PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Signings

Carl Dale's Mole
15-07-23, 13:11
Who do you think is our best signing? Our worst?

Every time we sign someone, I'm going to come back here and rank them again. I'm also going to tempt fate and assume Ramsey and Grant are both done deals. So for me:

1. Aaron Ramsey
2. Yakou Meite
3. Dimitrios Goutas
4. Karlan Grant
5. Ike Ugbo

It's close between Goutas and Grant but something in my gut tells me Goutas could be a good'un.

OurManFlint II
15-07-23, 13:12
i wouldn't assume Ramsey and Grant have signed, it'll end in tears

Hilts
15-07-23, 13:16
How many have seen Goutas and Ugbo to rate them. Could be anything. Both a gamble.

Wash DC Blue
15-07-23, 13:20
Who do you think is our best signing? Our worst?

Every time we sign someone, I'm going to come back here and rank them again. I'm also going to tempt fate and assume Ramsey and Grant are both done deals. So for me:

1. Aaron Ramsey
2. Yakou Meite
3. Dimitrios Goutas
4. Karlan Grant
5. Ike Ugbo

It's close between Goutas and Grant but something in my gut tells me Goutas could be a good'un.

I was impressed with the ball that Goutas played out left to O’Dowda I think for the first goal against The Gas.

No idea if he can defend though :)

Carl Dale's Mole
15-07-23, 13:21
How many have seen Goutas and Ugbo to rate them. Could be anything. Both a gamble.

Extended highlights vs. Bristol Rovers on Cardiff City TV.

Goutas hit a beautiful pinpoint cross field ball. Ugbo scuffed a first time shot.

Nah but just a bit of fun, going off their careers more than anything. Careers. Looks. Gutfeel. Murmurings. Anything.

Carl Dale's Mole
15-07-23, 13:22
I was impressed with the ball that Goutas played out left to O’Dowda I think for the first goal against The Gas.

No idea if he can defend though :)

YES! Was a great ball and I don't even think the commentator acknowledged it.

Father Dougal
15-07-23, 13:31
What were people saying about likes of sawyers and rinomohta signing last season? From memory people were quite positive?

Carl Dale's Mole
15-07-23, 13:33
What were people saying about likes of sawyers and rinomohta signing last season? From memory people were quite positive?

I was very positive about Rinomhota after seeing him in his first friendly for us. Not so much for Sawyers. When we signed him I thought he'd be that creative spark that we've been missing but no...he is not.

Hilts
15-07-23, 13:34

I blame Pearcey for the Rino positivity.🤣

Hilts
15-07-23, 13:37
Extended highlights vs. Bristol Rovers on Cardiff City TV.

Goutas hit a beautiful pinpoint cross field ball. Ugbo scuffed a first time shot.

Nah but just a bit of fun, going off their careers more than anything. Careers. Looks. Gutfeel. Murmurings. Anything.

Ok fair enough.

Ramsey
Grant
Meite
Goutas
Ugbo.

Carl Dale's Mole
15-07-23, 13:39
:thumbup:

There we are, nothing like a good preseason rank!

Father Dougal
15-07-23, 13:42
My issue is everyone else seems to watch a lot more football than me!

It's very rare I've ever even heard of any player we sign to be honest!

Unless its city or wales I take very little interest in football so I won't know anything about them. Expect I'm alone in that though and I'll get ribbed for saying it but how can I judge someone like goutas or bulut as to be honest I'd never heard of either a few weeks ago. :shrug: impresses me how strong views people seem to have on them though!

Carl Dale's Mole
15-07-23, 13:48
My issue is everyone else seems to watch a lot more football than me!

It's very rare I've ever even heard of any player we sign to be honest!

Unless its city or wales I take very little interest in football so I won't know anything about them. Expect I'm alone in that though and I'll get ribbed for saying it but how can I judge someone like goutas or bulut as to be honest I'd never heard of either a few weeks ago. :shrug: impresses me how strong views people seem to have on them though!

I don't watch any football outside of City and Wales. Doesn't interest me at all. But I'm just guessing based on little snippets I've read/seen here and there. Meite having a crazy high work rate. Ugbo's terrible goal record. Goutas' all important YouTube highlights. Grant coming off a bad season. Ramsey being magic and wearing a magic hat.

It's all just guesswork for the fun of it. Or so I thought :hehe:

Father Dougal
15-07-23, 13:50
I don't watch any football outside of City and Wales. Doesn't interest me at all. But I'm just guessing based on little snippets I've read/seen here and there. Meite having a crazy high work rate. Ugbo's terrible goal record. Goutas' all important YouTube highlights. Grant coming off a bad season. Ramsey being magic and wearing a magic hat.

It's all just guesswork for the fun of it. Or so I thought :hehe:

No I find it interesting! It's interesting who people think is good or not as honestly I don't have a clue. Not a scooby. I'll look forward to seeing them myself but otherwise I have no idea.

The Lone Gunman
15-07-23, 13:58
Expect I'm alone in that though and I'll get ribbed for saying it but how can I judge someone like goutas or bulut as to be honest I'd never heard of either a few weeks ago. impresses me how strong views people seem to have on them though!

In fairness, almost all of those who wax lyrical about such signings are just talking garbage. They’ve no more idea than you and I, they just pretend they do.

Father Dougal
15-07-23, 14:04
In fairness, almost all of those who wax lyrical about such signings are just talking garbage. They’ve no more idea than you and I, they just pretend they do.

Maybe I dreamed it but this time last season werent some people waxing lyrical about ollie tanner? That spurs wanted him etc?

A long time ago now but sure there was something.

The Lone Gunman
15-07-23, 14:21
Maybe I dreamed it but this time last season werent some people waxing lyrical about ollie tanner? That spurs wanted him etc?

Of course. City are linked, a quick Google and the ‘experts’ told us he’s very highly-rated. Meanwhile, Tanner’s manager at Lewes was telling us he’s the next Gareth Bale.

The one that made me laugh recently was the Goutas signing. Bulut told the press he had played for Olympiacos, but in fact he never made a competitive appearance for them during four years on their books. Perhaps the manager should have given him a quick Google. 🤣

2b2bdoo
15-07-23, 16:35
Just based on gut feeling

1. Aaron Ramsey
2 Karlan Grant
2. Yakou Meite
3. Dimitrios Goutas
5. Ike Ugbo

Des Parrot
15-07-23, 20:31
Just based on gut feeling too

1. Aaron Ramsey
2. Dimi Goutas
3. Karlan Grant ignoring the negative comments from my WBA friends
4. Yakou Meite
5. Ike Ugbo

Father Dougal
12-08-23, 19:01
Of course. City are linked, a quick Google and the ‘experts’ told us he’s very highly-rated. Meanwhile, Tanner’s manager at Lewes was telling us he’s the next Gareth Bale.

The one that made me laugh recently was the Goutas signing. Bulut told the press he had played for Olympiacos, but in fact he never made a competitive appearance for them during four years on their books. Perhaps the manager should have given him a quick Google. 🤣

Early days but whether he played for olympiacos or not goutas looks awful. Way off the pace.

binman
12-08-23, 22:51
The warning signs about Grant were written on the message boards

That was a Pat Heard esque performance today

Kipre looks better than Goutas
Philogene looks way better than Grant
Kaba looks better than Ugbo

Worrying

SLUDGE FACTORY
12-08-23, 23:39

Worrying

Ugbo has got 2 goals already

olderblue
13-08-23, 06:16

Worrying

It’s going to take time for them to settle in and gel, especially Goutas. Coming from a different country for any job is a big enough upheaval, language barriers and cultural differences are hard enough.

Grant was anonymous and looked like he had little if any confidence in his own ability , Philogene offered very little when he initially came into the team last season.
Ugbo has hardly had lots of service but still 2 in 2.

Apart from Grant who should never have started, our problems yesterday were caused by lacks of concentration from our established team players.

ODowda getting done for the first goal so easily and Wintle and Ng being way off the pace, didn’t help matters .

Although it was a disappointing result and performance, Bulut will need 10 12 games to get his best eleven playing the way he wants to play

EastbourneBlue
13-08-23, 07:12
It’s going to take time for them to settle in and gel, especially Goutas. Coming from a different country for any job is a big enough upheaval, language barriers and cultural differences are hard enough.

Grant was anonymous and looked like he had little if any confidence in his own ability , Philogene offered very little when he initially came into the team last season.
Ugbo has hardly had lots of service but still 2 in 2.

Apart from Grant who should never have started, our problems yesterday were caused by lacks of concentration from our established team players.

ODowda getting done for the first goal so easily and Wintle and Ng being way off the pace, didn’t help matters .

Although it was a disappointing result and performance, Bulut will need 10 12 games to get his best eleven playing the way he wants to play

Never buy this “gel” business personally. It either works or it doesn’t

Carl Dale's Mole
02-10-23, 09:38
WalesOnline have their say:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ccnew-cardiff-city-signings-rated-27824172

What do you think?

Pedro de la Rosa
02-10-23, 10:18
Fair ratings, I guess. I had Goutas, Meite and Bowler as 7s, Grant as a 7.5, Ugbo as a 6, Siopis as an 8, Ramsey 9 and Panzo and Runnarson are 5s as we've not really seen them.