PDA

View Full Version : Energy Provider ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 20:13
I find EON a complete pain in the arse with their billing

It's completely impossible to understand

Anyone get a nice easy bill and good service from any of them ?

JumpersforGoalposts
26-02-24, 20:30
I've found EDF the best over the years, but by no means the cheapest.
I am currently with EON Next who are truly dreadful, but relatively cheap.

The Bloop
26-02-24, 20:35
I use Octopus. Haven't got a smart meter so just submit my readings online each month. A day or so later they email me my bill. Easy enough to understand in that I can see how much each month how much of a rip off the Standing charges are.

bobh
26-02-24, 20:39
I use Octopus. Haven't got a smart meter so just submit my readings online each month. A day or so later they email me my bill. Easy enough to understand in that I can see how much each month how much of a rip off the Standing charges are.

I'm with Shell, and share your experience.
They keep ringing/texting me to have a smart meter but I keep saying no.

2b2bdoo
26-02-24, 20:46
I’m with Octopus and find them amazing, I would happily pay a little more rather than change. The fact you can actually email them and they respond rather than calling someone like BT and being on hold for an hour before actually getting to speak to someone.

The Bills seem very simple and it shows the DD going out to compare. I do have a smart meter but I know you can submit meter readings very easily on the app.

RichardM
26-02-24, 20:47
Another vote for Octopus.

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:13
I've found EDF the best over the years, but by no means the cheapest.
I am currently with EON Next who are truly dreadful, but relatively cheap.

EON next are shocking

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:15

I have heard good things about octopus

EON have just fitted a smart meter for me but the invoices are all over the shop and if I e mail them the replies look they have been sent by 5 year old kids

splott parker
26-02-24, 21:16
Yep, I’m with Octopus. No complaints, all pretty straightforward & transparent.

The Bloop
26-02-24, 21:17
I'm with Shell, and share your experience.
They keep ringing/texting me to have a smart meter but I keep saying no.

They don't call me anymore but each time I open the app its a plea to get a smart meter

Undercoverinwurzelland
26-02-24, 21:18
Another vote for Octopus.
And another.

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:18
I’m with Octopus and find them amazing, I would happily pay a little more rather than change. The fact you can actually email them and they respond rather than calling someone like BT and being on hold for an hour before actually getting to speak to someone.

The Bills seem very simple and it shows the DD going out to compare. I do have a smart meter but I know you can submit meter readings very easily on the app.

Eon are cheapish but absolutely crap

I changed my Internet provider to plusnet and they are utterly hopeless too

Nationalise the lot of them

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:20
They don't call me anymore but each time I open the app its a plea to get a smart meter

Martin Lewis said if you are offered one then take it

Why don't people like them ?

Eon have just installed mine , if I give them the elbow can octopus use the same one ?

Undercoverinwurzelland
26-02-24, 21:21

Eon have just installed mine , if I give them the elbow can octopus use the same one ?
Yes they can.

2b2bdoo
26-02-24, 21:22

Yeah I think so, I have a new build so mine were originally with British Gas and I moved to octopus. They also came out and replaced one as British Gas didn’t do the gas one properly.

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:26
Yes they can.

Thanks

So I just phone them up and they do everything ?

What contract ?

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:26
Yeah I think so, I have a new build so mine were originally with British Gas and I moved to octopus. They also came out and replaced one as British Gas didn’t do the gas one properly.

Cheers appreciate it

The Bloop
26-02-24, 21:28

I don't want one because I don't want to spend my time looking at it then trying to reduce my hourly or daily spend.

superfeathers
26-02-24, 21:31
With eon but aren’t they all much of a muchness? Just pay the direct debit each month.

One of my first jobs was working at Atlantic electric and gas call centre, I couldn’t understand the bills while working there so got no hope now.

On smart meters, they want you to have one too much. Puts me right off.

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 21:34
I don't want one because I don't want to spend my time looking at it then trying to reduce my hourly or daily spend.

I only have heating on in two rooms in the winter so my bills are affordable .....obviously not everyone is as fortunate ......so I don't get hyperactive about it

Alan Lung
26-02-24, 21:39
You're absolutely out of your mind if you're getting a smart meter.

2b2bdoo
26-02-24, 21:39
Cheers appreciate it

https://share.octopus.energy/loved-coral-950

I think you can use the link here, they should do it all for you. It says if anyone uses the link we share £100. Don’t feel you need to tho I was just finding a link and it came up. There website should point you in the right direction.

2b2bdoo
26-02-24, 21:42
You're absolutely out of your mind if you're getting a smart meter.

What’s the reason? Like I said I have a new build so we didn’t have a choice but I find them great.

The Bloop
26-02-24, 21:46
I only have heating on in two rooms in the winter so my bills are affordable .....obviously not everyone is as fortunate ......so I don't get hyperactive about it

Same here. I appreciate that smart meters are useful for many, but as you say, if my bills are affordable to me I'm not going to stress about them.

Dave Blue
26-02-24, 21:52
Octopus. I find them very good.

PontBlue
26-02-24, 21:57

You don't need to switch on the in-home display. As soon as it's installed and setup you can unplug the display and pop it in a drawer.

goats
26-02-24, 21:58
And another.

Me too….they will mail you back almost straight away…..

B. Oddie
26-02-24, 22:10
Ecotricity.

Undercoverinwurzelland
26-02-24, 22:12
Thanks

So I just phone them up and they do everything ?

What contract ?
I think so.

They've got a few - variable, fixed. Hard to know what's best with prices the way they are at the moment. Mine's fixed until the summer. Not sure if I'll fix it again or not.

Nobody's Rep
26-02-24, 22:18
All robbing Kent's and I reckon these smart meters will be the subject of huge compensation in a few years time akin to ppi

Pedro de la Rosa
26-02-24, 22:21
All robbing Kent's and I reckon these smart meters will be the subject of huge compensation in a few years time akin to ppi

Provided the smart meter works, it should save people money and could help massively the energy industry.

I'd go with Octopus. I've seen how the sausage is made, and their billing system works.

Pedro de la Rosa
26-02-24, 22:23
I think so.

They've got a few - variable, fixed. Hard to know what's best with prices the way they are at the moment. Mine's fixed until the summer. Not sure if I'll fix it again or not.

It's a bit of a guess. If you can fix, and you're getting a cheaper fix than you're paying now I'd take it as it gives piece of mind. I have.

Nobody's Rep
26-02-24, 22:25
Provided the smart meter works, it should save people money and could help massively the energy industry.

I'd go with Octopus. I've seen how the sausage is made, and their billing system works.

I'm with octopus and after a year they admitted there was a fault both on the device and our actual gas meter but only now the main meter changed still waiting on the smart meter - clueless for me

Pedro de la Rosa
26-02-24, 22:30
I'm with octopus and after a year they admitted there was a fault both on the device and our actual gas meter but only now the main meter changed still waiting on the smart meter - clueless for me

If there's a fault with the main meter, then you're going to have an issue with the smart meter.

Either way, they can't charge you for more consumption as it is over a year old so don't fret. Drop the word ombudsman in, they'll shit themselves and it'll get resolved v quickly.

insider
26-02-24, 23:00
Utility warehouse
No complaints.

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 23:03

I think you can use the link here, they should do it all for you. It says if anyone uses the link we share £100. Don’t feel you need to tho I was just finding a link and it came up. There website should point you in the right direction.

That's cheaper than eon for the flexible tariff

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 23:04
Utility warehouse
No complaints.

What about broadband ? Are you with utility warehouse as well?

SLUDGE FACTORY
26-02-24, 23:05
I think so.

Cheers

Gofer Blue
26-02-24, 23:40
We are with Octopus. Can endorse all the previous comments. I get a text message every month to submit meter reading and then the bill about 2 days later. Easy to understand. No pressure to have a smart meter, which I don't want anyway as I can submit the reading by text in seconds.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 00:02
We are with Octopus. Can endorse all the previous comments. I get a text message every month to submit meter reading and then the bill about 2 days later. Easy to understand. No pressure to have a smart meter, which I don't want anyway as I can submit the reading by text in seconds.

Rock n Roll

RichardM
27-02-24, 06:40

Why?

Cyclops
27-02-24, 07:04
I'm with British Gas.
Re: billing, BG has recently installed a new program as there were glitches in the old system. It's still not perfect.
On one page they inform you of the amount you owe which differs to the figure on another page. Only one includes 5% VAT.
Also, I don't like having to apply a formula every time I want to work out the cost of electricity.
I find the only way to get some action is not to bother dealing with agents, but immediately make a complaint.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 07:36
I'm with British Gas.
Re: billing, BG has recently installed a new program as there were glitches in the old system. It's still not perfect.
On one page they inform you of the amount you owe which differs to the figure on another page. Only one includes 5% VAT.
Also, I don't like having to apply a formula every time I want to work out the cost of electricity.
I find the only way to get some action is not to bother dealing with agents, but immediately make a complaint.

The e mails I get from EON are on occasion impossible to understand

They send me texts regarding payment when I have have repeatedly told them I want bills to my e mail with a link for payment

They agree to that, tell me its been sorted then I start getting texts again

The timing of these communications are all over the place and I am amazed they are still in business

poc
27-02-24, 08:37
im with octopus had a few problems took a while to sort out but i think its more to do with the poor signal here sending readings, the bills as others have said are easy i pay in full every month seems to be ok

A Quiet Monkfish
27-02-24, 08:44
Ovo. Have been cheapest for us for 2/3 years. The 2nd generation smart meters are a great help when changing suppliers as the readings are automatically uploaded to both companies. As for gadgets to tell me how much electricity I'm using, I have a thing called life which I prefer to get on with..

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 08:56

You don't have to, I used to when it was new but now it's just unplugged and in the cupboard.

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 09:01
I've been on a fixed rate for two and a half years, and missed the price rises so pretty lucky, but it comes to an end next month.

I have a smart meter with Brittish Gas, they change there DD and review six monthly it seems to work out ok and bills are easy enough to follow.

I'll probably look again next month but not sure if fixed deals are any good since the rises?

cantonboy
27-02-24, 09:13
I'm with octopus, take my readings once a month get reminders a few days before the DD is taken, then get a bill and account update a few days after taking the readings. They are easy to understand and on the rare occasions I have needed to speak to them, I actually can get a human and their customer service is very good.
With prices due to fall in April it might be worth waiting until then and looking after you know the full picture.
I cannot fault octopus at all.

dandywarhol
27-02-24, 09:57
What's the point in changing suppliers.
They all charge the government's energy cap now.
No competition.

pipster
27-02-24, 10:37
Octopus (used to be coop I believe)
Send exact results each month get an exact bill back
And they aren’t foreign owned (i think)

insider
27-02-24, 11:03
What about broadband ? Are you with utility warehouse as well?
Yes broadband electric gas and land line.
The more utilities you have the more discount.
I'm about to knock the land-line on the head as I never use it.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 11:20
Yes broadband electric gas and land line.
The more utilities you have the more discount.
I'm about to knock the land-line on the head as I never use it.

Can you say its cheaper or just better to have one bill monthly with no arsing about and that's why you have it ?

fred keenor
27-02-24, 11:38
Octopus tracker, been on this since last february
Todays prices
OctopusTracker Southern daily price update vs EPC - 27/02/2024

Dec Tariff - Electric kWh - 17.87p (38% less, 2% change), Gas kWh - 3.86p (48% less, 3% change
Varies by day but at this point never gone above SVT
Gas has been approx 50% cheaper since last autumn
Elect was down to 8p a unit over christmas
You are not tied in and if prices rocket you have the option of changing back
Was no 1 uk hot deal last year

fred keenor
27-02-24, 11:40
https://www.hotukdeals.com/share-deal-from-app/4159026

New version is dec 2023 and reflected in above prices

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 12:26
Todays prices

Dec Tariff - Electric kWh - 17.87p (38% less, 2% change), Gas kWh - 3.86p (48% less, 3% change

That's not available where I am

It's fixed or variable

fred keenor
27-02-24, 12:39
Variable by day but consistently cheaper by around 40% over the last 12 months
Wholsale prices are on the floor which makes a mockery of the latest ofgem tarriff

fred keenor
27-02-24, 12:42
You have to change to octopus first then change over to tracker

https://gcccc4f6c5ed303-stjqaiwj9fvoaef2.adb.uk-london-1.oraclecloudapps.com/ords/r/gastracker2024/gas-tracker/wholesale-gas

Current wholesale prices

Robin Friday's Ghost
27-02-24, 12:57
British Gas. Absolute sh1te but so bad in fact that I keep taking them to the Ombudsman and getting compensation. Three times now. I don't get free energy but it's hugely discounted because of their incompetence.

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 12:58

https://gcccc4f6c5ed303-stjqaiwj9fvoaef2.adb.uk-london-1.oraclecloudapps.com/ords/r/gastracker2024/gas-tracker/wholesale-gas

Current wholesale prices

Nice one that looks the way to go :thumbup:

Just checked my fixed rate runs out 31st March, so I'll look again then :thumbup:

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 12:59
British Gas. Absolute sh1te but so bad in fact that I keep taking them to the Ombudsman and getting compensation. Three times now. I don't get free energy but it's hugely discounted because of their incompetence.

What type of complaints, service related?

Michael Morris
27-02-24, 13:03
I was with Green, a couple of years ago they went under and my account was taken over by Shell. Now they've sold the accounts and I have just received an email that I am now an Octopus customer.

Shell have been pretty good. They take the readings direct from the 'Smart' meter (smart as in it sends them the readings but not a latest meter that allows us to see usage via a device.)

Ultimately it's all down to usage. If you get one company saying they can reduce your direct debit they will soon increase it again if you are using more energy.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:04

Current wholesale prices

I am changing to octopus flex

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:05

I left those idiots now I am leaving eon as they are almost as bad

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:06
I was with Green, a couple of years ago they went under and my account was taken over by Shell. Now they've sold the accounts and I have just received an email that I am now an Octopus customer.

Shell have been pretty good. They take the readings direct from the 'Smart' meter (smart as in it sends them the readings but not a latest meter that allows us to see usage via a device.)

Ultimately it's all down to usage. If you get one company saying they can reduce your direct debit they will soon increase it again if you are using more energy.

Yep my mate is on shell energy and also on them for broadband ?

No hassle he says

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:07
What type of complaints, service related?

Complaints as in they are incompetent

goats
27-02-24, 13:18
Todays prices

If gas is cheaper than last year then how come I’m pay almost £300 a month, last year it was £200!
Heating running same schedule as last year (with octopus)

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:19
Flexible Octopus

Current estimate winter usage 110 quid a month

March to November reduces

Use existing smart meter

Send me monthly text with bill and link to account for card payment

It's like dealing with grown ups

RichardM
27-02-24, 13:21
What's the point in changing suppliers.
They all charge the government's energy cap now.
No competition.

No they don't, there fixed rate deals around. Have a look on Money Saving Expert

goats
27-02-24, 13:26
That's not available where I am

It's fixed or variable

Yes no tracker option, either fixed or variable 12 month. The flexible one appears to be the most expensive one and I’m on it

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:29
Yes no tracker option, either fixed or variable 12 month. The flexible one appears to be the most expensive one and I’m on it

I can get tracker but need to be on fixed or variable first ?

goats
27-02-24, 13:39

I’m not sure sludge….im just on flexible, I guess I won’t change now as might be cheaper in April….

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 13:53
I would stick with what you have then look for savings with Octopus

Unless you have found them difficult

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 13:58

Variable :thumbup:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2024/02/energy-bills-to-fall-as-new-price-cap-announced/

Existing Octopus customers could consider its Octopus Tracker tariff (if you're not already with Octopus, you can try switching to its standard variable tariff, then switch to this). Its rates change daily based on wholesale costs, meaning it's been substantially cheaper than the Price Cap in recent months.

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 14:02
I’m not sure sludge….im just on flexible, I guess I won’t change now as might be cheaper in April….

I'd wait till April and then look at the tracker.

SLUDGE FACTORY
27-02-24, 14:04
Variable :thumbup:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2024/02/energy-bills-to-fall-as-new-price-cap-announced/

Existing Octopus customers could consider its Octopus Tracker tariff (if you're not already with Octopus, you can try switching to its standard variable tariff, then switch to this). Its rates change daily based on wholesale costs, meaning it's been substantially cheaper than the Price Cap in recent months.

You have to be on variable tariff for a period before you can be considered for tracker

And it's not available everywhere

fred keenor
27-02-24, 14:05
You have to change to octopus first , there is a fifty £50 sweetener for joining if you have a link
Once confirmed then tracker dec 23 is open to everyone
The current prices reflect wholesale prices, octopus still make a profit and you get you gas and elect much cheaper
Current Ofgem SVT is daylight robbery , prices at wholesale are now at pre 2020 prices
Today I’m at 17p elec and gas 3.9p

poc
27-02-24, 14:13
You have to change to octopus first , there is a fifty £50 sweetener for joining if you have a link
Once confirmed then tracker dec 23 is open to everyone
The current prices reflect wholesale prices, octopus still make a profit and you get you gas and elect much cheaper
Current Ofgem SVT is daylight robbery , prices at wholesale are now at pre 2020 prices
Today I’m at 17p elec and gas 3.9p

its not open for me ?

goats
27-02-24, 14:29
I'd wait till April and then look at the tracker.

Yep

North Cardiff Blue
27-02-24, 15:12
You have to be on variable tariff for a period before you can be considered for tracker

And it's not available everywhere

I know but you have to switch to an octopus variable and then they will allow you to switch to the tracker, I'll do it too in April.

Only problem would be if Putin starts to ration the gas again, it could push the price right up, it's a gamble but I'll take the risk.

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 11:40
I know but you have to switch to an octopus variable and then they will allow you to switch to the tracker, I'll do it too in April.

Only problem would be if Putin starts to ration the gas again, it could push the price right up, it's a gamble but I'll take the risk.

120 quid per month on medium usage in a 2 bed house

That's with EON

Some say they are quite low and some are far more expensive

It's an absolute crap show

North Cardiff Blue
29-02-24, 12:01
120 quid per month on medium usage in a 2 bed house

That's with EON

Some say they are quite low and some are far more expensive

It's an absolute crap show

Aye it's expensive, but that tracker looks cheaper to me when my deal finally ends.

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 12:04
Aye it's expensive, but that tracker looks cheaper to me when my deal finally ends.

I am definitely leaving eon for octopus their administrative side is shabby

They are absolutely clueless

dandywarhol
29-02-24, 12:56
I am definitely leaving eon for octopus their administrative side is shabby

They are absolutely clueless
I started a switch to octopus from edf.octopus wanted one month in advance.That would have meant paying edf what I owed them ,then within days paying octopus one month in advance.
I cancelled and stayed with EDF..Most offers these days require a smart meter.
I read my meters every month,send the readings to edf,then pay what I owe by direct debit.I wish I was paying 120 quid per month on medium usage in a 2 bed house .I've got a end terrace old house with an extension.It's ****ing freezing..Plus son works from home although he coughs up his share.

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 13:04
I started a switch to octopus from edf.octopus wanted one month in advance.That would have meant paying edf what I owed them ,then within days paying octopus one month in advance.
I cancelled and stayed with EDF..Most offers these days require a smart meter.
I read my meters every month,send the readings to edf,then pay what I owe by direct debit.I wish I was paying 120 quid per month on medium usage in a 2 bed house .I've got a end terrace old house with an extension.It's ****ing freezing..Plus son works from home although he coughs up his share.

I take it you pay a fair bit more then

Why don't you want a smart meter ?

When I change from EON I will still be paying on energy used it's just I won't have to send in readings

Once a month , card payment , exact usage

None of this direct debit nonsense

poc
29-02-24, 13:12
I take it you pay a fair bit more then

Why don't you want a smart meter ?

When I change from EON I will still be paying on energy used it's just I won't have to send in readings

Once a month , card payment , exact usage

None of this direct debit nonsense

ask octopus for a variable pay in full direct debit its cheaper than a card payment :thumbup:

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 13:15
ask octopus for a variable pay in full direct debit its cheaper than a card payment :thumbup:

Is that to pay the actual amount used , monthly ?

Because eon wanted me to set up a direct debit and their estimate was based on the most expensive winter payment so I told em no chance

Dave Blue
29-02-24, 13:19

Because eon wanted me to set up a direct debit and their estimate was based on the most expensive winter payment so I told em no chance

The direct debit is divided by 12 based on anticipated annual consumption

Taunton Blue Genie
29-02-24, 13:20
I asked a friend who works for EDF about switching to Octopus and she explained that their staff are not that savvy regarding the accounting side of it even though their Kraken system has been adopted by both e.on and EDF.

poc
29-02-24, 13:34

yes ,you get a monthly bill approx 2 weeks later they take what you owe /used, all done for you :thumbup: if you want to you can send in the reading from your ihd i think its about 8% cheaper than you paying it by card

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 13:35
The direct debit is divided by 12 based on anticipated annual consumption

The problem is that with 6 months of the year needing more heating and light a reasonable usage is bumped up

The estimate I was given was 12 x the 120 I use in the winter

So it was taking the piss and several hundred over my actual usage which in the mild months of November and February was very close to spring and summer amounts

I wasn't having that dave

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 13:36
I asked a friend who works for EDF about switching to Octopus and she explained that their staff are not that savvy regarding the accounting side of it even though their Kraken system has been adopted by both e.on and EDF.

Kraken ?

Taunton Blue Genie
29-02-24, 13:56
Kraken ?

Indeed, the accounting system. Named by the Octopus people, no doubt.

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 14:01

Thought it was a town in Poland that fell to the nazis

poc
29-02-24, 14:04
yes ,you get a monthly bill approx 2 weeks later they take what you owe /used, all done for you :thumbup: if you want to you can send in the reading from your ihd i think its about 8% cheaper than you paying it by card

mine as an example is billed 18//19th of the month and the the direct debit for the full amount you owe/ used is taken 4/5th of the next month

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 14:07

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 14:08
mine as an example is billed 18//19th of the month and the the direct debit for the full amount you owe/ used is taken 4/5th of the next month

I would find that tedious

Taunton Blue Genie
29-02-24, 14:13

Are you going to Krakow again this evening?

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 15:46
Are you going to Krakow again this evening?

Krackerjack

dandywarhol
29-02-24, 20:12
This is what I do with edf.Just send in the readings.
I don't want a smart meter as I'm hoping to move.The new owners can make the decision whether they want a smart meter or not.

SLUDGE FACTORY
29-02-24, 21:09
This is what I do with edf.Just send in the readings.
I don't want a smart meter as I'm hoping to move.The new owners can make the decision whether they want a smart meter or not.

I would assume that eventually you will have no choice in the matter in the same way phonelines are being unplugged

North Cardiff Blue
01-03-24, 08:59
The problem is that with 6 months of the year needing more heating and light a reasonable usage is bumped up

The estimate I was given was 12 x the 120 I use in the winter

So it was taking the piss and several hundred over my actual usage which in the mild months of November and February was very close to spring and summer amounts

I wasn't having that dave

If you are paying too much and build up a credit you can reduce the DD at next review, it's as broad as it's long, as long as it's cheaper in the end.

goats
01-04-24, 07:19
Bump….

goats
01-04-24, 07:35
So my flexible octopus is coming in roughly the same as their loyal fixed, and with prices set to fall in July again I might just stay on my flexible tariff for now. You can guarantee it will rise next October so I might wait until the summer to fix a deal to get through next winter. I’m sure Putin will do something to make it a bit more expensive too……

SLUDGE FACTORY
01-04-24, 08:00
So my flexible octopus is coming in roughly the same as their loyal fixed, and with prices set to fall in July again I might just stay on my flexible tariff for now. You can guarantee it will rise next October so I might wait until the summer to fix a deal to get through next winter. I’m sure Putin will do something to make it a bit more expensive too……

I switched to octopus, same sort of price as eon but easy to deal with

Eon were incompetent

dandywarhol
01-04-24, 13:45
This site is known to be one of the most accurate energy price forecasters
https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/cornwall-insight-release-price-cap-forecasts-for-2024/

bluesp
01-04-24, 14:13
According to Martin Lewis the best fix is currently the EDF 1 year version. I’ve just switched to it from the standard variable tariff from the same provider.

Des Parrot
01-04-24, 16:06
Another vote for Octopus from me. I was with Bulb & when they went bump Octopus took over the account. Their website is very good as is their communication.

G rangetown Blue
01-04-24, 17:31

The standing charges are ridiculous (I’m with Octopus)….over 60p per DAY !…. WTF.

G rangetown Blue
01-04-24, 17:35
What’s the reason? Like I said I have a new build so we didn’t have a choice but I find them great.

Lots of nonsense spouted about smart meters, usually by people who haven’t got a clue about them! They are very good at providing accurate bills, and (contrary to what some tin hatters think), do not impact in any way on your privacy.

Alan Lung
01-04-24, 19:33
Lots of nonsense spouted about smart meters, usually by people who haven’t got a clue about them! They are very good at providing accurate bills, and (contrary to what some tin hatters think), do not impact in any way on your privacy.

Oh dear.

NinianKnight
02-04-24, 08:47

I'm with Octopus and I agree they are generally very good.
The only negative from my perspective was their energy predictor which they were pushing last Autumn. It doesn’t take in individual circumstances and if I had followed their ‘recommendation’ to increase my DD to the levels they suggested then I would have overpaid by £100’s.
I would have eventually got the money back I don’t believe in lending energy companies large amounts of money at 0% interest!

NinianKnight
02-04-24, 08:49

I have had a smart meter for about 4 years now. I have never had a problem with them and as you said they provide accurate billing and I have definately saved a lot of money over that time

G rangetown Blue
02-04-24, 17:06
Oh dear.

Oh dear what ? …..You know something none of us know?

North Cardiff Blue
09-04-24, 12:59

I'm using your link, it says it will give you £50 :thumbup:

Thanks it's useful :thumbup:

2b2bdoo
09-04-24, 13:14
I'm using your link, it says it will give you £50 :thumbup:

Thanks it's useful :thumbup:

I just had an email and thought who is that haha.

Thanks for using the link :)

North Cardiff Blue
09-04-24, 13:23
I just had an email and thought who is that haha.

Thanks for using the link :)

Nice one, I signed up flexible for now, are they still doing that tracker account, I can switch to that at a later date if they still do.

2b2bdoo
09-04-24, 13:49
Nice one, I signed up flexible for now, are they still doing that tracker account, I can switch to that at a later date if they still do.

I’m not sure, I’m still on the flexible as well.

G rangetown Blue
11-04-24, 09:57
I emailed Octopus, and now they’ve put me on a “loyal customer tariff” ….£120 / month less ! **I chose the variable opinion.

North Cardiff Blue
11-04-24, 10:19
I emailed Octopus, and now they’ve put me on a “loyal customer tariff” ….£120 / month less ! **I chose the variable opinion.

I'm going to switch from Variable to Octopus Tracker April 2024 v1 the unit costs are much cheaper and Martin Lewis has done extensive research says don't get any fixed rate deals.

Brittish Gas have just rung me to retain and offered their best fixed rate similar to Octopus and £175 credit to stop my switch, but I think I'll still proceed and switch to the Tracker.

Electricity
Unit rate:
16.32 p/kWh
Standing charge:
61.19 p/day
Gas
Unit rate:
4.32 p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.47 p/day
Description
Tracker gives you the most transparent energy pricing in the UK. Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price. The unit rate is capped at 100p/kWh for electricity and 30p/kWh for gas (including VAT).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/are-there-any-cheap-fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it/

The Octopus Tracker tariff – prices change daily based on wholesale rates

It's available to existing Octopus customers (though others can just switch first to its standard tariff, then to this) as a dual-fuel, electricity-only or gas-only tariff.

Rates change daily depending on wholesale costs (and where you live), which makes it more of a gamble, but over recent months it would've very substantially undercut the Price Cap.

If it does start to get expensive, you can just switch back to its price-capped standard tariff (though it may take two weeks and you can't go back to the Tracker for nine months). Plus you'll need to get a smart meter if you don't already have one.

While rates are cheaper right now, they can spike suddenly if wholesale costs rise
How much one week's energy would cost
Octopus has recently changed how it calculates unit rates for this tariff

Taunton Blue Genie
11-04-24, 13:35
According to Martin Lewis the best fix is currently the EDF 1 year version. I’ve just switched to it from the standard variable tariff from the same provider.

Same here.

NinianKnight
11-04-24, 14:28
The standing charges are ridiculous (I’m with Octopus)….over 60p per DAY !…. WTF.

It went up to 90p a day last week. Just switched to Utilita on a no standing charge accunt. It is good for me as I don't use much energy.

splott parker
11-04-24, 16:55
It went up to 90p a day last week. Just switched to Utilita on a no standing charge accunt. It is good for me as I don't use much energy.

There’s a Cardiff City pun there, somewhere:hehe: