PDA

View Full Version : Magic sports question

Rjk
07-02-24, 11:11
You save the life of a wizard somehow and he decides to repay you by granting you the following reward:
He allows you to choose one sport and he will make you perform as the best in the world at that sport for the next 10 times you compete in it - after that you will revert to your current level of ability in it.

What sport would you choose?

BLUETIT
07-02-24, 11:27
Although I hate it and don’t think it’s a proper sport, golf.

Reason, to win as much money as possible, then go back to being a normal person and if I wanna go walking, I can do it without lugging numerous lumps of metal around

Rjk
07-02-24, 11:32
Although I hate it and don’t think it’s a proper sport, golf.

Reason, to win as much money as possible, then go back to being a normal person and if I wanna go walking, I can do it without lugging numerous lumps of metal around

But you can't just go straight into the big money tournaments, presumably they have some sort of qualifying process you would have to do first?

BlueArmy 86
07-02-24, 11:45
Golf, by a mile. I dream of being able to put that golf ball where i want..

the other bob wilson
07-02-24, 11:55
If you were by far the quickest bowler in world cricket, I’d say it would be possible to get to the top of that sport within ten games, but I don’t think you’d make too much money doing it.

BLUETIT
07-02-24, 12:12
But you can't just go straight into the big money tournaments, presumably they have some sort of qualifying process you would have to do first?

Stop moving the goalposts, it’s my f uck ing Genie :hehe:

Eric the Half a Bee
07-02-24, 12:15
You save the life of a wizard somehow and he decides to repay you by granting you the following reward:
He allows you to choose one sport and he will make you perform as the best in the world at that sport for the next 10 times you compete in it - after that you will revert to your current level of ability in it.

What sport would you choose?

Football. A big side would sign you up on a long contract for mega money. Once you've got that in the bag, you can be as shit as you want!

lardy
07-02-24, 12:16
Football. A big side would sign you up on a long contract for mega money. Once you've got that in the bag, you can be as shit as you want!

Join Chelsea as a 17 year old asap

StraightOuttaCanton
07-02-24, 12:55

Just join LIV

Rock_Flock_of_Five
07-02-24, 12:59
If you chose football, you'd have to make sure you videoed your first game (likely to be a parks game) and then send copies to all the major clubs.
Your second and third games would hopefully have Premier League scouts watching.
Your fourth and fifth games would be with a club's development side.
The sixth game would be coming on as a substitute.
Your seventh game would be starting for the first team.
At the start of your eighth game, you will have signed a much-publicised full-contract, with your agent insisting that you will always be the club's highest paid player signing a 'Warnockesque' 5 year deal.
Ninth and tenth games you have to fend off rumours of interest from Cardiff City.

For your eleventh game you do indeed get signed by Cardiff City and continue to play for them at your previous level of ability...

RichardM
07-02-24, 13:06
If you chose football, you'd have to make sure you videoed your first game (likely to be a parks game) and then send copies to all the major clubs.
Your second and third games would hopefully have Premier League scouts watching.
Your fourth and fifth games would be with a club's development side.
The sixth game would be coming on as a substitute.
Your seventh game would be starting for the first team.
At the start of your eighth game, you will have signed a much-publicised full-contract, with your agent insisting that you will always be the club's highest paid player signing a 'Warnockesque' 5 year deal.
Ninth and tenth games you have to fend off rumours of interest from Cardiff City.

For your eleventh game you do indeed get signed by Cardiff City and continue to play for them at your previous level of ability...

😃

Rjk
07-02-24, 13:06

football would be one of the worst I think, you'd start at a sunday league club presumably, win a couple of games and maybe some scouts come to watch - you'll have used all 10 games up before you've got anywhere near the big money.

Rjk
07-02-24, 13:08
My thoughts on this would be marathon running - far from my ideal sport, but you can enter for example the london marathon as an amateur and if you won it, beating the elite you'd get a lot of sponsoship opportunities and then automatically be able to compete at the highest level - if you timed it right you might get an olympics etc

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
07-02-24, 13:09
I'd wait until my 60s, take up gymnastics and become a tiktok sensation.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
07-02-24, 13:11
My thoughts on this would be marathon running - far from my ideal sport, but you can enter for example the london marathon as an amateur and if you won it, beating the elite you'd get a lot of sponsoship opportunities and then automatically be able to compete at the highest level - if you timed it right you might get an olympics etc

Not a bad idea.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
07-02-24, 13:11
I'd wait until my 60s, take up gymnastics and become a tiktok sensation.

:hehe:

Rjk
07-02-24, 13:24
My other thought would be Boxing - wouldn't make any money, but you would absolutely batter the shit out of a couple of guys at blue collar boxing events. Maybe post it to you tube and try to call out one of those youtube twats who think they are boxers

splott parker
07-02-24, 13:31
A jockey, knowing I was going to be unbeatable in my first ten races, I’d get hold of as much money as possible and lump on. After the first few races I’d be sufficiently solvent to pay off any initial borrowing and use money I’d won and clean up. Jockey Club would ban me after the 10th race but I wouldn’t give a shite. All my family & mates had also just had ten straight winners.

LeningradCowboy
07-02-24, 13:34
A jockey, knowing I was going to be unbeatable in my first ten races, I’d get hold of as much money as possible and lump on. After the first few races I’d be sufficiently solvent to pay off any initial borrowing and use money I’d won and clean up. Jockey Club would ban me after the 10th race but I wouldn’t give a shite. All my family & mates had also just had ten straight winners.

But how would you get a ride on a decent horse?

lardy
07-02-24, 13:39
An individual sport would be best, as you'd stand out quicker. Marathon running is good, especially if you can break a world record.

Road cycling, triathlon, iron man, something where you can compete as an amateur alongside pros.

jon1959
07-02-24, 13:40
Cheese rolling.

You would be World No1 for a decade.

lardy
07-02-24, 13:40

But would the best jockey in the world still win on a donkey?

Rock_Flock_of_Five
07-02-24, 13:43
My sentiments exactly! :hehe:
You'd need to be seated on a decent horse for that very first race.

The Bloop
07-02-24, 13:45
Being able to play snooker at the top level would be great. I'd only compete in the world championships and be champion 10 years in a row.
I then go back to being lucky to pot 3 balls in a row.

If it was about money, it'd have to be golf.

Tuerto
07-02-24, 13:45
This is a thread about a wizard granting someone a special talent in order to perform and be the best for a short while in any given sport. A wizard ...Yet people are getting practical and saying that said person would have to start at the bottom of the rung, which would mean that the time the wizard has afforded would not be practical in real terms. **** me.......

Rjk
07-02-24, 13:50
This is a thread about a wizard granting someone a special talent in order to perform and be the best for a short while in any given sport. A wizard ...Yet people are getting practical and saying that said person would have to start at the bottom of the rung, which would mean that the time the wizard has afforded would not be practical in real terms. **** me.......

Yes the conditions are what makes the question more interesting, otherwise its just what sport would you like to be good at and that's been done 1000 times before

Rjk
07-02-24, 13:50
Being able to play snooker at the top level would be great. I'd only compete in the world championships and be champion 10 years in a row.
I then go back to being lucky to pot 3 balls in a row.

If it was about money, it'd have to be golf.

how would you get to play in the world championships though?

The Bloop
07-02-24, 13:56
how would you get to play in the world championships though?

Id tell Barry Hearn that if he doesn't let me play I'll create my own Saudi based LIV snooker tour.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
07-02-24, 13:57

Then by that logic you could just say (football as an example) ... FA Cup final, League Cup final, Champions League final, European Championship final, World Cup final and repeat it the second season. :hehe:
In practical terms it's certainly a lot more difficult, but not impossible to reach the top of the tree in the given sport (marathon runner as mentioned by another poster).
It just requires a bit more thought.

Moodybluebird
07-02-24, 14:04
Although I detest the sport (?) with a passion I would say F1. Topping the podium 10 races in a row would possibly be enough to win you a World Championship and the money you'd make would be astronomical.

lardy
07-02-24, 14:07
Although I detest the sport (?) with a passion I would say F1. Topping the podium 10 races in a row would possibly be enough to win you a World Championship and the money you'd make would be astronomical.

Have a read of the thread again!

Rock_Flock_of_Five
07-02-24, 14:09
You realise that most F1 drivers started off go-kart racing/F3/F2?
Not even Lewis Hamilton got a seat in an F1 car straight away.

Bluebirdman Of Alcathays
07-02-24, 14:27

Can we forget the sport and just discuss wizardry regulations?

bobh
07-02-24, 14:40
Horizontal bedroom jogging :old:

J R Hartley
07-02-24, 15:44
Yes the conditions are what makes the question more interesting, otherwise its just what sport would you like to be good at and that's been done 1000 times before

Its a shit question tbf

Moodybluebird
07-02-24, 15:46
Have a read of the thread again!

Eh ?

The Bloop
07-02-24, 15:50

What if you're the best driver but haven't got the best car?

Rjk
07-02-24, 15:54
What if you're the best driver but haven't got the best car?

how do you even get on a F1 team?

Taunton Blue Genie
07-02-24, 16:11
Cheese rolling.

You would be World No1 for a decade.

And earn a wedge every year.

Tuerto
07-02-24, 16:15
Can we forget the sport and just discuss wizardry regulations?

I think it would be for the best. It's a bit like when you have to tell your kids how santa gets into the house to deliver presents when you don't have a chimney. Anyway, i'd go for boxing, and i'd clean out middleweight and jump up and batter canelo, in Mexico. And my wiard would have thought about things, because he's a really good wizard :thumbup:

Tuerto
07-02-24, 16:17

I'm sure there's an 'Elf' out there who can sort it.... (See what i did)

LA Bluebird
07-02-24, 16:18
Baseball with international signing rules for young players outside of the US/Canada would be an interesting one. I reckon theoretically you could get a pay day without even playing a game - teams will happily throw a wad of cash at somebody who can reliably throw 100+ in nets or in a bullpen session in front of scouts. Playing a game or two and claiming a bit of arm soreness could then get you shut down to protect their investment. You’d never get the first pro contract, but teams regularly give 16 year old kids in the Dominican Republic millions based on nothing but potential. Similar to the cricket idea but with money up front

The marathon one is interesting but if you came out of nowhere to win the London Marathon everyone would assume you cheated and you’d probably be more likely to be banned than get endorsements. Great question btw.

splott parker
07-02-24, 16:22

The ten times I perform I’d be the best in the world, if the horse was a Barry Island donkey, I’d win and still be the best in the world. The marathon runner would be the best (winner) if he ran in hobnail boots, the footballer would be the best if he played in wellies. You do realise that there’s a very experienced wizard involved here, don’t you? He’s brilliant and knows wizardry & magic inside out………..I’m at Haydock Park in the 3.30 tomorrow, picking my ride up from Blackpool beach first thing tomorrow, get your stones on it.

The Bloop
07-02-24, 16:55

By definition, you can't be the best F1 driver in the world if you haven't got an F1 team to drive for.
Your point is moot.

A Quiet Monkfish
07-02-24, 17:03
I'd delay until I was 80yrs old [not long now] before taking my 10 x options. It would be the 100 metres. Can you imagine the bets, the challenges, the media coverage, of an 80yr old out running the world's fastest athletes. After my 9th I'd announce I was retiring after the next one.

xsnaggle
07-02-24, 17:30
Or better still after 9 say you were not going to race again then let them bribe you to do "just 1 more!"

Trigger
07-02-24, 17:32
Given this too much thought and I can't think of one where 10 games is enough to get you earning anything decent unless you could work on contacts, some social media presence beforehand.

So I'd choose football just for the enjoyment of being by far the best player on the pitch. A combination of ronaldinho and Messi taking the piss. I'd at least set up a YouTube channel to document the journey and perhaps it would get me some attention before the 10 games or someone breaks my leg.

NYCBlue
07-02-24, 17:50
How long is a game of poker? One hand? Or one session?

Rjk
07-02-24, 18:06
How long is a game of poker? One hand? Or one session?

one session I guess.
being the best poker player in the world does not guarantee winning though

Eric the Half a Bee
07-02-24, 22:45
Given this too much thought and I can't think of one where 10 games is enough to get you earning anything decent unless you could work on contacts, some social media presence beforehand.

So I'd choose football just for the enjoyment of being by far the best player on the pitch. A combination of ronaldinho and Messi taking the piss. I'd at least set up a YouTube channel to document the journey and perhaps it would get me some attention before the 10 games or someone breaks my leg.

It doesn't say whether you can show this brilliance in training or practice before your first game. This, I reckon, is where football wins. If you can, you can go around from club to club begging for opportunities. Go to a big, big club. Spin some yarn, demonstrate serious skills. They'll look at you. Be amazing in training. They ask you to come back as you're that good. You start training with them. You keep being amazing. You play a couple of friendlies. You're awesome. Get signed up on a long term contract. Play 8 games where you're a world beater. Job done.

lardy
07-02-24, 22:52
Eh ?

It's come up a few times already. You can't just decide to be an F1 driver, even if you drive like peak Schumacher. You've only got the ability 10 times.

Bald Barry Bastad
07-02-24, 23:22
It's got to be golf. Win the UK amateur championship gets you a wildcard into the British open. Win that as an amateur and then turn pro, win 8 majors and live happily ever after.

lardy
08-02-24, 00:33
Thinking about it, F1 might be the worst. Even if you get a drive and it goes well, what happens after your ability goes?

If you decide to drive, you'll never qualify for another race, and may even kill yourself or someone else while trying. And if you refuse to race, their lawyers will bankrupt you.

Rjk
08-02-24, 01:35
It's got to be golf. Win the UK amateur championship gets you a wildcard into the British open. Win that as an amateur and then turn pro, win 8 majors and live happily ever after.

how do you get into the UK amateur championship? can anyone play that?

NYCBlue
08-02-24, 02:28

It would take 4 days to win each tournament. You wouldn't even have the time to establish yourself to qualify for the Amateur Championship.

Even if you were already good enough to get into UK Amateur, the most you could hope for is to win the British Open and then fall spectacularly from the top of the leaderboard on day 3 of your next tournament

Robin Friday's Ghost
08-02-24, 08:15
It would take 4 days to win each tournament. You wouldn't even have the time to establish yourself to qualify for the Amateur Championship.

Even if you were already good enough to get into UK Amateur, the most you could hope for is to win the British Open and then fall spectacularly from the top of the leaderboard on day 3 of your next tournament
10 wins not 10 days

splott parker
08-02-24, 08:16
Amazing how in depth this thread has gone. Analysed to the nth degree, posters contradicted & corrected, detailed explanations of how one would go about it & dodge the rules & pitfalls (me included). It’s a wizard giving magic powers, it’s like ripping a Grimm’s fairy tale to bits claiming it’s too far fetched.:hehe:

BLUETIT
08-02-24, 09:23
It did happen, Ali Dia, anyone remember him :hehe:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/real-story-ali-dia-mystery-27124339&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjlw-qltZuEAxWlYEEAHYgjC74QFnoECAAQAw&usg=AOvVaw2ddXjb8u9IEKrg9sP1m-Q8

Moodybluebird
08-02-24, 09:49
Lardy, think you're taking this far too seriously.

In any case, I would retire after my 10th race lol

Rjk
08-02-24, 10:31

the rules are starting from where you are today, you can become the best in the world at a chosen sport for the next 10 times you compete in it.
So unless you already have a seat at an F1 team ( and one of the best ones at that) then it isn't going to do you much good.

NTB
08-02-24, 11:57
Love the analysis in this thread. Couple of things to add into the mix.

Performing as the best in the world doesn't guarantee winning.

If only your ability changes, what happens if you can't even fit into a F1 car. I know I wouldn't be able to so I would be the best F1 driver in the world but wouldn't be able to fit into the car.

lardy
08-02-24, 12:18

You'll never be the best in the world with that attitude.

The Bloop
08-02-24, 14:00
What if 2 people chose to be the best in the same sport at the same time?
That wizard hasn't really thought this through.

Rjk
08-02-24, 14:03
they both perform at the standard of the best in the world at that sport, whoever is better on the day will win, much like when 2 evenly matched players play in any sport

Moodybluebird
08-02-24, 14:12

Ah but only one person saved his life as far as we know so the above scenario shouldn't happen. But Merlin being a wise old wizard wouldn't afford two people the same opportunities simultaneously even if he owed them both a debt of gratitude.

Moodybluebird
08-02-24, 14:34

Slightly left field but it sort of relates to your first paragraph:
The US golfer Zach Johnson when he won the British Open thanked God profusely during his winner's speech. I was thinking, did the other players feel betrayed by God because He decided they were undeserving of the claret jug ? Of course all the competitors with the exception of Johnson may have been heathens but I find this unlikely.

splott parker
08-02-24, 16:23
The US golfer Zach Johnson when he won the British Open thanked God profusely during his winner's speech. I was thinking, did the other players feel betrayed by God because He decided they were undeserving of the claret jug ? Of course all the competitors with the exception of Johnson may have been heathens but I find this unlikely.

Johnson, wisely, kept quiet about the wizard, obviously.

Jimmy the Jock
08-02-24, 16:44

:hehe:

Rock_Flock_of_Five
08-02-24, 19:29

Love it! :hehe:

I also came around to your way of thinking, that if you were the best in the world, you'd win regardless of any perceived handicap.

You'd win the Olympic 100m race wearing leg callipers.. because you'd be simply the best, right?

Likewise, you'd win the Olympic swimming blue ribbon event wearing a copper diving helmet and lead boots!

When you made that post about being a champion jockey, I was going to suggest you pick up the shovel that's been kicking around recently. However, now I see where you were coming from :hehe:

splott parker
08-02-24, 19:48
Love it! :hehe:

I also came around to your way of thinking, that if you were the best in the world, you'd win regardless of any perceived handicap.

You'd win the Olympic 100m race wearing leg callipers.. because you'd be simply the best, right?

Likewise, you'd win the Olympic swimming blue ribbon event wearing a copper diving helmet and lead boots!

When you made that post about being a champion jockey, I was going to suggest you pick up the shovel that's been kicking around recently. However, now I see where you were coming from :hehe:

The shovel was for following my horse. I’m the best at rhubarb growing as well.

Shute
08-02-24, 20:10
Boxing seems to be the sport where you can be thrust into world level fights based on reputation, like Francis Ngannou.

You arrange an amatuer fight, film it for the internet and because you're the best in the world it will go viral. Within 3 fights you'd be offered a big name like some YouTube influencer. Fights 8, 9 and 10 would end the careers of Joshua, Usyk and Fury.

NYCBlue
09-02-24, 00:39

US players in all sports do that shit all the time. So vain and non self-aware (just like religion). If there was a god, why would it choose one person over another to be successful? You may as well thank god for being a dick to everyone else.

NYCBlue
09-02-24, 00:42
Boxing seems to be the sport where you can be thrust into world level fights based on reputation, like Francis Ngannou.

You arrange an amatuer fight, film it for the internet and because you're the best in the world it will go viral. Within 3 fights you'd be offered a big name like some YouTube influencer. Fights 8, 9 and 10 would end the careers of Joshua, Usyk and Fury.

If you're 5'5" and the best boxer in the world, you're still not going to win those fights.

NYCBlue
09-02-24, 00:50
10 wins not 10 days

It's not 10 wins, it's 10 times. In a golf tournament, you play 18 holes 4 times. On different days.

Rjk
09-02-24, 06:48
It's not 10 wins, it's 10 times. In a golf tournament, you play 18 holes 4 times. On different days.

I've just spoken to the wizard and he confirms that this is the case - sorry

lardy
09-02-24, 07:05
An individual sport would be best, as you'd stand out quicker. Marathon running is good, especially if you can break a world record.

Road cycling, triathlon, iron man, something where you can compete as an amateur alongside pros.

Changing my mind on this now as well.

Remember when those female Chinese athletes suddenly started destroying middle distance records, knocking 30 seconds at a time off the 5000m (something like that). Everyone just assumed it was doping, and the one who broke the records later admitted it.

Saying that, I think those world records still stand. Would it be worth it to have a world record if there's a big asterisk next to it?

the other bob wilson
09-02-24, 07:06

Also, what did Zach Johnson do to offend God so much in 2015/16 that prevented him from retaining his title and stopped him winning it back in the last seven British Opens?

splott parker
09-02-24, 07:26
Also, what did Zach Johnson do to offend God so much in 2015/16 that prevented him from retaining his title and stopped him winning it back in the last seven British Opens?

Can’t comment on the last seven years but at the moment the wizard has his hands full with CCMB posters. Johnson’s wizard experience is in the past.

Moodybluebird
09-02-24, 11:47

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

Rjk
09-02-24, 11:50
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

And the Lord had £20 on Henrik Stenson

Moodybluebird
09-02-24, 15:06
And the Lord had £20 on Henrik Stenson

That would be the late Jon Lord of Deep Purple fame. A great keyboard player who sadly knew nothing about golf.