PDA

View Full Version : Worst sweets debate

PhyllisStant
23-04-24, 20:12
In the pub last night and a heated debate broke out about what is the worst thing you can from the sweet shop. Personally, hands down Parma violets closely followed by Turkish delight.

SLUDGE FACTORY
23-04-24, 20:13
Splicer

Splicer is Nicer

No it feckin wasn't

Eric the Half a Bee
23-04-24, 20:13
Caramac ice cream :hide:

Rjk
23-04-24, 20:14
ferrero rocher

splott parker
23-04-24, 23:02
ferrero rocher

A family member buys me them for every birthday & Christmas. I think I must have ate one in there house years ago, haven’t got the heart to tell them.

Der Kaiser
23-04-24, 23:54
Liquorice. Reserved for people who either have the tastebuds of someone living in the 1940s or contrarians.

Moodybluebird
24-04-24, 00:10
By far the most sickly confectionery I can recall is Caramac. Makes me nauseous just to say the word. Not too far behind was a Bar Six, which is like a desiccated version of KitKat.

Unlike the the OP I love Fry's Turkish Delight. Very moreish.

the other bob wilson
24-04-24, 05:27
Never been a fan of Marathon/Snickers or Milky Way bars, but the suggestion above reminded me that it has to be liquorice - how on earth does something tasting like that qualify as confectionery?

The Bloop
24-04-24, 06:44
Fruit Gums are just teeth destroyers and offer nothing.
Dont mind liquorice except those pink and blue ones covered on hundreds and thousands.

BLUETIT
24-04-24, 06:49
F uck ing any kind of fudge ! Horrible stuff, like stale toffee

North Cardiff Blue
24-04-24, 07:35
Pear drops

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-24, 08:17
Liquorice. Reserved for people who either have the tastebuds of someone living in the 1940s or contrarians.

'Tis a laxatuve.

P.S. I remember drinking a Belgian licorice beer.

2b2bdoo
24-04-24, 08:39
In the pub last night and a heated debate broke out about what is the worst thing you can from the sweet shop. Personally, hands down Parma violets closely followed by Turkish delight.

Turkish delight is disgusting.

jon1959
24-04-24, 08:57
Turkish delight is disgusting.

Are you talking Turkish Delight or a slab of red jelly covered in milk chocolate?

(I don't like either - but there is a difference).

JumpersforGoalposts
24-04-24, 09:04
Wine Gums, horrid lumps of plastic.

Rjk
24-04-24, 09:04
Are you talking Turkish Delight or a slab of red jelly covered in milk chocolate?

there is a difference (I like both)

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-24, 09:09
Wine Gums, horrid lumps of plastic.

Modern wine gums don't resemble those of old. They are softer and wrap around one's teeth more.

2b2bdoo
24-04-24, 09:18

Both, don’t like either.

Undercoverinwurzelland
24-04-24, 09:18
Definitely liquorice

JumpersforGoalposts
24-04-24, 09:22
Modern wine gums don't resemble those of old. They are softer and wrap around one's teeth more.

Thanks for the update. It's probably these fancy new wines we have nowadays!

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-24, 11:02
Thanks for the update. It's probably these fancy new wines we have nowadays!

And it doesn'tseem possible to get hold of the harder Orozo licorice sticks either. Society's gone soft, I tell thee!

Dembe
24-04-24, 11:05

I don't mind either, can't eat much of the proper stuff as it's sickly but I always want to go back for more. As for the chocolate covered jelly version I like that too, carefully bite all the chocolate off before eating the "Turkish delight"

Moodybluebird
24-04-24, 12:02
Turkish Delight has really split the vote on here. I have and always will be in the love it camp.

Liquorice Allsorts are great but not too fond of liquorice on its own. Anyone remember liquorice roots ? A bit like eating twigs but I liked them. Used to able to buy them at the chemist's.

poc
24-04-24, 12:08
Turkish Delight has really split the vote on here. I have and always will be in the love it camp.

Liquorice Allsorts are great but not too fond of liquorice on its own. Anyone remember liquorice roots ? A bit like eating twigs but I liked them. Used to able to buy them at the chemist's.

the root was best you can buy them online still :thumbup:

NYCBlue
24-04-24, 12:10
Those little tiny violet things. What were they called? I thought they were Midget Gems, but now I think that's something else.

poc
24-04-24, 12:18
Those little tiny violet things. What were they called? I thought they were Midget Gems, but now I think that's something else.

parmer violets maybe

Majorblue
24-04-24, 13:00

Midget Gems are a top of the Premiership treat.

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-24, 13:01
parmer violets maybe

They always smelled like the inside of a lady's reticule.

Moodybluebird
24-04-24, 13:42
They always smelled like the inside of a lady's reticule.

You dirty bas***d lol

blackrock bluebird
24-04-24, 15:24
Those ultra-sour candies? They're like a face-puckering rollercoaster ride through flavor town. They're the kind of sweet that'll make you question all your life choices, especially when you hit that peak of sourness. But hey, to each their own, right?

Dembe
24-04-24, 15:25

Parma violets. Always eat them when none of the kids want them at xmas.

Dembe
24-04-24, 15:27
Midget Gems are a top of the Premiership treat.

I find the supermarket ones better than the Maynards ones :thumbup:

PhyllisStant
24-04-24, 15:42
Chocolate limes. how the hell did they catch on?! A lime flavoured boiled sweet with a soft cheapo chocolate centre :puke:

xsnaggle
24-04-24, 15:43

The Tesco toffee chocolate eclairs are far better than the Cadbury ones too, if you can get them. They sell out fast!
in The Western Ave shop

bobh
24-04-24, 15:43
By far the most sickly confectionery I can recall is Caramac. Makes me nauseous just to say the word. Not too far behind was a Bar Six, which is like a desiccated version of KitKat.

Unlike the the OP I love Fry's Turkish Delight. Very moreish.

I like Caramac!, and fondly remember Bar Six. (is it still around?)

Creme eggs, however, sickly goo, egg-shaped diabetes.

Majorblue
24-04-24, 15:53

Agreed.
The M&S ones are my favourites.

Dembe
24-04-24, 16:13
The Tesco toffee chocolate eclairs are far better than the Cadbury ones too, if you can get them. They sell out fast!
in The Western Ave shop

Always available where I go, very nice.

Dembe
24-04-24, 16:14
Agreed.
The M&S ones are my favourites.

I've tries Tesco Asda and Sainsbury's all better than the big brand Maynards.

Moodybluebird
24-04-24, 16:17
I like Caramac!, and fondly remember Bar Six. (is it still around?)

Creme eggs, however, sickly goo, egg-shaped diabetes.

I know it's each to their own Bob but c'mon ! Caramac and Bar Six should be dished out as a punishment not a treat. I really hope Bar Six has been confined to the annals of history. A confectionery abomination.

Now Creme Eggs......mmmmmm.

Moodybluebird
24-04-24, 16:25
Am I the only person on God's Earth who remembers a chocolate bar from the early 60's called Bliss. It was about the length of a Picnic with about 6 segments. Each segment had a creme and walnut filling. I was gutted when they were discontinued.

Taunton Blue Genie
24-04-24, 16:32
Soor plooms (Scottish for 'sour plums') were grim, as were coconut mushrooms, Imps and Spanish root.

Tuerto
24-04-24, 16:37
Soor plooms (Scottish for 'sour plums') were grim, as were coconut mushrooms, Imps and Spanish root.

Coconut mushrooms. I remember them. Whoever had that idea was completely stoned, Why not coconut flavoured Coconuts?

Wash DC Blue
24-04-24, 16:39
Cardboard Shrimp

Moodybluebird
24-04-24, 17:09
Black Magic chocolates.

NYCBlue
25-04-24, 00:15
I was on lunch break last week and decided to go to this British shop I haven't been to in years. I bought a Crunchie, a Terry's Chocolate Orange, a massive bar of Cadbury's, Cramel Wafers and various other treats. It's almost all gone! I'm enjoying the last of the Cadbury's with a glass of milk right now. Simple pleasures.

the other bob wilson
25-04-24, 02:55
Chocolate limes. how the hell did they catch on?! A lime flavoured boiled sweet with a soft cheapo chocolate centre :puke:

Never heard of them, I’m willing to give most foodstuffs a try, but I’d pass on one of those.

Surprised at the number in the thread who don’t like Caramac, I used to eat it quite regularly as a kid, but are they still around these days? I’ve not tasted one for over fifty years I’d guess and the thought of one turns me off now because any sort of sweet is a very occasional treat these days and, a bit like white chocolate, I’d class Caramac as being too bad for my ancient body - if someone suddenly proved sweets are good for your health, I think id still be eating Caramac and white chocolate - maybe not at the same time mind.

splott parker
25-04-24, 03:46
I was on lunch break last week and decided to go to this British shop I haven't been to in years. I bought a Crunchie, a Terry's Chocolate Orange, a massive bar of Cadbury's, Cramel Wafers and various other treats. It's almost all gone! I'm enjoying the last of the Cadbury's with a glass of milk right now. Simple pleasures.

Shirley it should be a glass and a half :hehe:

North Cardiff Blue
25-04-24, 06:46
Never heard of them, I’m willing to give most foodstuffs a try, but I’d pass on one of those.

Surprised at the number in the thread who don’t like Caramac, I used to eat it quite regularly as a kid, but are they still around these days? I’ve not tasted one for over fifty years I’d guess and the thought of one turns me off now because any sort of sweet is a very occasional treat these days and, a bit like white chocolate, I’d class Caramac as being too bad for my ancient body - if someone suddenly proved sweets are good for your health, I think id still be eating Caramac and white chocolate - maybe not at the same time mind.

They sell Caramac magnums in M&S, nice !

fingers
25-04-24, 11:42
Milky Bar(s are on me!), sickly white chocolate disaster for babies.

Those yellow cardboard tubes of sherbert with a thick liquorice stick in it. Used to throw the liquorice stick away, suck up the sherbert straight into the lungs and, as an 8 year old, cough like a 70 year old miner with emphysema.

Rock_Flock_of_Five
25-04-24, 14:04
Milky Bar(s are on me!), sickly white chocolate disaster for babies.

Those yellow cardboard tubes of sherbert with a thick liquorice stick in it. Used to throw the liquorice stick away, suck up the sherbert straight into the lungs and, as an 8 year old, cough like a 70 year old miner with emphysema.

:hehe::thumbup:

Rock_Flock_of_Five
25-04-24, 14:05
Pear drops

Absolutely vile!

jon1959
25-04-24, 15:38

I had forgotten them. Disgusting. Nothing worse. Dreamt up in the seventh circle of hell. The winner!

splott parker
25-04-24, 16:31
Raspberry ruffles, shocking.

ToTaL ITK
25-04-24, 16:52
ferrero rocher

its just over priced chocolate, grow a pair.
Turkish delight should be banned

Fatty Foggon
25-04-24, 16:56
Aniseed balls & Tiger nuts were probably the worst ones growing up as a kid.
The best was a Penny Arrow which was a strip of thin toffee in a wrapper of different flavours.

cyril evans awaydays
25-04-24, 17:06
Dolly Mixtures. Pick the jelly ones out and watch the rest become some kind of bad batch of heroin for sugar addicts!

Tuerto
25-04-24, 17:59
Wham Bars.They'd take your teeth out better than any Dentist.

light up the darkness
25-04-24, 18:49
I used to think Caramac was only for rich people lol

light up the darkness
25-04-24, 18:52
Absolutely vile!

Whenever I was given one as a kid I always ended up cutting my tongue in one of the fissures that opened during sucking

SLUDGE FACTORY
25-04-24, 19:01
Lion Bars

Like eating gravel with chocolate mixed in

SLUDGE FACTORY
25-04-24, 19:03
Drumsticks

Teeth breakers

ToTaL ITK
25-04-24, 22:05
I used to think Caramac was only for rich people lol

lol,,,no idea what it is ...its not chocolate

Rock_Flock_of_Five
26-04-24, 02:41
Whenever I was given one as a kid I always ended up cutting my tongue in one of the fissures that opened during sucking

Yeah, you're right. It was a double-whammy... 'orrible taste and lacerations to your tongue!

Rjk
26-04-24, 11:57

fym grow a pair?

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 12:40
Blimey guvner. Some right old Cadbury's Flakes in this thread.

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 12:44
Fisherman's Friends. Put hairs on your chest. Wash 'em down with a pint of Bovril at a non-league game. Man up.

Tuerto
26-04-24, 18:15
Fisherman's Friends. Put hairs on your chest. Wash 'em down with a pint of Bovril at a non-league game. Man up.

If those things were the friend of a fisherman then i'd hate to see his enemies.

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 18:59
If those things were the friend of a fisherman then i'd hate to see his anemones.

Fixed it!

superfeathers
26-04-24, 19:13
Fixed it!

Another vote for licorice.
Especially those ones with the beads/seed stuff around them.
It’s a shame because the coconut ones and the sandwich type (dolly mixture material either side) are nice, but you have to take the licorice off

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 19:34
It’s a shame because the coconut ones and the sandwich type (dolly mixture material either side) are nice, but you have to take the licorice off

So basically you'd like an Allsort without Liquorice? I call that high maintenance! :hehe:

Edit: You and Maria Carey would get on really well! :hehe:

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 19:36
If those things were the friend of a fisherman then i'd hate to see his enemies.

There were some others. Victory Vs I think they were? I'd drop the V and insert a WTF to modernise those bad boys.

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 19:57
One of my guilty pleasures used to be sucking a travel sweet.....

.....at home.

MacAdder
26-04-24, 20:04

Love it.

Full of Eastern promise

MacAdder
26-04-24, 20:07

And another for licorice..

Skinny one with a flat bit at the top about 2 inches long 😋

MacAdder
26-04-24, 20:08
Fixed it!

Brilliant 👏

celever
26-04-24, 21:24
I used to love Turkish Delight
A few years ago I was walking through central London when I spied two gorgeous women dressed in flimsy clothes. They were standing outside a shop and holding trays of little coloured cubes that looked like they were dusted in sugar.
Great! Free sweets I thought.
I picked a pink one, popped it in my mouth, a quick chew and swallowed it.
I started feeling sick and had a horrible taste in my mouth then I realised that the women were standing outside a beauty shop and what I thought was Turkish Delight were small samples of perfumed soap.
I had to spend quite some time in a nearby pub to get reid of the taste.

Moodybluebird
26-04-24, 21:49
I used to love Turkish Delight
A few years ago I was walking through central London when I spied two gorgeous women dressed in flimsy clothes. They were standing outside a shop and holding trays of little coloured cubes that looked like they were dusted in sugar.
Great! Free sweets I thought.
I picked a pink one, popped it in my mouth, a quick chew and swallowed it.
I started feeling sick and had a horrible taste in my mouth then I realised that the women were standing outside a beauty shop and what I thought was Turkish Delight were small samples of perfumed soap.
I had to spend quite some time in a nearby pub to get reid of the taste.

As Captain Mainwaring would say, "You stupid boy !"

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 22:56
Sherbet Dips

Citizen's Nephew
26-04-24, 23:02
Bons Bons…. although now I’ve just typed that they don’t look real. Have I made them up?

superfeathers
27-04-24, 06:35
So basically you'd like an Allsort without Liquorice? I call that high maintenance! :hehe:

Edit: You and Maria Carey would get on really well! :hehe:

You’re onto something here. I reckon they would be big sellers

stevo
27-04-24, 07:21
Kop Kops.

I win.

You’re welcome.