PDA

View Full Version : Bristol or Swansea?

Father Dougal
10-03-24, 13:46
Who do you want to win/lose today?

Yes I know want both to lose etc etc......

But any preference?

Only ask as after our win at Bristol was some talk on twitter that Bristol was actually the bigger Derby for us and we have therefore done the double that matters already.

The Swansea rivalry is secondary to Bristol was the view of some.

It always seems odd to me there are many who claim Bristol are our rivals not swansea yet anyone who has attended any Derby or even any cardiff game for the last 35 years or so would find that impossible to believe?

xsnaggle
10-03-24, 13:52
My father followed city all his life and he always maintained that Bristol was the "Must win" game. The rivalry was intense. You must remember that for a very very longtime Swansea wasn't anywhere near the same league as us.

Father Dougal
10-03-24, 14:00
My father followed city all his life and he always maintained that Bristol was the "Must win" game. The rivalry was intense. You must remember that for a very very longtime Swansea wasn't anywhere near the same league as us.

Anyone under 45/50 would say swansea?

xsnaggle
10-03-24, 14:01

I'm in no position to argue that :hehe::hehe::hehe:

barrybloo
10-03-24, 14:03
They're both c**ts, but Bristol are English as well.

Moodybluebird
10-03-24, 14:04
It's historic. You have to remember that from the mid 60's to the late 70's Swansea were either 1 or 2 leagues below the City. During this period Bristol were in the same league as us. We tended to play Swansea only in Welsh Cup games and while it was great to beat them, the real rivalry was with our friends over the bridge. My son on the other hand, who only started watching the City in the late 80's has the same opinion as you.

AlwaysFeelinBlue
10-03-24, 14:22
Swansea home this year was 28k, Bristol was 25k attendance
(seems to be more for the Swansea game for the past few years as well)

Michael Morris
10-03-24, 14:26
FT: Bristol C 1 - 0 Swansea

the other bob wilson
10-03-24, 14:30

I’d say anyone over, say, 72 would probably feel the same, I’m 68 though and it’ll always be the wurzels for me for the reasons set out by Moodybluebird, although I’m not sure I would have said the same before the game with the jacks just before Christmas 1993 when their fans were an absolute disgrace.

Nobody's Rep
10-03-24, 14:31
My hatred of Swansea is deep and hope they disappear into oblivion as soon as possible

Bristol I'm like "meh" - I want us to win every game but I hate losing to Swansea so much

Maybe it is because I grew up in Cardiff but my adult years 21 on I lived in neath and have had a few issues over the years - I don't know but anyway glad they lost today 👍👍

Dave Blue
10-03-24, 14:43
Neither, sometimes it’s impossible to make a decision and just relish whoever loses

dml1954
10-03-24, 14:56

Jacks are in trouble. 73% possession today and over 600 passes but no shots on target. Toothless and aimless sums that up. If we beat them they wont be far off the bottom 3.

Father Dougal
10-03-24, 15:19
Jacks are in trouble. 73% possession today and over 600 passes but no shots on target. Toothless and aimless sums that up. If we beat them they wont be far off the bottom 3.

Be interesting how we approach the game v them next week. To get 73% possession but not register a single shot on target is quite spectacular to be fair.

Maurice Swan
10-03-24, 15:19
I’d say anyone over, say, 72 would probably feel the same, I’m 68 though and it’ll always be the wurzels for me for the reasons set out by Moodybluebird, although I’m not sure I would have said the same before the game with the jacks just before Christmas 1993 when their fans were an absolute disgrace.

I'm 77 in July......brought up between Porth and Trebanog.....and for me there is no question that Swansea are the ones I want to beat.......Bristol if we can....

goats
10-03-24, 16:30

Think that’s good, even less confidence for them next week. We need to start well and get at them, their confidence is shot if you get at them.

goats
10-03-24, 16:31
Be interesting how we approach the game v them next week. To get 73% possession but not register a single shot on target is quite spectacular to be fair.

The swanzee way butt

goats
10-03-24, 16:33
My hatred of Swansea is deep and hope they disappear into oblivion as soon as possible

Bristol I'm like "meh" - I want us to win every game but I hate losing to Swansea so much

Maybe it is because I grew up in Cardiff but my adult years 21 on I lived in neath and have had a few issues over the years - I don't know but anyway glad they lost today ����

Is Neath still split fairly evenly amongst real fans? I don’t mean 10 yr old kids who started to watch them when they got to the PL and disappeared again…..massive respect to our Neath and PT brethren

Nobody's Rep
10-03-24, 16:40
Is Neath still split fairly evenly amongst real fans? I don’t mean 10 yr old kids who started to watch them when they got to the PL and disappeared again…..massive respect to our Neath and PT brethren

Whenever I catch the train from neath there is a sprinkling of ardiff and then picks up in port Talbot

My son is 29 and quite a few of his mates are prem league club supporters (in the loosest sense of the word) and bearing in mind i spent quite a few years apologising to my son at the end of each season as the swans had been in the prem so they could have joined the bandwagon and stayed on

He probably has two or three friends who support the swans but they all have had parental influence and I think that's the key for me - having the club handed down as it were

Having said that loads of people give me grief about the football and hide behind being a swans fan when they are doing well - suspect that is the same in Cardiff

Des Parrot
10-03-24, 16:48

Apart from Welsh Cup games I can’t remember the first one time I saw City play the Jacks in the league, whereas we were joined at the hip with the Wurzles for decades. I just checked 11v11 & it was 1980, we’d played Bristol 15 times in the intervening years.

the other bob wilson
10-03-24, 17:03
Apart from Welsh Cup games I can’t remember the first one time I saw City play the Jacks in the league, whereas we were joined at the hip with the Wurzles for decades. I just checked 11v11 & it was 1980, we’d played Bristol 15 times in the intervening years.

Yeah, we played Swansea in the league a few times after my first game in 1963 as a seven year old before they got relegated, but I didn’t see my first league game against the jacks until I was 23.

City123
10-03-24, 17:05
Perfect summary :hehe:

Maurice Swan
10-03-24, 17:20
Haha...I remember going to the Vetch for a midweek game (can't remember the score...)...somehow missed the last transport back home so started to walk....managed to get to Pencoed......then ran out of steam....could not find anywhere to B&B at that time of night so spent the rest of the night kipping in a bus shelter -with toilet adjoining...got a bus back home early morning.....couple of pieces of toast and then to work!!!

NYCBlue
10-03-24, 17:23
Neither, sometimes it’s impossible to make a decision and just relish whoever loses

This.

Canton Kev
10-03-24, 17:34
We’ve played Swansea 14 times since 1999. We only played them 5 times between 1999 and 2014.

Bristol on the other hand we’ve played 38 times and almost consistently every year.

For any fans ~30 and under then it’s arguable that Bristol have been or bigger rivals in their lifetime. Coupled with the “Welsh togetherness” feeling the national team has helped develop in the last decade I can see why people would consider England’s Bristol a bigger rival.

I’m in that age bracket and personally would consider Swansea our bigger rivals, but it’s close.

ToTaL ITK
10-03-24, 17:42
anyone using the word Hate needs to find another hobby.

ToTaL ITK
10-03-24, 17:45

splott parker
10-03-24, 18:02

I agree

Eric the Half a Bee
10-03-24, 18:03
Match highlights:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pd9p88ad9q90of01f4uns/VID-20240310-WA0002.mp4?rlkey=6ay4vbrmt9g8tkfuld1j9vgt3

bobh
10-03-24, 19:52
When I started watching us, the jacks weren't even on my radar, being 2 divisions below us.

goats
10-03-24, 20:05
Noticed since we beat them in the playoff in 2003 and made it to the PL the wurzels appear to have a lot more disdain for us, possibly due to rovers and Swindon being leagues below them and never actually playing each other. I guess this is what it must have been like being a bluebird back in the 60’s/70’s when swansea were nowhere to be seen….

North Cardiff Blue
11-03-24, 12:13
The Jacks losing is good news, they come in the game against us after a loss and hopefully a slight loss in confidence, we go into the game with four wins in a row and after beating the 3rd best team in the League who had won all their previous six games.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
11-03-24, 13:10
In 1992, I had the misfortune of watching City get completely outclassed at Ashton Gate in the Coca-Cola Cup. Andy Cole had signed for them from Arsenal and ended up scoring a hat-trick.
Aside from Andy Cole, they had Wayne Allison and Leroy Rosenior playing for them.

Anyone else unlucky to be there that night?

Divine Wright
11-03-24, 13:13

The Jacks are wannabe english....which is even worse in my mind.

goats
11-03-24, 18:40
In 1992, I had the misfortune of watching City get completely outclassed at Ashton Gate in the Coca-Cola Cup. Andy Cole had signed for them from Arsenal and ended up scoring a hat-trick.
Aside from Andy Cole, they had Wayne Allison and Leroy Rosenior playing for them.

Anyone else unlucky to be there that night?

Yes me, I think we were two down before we got in the ground…..

Rock_Flock_of_Five
11-03-24, 18:50
Yes me, I think we were two down before we got in the ground…..
Lost 5-1 in the end. Andy Cole was unplayable that evening.
The only other player that I'd seen tear the City apart with such frightening pace was when Laurie Cunningham played for Orient against us at Ninian Park.

Dorcus
11-03-24, 20:30
Bristol 'derby' was a bit confected IMO. They aren't even in the same region as us. They just happened to be the nearest club to us in the same division for years.

There's local bragging rights involved with the Jacks.

splott parker
11-03-24, 20:52
Swansea has become, perhaps, the big one of late. But, Bristol City was/is always the regular one, the train fare seemed to stay at 6s 8d return for a few seasons at the end of the 60s. Trains would be heaving with City fans and the walk from Temple Meads was like a very boisterous Corpus Christi. Not much difference in the mileage from Cardiff regarding Bristol & Swansea either, is there?

Kind of Blue
12-03-24, 07:31
Bristol 'derby' was a bit confected IMO. They aren't even in the same region as us. They just happened to be the nearest club to us in the same division for years.

There's local bragging rights involved with the Jacks.

In my opinion both the derbies have a touch of this about them.