PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2028 coming to Wales

Undercoverinwurzelland
28-07-23, 11:52
And Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and England https://news.sky.com/story/uk-and-irelands-bid-to-host-euro-2028-set-to-be-unopposed-12929140

NYCBlue
28-07-23, 11:58
I wonder where the final will be. Let me guess, in a suburb miles out of town. Why do England have to be involved?

Undercoverinwurzelland
28-07-23, 12:05
I wonder where the final will be. Let me guess, in a suburb miles out of town. Why do England have to be involved?
I'd let them host a quarter final.

superfeathers
28-07-23, 12:06
Interesting on the day ulez gets the go ahead to be extended.

No doubt it’s been discussed before but which team auto qualifies?

the other bob wilson
28-07-23, 12:13

They may as well play every Euro Final (men and women) there from now on - why not let England host alternate World Cups while they’re at it as well.

Lord Worcester
28-07-23, 12:59
Interesting on the day ulez gets the go ahead to be extended.

No doubt it’s been discussed before but which team auto qualifies?

Does anyone actually know the answer to this? Have they said?
Surely they cannot allow all 5 to pre-qualify?

Canton Kev
28-07-23, 13:03

I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet. The last I saw, it sounded like the top 2 or 3 teams based on ranking would automatically qualify and the others would be entered in to the qualifying groups as normal.

No idea if that’s what they’ll end up with.

Lord Worcester
28-07-23, 13:09
I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet. The last I saw, it sounded like the top 2 or 3 teams based on ranking would automatically qualify and the others would be entered in to the qualifying groups as normal.

No idea if that’s what they’ll end up with.

Guarantee we'll be 4th by then..........

Michael Morris
28-07-23, 15:59

Reporter on 5Live said he asked UEFA today and they said all home nations would need to qualify. But it was far from a proper announcement. Official statements on the award of the tournament and the qualifying rules are expected in October apparently.

blue matt
28-07-23, 16:09

England will bring 6 stadiums to the table ( and could do more )

superfeathers
28-07-23, 21:54
Will be a kick in the teeth if we are hosting and don’t qualify.
Has that happened before?

NYCBlue
28-07-23, 21:55
England will bring 6 stadiums to the table ( and could do more )

They will. But we've heard from all sorts of fans that loved seeing FA Cup finals in Cardiff. You have to admit that it's pretty special to be in the center of town, drinking in a pub and walking to the ground.

fugsyphil
28-07-23, 23:32
Champions league final in Cardiff was amazing

Des Parrot
29-07-23, 07:28
Stadiums nominated in the bid.
Wembley Stadium - London
• National Stadium of Wales - Cardiff
• Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - London
• City of Manchester Stadium - Manchester
• Everton Stadium - Liverpool
• St James' Park - Newcastle
• Villa Park - Birmingham
• Hampden Park - Glasgow
• Dublin Arena - Dublin
• Casement Park - Belfast

The Lone Gunman
29-07-23, 07:37
What a joke international football has become.

lardy
29-07-23, 07:59

How on earth can Wembley be presumably pretty much guaranteed it after what happened just two years ago?

goats
29-07-23, 08:07
They will. But we've heard from all sorts of fans that loved seeing FA Cup finals in Cardiff. You have to admit that it's pretty special to be in the center of town, drinking in a pub and walking to the ground.

I know, imagine having 250 licenced premises within a mile, probably less…..Wembley is so soulless

xsnaggle
29-07-23, 09:43

with no pubs and no restaurants. Perfect!!

blue matt
29-07-23, 09:55

I know, imagine having 250 licenced premises within a mile, probably less…..Wembley is so soulless

While I dont disagree, it has to be said Wembley has the prestige, it was always a icon in football stadia, as a youngster on the streets of Armenia you might dream of playing in Wembley, not soo much the " principality stadium in Wales "

I went down to Wembley for the Ladies FC cup final, the area around it is very nice now, well developed, yes with Chain Bars and Cafes, but its been done very well

London also has all the sights for the visitors, its got a very decent efficient underground, when UEFA bring the 5000 guests, where are they likely to want to go ? ? shopping in designer shops, see Buck House, be dined in numerous fancy Michelin stared restaurant

Jordi Culé
29-07-23, 10:37
While I dont disagree, it has to be said Wembley has the prestige, it was always a icon in football stadia, as a youngster on the streets of Armenia you might dream of playing in Wembley, not soo much the " principality stadium in Wales "

I went down to Wembley for the Ladies FC cup final, the area around it is very nice now, well developed, yes with Chain Bars and Cafes, but its been done very well

London also has all the sights for the visitors, its got a very decent efficient underground, when UEFA bring the 5000 guests, where are they likely to want to go ? ? shopping in designer shops, see Buck House, be dined in numerous fancy Michelin stared restaurant

Your last paragraph is everything that is wrong with UEFA.

Let's cater for the dignitaries who watch football once every four years on s freebie, rather than the stupid fuuckers who pay to go and watch the game.

TWGL1
29-07-23, 11:44

Let's cater for the dignitaries who watch football once every four years on s freebie, rather than the stupid fuuckers who pay to go and watch the game.

It’s not just UEFA.The EPL have made Luton spend £10m on “ground improvement projects “ when Kenny Road was fine in the Championship.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23020516/luton-town-kenilworth-road-stadium-work/

Undercoverinwurzelland
29-07-23, 11:48
I'm sure uefa will want the final played at Wembley as it's the biggest stadium but both semis should be played elsewhere and not in England.

I'd make England play their group games away from Wembley too - Azerbaijan is nice I hear.

lardy
29-07-23, 11:50
It’s not just UEFA.The EPL have made Luton spend £10m on “ground improvement projects “ when Kenny Road was fine in the Championship.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23020516/luton-town-kenilworth-road-stadium-work/

That's hardly the same thing. The Premier League came in not long after Hillsborough, and having safe grounds was one of the important criteria.

It's much better for Luton's future as a club for them to spend £10m on improving the ground for future seasons, than £10m on a right back.

TWGL1
29-07-23, 12:01
That's hardly the same thing. The Premier League came in not long after Hillsborough, and having safe grounds was one of the important criteria.

It's much better for Luton's future as a club for them to spend £10m on improving the ground for future seasons, than £10m on a right back.

It’s unnecessary.They are moving to a new ground soon and it’s a waste of materials and money and hardly good for the environment.

Safety has nothing whatsoever to do with it, as the Championship is identical to the EPL

blue matt
29-07-23, 22:32

100% agree, and the more it goes on the more it annoys, but they know the average fan can do very little about it

Undercoverinwurzelland
04-10-23, 09:29
Turkey has officially dropped out, leaving the UK & Ireland bid the only one on the table.

Des Parrot
04-10-23, 09:47
Turkey has officially dropped out, leaving the UK & Ireland bid the only one on the table.

UEFA will officially announce the nomination on Tuesday next week.

Joe Gillis
04-10-23, 11:22

Who'd want come to Wales with our transport infrastructure?

superfeathers
04-10-23, 13:07
Apparently not happening as uefa disagree with doing 20mph

Taunton Blue Genie
04-10-23, 14:10

I can't even get home by train after evening games!

Ivortheengine
04-10-23, 14:24

You left out queuing all night to try to get a train home again

goats
04-10-23, 14:42
So two home nations will auto qualify……?

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-10-23, 10:18
Official now. Cardiff to host the opening game apparently. Final at Wembley (of course).

Michael Morris
10-10-23, 10:19
No surprise as they were the only bidder.

Suggestions that opening game of the tournament could be in Cardiff. Six games in Wales in total.

Undercoverinwurzelland
10-10-23, 11:53
Six games in Wales in total.
Have they said what ones yet (other than the opener)? Quarters, semis?

the other bob wilson
10-10-23, 14:08
Official now. Cardiff to host the opening game apparently. Final at Wembley (of course).

Celebrating today’s news.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Cgwk2QL3MPA9J5DS6

They should have made it a condition of the bid that the Final was played at Hampden with Cardiff and Dublin having the Semis - Wembley could have the third and fourth place game - they have had more than enough Finals since 1996.

City123
10-10-23, 14:33

They should have made it a condition of the bid that the Final was played at Hampden with Cardiff and Dublin having the Semis - Wembley could have the third and fourth place game - they have had more than enough Finals since 1996.
Agreed on Wembley, but Cardiff having the final would have made more sense in that setup - largest ground of the 3

Wembley getting the semis and final 7 years after having the semis and final is ridiculous (as well as 2 R16 games and all of England's group games)

Wales opening the tournament in Cardiff would be fantastic though

Dave Blue
10-10-23, 14:44
I heard all go through qualifying but 2 spaces kept for those who don’t. England would qualify anyway undoubtedly so at worst it’s 2 from 4.

lardy
11-10-23, 00:38

What is the minimum capacity for a euros final? I think the world cup is 80k, probably smaller for the euros. But Hampden is about 51k for football, that can't be enough.

Baloo
11-10-23, 04:57
What is the minimum capacity for a euros final? I think the world cup is 80k, probably smaller for the euros. But Hampden is about 51k for football, that can't be enough.
The attendance for the Euro 2008 final in Vienna was 51248. Presume it was sold-out.

Rontomuk
11-10-23, 05:20
So two home nations will auto qualify……?

All 5 teams have to go through qualifying stages, but if they don't qualify through them, the best two qualify as the host countries.
This is because England don't want to play friendly matches and land up like Germany did when they played friendlies,

Wozza16
11-10-23, 05:40

Get used to it, the Welsh public are soft and weak. I can imagine there would be protests and riots in the streets if any other country had to pay for a neighbours transport project with no benefit to them whatsoever. Embarrassing really but that's Wales in a nutshell when it comes to these things.

Back on euro28, it would be a great outcome for Wales if we can host the opening match and it should be a semi final, Wembley butchered the last final it had so it's lucky to even be considered, let alone get both semi finals as well.

Swiss Peter
11-10-23, 06:46
Casement Park in Belfast is an interesting one, given its history. I was talking to a mate from Belfast last night. He used to live within 3 minutes of the ground and used to watch GAA there with his Dad. He couldn't believe it might host international football, but is determined to re-visit if it does. Be interesting to see if they manage to rise to all the funding and other challenges.

poc
11-10-23, 08:10
All 5 teams have to go through qualifying stages, but if they don't qualify through them, the best two qualify as the host countries.
This is because England don't want to play friendly matches and land up like Germany did when they played friendlies,

england are playing a friendly friday

BLUETIT
11-10-23, 08:12
Pubs in town have already put their prices up :hehe:

Ivortheengine
11-10-23, 09:41
At least we’ll be able to see some decent teams in the capital city.

Baloo
11-10-23, 15:54
At least we’ll be able to see some decent teams in the capital city.
True. Watching teams like Swansea play has been tough going when you follow the No.1 team in Wales.