in the same way. That’s how it works.

Do you think any of the well known conspiracy theories doing the rounds have any truth whatsoever in them ?

Yes I do: the fact Trump has small hands indicates to me he has a little c**k.

JamesWales
14-06-23, 09:05
[QUOTE=Dorcus;5429494]

It depends. I'd say there is usually a nugget of truth in most things. I mean if someone said the "Covid 19 vaccines aren't safe" there is an element of truth in that. They aren't for everyone. Is paracetamol safe? Is Cardiff a safe city to drive in? It depends on our own definitions. Others like "Covid was a hoax" is plainly nonsense, IMO. A totally manufactured theory for people to waste time to discuss online. These things can't be easily decided all the time.

Then there is the issue of the role of journalism. For example, many of these things start of as legitimate explorations for the truth. In the example I gave where "Russia funded and delivered Brexit". That's a fair thing to explore, but it's been wholly disproven, so were people okay to believe in that conspiracy theory while it was ongoing? "The UK govt wants to privatise the NHS". This is also completely untrue. But is it a conspiracy theory? Or is it a legitimate belief that this is what they are planning? And if so how does it differ from others on the list?

One of the ones cited in the report; "Central bank digital currencies will be used by govts to control people's money and restrict their freedom". How do you prove that's a conspiracy theory? Firstly it's about the future, and there are no facts about the future. Secondly it depends on someones definition of 'restricted freedom'. Will it restrict a woman with a controlling husband from using cash to have some anonymity? Yeah, it probably will. So, is that a conspiracy theory? Maybe, maybe not.

Just strikes me as a report that has a strong whiff of confirmation bias about it. Because in reality a lot of people believe things that aren't true, that may not be true, or that are deliberate lies and a lot of those things come from what they would identify as media that isn't alternative at all.

This stuff needs to be watertight or ironically it only fuels more conspiracies