PDA

View Full Version : Erol Bulut to consider his future after sending strong message to the board

the other bob wilson
20-01-24, 17:23
Don’t think there can be any confusion now about what the manager is thinking.

Eric the Half a Bee
20-01-24, 17:24
Clearly very frustrated at the lack of signings, maybe suggesting if things don't change with the board he'll consider his own future.

Eric the Half a Bee
20-01-24, 17:25

If he was to walk, how damning would that be for Tan, Dalman etc?

Mr Soul '68
20-01-24, 17:27

If he was to walk, what decent manager would want to come here? Even a half decent manager

Tuerto
20-01-24, 17:30

In what respect?

2b2bdoo
20-01-24, 17:32
Can’t blame him, he has faults but that’s a poor squad of players he has to chose from, have any of them got any kind of scoring record other than Grant a few years ago.

How is Purse doing with the U23s

Citizen's Nephew
20-01-24, 17:32

I don't think they care.

Bobby Dandruff
20-01-24, 17:33

What did he say, for those of us who didn’t hear?

Der Kaiser
20-01-24, 17:33
What did he say?

Moodybluebird
20-01-24, 17:45
Clearly very frustrated at the lack of signings, maybe suggesting if things don't change with the board he'll consider his own future.

Did he actually say he is maybe considering his future or is that your slant on it ?

dandywarhol
It's , coming up on Call Rob now

Undercoverinwurzelland
How is Purse doing with the U23s
Absolute shite, so he'll probably get the job.

WJ99mobile
20-01-24, 17:46
Can’t manage the players he’s got

2b2bdoo
20-01-24, 17:47
Absolute shite, so he'll probably get the job.

Of course he will lol

insider
20-01-24, 17:47
Why hasn't set up 2nd half for 1 nil
****ing useless

dandywarhol
20-01-24, 17:48
Being repeated after 6

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 17:50
a link???

Bobby Dandruff
20-01-24, 17:52

Being repeated after 6

Can’t someone just summarise in one sentence what he said?

Dave Blue
20-01-24, 17:53

He needn’t walk, a taxi could be arranged.

Maurice Swan

Even in a paragraph would be good...

the other bob wilson

No, there was too much.

It’ll be on social media soon.

Undercoverinwurzelland
20-01-24, 17:54
Listen from 3hrs 17

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001vj0d

Trigger
20-01-24, 17:56
Did he actually say he is maybe considering his future or is that your slant on it ?

Don't think he said that directly but it's also how I interpreted it. It's harder with his slightly broken English and probably not wanting to be too blatant about it.

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 18:06
Listen from 3hrs 17

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001vj0d

Just listened to that....wow....is really pissed off. with lack of support from above and around.....he won't be here very long by the sound of it....and really who can blame him.
Wish the interviewer had asked why he does not play SOME youth team players instead of the usual failed players.

Undercoverinwurzelland
20-01-24, 18:09
Just listened to that....wow....is really pissed off. with lack of support from above and around.....he won't be here very long by the sound of it....and really who can blame him.
Wish the interviewer had asked why he does not play SOME youth team players instead of the usual failed players.
We're not going to move forward whilst Tan, Dalman and Choo are here.

Der Kaiser
20-01-24, 18:14

Think we can with Tan.. Dalman and Choo need to go immediately.

Moodybluebird
20-01-24, 18:15
The chairman needs to give Bulut tĥe dreaded vote of confidence or at least appease the fans by confirming the owner will back him to strengthen the side and not allow the club to stagnate any further.

It will be interesting though to find out how Dalman and Tan react to Bulut's interview and whether there will be a backlash to his comments.

Dave Blue
20-01-24, 18:15

Interviewers are dreadful. Every Bulut interview is vague and meaningless. No pointed questions on tactics/decisions. How can he be trusted to bring in what’s needed?

Blooburd
20-01-24, 18:29
Think we can with Tan.. Dalman and Choo need to go immediately.

This 100%.

Tan has been great to us and even keeps an interest and visits the club. However, Dalman and Choo are responsible for choosing the manager and the balancing of the books. I still dont understand how Choo wasnt sacked following the malky wage fiasco

Michael Morris
20-01-24, 18:31
Cardiff City boss Erol Bulut said he could leave the Championship club and "doesn't know" if he wants to stay on unless the club make signings.

A 3-1 defeat at Plymouth has seen Cardiff slip to 14th in the table, six points off the play-off places.

Bulut has called for signings for weeks and has now said he is considering his future with the club.

"I am not happy with many things," he said. I have to decide about myself and the future with the club."

"I will make a decision about that.

"I have to maybe make a decision for myself on how my future will go with the club, because I came here to change some things in a positive way.

"I don't know (if will continue until the end of the season), I don't know."

Cardiff named former Fenerbahce boss Bulut as their manager in June but he is warning that signings this January are integral as to whether he will remain with the club.

"From my side I can tell you that some things have to change. If not, [it is] not possible to continue like that," he told BBC Radio Wales Sport.

When asked, 'what has to change?' he replied: "Everything."

Bulut says he will have discussions with the Cardiff board and seek assurances signings are coming, but says the the Bluebirds will struggle without reinforcements.

"I will speak to the board clearly about everything that has to change," he said.

"We now have two weeks until the next game and I think from now everything can change.

"I don't know about signings. I spoke about that. We are too late with many things.

"We tried to change many things, but alone you cannot do nothing.

"So we have to make many changes and if this is not changing, we will have big problems until the end of the season.

"Everyone knows (we need players), I know it, the board knows it, the fans know it, all of us, we know it.

"We have worked hard to come to this position… until now we've only been three points off the play-offs, but now we cannot speak about the play-offs, now we must speak about different things.

"If we don't get signings? We will have to fight with what we have, but we will have hard weeks and months in front of us."

Cardiff's players were booed by their travelling fans at Home Park and Bulut said he understood the frustration.

"I can understand the frustration of the fans, I am frustrated also," he added.

"But I have some things in my hands to change something and some things I don't have in my hands to change it."

NYCBlue
20-01-24, 18:32

They're not up to it. We want them to succeed because they're young and Welsh. But none of them can make a difference. Tan has completely ****ED this club. He's been played, by manager after manager. And now he now he's tightening his belt. He probably thinks he learned his lesson, but he's learned nothing. It just gets worse and worse.

NYCBlue
20-01-24, 18:33

This.

Moodybluebird
It's quite obvious that Bulut feels he's been led up the garden path by the chairman and/or owner. Unless he's gets at least a couple of the players he wants in the next 2 weeks he'll be off as soon as his contract expires.

bluesp
Link to the text, rather than copy and paste:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68044092

Undercoverinwurzelland
20-01-24, 18:35
This 100%.

Tan has been great to us and even keeps an interest and visits the club. However, Dalman and Choo are responsible for choosing the manager and the balancing of the books. I still dont understand how Choo wasnt sacked following the malky wage fiasco
Tan could have brought in people who have half an idea how to run a football club at any time over the last 14 years though. It seems like we're just treading water while he waits for the right time for him to get out.

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 18:37
They're not up to it. We want them to succeed because they're young and Welsh. But none of them can make a difference. Tan has completely ****ED this club. He's been played, by manager after manager. And now he now he's tightening his belt. He probably thinks he learned his lesson, but he's learned nothing. It just gets worse and worse.

How do you know they are not good enough unless they are given the opportunity...and not just for the odd game? They cannot do much worse than the deadwood that is played week in week out. For me, the turning point today was when Tanner was replaced by Romeo. Romeo wasn't awful, and Tanner was not pulling up any trees - and was in effect being asked to play auxiliary full back - not his skill set. But it was completely negative and sent a strong signal to the opposition that hey...we are going try try and hang on and nick something.

RichardM
20-01-24, 18:40
Tan could have brought in people who have half an idea how to run a football club at any time over the last 14 years though. It seems like we're just treading water while he waits for the right time for him to get out.

You'd think that Dalman and Choo would have learnt how to run a football club by now.

Citizen's Nephew
20-01-24, 18:40

:thumbup:

bobh
20-01-24, 18:42

Unfortunately, Tan has an inflated idea of what the club is worth, having spent (badly) a shedload in the past, he thinks he can break even r even sell at a profit - both of which are fantasies.

NYCBlue
20-01-24, 18:45
How do you know they are not good enough unless they are given the opportunity...and not just for the odd game? They cannot do much worse than the deadwood that is played week in week out. For me, the turning point today was when Tanner was replaced by Romeo. Romeo wasn't awful, and Tanner was not pulling up any trees - and was in effect being asked to play auxiliary full back - not his skill set. But it was completely negative and sent a strong signal to the opposition that hey...we are going try try and hang on and nick something.

PM me. I'll give you $100 if any of our current crop of hown grown players ever plays 90 minutes in the PL.

Der Kaiser
20-01-24, 18:46

How would we know that? They're never given a chance.

Der Kaiser
20-01-24, 18:47
PM me. I'll give you $100 if any of our current crop of hown grown players ever plays 90 minutes in the PL.

Does this include Biancheri? I'll take you up on that if so.

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 18:50
Name your list of players you don't think will make it....! And also over what timescale, and whether at City or elsewhere....

Doucas
20-01-24, 18:52
Wouldn't blame Bulut if he walked, he was clearly promised players this month and the board haven't delivered.

the other bob wilson
20-01-24, 18:53
Name your list of players you don't think will make it....! Whether here or elsewhere....Biacheri and recently Lewis Benjamin looks promising for Wolves.

Charlie Crew at Leeds, but it’s significant that it’s players who have left the club that have been named.

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 18:55
Charlie Crew at Leeds, but it’s significant that it’s players who have left the club that have been named.

...yes..and one has to ask why.....yes the higher profile clubs come calling, but we should recognise he potential and tie them in.

NYCBlue
20-01-24, 19:00
PM me. I'll give you $100 if any of our current crop of home grown players ever plays 90 minutes in the PL.

Does not include players that have already moved on. And the bet is between myself and Maurice.

Nobody's Rep
20-01-24, 19:02
...yes..and one has to ask why.....yes the higher profile clubs come calling, but we should recognise he potential and tie them in.

Weren't they if an age where we couldn't tie them in or am I just dreaming that??

Joe Gillis
20-01-24, 19:05
Re signings... 'we are too late'.

Moodybluebird
20-01-24, 19:05
Don't think he said that directly but it's also how I interpreted it. It's harder with his slightly broken English and probably not wanting to be too blatant about it.

I got round to listening to the interview and it couldn't be more obvious that he feels let down and will be off unless the board back him this month.

Citizen's Nephew
20-01-24, 19:08
How would we know that? They're never given a chance.

I don't think that's true tbh. And it's damned if you do damned if you don't as a manager. Bulut is a pro. The players at his disposal are pros. But it has been said many times, how long to you wait? How old does a player need to be? How many excuses can be found from growth spurts to, 'he's still learning?'. Sure, Bulut didn't play the new lads today. But c'mon. He's entitled to expect a better performance from the others. And for those who say 'how much worse can it get?' It can get a lot worse.

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 19:11
Does not include players that have already moved on. And the bet is between myself and Maurice.

Aree with that....name the current list and timescales to make it to 90 mins in PL.

ccfcbluebird
20-01-24, 19:15
A frustrated Cardiff City manager appeared to send a strong message to Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan and the board to back him in the transfer window or he'll have to re-evaluate his future at the club

https://nation.cymru/sport/everything-has-to-change-erol-bulut-fires-message-to-the-board/

Erol Bulut appeared to question his future at Cardiff City in an interview with Radio Wales.

Speaking to football reporter Mark Poyser after witnessing his side beaten 3-1 by Plymouth at Home Park, he expressed his dissatisfaction with the way things are going at the club.

Almost three weeks into the January transfer window and Cardiff are yet to make signing, something which is understandably frustrating the manager.

“I am not happy with many things,” he said. I have to decide about myself and the future with the club.”

“I will make a decision about that,” he added.

“I have to maybe make a decision for myself on how my future will go with the club, because I came here to change some things in a positive way.

“I don’t know (if will continue until the end of the season), I don’t know.”

He continued “Everyone knows (we need players), I know it, the board knows it, the fans know it, all of us, we know it.

“We have worked hard to come to this position… until now we’ve only been three points off the play-offs, but now we cannot speak about the play-offs, now we must speak about different things.

“If we don’t get signings? We will have to fight with what we have, but we will have hard weeks and months in front of us.”

As for the game, Bulut reckoned his side stopped playing after taking the lead.

He said: “It is not the first time that I have been disappointed, the fans are disappointed.

“They are right because today we had the game in our hands, we started well and were leading 1-0 but after that the game is not finished.

“We stopped playing and the result was we lost 3-1. We had some changes but we didn’t score again, there was too many individual mistakes in different situations and they (Plymouth) scored from those mistakes.

“The game is not only 31 minutes, it is 95 minutes.

“We can speak about having only 15/16 players available, we had 11 players on the pitch so we have to do everything. We stopped after scoring the goal and it is not easy after that.

“We had similar problems in other games, we have to be more aggressive, we have been more aggressive and won games and the last two games – Leeds and today – was not like that.

“I don’t have players outside to replace them and they are getting tired, I don’t have anyone on the bench to make that change in defence. My players are doing their best and it is not enough.”

Pilgrims boss Ian Foster urged Plymouth to look up the table after claiming his first Championship win as Argyle head coach.

Argyle soared to 15th on the back of two goals by Scottish striker Ryan Hardie, who also set up top scorer Morgan Whittaker for his 15th Championship goal of the season, after Cardiff had taken a 10th-minute lead through Perry Ng.

Foster said: “We expected a difficult game and they always are, they are tight at this level. You have seen the results in the league today. There is never an easy game.

“The message to the players was to claw these (Cardiff) back. I think they were six places and seven points above us. If it becomes 10 it’s almost impossible. It’s four now.

“I am really pleased with the players because there was evidence again today that they are taking on the information we are giving to them.

“I have been (in post) two weeks yesterday so we have not had that many sessions, four players very new to the football club on the pitch today and two of them have only had very limited time with the group.

“A lot of positives today but a game I thoroughly thought we deserved to win.

“We don’t want to be looking over our shoulders, we want to be looking up at the next team and that’s how we did it today.

“We looked at these and said ‘let’s get these back’ and that’s our challenge.

“Cardiff are the next team above us, four points, and we have got to bridge that gap as soon as possible.

“I am happy. It’s really challenging, I knew it would be. I am really enjoying it.”

Pedro de la Rosa
20-01-24, 19:20
He's done. The more I think about it, him staying is impossible. For a kick off, who the hell is going to want to sign for us now? For a manager who doesn't want to be here/might not be here next week. He's made a bad situation worse. Tan also won't like it. Tan and Dalman are killing the club but I'm not exactly heartbroken about Bulut. Bulut is doing the same thing over and over again, and we lose over and over again. We miss Ramsey, well no shit. I'd get some results with a fit Aaron Ramsey. He needs to earn his corn when the chips are down, and he's practically given up.

Re the young players, they literally cannot be less effective than the midfielders we've been playing. If they're that bad, why are they contracted to 2027 and 2028? Joel Colwill and Ashford should play, what's the worst case scenario? We lose 4-1? It's OK, Adams will be back soon, so he can come in and we can play Wintle at 10.

LA Bluebird
20-01-24, 19:45
Nobody knows what was agreed between Bulut and the board but equally, he surely knew he was coming into a club under a transfer embargo that had stayed up the year before due to the last minute intervention of an experienced manager, with an owner who hasn't been willing to spend big money for quite some time. And that previous manager had in all probability walked away because of the lack of ambition and basic long term planning he saw at the club.

I don't think he's a close to a great manager, he's the best we have had in a while but equally, I can't say that giving him carte blanche to sign aging players on massive wages like some of the names we've been linked with in a desperate attempt to stay somewhere in the top half of the table is the right approach either. Ultimately the club needs to be run far better from top to bottom or I'm not sure it makes a massive amount of difference which manager of the week we have.

Maurice Swan
20-01-24, 19:50
So two managers.....Labouchi and now Bulut decry the lack of planning and ambition. If (when) Bulut goes - who on earth of any status would want to come here?

Eric the Half a Bee
20-01-24, 19:54
He's done. The more I think about it, him staying is impossible. For a kick off, who the hell is going to want to sign for us now? For a manager who doesn't want to be here/might not be here next week. He's made a bad situation worse. Tan also won't like it. Tan and Dalman are killing the club but I'm not exactly heartbroken about Bulut. Bulut is doing the same thing over and over again, and we lose over and over again. We miss Ramsey, well no shit. I'd get some results with a fit Aaron Ramsey. He needs to earn his corn when the chips are down, and he's practically given up.

Re the young players, they literally cannot be less effective than the midfielders we've been playing. If they're that bad, why are they contracted to 2027 and 2028? Joel Colwill and Ashford should play, what's the worst case scenario? We lose 4-1? It's OK, Adams will be back soon, so he can come in and we can play Wintle at 10.

I said something similar to my boy about an hour ago. The criticism of the board alone will have gone down very badly and I expect Bulut to be told to walk the plank.

A Quiet Monkfish
20-01-24, 19:55
I've no idea what really goes on behind the scenes, but I'd be willing to guess Tan has had second thoughts about a 'push' for the play offs [which was totally unrealistic anyway], and reckons that with the existing squad and Ramsey on the way back City have another Championship season secured. Perhaps by next August the club may have had some more financial success with the Sala case and the club will be ripe for selling..

Eric the Half a Bee
20-01-24, 19:56
So two managers.....Labouchi and now Bulut decry the lack of planning and ambition. If (when) Bulut goes - who on earth of any status would want to come here?

Egos. Any young, aspiring manager who thinks he could do a job here despite everything would have a go for the money involved.

For the money we've spent paying off managers, we could have signed Ronaldo.

The Bloop
20-01-24, 19:56
I'm presuming that, 3 weeks into our first transfer window for a while where we could spend some money, Bulut is getting little from above in terms of money or freedom to commit money to anyone.

J R Hartley
20-01-24, 19:58
He’s trying to get the sack and his contract paid up

LA Bluebird
20-01-24, 20:02
I'm presuming that, 3 weeks into our first transfer window for a while where we could spend some money, Bulut is getting little from above in terms of money or freedom to commit money to anyone.

Realistically though, how much money would we have to commit to be a playoff team? How much more to be a side that could actually have a shot at getting through the playoffs or have the slightest hope of having something to build on to try and stay up? We'd be looking at at least 6-8 players in my opinion - is that ever realistic in January and more importantly, has Bulut shown he's the manager to be trusted with that kind of investment?

Blooburd
20-01-24, 20:02
A frustrated Cardiff City manager appeared to send a strong message to Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan and the board to back him in the transfer window or he'll have to re-evaluate his future at the club

https://nation.cymru/sport/everything-has-to-change-erol-bulut-fires-message-to-the-board/

reeks of "you cant fire me! i quit!"

hope he goes asap

Undercoverinwurzelland
20-01-24, 20:03
You'd think that Dalman and Choo would have learnt how to run a football club by now.
Obviously don't learn from their mistakes.

Blooburd
20-01-24, 20:11
He’s trying to get the sack and his contract paid up

sounds plausible. Wouldnt be the first manager to use that tictac

Alfresco
20-01-24, 20:20
Tan don't trust Bulut with the war chest and no one can blame him.

ccfcwelshlad
20-01-24, 20:37
My take on this is they've promised Bulut a number of players in January of significant quality. Utter naivety/stupidity because January is a tough month for any deals, never mind of top quality deals. No idea what January transfer windows were like in Turkey, but potentially naivety from Bulut too. I was under the impression that we had a number of deals 'in-hand' but also these were reliant on other movement, so would take time.

As for today's shitshow, that's on Bulut and the players. Why we made that change at HT is beyond me, we were solid if unspectacular first half. We ended the game with our 'width' coming from JC and Romeo, with Bowler and Grant playing through the middle and Colwill playing in a deep midfield role. That's on Bulut.

However, that doesn't excuse the players just looking like they couldn't be arsed. Obviously example, every throw in took an age from us, no movement, eventually thrown in after 15 seconds just to lose the ball again. Every Plymouth throw in had numerous options and was back in play going forward within seconds. That's not Buluts fault.

Interesting couple of days ahead.

Undercoverinwurzelland
20-01-24, 20:49
So apart from the owner, the chairman, the manager and the players, I'd say we're all pretty happy with the state of play.

D. Advocaat
20-01-24, 20:51
My take on this is they've promised Bulut a number of players in January of significant quality. Utter naivety/stupidity because January is a tough month for any deals, never mind of top quality deals. No idea what January transfer windows were like in Turkey, but potentially naivety from Bulut too. I was under the impression that we had a number of deals 'in-hand' but also these were reliant on other movement, so would take time.

As for today's shitshow, that's on Bulut and the players. Why we made that change at HT is beyond me, we were solid if unspectacular first half. We ended the game with our 'width' coming from JC and Romeo, with Bowler and Grant playing through the middle and Colwill playing in a deep midfield role. That's on Bulut.

However, that doesn't excuse the players just looking like they couldn't be arsed. Obviously example, every throw in took an age from us, no movement, eventually thrown in after 15 seconds just to lose the ball again. Every Plymouth throw in had numerous options and was back in play going forward within seconds. That's not Buluts fault.

Interesting couple of days ahead.

Every throw in seemed to take an age- it's as if the players don't know what they're supposed to be doing. The team is a mess and Bulut has to take responsibility for that.

The club desperately needs some managerial stability, but Bulut has to get his act together sharpish before we get sucked into a relegation fight, because as things stand that's exactly where we're heading.

JumpersforGoalposts
20-01-24, 20:52
With a two week gap to the next game it is clearly back him or sack him time.

llan bluebird
20-01-24, 21:05
We were Sory Kaba and Reading away from L1 last season. We couldn't sort out the lack of quality due to an embargo, it's plain as day this squad is not good enough. Pep or Klopp couldn't do anything with this lot in the championship, it's predominately an L1 squad and probably not a great one there either.

Etette, Collins & Tanner are lucky to be in the EFL let alone the championship. It's not their fault they were gambles, but how many of our peer group would have so many poor players as starters?

I think he walks or he gets a three-year deal. This window isn't going to make us contenders. I think it's about the plan or lack of it and that's what the battle is. Short or long term vision

The Hooded Claw
20-01-24, 21:21
All this instability and apparent lack of a) a plan and b) preparation for this transfer window takes us full circle back to the urgent need to appoint a Sporting Director.

Jordi Culé
20-01-24, 22:17
reeks of "you cant fire me! i quit!"

hope he goes asap

It'll be great when the prodigal son returns to City.

Welcome back Steve Morison!

ToTaL ITK
20-01-24, 23:32
If he does go ...the same names will be out there and none of you will want any of them.

Blooburd
20-01-24, 23:41
If he does go ...the same names will be out there and none of you will want any of them.

when things are bad..better to take a lottery ticket and pray for better than just sucking it up and knowing it wont get better

pipster
21-01-24, 00:18
If he quits - who can blame him. I cant.
Tan / Choo / Mehmet - this is a problem of their own making. To be honest after 45 years of going Im thinking of knocking it on the head, I cant justify spending the money and putting in someone elses pocket.
I'll give it till the end of the season, if Bullut goes I'll do the same

jon1959
21-01-24, 03:19
This feels like a toxic mix of frustration, naivety and gamesmanship from both Bulut and the board.

My view a few months back was that the jury should still be out on Bulut. I think that is still the position.

He seems to be more of a real manager than many of our recent team bosses - but the scorecard is mixed.

He has overperformed up to the beginning of December. Since then it has been the opposite.

Has he impressed with team selection, match tactics or substitutions? Mixed picture.

Has he improved players through his coaching team? Not much evidence of that.

Has he led the club, provided a vision and direction for the team, and created a relationship with the fans? Again a mixed picture. He does appear to over promise and under deliver, but that is part of the ‘honesty’ that excites WOL so much.

Has he brought through u21s? He has said the right things and put some of them on the bench but not gone the next step. Disappointing!

Has he been a success with transfers in/out and team building. Not yet - but probably not his fault.

No reason for knee jerk optimism about a play off push and no real danger of relegation (not yet anyway) and for me that represents progress.

Still work in progress. Some good, some bad. May turn out to be our best manager for 40:years. Could be a Turkey!

EastbourneBlue
21-01-24, 07:09
If he quits - who can blame him. I cant.
Tan / Choo / Mehmet - this is a problem of their own making. To be honest after 45 years of going Im thinking of knocking it on the head, I cant justify spending the money and putting in someone elses pocket.
I'll give it till the end of the season, if Bullut goes I'll do the same

I find it hard to believe that Bulut was promised great riches to bring in players. We have been hard up for a long, long time and that is unlikely to ever change.

I suspect he was told there would be limited funding to bring in some better players - and I still believe that is true. It’s not easy, though, as we are finding.

For me, Bulut can see the direction of travel and is panicking, know full well his time in Britain could be over before it began if things don’t get better. I don’t think that reflects particularly well on him.

the other bob wilson
21-01-24, 07:49
This feels like a toxic mix of frustration, naivety and gamesmanship from both Bulut and the board.

My view a few months back was that the jury should still be out on Bulut. I think that is still the position.

He seems to be more of a real manager than many of our recent team bosses - but the scorecard is mixed.

He has overperformed up to the beginning of December. Since then it has been the opposite.

Has he impressed with team selection, match tactics or substitutions? Mixed picture.

Has he led the club, provided a vision and direction for the team, and created a relationship with the fans? Again a mixed picture. He does appear to over promise and under deliver, but that is part of the ‘honesty’ that excites WOL so much.

Has he brought through u21s? He has said the right things and put some of them on the bench but not gone the next step. Disappointing!

Has he been a success with transfers in/out and team building. Not yet - but probably not his fault.

No reason for knee jerk optimism about a play off push and no real danger of relegation (not yet anyway) and for me that represents progress.

Still work in progress. Some good, some bad. May turn out to be our best manager for 40:years. Could be a Turkey!

I'd say that's a fair summing up Jon. Unfortunately, I don't see how this can end well - we all know what Tan is like when he thinks he's been wronged and he's not going to like Bulut being so, um, frank with his words. On the other hand, what Bulut said yesterday hardly came across as the words of someone desperate to stay and it could be that even if Tan makes conciliatory noises, our manager could still go anyway. With Bulut being very much Mehmet Dalman's man, our Chairman's not coming out of this well, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels somewhat let down by Bulut, while being given a reminder of how little real power he wields at City.

For me, Bulut has been a bit naive in expecting early signings. It may be that such things are quite common in Turkish transfer windows, but, traditionally, in this country, they tend to come late in a rush in the January one in particular. That said, the club chose to issue a statement through the Trust (surely no one thinks Keith was making a pitch to become the new Carl :xmashehe:)which spoke of signings to come next week - the fact that they did not materialise would give Bulut some justification in feeling frustrated and annoyed I'd say.

Stanmore Bluebird
21-01-24, 08:24
Tan is still focused upon going after money for the Sala loss. He probably isn’t that bothered about Erol Bulut and the manager’s position at the moment.

North Cardiff Blue
21-01-24, 08:25
Frustration bursting over, he's throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn't get the players he wanted, he's missed a few already and he was confident he was getting Moore. Add to that he didn't secure a contract extension and the existing players are not playing as well as they can it's getting too much for him. It's not a great time to throw a paddy, will Tan sanction his signings now he's just challenged him and the board?

They may decide to let him go and go with a new plan, like Jones, may try for Cooper (no chance) or end up with another waste of space.

personally i'd stick and patch things up, he's the best we are likely to get but it's not an easy problem to solve.

Interesting couple of weeks ahead!

JumpersforGoalposts
21-01-24, 08:25

Can't disagree with any of that, very well put.
Of course, what is also important is that we don't know what goes on between Bulut and his paymasters. Maybe he got what he wanted at the start of the season and claimed he could challenge for the play-offs. Maybe it was agreed there would be a transfer budget and new players for a promotion push in Jan. Only they know and if he's seen as underachieving then we may be "treading water" to the end of the season.

A Quiet Monkfish
21-01-24, 08:56
I've no idea what really goes on behind the scenes, but I'd be willing to guess Tan has had second thoughts about a 'push' for the play offs [which was totally unrealistic anyway], and reckons that with the existing squad and Ramsey on the way back City have another Championship season secured. Perhaps by next August the club may have had some more financial success with the Sala case and the club will be ripe for selling..

..and here is the elephant in the room:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-citys-nantes-damages-claim-28477920

I think Bulut, results, transfers, are a distant second at the moment..

Tuerto
21-01-24, 09:01

Good post, I go along with your sentiments. When people say that we were over achieving, it doesn't really give much insight into what was happening (initially) under Bulut. He was new, the players were finding their feet, there was an initial boost with a few of the signings. What Bulut implemented was organisation and hard work, shape, graft, a back three not left isolated and a narrow midfield. It was non risk and work, work, work. That took us so far. He did it because it was an essential tactic towards not exposing the frailties and abilities of out players, but, we also need that creative edge to compensate when the work rate and shape break down. We don't have those players, well we have one, but he's injured.

So in my opinion it's a case of a group of limited individuals crashing and the coach, his staff and the players not being able to implement a different style, because they're not good enough. I don't think it's complicated at all, We were just a hard working team, and that's an essential, but if we don't have the quality when that fails, we don't have anything. The style and tactics Bulut started with are gone, over, finished. We've been sussed out.

If anyone out there thinks that we can reinvent ourselves or believe that this group of players are going to improve creatively, add pace and intelligence to their game, then they'll be waiting forever. Maybe bulut and his staff aren't up to the job. I'm certain the players aren't. This lot are awful, it doesn't get better than the level they're at right now.

goats
21-01-24, 09:05
Tan don't trust Bulut with the war chest and no one can blame him.

What war chest? What happened to KM signing? When the hell is Rambo back? I guess we will just about stay up and go again….

Bobby Dandruff
21-01-24, 10:12
I'd say that's a fair summing up Jon. Unfortunately, I don't see how this can end well - we all know what Tan is like when he thinks he's been wronged and he's not going to like Bulut being so, um, frank with his words. On the other hand, what Bulut said yesterday hardly came across as the words of someone desperate to stay and it could be that even if Tan makes conciliatory noises, our manager could still go anyway. With Bulut being very much Mehmet Dalman's man, our Chairman's not coming out of this well, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels somewhat let down by Bulut, while being given a reminder of how little real power he wields at City.

For me, Bulut has been a bit naive in expecting early signings. It may be that such things are quite common in Turkish transfer windows, but, traditionally, in this country, they tend to come late in a rush in the January one in particular. That said, the club chose to issue a statement through the Trust (surely no one thinks Keith was making a pitch to become the new Carl :xmashehe:)which spoke of signings to come next week - the fact that they did not materialise would give Bulut some justification in feeling frustrated and annoyed I'd say.

True, although the summer transfer activity felt planned and thought through (unless I was blinded by the signing of Ramsey) with a view to building in January when we could actually spend money.

It felt like there was some sort of plan e.g. the long term pursuit of Moore.

Or has the recent dismal run of performances just derailed all of the above? Which would be very fickle and yet so Cardiff City.

2b2bdoo
21-01-24, 10:39
True, although the summer transfer activity felt planned and thought through (unless I was blinded by the signing of Ramsey) with a view to building in January when we could actually spend money.

It felt like there was some sort of plan e.g. the long term pursuit of Moore.

Or has the recent dismal run of performances just derailed all of the above? Which would be very fickle and yet so Cardiff City.

I tend to agree, I still think the recruitment in the summer was decent and better than I personally hoped for especially not being able to spend any transfer fees/loan fees, probably wiping off a huge chunk of the market. Ultimately we were never going to build a promotion pushing team under an embargo and despite the good effort at recruitment over the summer we are still a pretty poor squad especially losing players like ODowda and Ramsey for most the season so far.

Like you said the dream was to be in touching distance of the play offs come January 1st and then do some really recruitment, sadly that hasn’t materialised.

I keep seeing posts on X and some on here about expecting a top 6 finish etc, I don’t know how anyone would think that (are they?) with this squad. The hope was always to stay in touching distance and then add in January but it hasn’t happened.

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-01-24, 10:42
Give him money to sign Moore and a genuine goalscorer

We don't have a forward line of any note, Robinson , etete , etc all need to be moved on

Sign a couple of decent midfielders and forget about Ramsey and odowda coming back to save our arses , I just can't see much happening from them this season and Ramsey will probably quit in the summer

The pressure off rails wintle etc to hold the Fort will allow us to play with a bit of confidence

I don't blame bulut aside a few decisions the prime one signing the arsenal keeper disaster

SLUDGE FACTORY
21-01-24, 10:43
I tend to agree, I still think the recruitment in the summer was decent and better than I personally hoped for especially not being able to spend any transfer fees/loan fees, probably wiping off a huge chunk of the market. Ultimately we were never going to build a promotion pushing team under an embargo and despite the good effort at recruitment over the summer we are still a pretty poor squad especially losing players like ODowda and Ramsey for most the season so far.

Like you said the dream was to be in touching distance of the play offs come January 1st and then do some really recruitment, sadly that hasn’t materialised.

I keep seeing posts on X and some on here about expecting a top 6 finish etc, I don’t know how anyone would think that (are they?) with this squad. The hope was always to stay in touching distance and then add in January but it hasn’t happened.

One win out of this current bad form would have put us up to 8th

That's more than touching distance

bluemoon
21-01-24, 11:46
he will have been set the task of working with freebies, loan players that lets face it no one else in a better situation would want, some players would be happier to come here rather than a team in L1...

he will have enthusiasm to start off but in reality that soon wheres off, this is a business but when theres no player business being done its gutting... there will have obviously been 1 or 2 players already gone elsewehere
its a neither here nor there situation in this division where your obviously not competing and battling for progress out of this division...

PontBlue
21-01-24, 12:02

I'm starting to think our good start to the season was down to Ramsey making everyone around him look better and that gave the players confidence. Then when Ramsey got injured that confidence the other players had sustained us for a while. Then Bulut started favouring Runarson over Alnwick and things took a dive from then on.

I don't think Bulut is the right person to make the current crop of players and team's patterns of play better. Worringly the usual suspects of potential replacements are, in the main, worse.

Baloo
21-01-24, 12:28
A bit disappointing for me. He seems to be distancing himself from the performance of the team for reputation management reasons. At least that’s how it comes across to me, even if he has some valid complaints.

He may well have expected to bring in players, but he’s said himself we can’t compete with other clubs for some of this targets. So we’ll have to be more canny in the transfer market and not unrealistic.

I’m not sure what this type of language is doing to the spirit of a team already low in confidence, but deteriorating performances suggest not much.

J R Hartley
21-01-24, 12:29
Give him money to sign Moore and a genuine goalscorer

We don't have a forward line of any note, Robinson , etete , etc all need to be moved on

Sign a couple of decent midfielders and forget about Ramsey and odowda coming back to save our arses , I just can't see much happening from them this season and Ramsey will probably quit in the summer

The pressure off rails wintle etc to hold the Fort will allow us to play with a bit of confidence

I don't blame bulut aside a few decisions the prime one signing the arsenal keeper disaster
Are you stupid or just plain ignorant? There is no money and weve got your messiah Colin to thank for that.

If Bulut is not up for the challenge of working with what he’s got and improving players then get someone in who’s up for it.

All this pissing and whinging in public isn’t doing himself any favours. Like a btec Conte.

LA Bluebird
21-01-24, 12:32

Great post, totally agree with this. Then the question is, is it the right time and is he the right manager to hand a bunch of money to sign the kind of players he wants to get in, with the knowledge it could all go pear shaped on either side before the end of the year and we are left in another Solskjaer situation where we end up paying them to go away. I'm not sure it is, but you can understand why Bulut is frustrated as well.

WJ99mobile
21-01-24, 13:04
Tan is still focused upon going after money for the Sala loss. He probably isn’t that bothered about Erol Bulut and the manager’s position at the moment.

Any evidence for this wild statement

pipster
21-01-24, 13:12
Surprised Sludgey hasn’t blamed the situation on thatcher yet!! Or maybe it’s as a direct consequence not enough council housing and obviously brexit

Eric the Half a Bee
21-01-24, 13:58
I'm starting to think our good start to the season was down to Ramsey making everyone around him look better and that gave the players confidence. Then when Ramsey got injured that confidence the other players had sustained us for a while. Then Bulut started favouring Runarson over Alnwick and things took a dive from then on.

I don't think Bulut is the right person to make the current crop of players and team's patterns of play better. Worringly the usual suspects of potential replacements are, in the main, worse.

I literally thought the same thing while we were having lunch.

Some managers inspire and some give confidence. Bulut clearly isn't inspiring or giving his players confidence.

City123
21-01-24, 14:24
There's not a great deal we can do to stop them going though. Would you turn down Manchester United or Leeds as a teenager? The money alone would be enough for most of us, nevermind the access to better facilities/coaches etc

North Cardiff Blue
21-01-24, 14:35
We finally got a Manager after Harris, McCarthy, Morrison, and Hudson and we've no money left to back him, Tan's biggest mistake is trying to run the club without a Manager, this is where you end up!

It sounds like Bulut has been promised players and we've failed to land one!

PhyllisStant
21-01-24, 14:39

Exactly my thoughts. People often say football is a confidence game and losing Rambo and having a run of bad results has totally drained us,

I think also having a paper thin squad and no being able to rest or rotate anyone when they might have a niggle/ dip in form is a killer too.

We've see what can be done with some options so it is a board issue currently rather than a managerial one I think

LA Bluebird
21-01-24, 14:53
There's not a great deal we can do to stop them going though. Would you turn down Manchester United or Leeds as a teenager? The money alone would be enough for most of us, nevermind the access to better facilities/coaches etc

The teams who have been successful hanging onto young players when bigger teams come calling are the ones who show a clear pathway to first team football though. If you were a good young player and looked at the last 10 years would you stay at City... even this season when he's tried to get shot of players like Sawyers and Rino, had no interest even from leagues below and then continues to involve them in the squad and starting lineup over youngsters like King, Joel Colwill and Ashford. We don't help ourselves with this.

Pedro de la Rosa
21-01-24, 14:59
The teams who have been successful hanging onto young players when bigger teams come calling are the ones who show a clear pathway to first team football though. If you were a good young player and looked at the last 10 years would you stay at City... even this season when he's tried to get shot of players like Sawyers and Rino, had no interest even from leagues below and then continues to involve them in the squad and starting lineup over youngsters like King, Joel Colwill and Ashford. We don't help ourselves with this.

Southampton are losing their best players. Sunderland, too. They've got great academies and blood their players. That's not to say we can't improve, we definitely can but we are helpless when PL clubs come knocking.

Maurice Swan
21-01-24, 15:03
Southampton are losing their best players. Sunderland, too. They've got great academies and blood their players. That's not to say we can't improve, we definitely can but we are helpless when PL clubs come knocking.

Agree entirely. If they ARE free to move to a bigger club they would be very unlikely to get first team football for quite a while unless they were really exceptional (small fish in a big pond...). At teams like ours they SHOULD be able to see their way into the first team with consistent if not outstanding performances. Sadly that has not been the case for some time.

the other bob wilson
21-01-24, 15:27

Premier League sides are interested in City players who are about to be considered for Academy contracts at the age of 16, but when is the last time we had interest in a home produced player older than that from bigger clubs? The reason for this is that we’re so useless at bringing on talent once they get into their late teens and beyond.

Having watched all of the home games the under 21s have played this season and what he has done when he’s come on in Cup games for the first team, I really don’t know what more Joel Colwill can do to show he is ready for exposure to Championship football. One thing Rinomhotagives us is more mobility and stamina in central midfield, but Colwill can do that while offering more of a goal threat. However, it’s obvious that Bulut is not going to use him or Ashford in the first team in a league game - for Bulut you could read the same for the large majority of recent managers, is it any wonder our Academy has, largely been a waste of space in the last decade?

llan bluebird
21-01-24, 15:39
I don't think Bulut is angling for a pay off, it will consist of a might four months.

I do believe the Conte reference may be slightly relevant. Bulut hasn't been brought up in the English management system, he is used to the head coach role. Conte couldn't handle that he had to speak for the club whereas on the continent the Sporting Director or similar spoke for the transfer strategy or status. Conte lost it and said "ask Levy" one time as if WTF has that got to do with me.

Where are Choo or Dalman, we rarely hear from the owner but one of those needs to stand up. It's a very lonely place at the moment for EB.

The truth is all of little ole Plymouths front line was significantly better than ours and that's not EB fault.

Pedro de la Rosa
21-01-24, 15:39
Premier League sides are interested in City players who are about to be considered for Academy contracts at the age of 16, but when is the last time we had interest in a home produced player older than that from bigger clubs? The reason for this is that we’re so useless at bringing on talent once they get into their late teens and beyond.

Having watched all of the home games the under 21s have played this season and what he has done when he’s come on in Cup games for the first team, I really don’t know what more Joel Colwill can do to show he is ready for exposure to Championship football. One thing Rinomhotagives us is more mobility and stamina in central midfield, but Colwill can do that while offering more of a goal threat. However, it’s obvious that Bulut is not going to use him or Ashford in the first team in a league game - for Bulut you could read the same for the large majority of recent managers, is it any wonder our Academy has, largely been a waste of space in the last decade?

I'm not disagreeing with you but post Brexit it is going to very, very difficult to hold onto our best 15/16 year olds. We have used our youngsters well, both of those things are true. I'd have played Joel Colwill or Ashford yesterday. If they're miles off it, why have they got 5/4 year deals?

llan bluebird
21-01-24, 15:51

There is a huge step up from U-21 football to the championship, why over-face the kids. Etete is older, and from a higher grade U21 competition and is nowhere near championship level, why kill the kids? They need L2>L1 then championship and I believe thats what the plan is.

Surely Eli King is well ahead of Joel Colwill?

Pedro de la Rosa
21-01-24, 15:55
There is a huge step up from U-21 football to the championship, why over-face the kids. Etete is older, and from a higher grade U21 competition and is nowhere near championship level, why kill the kids? They need L2>L1 then championship and I believe thats what the plan is.

Etete isn't good enough, so why does he keep getting games? We know he isn't. We know Rino isn't, neither is Romeo etc. We keep playing players that aren't good enough but we'll never know how good our young players are if they don't play. This is dire stuff now, some of our senior players are so far out of their depth we might as well play some of the kids.

King is having a good loan season, this is what the loan system is there for. It's helped us, him and Morecambe (and hopefully now Ross County).

llan bluebird
21-01-24, 16:16
Etete isn't good enough, so why does he keep getting games? We know he isn't. We know Rino isn't, neither is Romeo etc. We keep playing players that aren't good enough but we'll never know how good our young players are if they don't play. This is dire stuff now, some of our senior players are so far out of their depth we might as well play some of the kids.

King is having a good loan season, this is what the loan system is there for. It's helped us, him and Morecambe (and hopefully now Ross County).

I can't think like a football manager as the metrics are totally different to my line of work.

But, it would be tough going into a company and saying to the MD "you know the senior staff you are paying £400~£600k salaries to are not very good (you recruited them) and i am going to promote the interns to do their job"

I would imagine the bloke who sanctioned the "best ever recruitment" would insist on you working your magic on them, or perhaps you are not all that after all

Pedro de la Rosa
21-01-24, 16:20
I can't think like a football manager as the metrics are totally different to my line of work.

But, it would be tough going into a company and saying to the MD "you know the senior staff you are paying £400~£600k salaries to are not very good (you recruited them) and i am going to promote the interns to do their job"

I would imagine the bloke who sanctioned the "best ever recruitment" would insist on you working your magic on them, or perhaps you are not all that after all

Tan is on record as saying he wants the kids to come through. Our best ever recruitment stinks. Everyone involved bar the board has gone. Our players are crap, that is obvious and any manager would have told that to Tan and Dalman. We have been circling the drain for 2 and a half seasons now.

the other bob wilson
21-01-24, 16:27

How come the wurzels constantly find players who can bridge the gap between under 21 and first team football, yet have never been able to establish any dominance over us at age group football in the near twenty years we’ve had an Academy? Bristol seem able to sell one, sometimes two, Academy produced youngster(s) to the Premier League for £10 million plus a season though - their attitude towards their Academy puts ours to shame.

Apart from pre season friendlies and the occasional under 21 international, I’ve not seen Eli King play this season, I’ve seen plenty of Joel Colwill though and I can’t believe he’d be worse than our first team midfielders if he was given a chance to establish himself in our Championship team.

llan bluebird
21-01-24, 16:44
How come the wurzels constantly find players who can bridge the gap between under 21 and first team football, yet have never been able to establish any dominance over us at age group football in the near twenty years we’ve had an Academy? Bristol seem able to sell one, sometimes two, Academy produced youngster(s) to the Premier League for £10 million plus a season though - their attitude towards their Academy puts ours to shame.

Apart from pre season friendlies and the occasional under 21 international, I’ve not seen Eli King play this season, I’ve seen plenty of Joel Colwill though and I can’t believe he’d be worse than our first team midfielders if he was given a chance to establish himself in our Championship team.

Are Bristol Cat A? If not how come they keep their schoolboys from the Cat A vultures

the other bob wilson
21-01-24, 17:14
Are Bristol Cat A? If not how come they keep their schoolboys from the Cat A vultures

No, we wouldn’t be playing them twice a season if they were category A. I’d say that the difference is that Bristol youngsters get into the first team, develop further in it and eventually become stand out performers in it - players can only do so much developing if they are limited to under 21 football and/or loaned out to League two teams or below.

Former Labour leader
21-01-24, 17:18
At the risk of repeating what others have said, Bulut showed his lack of understanding of the Championship with some of his early tactical decisions. He was lucky that we had Ramsey the first 6 games, and the free and loan rejects he had at his disposal performed above their usual ability at the start.
As time has gone on, these players have reverted to type, or have been found out, as has Bulut's tacticts.
The big question is with the addition of 3/4, will the team.play better, or has has Bulut been found out? Like most, I'm not sure, but I don't think giving Bulut the bullet at this stage would do anything for Cardiff City in the short or long term.
It seems Tan has his reservations, as promised funds have not materialised. After Bulut's outburst yesterday the writing may be on the wall, and yet another managerial sacking is in the offing.

A Quiet Monkfish
21-01-24, 17:30

I know an ex City academy coach who has sent his 2 lads to Bristol City's academy. Watching them v West Ham it was startling just how comfortable, confident quick and strong their young players are. They're just coached differently, it can't be anything else. Whenever one out ours makes a [rare] 1st team appearance, you can straight away see they're not the complete deal.

Eric the Half a Bee
21-01-24, 17:38
I know an ex City academy coach who has sent his 2 lads to Bristol City's academy. Watching them v West Ham it was startling just how comfortable, confident quick and strong their young players are. They're just coached differently, it can't be anything else. Whenever one out ours makes a [rare] 1st team appearance, you can straight away see they're not the complete deal.

There's also another consideration that I've heard. Does our first XI play the same sort of game as the under 21s? Nathan Blake used to be critical of the style of play our first team played as it offered no progression for the younger players to move seemlessly into. Swansea, as an example, play the same style from kids to first team (perhaps until Duff went there), so youngsters could slot in easily. Imagine you're a technically good midfield kid who enjoys passing and movement. There aren't many City first teams that player could slot into.

Delbert
22-01-24, 09:33
The club must issue a statement today with an explanation of the current situation. Any club where the owner, board, manager and players are not all pulling in the same direction is going to fail. Could someone show some leadership please!

Crisp White Lines
22-01-24, 10:10
There's also another consideration that I've heard. Does our first XI play the same sort of game as the under 21s? Nathan Blake used to be critical of the style of play our first team played as it offered no progression for the younger players to move seemlessly into. Swansea, as an example, play the same style from kids to first team (perhaps until Duff went there), so youngsters could slot in easily. Imagine you're a technically good midfield kid who enjoys passing and movement. There aren't many City first teams that player could slot into.

That hits the nail on the head: there is no vision nor strategy in the club's approach to the footballing aspects.

If the decision maker(s) just took a few steps back and looked at how smaller, modestly run clubs become successful, they'd see that such a vision is not some inconsequential nicety; it underpin that success.

WJ99mobile
22-01-24, 10:17

Because a poor Etete is still better than the youth alternatives at the moment.

I'm not saying don't play the Youth but we do need the points too.

pipster
22-01-24, 10:18
That hits the nail on the head: there is no vision nor strategy in the club's approach to the footballing aspects.

If the decision maker(s) just took a few steps back and looked at how smaller, modestly run clubs become successful, they'd see that such a vision is not some inconsequential nicety; it underpin that success.

I can hear the quote already "I was talking to Sharon last week and saying I had unfinished business, they were kind of club...."

xsnaggle
22-01-24, 10:29
I'm not disagreeing with you but post Brexit it is going to very, very difficult to hold onto our best 15/16 year olds. We have used our youngsters well, both of those things are true. I'd have played Joel Colwill or Ashford yesterday. If they're miles off it, why have they got 5/4 year deals?

What's Brexit got to do with it? :shrug:

pipster
22-01-24, 11:54

Put yourself into Sludge / Wilson mode.... This is quite clearly the fault of Thatcher and a direct correlation to Brexit. If we had a better more cohesive social fabric aligned to core Labour values none of this would have happened and we would still be in the prem with a team full of local kids

#Tories out blah blah blah

Pedro de la Rosa
22-01-24, 11:58

Premier League clubs can't sign under 18s from abroad now, so they have to sign the best domestic talent.

Pedro de la Rosa
22-01-24, 12:03
Because a poor Etete is still better than the youth alternatives at the moment.

I'm not saying don't play the Youth but we do need the points too.

I bet there were Wednesday fans saying that about not playing Bailey Cadamarteri. He's come in and look what's happened.

Some of the players we are playing are so bad, I don't think it matters if the youth players aren't good enough.

Taunton Blue Genie
22-01-24, 14:37
I bet there were Wednesday fans saying that about not playing Bailey Cadamarteri. He's come in and look what's happened.

Some of the players we are playing are so bad, I don't think it matters if the youth players aren't good enough.

Watching Etete is more like 'cut an artery' than Cadamarteri.......

A Quiet Monkfish
22-01-24, 14:42

in football terms Bristol City are miles better than City, and for them it's so much easier to introduce untried youngsters into the 1st team. All their players - experienced or not - seemed to be playing the same way..