PDA

View Full Version : How do young people cope?

WJ99mobile
18-02-24, 12:10
We've recently found out we're expecting our first child and went to look at prams and newborn stuff yesterday.

For the most popular brand it was a staggering £1400 for just a pram and car seat.

Mid terrace 2 bed house for rent in Canton is about £1400/month

Car insurance is about £750 for a 25 year old.

And I know everyone is in the same boat with high costs, but how are young familes (younger than me) supposed to survive these days when they're stuck in entry level jobs?

BLUETIT
18-02-24, 12:26
3 bedroom house in Llanishen/Thornhill is about £1000

But I know what you’re saying/ getting at.

insider
18-02-24, 12:30
We are living in a cost of greed crisis.
The rich get richer the poor get poorer all driven by shareholder profits.
The biggest example of late is British Gas profits increased 10 fold this year whilst the old and poor can't afford to heat their homes.

Eric Cartman
18-02-24, 12:37
We've recently found out we're expecting our first child and went to look at prams and newborn stuff yesterday.

For the most popular brand it was a staggering £1400 for just a pram and car seat.

And I know everyone is in the same boat with high costs, but how are young familes (younger than me) supposed to survive these days when they're stuck in entry level jobs?

Exactly my thoughts, how are people with families on average wages actually coping? The simple answer is that they aren't and won't. I am a single 37 year old on about the median wage living in a relatively expensive area but with the caveat that I am not able to do my job fully remotely so I couldn't just move to a cheaper area. That means 50% of people working full time earn less than me, many will have young dependants and things are only moving in one direction. These people should have the joy of a young family but instead they have the constant worry that they actually can't afford to pay for basics.

Somehow the establishment have firmly embedded the idea that an above inflation pay rise for working people is pure greed, but criticism of anybody already tremendously wealthy lowering their tax rate is envy. If you extend that a few more decades, the UK resembles something like that scene from Fury Road where Immortal Joe turns on the water.

Something needs to change, I don't know what exactly but when you are looking at an ecosystem where working people are left wondering why they bother, your incentive system is broken. I am not sure I entirely trust the mechanisms used to measure productivity but it wouldn't surprise me if many people are quietly giving up, why try hard when your course is already set for you and it looks so bleak.

I will eventually have a very uncomfortable discussion with work and try to push for working fully remotely and move somewhere I can afford to actually live a healthy/happy life.

I don't see this being fixed by whoever the next government is. The Tories and Lib Dems think it's working well and Labour are scared of their own shadow. We have a Shadow Chancellor whose rhetoric sounds exactly like George Osborne.

Now let's play word bingo. My card reads, 'takeaway coffees', 'netflix subscription' and 'expensive foreign holidays'.

City123
18-02-24, 12:57
Exactly my thoughts, how are people with families on average wages actually coping? The simple answer is that they aren't and won't. I am a single 37 year old on about the median wage living in a relatively expensive area but with the caveat that I am not able to do my job fully remotely so I couldn't just move to a cheaper area. That means 50% of people working full time earn less than me, many will have young dependants and things are only moving in one direction. These people should have the joy of a young family but instead they have the constant worry that they actually can't afford to pay for basics.

Somehow the establishment have firmly embedded the idea that an above inflation pay rise for working people is pure greed, but criticism of anybody already tremendously wealthy lowering their tax rate is envy. If you extend that a few more decades, the UK resembles something like that scene from Fury Road where Immortal Joe turns on the water.

Something needs to change, I don't know what exactly but when you are looking at an ecosystem where working people are left wondering why they bother, your incentive system is broken. I am not sure I entirely trust the mechanisms used to measure productivity but it wouldn't surprise me if many people are quietly giving up, why try hard when your course is already set for you and it looks so bleak.

I will eventually have a very uncomfortable discussion with work and try to push for working fully remotely and move somewhere I can afford to actually live a healthy/happy life.

I don't see this being fixed by whoever the next government is. The Tories and Lib Dems think it's working well and Labour are scared of their own shadow. We have a Shadow Chancellor whose rhetoric sounds exactly like George Osborne.

Now let's play word bingo. My card reads, 'takeaway coffees', 'netflix subscription' and 'expensive foreign holidays'.
Don't forget the avocados

Wales-Bales
18-02-24, 13:05
You're living through the great shakedown. Outside of the west it's as cheap as chips.

pipster
18-02-24, 13:59
We are living in a cost of greed crisis.
The rich get richer the poor get poorer all driven by shareholder profits.
The biggest example of late is British Gas profits increased 10 fold this year whilst the old and poor can't afford to heat their homes.

Shareholders like Pension Funds ? - which provide peoples pensions.
Low interest rates (so savings cant grow), stock market returns have been volatile - so all the money goes into property investments.

If only we had less pensioners.....
ps I remember my Dad having the same conversations when I was leaving school, 'youngsters' being unable to survive etc.

These days it's the bank of Mum & Dad plus facebook market place - not everything has to be a brand new purchase

NYCBlue
18-02-24, 14:11
You're living through the great shakedown. Outside of the west it's as cheap as chips.

So emigrate is your answer?

Wales-Bales
18-02-24, 15:23
So emigrate is your answer?Just stating facts, not offering any advice :thumbup:

NYCBlue
18-02-24, 16:17
Just stating facts, not offering any advice :thumbup:

Fair enough. It worked for me.

ninian opinian
18-02-24, 16:32

I do a lot of walking and bump into the same people most days including a couple who I’d say are in their early forties. Conversation started about the state of blocked drains and questions around why councils no longer clear them and then we moved to talking about the lack of funding for councils. The woman stated that the all the problems in the country started when people insisted on getting the minimum wage, everything was OK before that and cleaners in the NHS are on the same money as doctors :facepalm: I will never understand for the life of me why working class people always blame those at the bottom of the food chain for the state of this country.

insider
18-02-24, 17:24
Shareholders like Pension Funds ? - which provide peoples pensions.
Low interest rates (so savings cant grow), stock market returns have been volatile - so all the money goes into property investments.

If only we had less pensioners.....
ps I remember my Dad having the same conversations when I was leaving school, 'youngsters' being unable to survive etc.

These days it's the bank of Mum & Dad plus facebook market place - not everything has to be a brand new purchase
Utilities should be publicly owned or at least governed by strict rules to stop the ridiculous situation we have now vast profits on the 1 side and people on the other side not being able to warm their homes.
But keep going with your capitalist mantra that greed is good.

ToTaL ITK
18-02-24, 17:29
Fair enough. It worked for me.

And me. Would never consider moving back even tho Cardiff seems very decent

blue matt
18-02-24, 17:33
I remember when I was a apprentice, the guys would warm me that I was doomed, house prices, cost of food and cars, low wages, the list went on and on, the kids today will never make it

that was 35 years ago

Dembe
18-02-24, 17:35
I remember when I was a apprentice, the guys would warm me that I was doomed, house prices, cost of food and cars, low wages, the list went on and on, the kids today will never make it

that was 35 years ago

I though we were nailed on to have a classic matt story time (with plenty of points made in brackets) when I saw you were latest to post.

I feel cheated.

blue matt
18-02-24, 17:50
I though we were nailed on to have a classic matt story time (with plenty of points made in brackets) when I saw you were latest to post.

I feel cheated.

Wouldnt want to bore anyone, sharp and too the point now :thumbup:

I know where my stories aren't wanted

goats
18-02-24, 17:54

We bought a decent new pram for £300…..they still make them, no doubt about £100 more now. Rents going through the roof, you can thank the welsh government for that, loads of landlords jacking it in and few seem to want to bother with the hassle….

goats
18-02-24, 17:56

I feel cheated.

Where’s the warrior gone? He disappeared for a while it seems…..:

goats
18-02-24, 18:01
Utilities should be publicly owned or at least governed by strict rules to stop the ridiculous situation we have now vast profits on the 1 side and people on the other side not being able to warm their homes.
But keep going with your capitalist mantra that greed is good.

Something needs to happen with utilities asap, another month over a post £300 bill…..it was £100 less last winter. Why aren’t their massive profits used to subsidise us anymore?

splott parker
18-02-24, 18:05
Something needs to happen with utilities asap, another month over a post £300 bill…..it was £100 less last winter. Why aren’t their massive profits used to subsidise us anymore?

Because those profits are filling someone’s drinks cabinet in the Cayman Islands or some other exotic place.

Heathblue
18-02-24, 18:22
Base level energy costs are back to their 3 year old levels ( i think it might have been Jamie Jenkins who stated this on X) those of us who pay these bills are well aware that prices haven't decreased in line with the reduced costs, did anyone, honest a god, think they ever would ? but back to the topic, the squeezing out of home ownership, this is IMO by design, get ready for the 15 min cities boys and girls & other!!, pokey little flats in high rise tower blocks, no need of car ownership, finances controlled by CBDC, carbon credits & holidays in Blackpool for us plebs, conspiracy ?, we'll see
How do young people cope ? you are not supposed to, you will be broken until you comply.

islandblue
18-02-24, 18:46
Council tax has gone through the roof over the last decade as well. Here in Barry , Vale of Glam have increased it by nearly 50 percent in the last decade and some of the proposed rises this year are astronomical. Do we really need 22 unitary authorities for a population slightly less than Greater Manchester? My youngest son who has a young family lives in Llantrisant and is dreading the rise RCT want to levy this year.

jon1959
18-02-24, 18:51
Base level energy costs are back to their 3 year old levels ( i think it might have been Jamie Jenkins who stated this on X) those of us who pay these bills are well aware that prices haven't decreased in line with the reduced costs, did anyone, honest a god, think they ever would ? but back to the topic, the squeezing out of home ownership, this is IMO by design, get ready for the 15 min cities boys and girls & other!!, pokey little flats in high rise tower blocks, no need of car ownership, finances controlled by CBDC, carbon credits & holidays in Blackpool for us plebs, conspiracy ?, we'll see
How do young people cope ? you are not supposed to, you will be broken until you comply.

I don't think the fall in owner occupation is anything to do with your bundle of 'conspiracy ?' plots.

The biggest factor is cash rich buy-to-let landlords squeezing out first time buyers who have seen the cost of homes skyrocket whilst their wages have been stagnant or fallen. Other factors too - but from 70.9 of all homes being owner occupied in 2003, it has now fallen to 64.3% (was 62.6% in 2016). Not a problem if that is part of a mixed and affordable housing stock that meets needs - but it isn't.

At the same time social renting (mostly Council and Housing Association) has fallen to its lowest in a century at 16.6%. Private renting is up to around 19-20% of the total stock of homes. A big chunk of those privately rented homes are ex Council Right To Buys that have been sold on and ended up with private landlords who typically (in London and some other big cities) charge 3 times the rent of an identical retained Council home - either adding to homelessness (some of it hidden) or to the national housing benefit bill. As with low wages, bad employers and bad landlords are subsidised via the Treasury by the rest of us.

So not 15 minutes cities, the end of cash, or Bill Gates chips floating in our latest vaccine shot - just under regulated capitalism where the rich get richer and the majority just try to stay afloat.

Dembe
18-02-24, 18:51
Wouldnt want to bore anyone, sharp and too the point now :thumbup:

I know where my stories aren't wanted

Damn shame, I always liked them.

Eric Cartman
18-02-24, 20:01
Council tax has gone through the roof over the last decade as well. Here in Barry , Vale of Glam have increased it by nearly 50 percent in the last decade and some of the proposed rises this year are astronomical. Do we really need 22 unitary authorities for a population slightly less than Greater Manchester? My youngest son who has a young family lives in Llantrisant and is dreading the rise RCT want to levy this year.

It's worth looking up what this is spent on. Our council budget was released a few weeks back, 50% of the overall county council budget went to adult social care.

People think their council tax covers people to pick their bins up and potholes, which makes people think it's terrible value. Social care should be centrally funded to take away this lottery of funding, some councils will be in a far worse place than others because of demographics.

Eric the Half a Bee
18-02-24, 20:27
It's worth looking up what this is spent on. Our council budget was released a few weeks back, 50% of the overall county council budget went to adult social care.

People think their council tax covers people to pick their bins up and potholes, which makes people think it's terrible value. Social care should be centrally funded to take away this lottery of funding, some councils will be in a far worse place than others because of demographics.

Council funding has also been a terrific sleight of hand. Westminster allowed councils to keep business rates in place of some central funding, so councils in areas that can generate more rates will be better off. It doesn't help that some believe that business rates are a part of the reason for declining town centres.

Council tax only makes up around 10-15% of council funding, so the public don't see the real extent of how much council funding is cut. They just see council tax rises and less services and often think there's huge amounts of money being wasted.

ToTaL ITK
18-02-24, 22:44
feck the young, they can borrow a pram from family. how do the old cope ?

BLUETIT
19-02-24, 01:07
feck the young, they can borrow a pram from family. how do the old cope ?

Ya, youth is wasted on the young !!!

How come they always buy the most expensive lagers ?

Wozza16
19-02-24, 13:30
Do you mean the best union in the world doesn’t work? GREAT Britain blah blah. I emigrated and wouldn’t return now, Wales has so much potential but the public are too scared and downbeat.

I’ve never met a more depressing, pessimistic nation of people. Wales powered the world at one point and has nothing to show for it

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 14:26

Those lucky people who were young in 1939 had it so much easier they didn't have to worry about prams or buying a nice house in a suburb, the government looked after them providing them with a nice free trench and free food, it's so tough now.

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 14:29

If you spend £1400 on a pram and £1400pm to rent 2 bedroom house in Canton you need locking up.

J R Hartley
19-02-24, 14:51
Those lucky people who were young in 1939 had it so much easier they didn't have to worry about prams or buying a nice house in a suburb, the government looked after them providing them with a nice free trench and free food, it's so tough now.

Put the Daily Mail down Gammon Face.

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 14:52
Put the Daily Mail down Gammon Face.

:hehe: Says someone angry with a red face :hehe:

The softest attempt at an insult I've ever heard.

J R Hartley
19-02-24, 15:00
:hehe: Says someone angry with a red face :hehe:

The softest attempt at an insult I've ever heard.

Is that all you could come up with? At the second attempt too :hehe:

People shouldnt complain about their current state of affairs because there was a war nearly 100 years ago. Lets be fair.

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 15:05
Is that all you could come up with? At the second attempt too :hehe:

People shouldnt complain about their current state of affairs because there was a war nearly 100 years ago. Lets be fair.

It was soft, gammon face so offensive :hehe:

No point crying on message boards because 50% don't care and the other 50% are glad you're having a sht time, just get on with it.

The post is nonsense anyway who would spend £1400 on a pram and £1400pm on renting 2 beds in Canton?

ebay have nearly new prams for £50.

Eric Cartman
19-02-24, 15:13

Do you realise your statement only refers to people who are over 100? Which is about 15,000.

Canton Kev
19-02-24, 15:27
It was soft, gammon face so offensive :hehe:

No point crying on message boards because 50% don't care and the other 50% are glad you're having a sht time, just get on with it.

The post is nonsense anyway who would spend £1400 on a pram and £1400pm on renting 2 beds in Canton?

ebay have nearly new prams for £50.

Does eBay have a 2 bed flat for 50 quid a month?

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 15:49

Yes send the money to some guy in Nigeria and he will sort it all out for you :thumbup:

light up the darkness
19-02-24, 16:03
Yes send the money to some guy in Nigeria and he will sort it all out for you :thumbup:

Can you ask him when I will be receiving the genuine princess he promised me. Thanks in advance

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 16:39
Can you ask him when I will be receiving the genuine princess he promised me. Thanks in advance

He said yes but there was an accident and her mother got ill so she needs another £5,000 for hospital care and a new flight first :thumbup:

Eric the Half a Bee
19-02-24, 16:45

Tell me how this matters one tiny bit....

light up the darkness
19-02-24, 17:04
He said yes but there was an accident and her mother got ill so she needs another £5,000 for hospital care and a new flight first :thumbup:

Ok thanks for the update. I’ll transfer that to him in Switzerland right away:thumbup:

North Cardiff Blue
19-02-24, 17:18
Tell me how this matters one tiny bit....

It's not complicated, my five-year-old grandaughter could grasp it, best leave it there if you can't :thumbup:

splott parker
19-02-24, 17:55

Did you ever write for Monty Python?

Eric the Half a Bee
19-02-24, 18:23
It's not complicated, my five-year-old grandaughter could grasp it, best leave it there if you can't :thumbup:

Please share it with us, just so there's no misunderstanding, if you have the guts to do so.

JamesWales
19-02-24, 22:44
I don't think the fall in owner occupation is anything to do with your bundle of 'conspiracy ?' plots.

The biggest factor is cash rich buy-to-let landlords squeezing out first time buyers who have seen the cost of homes skyrocket whilst their wages have been stagnant or fallen. Other factors too - but from 70.9 of all homes being owner occupied in 2003, it has now fallen to 64.3% (was 62.6% in 2016). Not a problem if that is part of a mixed and affordable housing stock that meets needs - but it isn't.

At the same time social renting (mostly Council and Housing Association) has fallen to its lowest in a century at 16.6%. Private renting is up to around 19-20% of the total stock of homes. A big chunk of those privately rented homes are ex Council Right To Buys that have been sold on and ended up with private landlords who typically (in London and some other big cities) charge 3 times the rent of an identical retained Council home - either adding to homelessness (some of it hidden) or to the national housing benefit bill. As with low wages, bad employers and bad landlords are subsidised via the Treasury by the rest of us.

So not 15 minutes cities, the end of cash, or Bill Gates chips floating in our latest vaccine shot - just under regulated capitalism where the rich get richer and the majority just try to stay afloat.

Nearly every flat being built in Cardiff city centre now is buy to let. They will never go on open sale.

It's an absolute disgrace, a total scandal and the welsh government and council sit back and watch. Appalling

Eric the Half a Bee
19-02-24, 22:51
Nearly every flat being built in Cardiff city centre now is buy to let. They will never go on open sale.

It's an absolute disgrace, a total scandal and the welsh government and council sit back and watch. Appalling

What should the Welsh Government (I notice you decided to not capitalise it) do about it and how would that differ from Westminster?

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 07:35
Please share it with us, just so there's no misunderstanding, if you have the guts to do so.

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 07:37
What should the Welsh Government (I notice you decided to not capitalise it) do about it and how would that differ from Westminster?

Nothing hopefully, they just make every single thing they touch worse - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68330487

waynekerr55
20-02-24, 07:42

Drink less coffee and stop having avocado on toast. At least that's what the "brains" on GB news and the Mail telling them...

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 07:43

Probably closer to £50 than £1400 :thumbup:

goats
20-02-24, 09:03

Yep most owned by banks or huge companies/ hedge funds. There is a huge shortage of hotels in Cardiff so they are also built for airbnb style living now too. Lots of low end hotels now just housing homeless families…what a life eh.

splott parker
20-02-24, 10:15
Drink less coffee and stop having avocado on toast. At least that's what the "brains" on GB news and the Mail telling them...

Some of these ne’er-do-wells have mobile phones & televisions, some even drive, their kids are clean and well dressed as well. Don’t they realise they’d have been up chimneys with Dick Van Dyke in Victorian times. They just don’t know their place!!!

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 10:23
Yep most owned by banks or huge companies/ hedge funds. There is a huge shortage of hotels in Cardiff so they are also built for airbnb style living now too. Lots of low end hotels now just housing homeless families…what a life eh.

Well that's capitalism for you

Thatcher basically privatised the social housing sector and this is what we are left with

If people are appalled by this then blame the selfish gits who voted Conservative in the 1980s

It will take 20 years of investment in social housing to turn this nightmare around

There was a post war concensus in housing policy and although mistakes were made such as some of the high rise estates it was accepted that low cost housing for rent and sale was needed

Along came the Tories, ripped up protected rent ......this is where you are paying huge market rents to private landlords ! ......and sold off council housing .....Great for those who got a house from a huge state subsidy ........a nightmare for those left scrabbling and squabbling around for what was left

It's not the fault of the Welsh government , they have stopped the sale of council homes

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 10:30

This is the result of unmanaged free market capitalism involved in the housing market and seeped into social housing

There is no real social housing left now thanks to the conservatives so the homeless and poorly housed on the waiting lists are directed to hugely over priced private accommodation..........which is paid for by the state through housing benefit ......and goes to private landlords

It is absolutely a scandal and it's down to your lot

The local authorities have absolutely no choice but to house those on the waiting lists into private housing until we start building a glut of social housing

What else would you propose ?

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 10:31
It's not the fault of the Welsh government , they have stopped the sale of council homes

Well done. They shut the gate after the horse had bolted. Bravo.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 10:33
Well done. They shut the gate after the horse had bolted. Bravo.

How do you propose that the Welsh government fund the huge House building needed which was lost to council house sales ?

Without tax raising powers ?

Enlighten me

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 10:35
How do you propose that the Welsh government fund the huge House building needed which was lost to council house sales ?

Enlighten me

Speeding tickets for people driving over 20 mph

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 10:37
Speeding tickets for people driving over 20 mph

How much will that raise ?

Dembe
20-02-24, 10:43

Pointless having an opinion on something you can't change isn't it? At least that's what you said.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 10:59
Pointless having an opinion on something you can't change isn't it? At least that's what you said.

The grown ups are talking now dembe

Voting for a new government can change things

If you are old enough to vote I would suggest that's what you do

Dembe
20-02-24, 11:07
The grown ups are talking now dembe

Voting for a new government can change things

If you are old enough to vote I would suggest that's what you do

I am simply reminding the grown up of what he previously states, incase his old mind did nor recall events of only a few days ago.

Blindly voting Labour over and over is your solution, because you dad did, and his dad before.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I was brought up "vote labour, keep the tory bastards out" I will never vote labour, the soft leftie types have created a mess where people rely on handouts, hard working people are expected to watch on as more and more people freeload.

Oh shit, I forgot, I can't change it so my opinion is invalid, ah well on with my day I go.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 11:33
I am simply reminding the grown up of what he previously states, incase his old mind did nor recall events of only a few days ago.

Blindly voting Labour over and over is your solution, because you dad did, and his dad before.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I was brought up "vote labour, keep the tory bastards out" I will never vote labour, the soft leftie types have created a mess where people rely on handouts, hard working people are expected to watch on as more and more people freeload.

Oh shit, I forgot, I can't change it so my opinion is invalid, ah well on with my day I go.

You are out of your depth here sonny

If you think people struggling are just relying on handouts rather than being at the mercy of government policy then I don't intend wasting any of my time discussing this with you

I think it's best that, as you say, you get on with your day

The Bloop
20-02-24, 11:33

My wife's £88 has gone to Central government not the Senedd.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 11:36
My wife's £88 has gone to Central government not the Senedd.

Well it's a start

A gesture

Dembe
20-02-24, 12:11
I don't intend wasting any of my time discussing this with you

I think it's best that, as you say, you get on with your day

You're a fast learner.

You've been saying the same things over snd over on here since day dot, nobody "has a discussion" with you. You repeat yourself over and over while others have opinions and you jump over a thread saying the same things over and over.

You don't want discussion, you just want to shout louder than the next person and repeat yourself until you fall asleep hoping the rest give up. You'll go quiet then pounce on a completely different thread saying the same things over and over.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 12:21
You're a fast learner.

You've been saying the same things over snd over on here since day dot, nobody "has a discussion" with you. You repeat yourself over and over while others have opinions and you jump over a thread saying the same things over and over.

You don't want discussion, you just want to shout louder than the next person and repeat yourself until you fall asleep hoping the rest give up. You'll go quiet then pounce on a completely different thread saying the same things over and over.

I don't want discussion with you that's for certain sonny

Dembe
20-02-24, 12:25
I don't want discussion with you that's for certain sonny

I am absolutely gutted.

I've always wanted to have an internet back and forth on housing issues with a brick wall.

jon1959
20-02-24, 12:28

There were 6.4 million people on Universal Credit in January 2024. 39% of them were in work - but not earning enough to live.

Is the 'mess' you speak of people claiming benefits (many don't claim who could) or the levels of pay that mean they cannot survive without?

The benefits system is a mess - the UC 'reforms' didn't resolve that and in many ways made it worse - but the underlying problem is poverty and low pay (and high housing and utilities costs). I'm sure you have your reasons for blaming 'soft leftie types' for all that but I think there are more obvious targets.

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 12:35
I am absolutely gutted.

I've always wanted to have an internet back and forth on housing issues with a brick wall.

I know but it's for the best

Maybe you can do some finger painting with the teacher or play in the sand pit ?

Best of luck with everything

SLUDGE FACTORY
20-02-24, 12:36
There were 6.4 million people on Universal Credit in January 2024. 39% of them were in work - but not earning enough to live.

Is the 'mess' you speak of people claiming benefits (many don't claim who could) or the levels of pay that mean they cannot survive without?

The benefits system is a mess - the UC 'reforms' didn't resolve that and in many ways made it worse - but the underlying problem is poverty and low pay (and high housing and utilities costs). I'm sure you have your reasons for blaming 'soft leftie types' for all that but I think there are more obvious targets.

You are wasting your time Jon

Dembe
20-02-24, 12:49

There are also plenty that claim that shouldn't.

People know how to play the system, people that are fit enough to work cash in hand but also claim the highest rates of disability, housing benefit etc etc. People know how to play the system. They'll squeeze every last penny they can, child benefit etc. How much is given to people that don't need it every year?

There are black people in America that blame the welfare state for ruining black families, mothers happy to raise kids without fathers because they get housing and other handouts.

More you give more people take, perhaps money given to people that don't need it but are happy to claim it (and more) could be better spent elsewhere, maybe they could spend it on care for the elderly, and put our council tax rates back down.

Dembe
20-02-24, 12:50
You are wasting your time Jon

You've played the system your entire adult life, you would say that. But as you've pointed out, you don't want to discuss with me do you :thumbup: so you needn't reply :-)

goats
20-02-24, 14:32
Well that's capitalism for you

Thatcher basically privatised the social housing sector and this is what we are left with

If people are appalled by this then blame the selfish gits who voted Conservative in the 1980s

It will take 20 years of investment in social housing to turn this nightmare around

There was a post war concensus in housing policy and although mistakes were made such as some of the high rise estates it was accepted that low cost housing for rent and sale was needed

Along came the Tories, ripped up protected rent ......this is where you are paying huge market rents to private landlords ! ......and sold off council housing .....Great for those who got a house from a huge state subsidy ........a nightmare for those left scrabbling and squabbling around for what was left

There’s a huge amount of houses being built to the north and west of Cardiff….adding 100,000 to the population. I’m not sure who is buying all these new builds but they appear to be….i imagine there has to be some social housing amongst them all?

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 15:31

Enlighten me

Give them £100Billion, they would blow it in weeks on making Famers uncompetitive by planting more trees, slowing the motorways to 40mph and as many daft ideas as possible to further reduce the terrible economy.

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 15:34
You're a fast learner.

Sludge you don't want discussion, you just want to shout louder than the next person and repeat yourself until you fall asleep hoping the rest give up. You'll go quiet then pounce on a completely different thread saying the same things over and over.

Sludge you don't want discussion, you just want to shout BOLLOX louder than the next person and repeat yourself until you fall asleep hoping the rest give up. You'll go quiet then pounce on a completely different thread saying the same things over and over.

Yep spot on :thumbup:

Maurice Swan
20-02-24, 16:02
HaHa ..have to laugh.....poor souls. When I got married ....1970...we lived in an upstairs flat (not apartment in those days...) in Porth. Bed propped up in one corner by a pile of books!!! Shit...we even had to ask my mother if she could lend us a fiver to but some plates and cutlery!! (she did...).

The prices from the OP are just ridiculous...as others have pointed out....prams...children's beds etc can easily be picked up for not too much money on ebay and the like.

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 16:03
Here they come, the out of touch baby boomers. During the war :old:

Maurice Swan
20-02-24, 16:06

Out of touch?? Baby boomers DURING the war....don't be silly.

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 16:12
Out of touch?? Baby boomers DURING the war....don't be silly.

Yes, out of touch, boomers havent got the first clue the financial pressures young people of today face. Rent is taking up more than 50% of peoples wages ffs. Thats before all the other bills and taxes on top. The kids of today wont be retiring in their 50s, getting caravans down west, or a nice little apartment in the med because they easily paid off their mortgage before they were 40.

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 16:13

How about forty years ago, for a young miner who may have just bought their first house with three kids, it was so much easier back then!

Tough times never last but tough people do!

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 16:17
How about forty years ago, for a young miner who may have just bought their first house with three kids, it was so much easier back then!

Tough times never last but tough people do!

They were some of the highest paid working class workers in the country and houses didnt cost 10 times their salary.

Of course ti was tough during the strike, and a tough graft for the men, but lets not pretend their familys were living in poverty when they were not on strike.

During the miners strike community pulled together to make sure families were fed. Now some young families who are not even on strike and work 2 jobs in a househols still cant afford to put food on the table. The rely on foodbanks and handouts like the striking miners and its just become "normal" to do so. But hey, young people today havent got it tough.

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 16:17
They were some of the highest paid workers in the country and houses didnt cost 10 times their salary.

They were just about to go on strike and many never worked in the mines again, most of the old ones were slammed on the long-term sick to fiddle with the figures.

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 16:24
They were just about to go on strike and many never worked in the mines again, most of the old ones were slammed on the long-term sick to fiddle with the figures.

How would you know Thatcher lover? You were too busy w*nking off to pictures of her in her sheer blouse you sicko.

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 16:28
How would you know Thatcher lover? You were too busy w*nking off to pictures of her in her sheer blouse you sicko.

Probably you, Pam was all you could get :hehe:

North Cardiff Blue
20-02-24, 16:32
They were some of the highest paid working class workers in the country and houses didnt cost 10 times their salary.

Of course ti was tough during the strike, and a tough graft for the men, but lets not pretend their familys were living in poverty when they were not on strike.

During the miners strike community pulled together to make sure families were fed. Now some young families who are not even on strike and work 2 jobs in a househols still cant afford to put food on the table. The rely on foodbanks and handouts like the striking miners and its just become "normal" to do so. But hey, young people today havent got it tough.

There was probably more poverty back then than now and the further you go back even more poverty, It is tough now but to think that all was rosey in the past is utter nonsense.

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 16:42
There was probably more poverty back then than now and the further you go back even more poverty, It is tough now but to think that all was rosey in the past is utter nonsense.

None so blind than those that will not see

splott parker
20-02-24, 17:38

Why harp on about the trials & tribulations of the past? Surely the ‘now’ is the important time. People are struggling and preaching to them that it was worse years ago doesn’t help whatsoever. The City were shite in the 30s, doesn’t make the present performances any more palatable.

Eric Cartman
20-02-24, 18:01
Why harp on about the trials & tribulations of the past? Surely the ‘now’ is the important time. People are struggling and preaching to them that it was worse years ago doesn’t help whatsoever. The City were shite in the 30s, doesn’t make the present performances any more palatable.

There are a generation who when everything is totted up, through basically no fault of their own, have ended up a fair bit ahead. Some of this generation don't like that being pointed out and it makes them defensive.

These are systemic issues that could be fixed if enough people wanted them to be.

Eric Cartman
20-02-24, 18:11

Nobody is saying the past was rosey. Times were tougher and jobs were on average tougher. The issue today is that the game is far more rigged against you, there isnt a route out, boomers had to scrimp, save and be sensible and they would emerge the other side as a homeowner with comfortable finances and a dignified, hopefully long, retirement.

There are millions of people now whose income and absolute base outgoings are such that this will not be possible for them. They aren't wasting money and they are doing jobs that absolutely need to be done but not being paid what they require to meet basic outgoings and plan for the future.

Maurice Swan
20-02-24, 18:33
Yes, out of touch, boomers havent got the first clue the financial pressures young people of today face. Rent is taking up more than 50% of peoples wages ffs. Thats before all the other bills and taxes on top. The kids of today wont be retiring in their 50s, getting caravans down west, or a nice little apartment in the med because they easily paid off their mortgage before they were 40.

Maybe they ought to do without takeaways...mobile phones....netflix etc etc....we all had pressures then......aka I could not afford a proper bed....I filled my bath with hot water from the kettle because the HW tank was broken and I could not afford to fix it.........get real....

splott parker
20-02-24, 19:05
Maybe they ought to do without takeaways...mobile phones....netflix etc etc....we all had pressures then......aka I could not afford a proper bed....I filled my bath with hot water from the kettle because the HW tank was broken and I could not afford to fix it.........get real....

Can’t you grasp that there are people who work hard, day in/day out, who just can’t keep their head above water. People like you telling them to ‘get real’ is so insulting. Well done to you, you got on, became a comfortable immigrant, to attain that is impossible for many, no matter how many hours they put in. Some are caught in a vicious circle with no escape, rent, food and a few home comforts is all they can afford with not a chance of putting a few bob away.

Maurice Swan
20-02-24, 19:19
Can’t you grasp that there are people who work hard, day in/day out, who just can’t keep their head above water. People like you telling them to ‘get real’ is so insulting. Well done to you, you got on, became a comfortable immigrant, to attain that is impossible for many, no matter how many hours they put in. Some are caught in a vicious circle with no escape, rent, food and a few home comforts is all they can afford with not a chance of putting a few bob away.

Quite honestly that is bollocks....you don't think I / we worked hard in past times? I used to commute two hours each way....You don't think I/we struggled to get on the housing ladder....? I didn't get a car until I was 25.....we bought second hand furniture....don't give me that crap - it was no different then.

Eric Cartman
20-02-24, 19:21

Get real, we all know that they would be buying that house right now if they cancelled their £7.99 subscription to netflix.

J R Hartley
20-02-24, 20:12

Put the Daily Mail down Maurice you f-ing clown

Dembe
20-02-24, 20:22
People taking the piss earlier in the thread about people with their Starbucks and avocado on toast, and in typical fashion here comes Maurice :hehe:falling hook line and sinker for the crap they put in the press.

Maurice Swan
20-02-24, 21:58
Put the Daily Mail down Maurice you f-ing clown

I sometimes wonder how someone can repeatedly embarrass himself.

Eric the Half a Bee
20-02-24, 22:15

I was talking to someone who is on UC recently. Apparently, every month they calculate how much UC you get from your earnings, but they take something like 55p for every £1 you earn. Say that person is asked if they can do an extra couple of hours another day on minimum wage. With what they lose out on from UC, they'll make perhaps £12 for 2 hours work, minus any transport costs, perhaps even childcare costs. That doesn't incentivise work.

Also, if you have hours that can vary, you could be in a position where that doesn't affect your UC until the following month, so you could think you're doing well one month, then your UC drops quite a bit and you're in a spot of bother.

Doucas
20-02-24, 22:22
We are seeing capitalism failing miserably as predicted by many.

Unchallenged greed from the richest which has infected our politics means we can't take the actions needed to provide basic necessities for British people e.g. housing.

It's always the same, people who say look after our own first completely lose their minds at programmes aimed to help the neediest in the UK.

This isn't all older people, it's good to see many on here recognise the challenges that young people face, but I swear a significant percentage of you have had your brains completely scrambled by lead paint as kids and for some reason you froth at the mouth at the possibility of recognising that society has regressed significantly under your watch.

To those saying go without netflix, I think comments like that show how out of touch you are with the reality of things at the moment, budgeting and working harder can no longer overcome systematic failures.

I bought my house in 2012 while in my early 20s, if I were looking to buy today instead I wouldn't be able to buy my own house which to me is staggering.

Eric the Half a Bee
20-02-24, 22:32
We are seeing capitalism failing miserably as predicted by many.

Unchallenged greed from the richest which has infected our politics means we can't take the actions needed to provide basic necessities for British people e.g. housing.

It's always the same, people who say look after our own first completely lose their minds at programmes aimed to help the neediest in the UK.

This isn't all older people, it's good to see many on here recognise the challenges that young people face, but I swear a significant percentage of you have had your brains completely scrambled by lead paint as kids and for some reason you froth at the mouth at the possibility of recognising that society has regressed significantly under your watch.

To those saying go without netflix, I think comments like that show how out of touch you are with the reality of things at the moment, budgeting and working harder can no longer overcome systematic failures.

I bought my house in 2012 while in my early 20s, if I were looking to buy today instead I wouldn't be able to buy my own house which to me is staggering.

So much is true in this post. Well said.

The comment you made, which I've highlighted in bold, sums things up so much.

Cut overseas aid. Let's not send millions to the EU. Let's look after ourselves.

"I can't get a new knee for 2 years. I've paid into the NHS all my life and I should be a priority." etc etc

Canton Kev
20-02-24, 22:47

So do I, but you never fail to deliver.

Tuerto
20-02-24, 22:50

Aint that the truth.

splott parker
20-02-24, 23:06

You were questioning black people’s haircuts the other week, dear God, you don’t live in France, you live on another planet. You bang on how you struggled, had bugger all but came through and made good and well done to you. This is because there were opportunities to do this in the past, those opportunities have, sadly, vanished for many, many hard working, decent people. You criticise them for attempting to live a normal life, giving their kids things they can barely afford. These folk are doing the best they can, making their homes as comfortable as possible, living as comfortable as possible despite the odds being against them.

You’ve made it quite clear that you sneer at struggling families because it’s all their own fault and the fact that they try and not get left behind is despicable and freeloading. And you’re not keen on those bloody black people having haircuts of their choice!!

Tuerto
20-02-24, 23:18
You were questioning black people’s haircuts the other week, dear God, you don’t live in France, you live on another planet. You bang on how you struggled, had bugger all but came through and made good and well done to you. This is because there were opportunities to do this in the past, those opportunities have, sadly, vanished for many, many hard working, decent people. You criticise them for attempting to live a normal life, giving their kids things they can barely afford. These folk are doing the best they can, making their homes as comfortable as possible, living as comfortable as possible despite the odds being against them.

You’ve made it quite clear that you sneer at struggling families because it’s all their own fault and the fact that they try and not get left behind is despicable and freeloading. And you’re not keen on those bloody black people having haircuts of their choice!!

He would prefer le Pen over Macron as well. And when called an immigrant, his reply indirect reply was that he was superior in comparison to other 'Immigrants'

Der Kaiser
20-02-24, 23:35

First things first, and not relevant one bit to this post - the streams posted by Maurice are so poor you’d think he’s taking commission.

Secondly, on the actual topic of the thread, of which I care little to none what the majority of this ageing, out of touch messageboard thinks - being under 30 is an absolute circus at the moment, unless you have a job in finance or are a tradesmen (from my understanding of their earnings).

Couldn’t give a **** about people during the 1940s, as someone in this thread has brought forward as a counter point, or anything else. There quite literally hasn’t been a worse time to be in your mid to late twenties since the Industrial Revolution.

I quite literally cannot wait for the mass extinction of the current crop of over 70s who have over stayed their welcome. Property market will free up and things will (hopefully) stabilise.

splott parker
20-02-24, 23:46
He would prefer le Pen over Macron as well. And when called an immigrant, his reply indirect reply was that he was superior in comparison to other 'Immigrants'

It’s a sobering thought that there are people still holding his type of views, not only holding them but repeating them on a messageboard. Although, perhaps that’s more preferable, we all know where he stands, it’s certainly not clandestine.

splott parker
20-02-24, 23:49
First things first, and not relevant one bit to this post - the streams posted by Maurice are so poor you’d think he’s taking commission.

Secondly, on the actual topic of the thread, of which I care little to none what the majority of this ageing, out of touch messageboard thinks - being under 30 is an absolute circus at the moment, unless you have a job in finance or are a tradesmen (from my understanding of their earnings).

Couldn’t give a **** about people during the 1940s, as someone in this thread has brought forward as a counter point, or anything else. There quite literally hasn’t been a worse time to be in your mid to late twenties since the Industrial Revolution.

I quite literally cannot wait for the mass extinction of the current crop of over 70s who have over stayed their welcome. Property market will free up and things will (hopefully) stabilise.

Over 70s:yikes::yikes: I’ve got a year to go!!!!:hehe:

Der Kaiser
20-02-24, 23:52
Over 70s:yikes::yikes: I’ve got a year to go!!!!:hehe:

God speed :hehe::hehe::hehe:

lardy
21-02-24, 00:42

As I said in another thread when you talked about netflix.

Everyone used to get a daily newspaper. It wasn't a luxury, it was the norm. If you want a daily newspaper now, the Sun for example is a quid a pop. Even if you don't buy it on weekends, that's 20 quid a month and double what Netflix costs.

That's just one example of many to show how much more expensive life is today than in your day. We could do bread and milk, electricity, it's all going to be the same.

lardy
21-02-24, 00:46

One thing I've learned as I've got older is that opportunity is probably a bigger factor in becoming successful than hard work or talent.

In another thread, Maurice said he got a decent job a few weeks after leaving school at 16. This would be unheard of today unless your family was already loaded.

North Cardiff Blue
21-02-24, 08:26
Nobody is saying the past was rosey. Times were tougher and jobs were on average tougher. The issue today is that the game is far more rigged against you, there isnt a route out, boomers had to scrimp, save and be sensible and they would emerge the other side as a homeowner with comfortable finances and a dignified, hopefully long, retirement.

There are millions of people now whose income and absolute base outgoings are such that this will not be possible for them. They aren't wasting money and they are doing jobs that absolutely need to be done but not being paid what they require to meet basic outgoings and plan for the future.

Good post :thumbup:

I appreciate it is tougher, being of a positive mindset I focus on how youngsters could avoid landing up in that situation, but I realise we are not all the same, and that some people are really struggling. How the hell do we deal with this mess, that is another matter!

North Cardiff Blue
21-02-24, 08:33
One thing I've learned as I've got older is that opportunity is probably a bigger factor in becoming successful than hard work or talent.

In another thread, Maurice said he got a decent job a few weeks after leaving school at 16. This would be unheard of today unless your family was already loaded.

People have to take those opportunities, we should be our own children's career advisers, if they are going to university look for a course that will at least lead to a well-paid job, otherwise, it's a waste of three years when they could be saving for a deposit for a house and working their way up the jobs ladder.

We should also be financially educating them letting them know that car finance on a fancy car is a quick way to lose a lot money on a depreciating liability that will reduce what they can borrow for a house purchase and that try and avoid any finance other than for a property full stop.

goats
21-02-24, 08:40
I don’t think all boomers or oldies are doing that well, my in laws aren’t, mid 70’s, sold their house 12 years ago, faffed about and didn’t buy another, spent half the money and now they can’t afford one…..

lardy
21-02-24, 09:26
People have to take those opportunities, we should be our own children's career advisers, if they are going to university look for a course that will at least lead to a well-paid job, otherwise, it's a waste of three years when they could be saving for a deposit for a house and working their way up the jobs ladder.

We should also be financially educating them letting them know that car finance on a fancy car is a quick way to lose a lot money on a depreciating liability that will reduce what they can borrow for a house purchase and that try and avoid any finance other than for a property full stop.

You think people in their 20s are struggling because they're buying brand new BMWs?

I'm definitely all for more financial education (I certainly had none during school) but that's a bonkers example :hehe:

J R Hartley
21-02-24, 10:47
As I said in another thread when you talked about netflix.

Everyone used to get a daily newspaper. It wasn't a luxury, it was the norm. If you want a daily newspaper now, the Sun for example is a quid a pop. Even if you don't buy it on weekends, that's 20 quid a month and double what Netflix costs.

That's just one example of many to show how much more expensive life is today than in your day. We could do bread and milk, electricity, it's all going to be the same.

My Nan and Gransha used to smoke about 80 fags a day between them and they only had his wage coming in to the house. He didnt drink but a lot of working men his age were also down the pub/social club several times a week. Sunday mornings on the piss down the club, home for a roast dinner.

What would the cost of that be these days? More than a Netlfix subscription, an avocado and the odd take-away I know!!!

J R Hartley
21-02-24, 10:52
I don’t think all boomers or oldies are doing that well, my in laws aren’t, mid 70’s, sold their house 12 years ago, faffed about and didn’t buy another, spent half the money and now they can’t afford one…..

My old man is still working at 71 hes never had so much money. Got his govenrment pension and his dirving job 40 hours a week, no mortgage since hes was 50, him and my mother go on 3/4 holidays abroad every year, twice as many weekends away in this country. They help me and my sister financially with their grandchildren so cant grumble but hes so out of touch with the pressures facing youngsters today, just because it doesnt really effect him, its frightening.

In fact, I cant say for definite but he could be posting on here as Maurice Swan.

Citizen's Nephew
21-02-24, 10:55
My Nan and Gransha used to smoke about 80 fags a day between them and they only had his wage coming in to the house. He didnt drink but a lot of working men his age were also down the pub/social club several times a week. Sunday mornings on the piss down the club, home for a roast dinner.

What would the cost of that be these days? More than a Netlfix subscription, an avocado and the odd take-away I know!!!

Exactly! It's like this sketch reading this thread.

https://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE?si=1Y1kOFDIjgpfx5PQ

J R Hartley
21-02-24, 10:59
Exactly! It's like this sketch reading this thread.

https://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE?si=1Y1kOFDIjgpfx5PQ

f-ing brilliant sketch :hehe:

Citizen's Nephew
21-02-24, 11:51
In fact, I cant say for definite but he could be posting on here as Maurice Swan.

:hehe: I missed this gem earlier!

J R Hartley
21-02-24, 11:53
:hehe: I missed this gem earlier!

:hehe:

Maurice Swan
21-02-24, 12:19
My old man ....... help me and my sister financially with their grandchildren so cant grumble but hes so out of touch with the pressures facing youngsters today, just because it doesnt really effect him, its frightening.

Well son, guess I am rumbled.....good thing you have me then...now just behave yourself and stop being abusive.......

Eric the Half a Bee
21-02-24, 12:29

Back in the day, beer and fags were relatively cheap. I remember paying around £2.50 for 20 Benny Hedgehogs and £1.30 a pint when I was 18. According to the BoE inflation calculator the fags would now cost £5 and the beer around £2.60.

Maurice Swan
21-02-24, 12:46
Back in the day, beer and fags were relatively cheap. I remember paying around £2.50 for 20 Benny Hedgehogs and £1.30 a pint when I was 18. According to the BoE inflation calculator the fags would now cost £5 and the beer around £2.60.

On the other hand....I got my first house in 1972......these were the interest rates in the years following (mortgage rates near..)
Bank rate at year end (%)*
1972 7.38
1979 17
1980 14
1981 14.375
1982 10
1983 9.0625
1984 9.5
1985 11.375
1986 10.875
1987 8.375
1988 12.875
1989 14.875
1990 13.875
1991 10.375
1992 6.875
1993 5.375
1994 6.125
1995 6.375
1996 5.9375
1997 7.25
1998 6.25
1999 5.5

jon1959
21-02-24, 12:54
On the other, other hand....

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/income-to-house-price-ratio-more-than-doubles-since-the-70s.html

House prices are currently sitting at 8.8 times the average earnings, more than doubling since the 1970s, according to new research from House Buyer Bureau.

The research shows that the average house price throughout the 1970s sat at just £9,277, the equivalent of £68,493 today after adjusting for inflation.

Although the average home may have been significantly more affordable when compared to the current market, the average earnings was also far lower at £2,265, or £16,723 after adjusting for inflation.

As a result, the average home during the 70s required 4.1 times income.

The 8.8 times average salary for an average house purchase today is UK wide. It is over 11x in London and nearer 6.5x in Wales.

Dembe
21-02-24, 13:28

J R Hartley
21-02-24, 13:38
Well son, guess I am rumbled.....good thing you have me then...now just behave yourself and stop being abusive.......

Fair play :hehe:

Eric Cartman
21-02-24, 13:42
Good post :thumbup:

I appreciate it is tougher, being of a positive mindset I focus on how youngsters could avoid landing up in that situation, but I realise we are not all the same, and that some people are really struggling. How the hell do we deal with this mess, that is another matter!

It's not about 'avoiding being in the situation' at a societal level though is it? In fact thinking about it in those terms distracts from the overall point. Yeah an individual can likely improve their own circumstances and move on from their low paid job with enough effort/practice etc. But if that low paid job absolutely needs to exist (you could lump in lots of vital front line roles to this category) then whoever is in that role will be in the circumstances outlined above. Far too many vital jobs don't pay enough for that person to meet basic obligations, especially when you look at it at a local/regional level. If a job pays the same across the country (as is the case in most of the public sector), that job requires some in person delivery but living costs vary drastically across the country then you have a crisis.

Eric Cartman
21-02-24, 13:47
On the other hand....I got my first house in 1972......these were the interest rates in the years following (mortgage rates near..)
Bank rate at year end (%)*
1972 7.38
1979 17
1980 14
1981 14.375
1982 10
1983 9.0625
1984 9.5
1985 11.375
1986 10.875
1987 8.375
1988 12.875
1989 14.875
1990 13.875
1991 10.375
1992 6.875
1993 5.375
1994 6.125
1995 6.375
1996 5.9375
1997 7.25
1998 6.25
1999 5.5

What proportion of your household income was taken up paying interest?

The average house price in the county I live in is north of 13x the median full time income.

You can have 'life was hard' but if you think that buying a house and maintaining payments on it then was harder than it is now then you are just plain bonkers.

North Cardiff Blue
21-02-24, 16:35
My old man is still working at 71 hes never had so much money. Got his govenrment pension and his dirving job 40 hours a week, no mortgage since hes was 50, him and my mother go on 3/4 holidays abroad every year, twice as many weekends away in this country. They help me and my sister financially with their grandchildren so cant grumble but hes so out of touch with the pressures facing youngsters today, just because it doesnt really effect him, its frightening.

North Cardiff Blue
21-02-24, 16:43
On the other, other hand....

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/income-to-house-price-ratio-more-than-doubles-since-the-70s.html

House prices are currently sitting at 8.8 times the average earnings, more than doubling since the 1970s, according to new research from House Buyer Bureau.

The research shows that the average house price throughout the 1970s sat at just £9,277, the equivalent of £68,493 today after adjusting for inflation.

Although the average home may have been significantly more affordable when compared to the current market, the average earnings was also far lower at £2,265, or £16,723 after adjusting for inflation.

As a result, the average home during the 70s required 4.1 times income.

The 8.8 times average salary for an average house purchase today is UK wide. It is over 11x in London and nearer 6.5x in Wales.

Everything has changed a TV was a fortune back then the majority of houses were bought on one wage, hence most of the difference.

North Cardiff Blue
22-02-24, 08:55
Get real, we all know that they would be buying that house right now if they cancelled their £7.99 subscription to netflix.

Netflix is nothing and mostly they use IPTV or their parent's accounts, it's the gap years, traveling, excess holidays, car finance, gym membership, tattoos, clothes, coke, dope, steroids, booze, fags, vapes, hair, brows, lashes, tans, nails and that's just the blokes :hehe:

Doucas
22-02-24, 09:16
Netflix is nothing and mostly they use IPTV or their parent's accounts, it's the gap years, traveling, excess holidays, car finance, gym membership, tattoos, clothes, coke, dope, steroids, booze, fags, vapes, hair, brows, lashes, tans, nails and that's just the blokes :hehe:

You are clueless.

Nobody's Rep
22-02-24, 09:54

That is no young adults I know - most I know are trying to find there way as decent people who want to work and live a decent life without the excess you describe in your post - not sure if it was a wind up or not

North Cardiff Blue
22-02-24, 10:05
That is no young adults I know - most I know are trying to find there way as decent people who want to work and live a decent life without the excess you describe in your post - not sure if it was a wind up or not

Partly joking partly true, like oldies some are very sensible and switched on some are not.

My kids bought fairly easily in their early twenties, but some of their friends still can't with a similar start in life, there is no wrong or right everyone can do what suits them best.