PDA

View Full Version : The most boring British Open ever?

the other bob wilson
23-07-23, 19:05
I’d not watched too much of the Open this year until today, but the wash out in the test match meant I decided to have an afternoon watching the final round. That was the plan, but I didn’t last more than an hour. I’d seen a few minutes of yesterday’s play where the commentators were remarking on how flat the atmosphere was and that’s how I found it today.

I’m a committed anti American when it comes to golf (well, most sports actually), but nothing against Brian Harman who clearly deserved his win, it was the failure of the rest of the field to really test him once he hit the front that made for a pretty dismal spectacle in my opinion - the lack of a thread on the Open on here this year suggests others felt the same as me.

William Treseder
23-07-23, 19:18
I’d not watched too much of the Open this year until today, but the wash out in the test match meant I decided to have an afternoon watching the final round. That was the plan, but I didn’t last more than an hour. I’d seen a few minutes of yesterday’s play where the commentators were remarking on how flat the atmosphere was and that’s how I found it today.

I’m a committed anti American when it comes to golf (well, most sports actually), but nothing against Brian Harman who clearly deserved his win, it was the failure of the rest of the field to really test him once he hit the front that made for a pretty dismal spectacle in my opinion - the lack of a thread on the Open on here this year suggests others felt the same as me.
Have to agree. Nobody in the chasing pack made a move. The winner deserved it, but he ended up strolling it. The crowd were waiting to get behind someone, but it just petered out tamely.

Stanmore Bluebird
23-07-23, 19:59
The London Diamond League wasn’t boring at all.

life on mars
23-07-23, 20:09
Golf just spoils a bloody walk and very eco unfriendly

Eric the Half a Bee
23-07-23, 22:01
Chas and Dave could have been promising golfers but they always used any old iron.

SLUDGE FACTORY
23-07-23, 22:04
Golf Is Death

Eric the Half a Bee
23-07-23, 22:13
Golf Is Death

I thought you'd love to conquer 18 holes in a day?

SLUDGE FACTORY
23-07-23, 22:17
I thought you'd love to conquer 18 holes in a day?

I think I would fall at the first hurdle

Is that golf ?

Des Parrot
23-07-23, 22:32

I think your spot on except he had total control. He misplaced 2 shots all day and just needed to play par golf all day. There was no one capable of playing controlled aggressive golf. Boring, absolutely, but also a completely dominant & deserved win.

cityhammer
23-07-23, 23:34

how so?

Cleve van Leef
24-07-23, 08:21
It seems to have declined since BBC lost the live rights.

the other bob wilson
24-07-23, 08:25
It seems to have declined since BBC lost the live rights.

Listening to it yesterday, I thought the commentary on Sky was pretty ordinary and that Australian former player “Radar” Riley is awful.

MacAdder
24-07-23, 08:29

Perhaps they should change the rules and have the top four play an extra five hole play-off to get a bit of excitement going Bob? :biggrin:

TheGoose
24-07-23, 08:30

agree. we should knock all that grass down and build some houses.

Harry Lime
24-07-23, 11:07
I seem to recall a final round in the 90s when Nick Faldo was leading comfortably at the start and he went on to par all 18 holes. That was pretty boring, and so was Nick Faldo as far as I can recall.

I like the Ryder Cup as an event but since all the main tournaments went to Sky I have generally stopped watching