PDA

View Full Version : The Inn on the River

William Treseder
15-10-23, 18:58
Or the pub on the mud.
Anyone else on here frequent the place in the 80’s?
Used to have live music 7 days a week.
Big Macs Wholly Soul Band were great, but my favourite was The Karrotts. Think they were from Jack Land.
The Drummer was the lead singer. The keyboard player was an albino, who looked like a robot when he wore a white suit.
They did a brilliant cover version of Brilliant Mind, by Furniture.

tomcat
15-10-23, 19:10
Or the pub on the mud.
Big Macs Wholly Soul Band were great, but my favourite was The Karrotts. Think they were from Jack Land.
The Drummer was the lead singer. The keyboard player was an albino, who looked like a robot when he wore a white suit.
Used to watch bands on a Sunday there, TV eye and original Madassa amongst others. Lots of them switched to playing in the Big Windsor in a Sunday. The band from the top rank used to play along with a few guests, and were brilliant. Used to go to the Dowlais and Casablanca too, the second could be a bit scary at times.

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-10-23, 19:26
Millers Tavern ?

William Treseder
15-10-23, 19:34
Used to watch bands on a Sunday there, TV eye and original Madassa amongst others. Lots of them switched to playing in the Big Windsor in a Sunday. The band from the top rank used to play along with a few guests, and were brilliant. Used to go to the Dowlais and Casablanca too, the second could be a bit scary at times.
It was the Docks thread that Sludge started that got me thinking back to the IOTR..

William Treseder
15-10-23, 19:34
Millers Tavern ?
No. Different boozer mate.

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-10-23, 19:37
No. Different boozer mate.

That's flats now isn't it ?

Inn on the river was right on the river , further down ?

William Treseder
15-10-23, 19:42

👍

Heathblue
15-10-23, 20:01
I worked opposite on the other side of the river, over there on Sundays to watch the bands whilst on double bubble, it was maddasa most of the time

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-10-23, 20:34
Red Beans And Rice

Big Windsor ?

Tuerto
15-10-23, 20:46
Red Beans And Rice

Big Windsor ?

Rice and Peas.

goats
15-10-23, 21:01
It was the Docks thread that Sludge started that got me thinking back to the IOTR..

Is it still open? Know a few that used to frequent that place….

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-10-23, 21:17
Rice and Peas.

Cardiff band , named after a Caribbean dish

RichardM
15-10-23, 21:47
Red Beans And Rice

Big Windsor ?

I saw them in London, where I lived at the time, late 70s or early 80s. Brilliant band. Bought their album and still it now and again.

MacAdder
15-10-23, 22:20
Decent place always packed on a Sunday 12 til 2 then all day hours killed the pub trade

Time Out 🎷

SLUDGE FACTORY
15-10-23, 22:41
I saw them in London, where I lived at the time, late 70s or early 80s. Brilliant band. Bought their album and still it now and again.

Quite bluesy if I remember

RichardM
16-10-23, 05:05
Quite bluesy if I remember
Yes, more R'n'B I'd say

the other bob wilson
16-10-23, 05:46
Used to have a mini Saturday night pub crawl in the late eighties and nineties which would start at the Tudor, then on the Millers before finishing up at the Westgate or Wyndham - would occasionally go to the pub on the mud as a first port of call as well. Always liked the Inn on the River and would gladly have stayed there all night.

Odd that the only one out of the five pubs I mention that is still open is the one that was the biggest dump or has the Tudor closed as well since I moved away?

AdrianAlston
16-10-23, 06:49
Millers Tavern ?

That was the Coldstream.

The Inn on the River used to sponsor a 7's team at the Aberaeron 7's every year during 70's and 80's. I've got a feeling that they won it once or twice. Cordle, Bishop and the Ford brothers used to play for them.

pipster
16-10-23, 06:56
Or the pub on the mud.

The Karrots were from Bridgend I believe - and a great band - technically very very good.

poc
16-10-23, 07:40

you got it:thumbup:

Sunnysideup
16-10-23, 07:57
I’ve got fond memories of the Inn on the River
When I moved to Cardiff in 1991 it became my local
I met my wife there and we’ve been together over 30 years
Shame it closed down but most of the pubs in Grangetown have gone over the years ☹️

A Quiet Monkfish
16-10-23, 08:14
Remember Bob the manager. Also their chilli con carne at lunchtimes..

Grievous Angel
16-10-23, 08:20
Decent place always packed on a Sunday 12 til 2 then all day hours killed the pub trade

Time Out 🎷

I was friendly with BK for a while and saw Time Out at the Inn one Sunday lunchtime - probably late 80s. I've still got an audio cassette of one of their albums. :thumbup:

splott parker
16-10-23, 10:50
Used to have a mini Saturday night pub crawl in the late eighties and nineties which would start at the Tudor, then on the Millers before finishing up at the Westgate or Wyndham - would occasionally go to the pub on the mud as a first port of call as well. Always liked the Inn on the River and would gladly have stayed there all night.

Odd that the only one out of the five pubs I mention that is still open is the one that was the biggest dump or has the Tudor closed as well since I moved away?

The Royal Tudor is long gone:

goats
16-10-23, 15:51
The Royal Tudor is long gone:

Does Riverside have my pubs?

Sunnysideup
16-10-23, 17:48
The Westgate is now a home
Millers Tavern has been turned into flats
The Mitre is converted into flats
Nos Da couldn’t be called a pub but you could enjoy a beer in the outside terrace looking over the river,that’s now shut down
The Wells has gone
I’m not sure if the Riverside Cons is still going?
That only leaves the Rockin’ Chair where Raja’s used to be
It’s a Jamaican restaurant/bar
I’ve eaten in there a few times and been to several parties there
Is the Parachute Club still going?
The Ninian’s a Chinese Restaurant and the bus drivers club on Tudor Road has shut
So NO
There’s no pubs left in Riverside
There’s also a long list of pubs that have closed down in Grangetown ☹️

light up the darkness
16-10-23, 18:11

I only ever went in there after a lot of beer. Alcohol fuelled courage used to open a lot of doors

ToTaL ITK
16-10-23, 18:16
Cardiff band , named after a Caribbean dish

saw them loads of times. life of riley

light up the darkness
16-10-23, 18:17
Was in there for the queens silver jubilee

Big Frankie Humphries picked up a very large piece of tree trunk that was being used as seating outside and threw it. It hit me of the boys, we were very drunk and it didn’t seem to have much of an effect until we saw the lad a week later and his back was black and blue where said wood had struck

Ah fond memories. Just glad it wasn’t me on the receiving end.

Heathblue
16-10-23, 19:01
Rice and Peas.

I was trying to think of some other bands I saw there, Red Hot Pokers spring to mind but that might have been at the Poets Corner in City road, used to go there on occasions.

goats
16-10-23, 19:16
Does Riverside have my pubs?

Meant any pubs

the other bob wilson
17-10-23, 04:00
See question number 3 in this quiz.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67090687

BLUETIT
17-10-23, 07:02
Z

Link doesn’t work on iPhone

MacAdder
17-10-23, 08:39

Q3 is about a bear when I looked but I assme it's this you are referring to as it seems more relevant, asks which pub has closed the most pubs in a choice of three including London:

"It’s Wales, which saw 52 pubs close in the first six months of 2023. London and the North West lost 46 each. Figures showed that 230 pubs called last orders for the final time in the three months to 30 June - an increase over the previous quarter when 153 shut down. A total of 386 pubs disappeared throughout the whole of 2022. After struggling through Covid the industry is having to deal with soaring running costs and energy bills as well as the Cost-of-Living crisis hitting customers. Campaigners have called for planning laws to change to protect pubs."

tomcat
17-10-23, 11:00
I was friendly with BK for a while and saw Time Out at the Inn one Sunday lunchtime - probably late 80s. I've still got an audio cassette of one of their albums. :thumbup:
Brian the bass player was a lovely bloke, used to chat to him regularly. Also used to spend a lot of time in PCs at the time. My mate Roger Knight (rip) owned and ran Whatsappening free magazine and I'd often write a live music column. Band Bamboo from Newport were brilliant

tforturton
17-10-23, 18:30
I played a couple of times at the Inn on the River, back in the day (80-90s). It was tough to get a decent night in that place, as it was always Red Beens and Rice, the Madassa Soul Band, or Fire Down Below. All fine bands, mind.

Jimmy the Jock
17-10-23, 18:45
I was trying to think of some other bands I saw there, Red Hot Pokers spring to mind but that might have been at the Poets Corner in City road, used to go there on occasions.

Pub on the mud was a top place for a Sunday afternoon refreshment then on to was it Babs? for further refreshments .You could drink all day if you knew where to frequent.
I worked in PC,s when i first came to Cardiff , collecting glasses, my little sister was a barmaid . I remember sitting in the cellar supping a bottle of Stella , listening to "My home town " blasting out , feeling quite homesick....:hehe:

Jimmy the Jock
17-10-23, 18:48
Brian the bass player was a lovely bloke, used to chat to him regularly. Also used to spend a lot of time in PCs at the time. My mate Roger Knight (rip) owned and ran Whatsappening free magazine and I'd often write a live music column. Band Bamboo from Newport were brilliant

What was the name of the lady that owned Pcs ? Had an Israeli boyfriend.

NYCBlue
18-10-23, 11:48
Or the pub on the mud.

Went there occasionally on Sundays. Why was it always Sundays?

life on mars
18-10-23, 11:50
Or the pub on the mud.

Yes many nights ,loved Sunday Jazz , Grangetown was a great place to pub crawl around ,great characters .. you know Wilco ?

Joe Gillis
20-10-23, 06:47

Time Out 🎷

12-2, best drink of the week. Packed pub then home for my mam's dinner at 3!