+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SO WHERE WAS CHRIST (YESHUA) IN OUR FESTIVITIES?

Re: SO WHERE WAS CHRIST (YESHUA) IN OUR FESTIVITIES?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 23:29
    I suspect God was missing from many of our festivities, in much the same way He went missing this time ten years ago.
    If it were not for Jesus I could not believe in God for the very reason you give. However we have been given free will and we can choose to follow Jesus and do good, or not, and do evil. So does this mean that God is responsible for all the shit that happens in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:08
    I suspect God was missing from many of our festivities, in much the same way He went missing this time ten years ago.
    I say this as a Catholic, finding it increasingly difficult to reconcile all the shit He allows to happen in the world.
    Have a think about what happened at Christmas ten years ago and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:02
    TBG you wrote: (I have copied the text as I cannot abide these massively long nested responses): I don't have to ask myself anything as it's all about your belief system. You totally believe in some things written in the Bible and and have doubts about others. If it's not all truth where do you draw the line? If you admit that some of the stories are 'poetic' (if you do not wish to use the word 'folklore') how do you know for sure what is fact and what is 'poetic'? What analysis do you adopt to separate one from another? My lay preacher friend has left many churches as he draws a different line in the sand regarding this matter to the incumbent preachers. What evidence is there that the universe was created in 6 days, for example? Isn't it true that believers differ as to what they believe is literal truth and what is allegory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 23:58
    You may not recall from many of my previous posts on the various "God threads" but my starting point is always based on what Jesus said and did. Now that sounds like a cop-out I know, but to me Christianity is all about Christ, not what some ancient Jewish tribes got up to. Jesus himself said he brought a new covenant which means a new understanding of the relationship between God and mankind. If something was really important then I would expect Jesus to have had a say on it. Again, I know you will say that Jesus did not speak about quite a few things so it is dangerous to assume that because he didn't, then it wasn't relevant; I accept that. The gospel boils down to the two critical commandments that Jesus gave: firstly love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and secondly do to others as you would have them do to you. No allegory there!
    I believe the Bible is 100% truth. Now some of the Bible text is plainly factual and some is poetical. Why, if something is poetical, might it not be truth too? I remember a good analogy of this I was told many years ago. There was a robbery in a bank and two robbers ran off down the street and jumped into a waiting car. 10 witnesses came forward to talk to the police and each one would give a truthful account of what they had seen. However there would be many differences between their accounts e.g. the colour/make/number plate of the getaway car, the description of the robbers and the description of the car driver.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:08
    I say this as a Catholic, finding it increasingly difficult to reconcile all the shit He allows to happen in the world.
    If it were not for Jesus I could not believe in God for the very reason you give. However we have been given free will and we can choose to follow Jesus and do good, or not, and do evil. So does this mean that God is responsible for all the shit that happens in the world?
    Was God to blame for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:21
    TBG you wrote: (I have copied the text as I cannot abide these massively long nested responses): I don't have to ask myself anything as it's all about your belief system. You totally believe in some things written in the Bible and and have doubts about others. If it's not all truth where do you draw the line? If you admit that some of the stories are 'poetic' (if you do not wish to use the word 'folklore') how do you know for sure what is fact and what is 'poetic'? What analysis do you adopt to separate one from another? My lay preacher friend has left many churches as he draws a different line in the sand regarding this matter to the incumbent preachers. What evidence is there that the universe was created in 6 days, for example? Isn't it true that believers differ as to what they believe is literal truth and what is allegory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:02
    You may not recall from many of my previous posts on the various "God threads" but my starting point is always based on what Jesus said and did. Now that sounds like a cop-out I know, but to me Christianity is all about Christ, not what some ancient Jewish tribes got up to. Jesus himself said he brought a new covenant which means a new understanding of the relationship between God and mankind. If something was really important then I would expect Jesus to have had a say on it. Again, I know you will say that Jesus did not speak about quite a few things so it is dangerous to assume that because he didn't, then it wasn't relevant; I accept that. The gospel boils down to the two critical commandments that Jesus gave: firstly love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and secondly do to others as you would have them do to you. No allegory there!
    I think if your lay preacher friend and the other believers just concentrated on these and not get hung up on talking snakes and donkeys they would be able to live in peace with one another. Apart from debating points on this forum and various other atheist websites they form no part of the day-to-day life of a practising Christian.
    It is obvious from the above that poetic (when not referring to poetry itself) is not the same as 100% truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:21
    I think if your lay preacher friend and the other believers just concentrated on these and not get hung up on talking snakes and donkeys they would be able to live in peace with one another. Apart from debating points on this forum and various other atheist websites they form no part of the day-to-day life of a practising Christian.
    Much of the New Testament are parables, used by Jesus as examples for the simple minded to understand His message.

The only time everyone will live in peace with one another is when religion as a whole is eradicated.

Yes of course different believers draw different conclusions from various parts of the Bible. I find this very sad especially when churches split apart as a result. However I fail to see how they could draw different conclusions from the two commandments given by Jesus which as I have said are at the core of the gospel.

You seem to be quite a tetchy person. I was in no way trying to deride your lay-preacher friend and yet you immediately go into personal attack mode. He may indeed be a lot brighter than me and having known you for five years I'm sure he has no need to try to second-guess what you are actually saying.

I think I have answered all your questions to the best of my ability/understanding but as I sense you are not comfortable dealing with someone of lesser intellect I think it's time to draw a line under this now, before it descends into a slanging match.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:54
    Yes of course different believers draw different conclusions from various parts of the Bible. I find this very sad especially when churches split apart as a result. However I fail to see how they could draw different conclusions from the two commandments given by Jesus which as I have said are at the core of the gospel.
    If different believers 'draw different conclusions from various parts of the Bible' (your words not mine) how can it all be 100% truth?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste wrote on Sun, 28 December 2014 13:48
    In reply to the above comment:
    The Wise Men arrived with gifts on 6th January, the feast of the Epiphany ( 12th night)

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 09:08
    In reply to the above comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste wrote on Sun, 28 December 2014 13:48
    Nobody is being forced, but if Jesus is so insignificant to Mankind then start asking yourself why His Name is the only religious Name used in verbal Blasphemy Worldwide!?
    Thou shalt not bear false witness....

What I can never understand and never will, is how people put such unquestionable faith into a religion. The Scientific advances we've in the last 100 years or so are truly incredible and its all there for all to read, shame people insist on fables. Science made planes fly, religion flies them into buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 09:32
    What I can never understand and never will, is how people put such unquestionable faith into a religion. The Scientific advances we've in the last 100 years or so are truly incredible and its all there for all to read, shame people insist on fables. Science made planes fly, religion flies them into buildings.
    The Old Testament is full of fables, and Christ as a revolutionary of his time did much to question the established religion. His works are well represented in the New Testament, and are certainly not fables.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 09:45
    We do it in the same way that you put faith into the fact that gravity will keep your feet on the ground, and that the sun will rise and set each day.
    The theory of Gravity has been tested by scientific experiments by many people around the globe, by the way. It is understood well enough to use it as a slingshot from one celestial body to another. Unlike much of what is stated in so-called Holy Books.

We do it in the same way that you put faith into the fact that gravity will keep your feet on the ground, and that the sun will rise and set each day.
    Science has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with empirical evidence. You cant mix faith with fact. What is a fact that nearly every molecule that make you was produced in a super novas billions of years ago. That fact is based on fact not faith and highlights my initial point.

Christians - Was Jesus in your Christmas celebrations? If so, why do you care whether or not he was in the celebrations of people you have never and will never meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 10:06
    The Old Testament is full of fables, and Christ as a revolutionary of his time did much to question the established religion. His works are well represented in the New Testament, and are certainly not fables.
    As for believers identifying some things as literal and other things as allegorical ('the Pick'n'Mixers' as my preacher friends call them) it then becomes totally arbitrary. That's why religion is associated with schism upon schism and why Abrahamism is so incredibly fractured. The Jews have their version of truth and the Christians add a layer. The Muslims added another layer, as did the Mormons and the Jehovah's witnesses. It's fable upon fable.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 22:43
    Thank you for a straightforward response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 22:34
    You're welcome. But I don't expect or necessarily want people to believe the same things that I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 19:45
    I don't EXPECT them to either; but I would WANT them to, because the world would be a heck of a better place if everyone followed Jesus (or even the Jesus way if they cannot accept his divinity).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 19:31
    Would it be safer to follow Jesus or no one?
    Are you referring to Pascal's Wager?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 00:01
    What do you mean by "he keeps failing to do"?
    Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 23:27
    Well, the very first two people he created disobeyed him, so he expelled them from Eden. Then things got worse, so he eradicated all of the animal kingdom except for those who would fit on the Ark, then it all went wrong again and he had to put himself on Earth, born of a virgin, in order to redeem mankind and he failed once again because here we all are and the world is in a terrible state again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 23:01
    God didn't fail - we did!! We had a second chance when Jesus came to show the way and we promptly bumped him off. Like a lot of things in life, we get what we deserve.
    If we hadn't bumped him off, the prophesies of Isaiah would not have been materialised and Jesus would not have the Messiah. You seem to want it all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 11:40
    Well, the very first two people he created disobeyed him, so he expelled them from Eden. Then things got worse, so he eradicated all of the animal kingdom except for those who would fit on the Ark, then it all went wrong again and he had to put himself on Earth, born of a virgin, in order to redeem mankind and he failed once again because here we all are and the world is in a terrible state again.
    God didn't fail - we did!! We had a second chance when Jesus came to show the way and we promptly bumped him off. Like a lot of things in life, we get what we deserve.
    If we hadn't bumped him off, the prophesies of Isaiah would not have been materialised and Jesus would not have the Messiah. You seem to want it all ways.
    I wish these threads would not be suddenly ignored by people who were so keen to contribute in the early stages.

Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 17:31
    Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 11:40
    I wish these threads would not be suddenly ignored by people who were so keen to contribute in the early stages.
    As it has been said: Christianity has not been tried and found to be wanting, it has been tried and found to be too difficult. (

Richyrich

There is one major plot hole in the Jesus resurrection story if you assume it's a real event.

All these people saying they seen Jesus walking about after crucifixion and the Romans didn't do anything.

They didn't even question those claiming to have seen Jesus, didn't check the tomb, didn't perform a manhunt for him...NOTHING.

A person the Romans just crucified is seen walking about as if nothing happened and the Romans did nothing.

PLOT HOLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 01:27
    There is one major plot hole in the Jesus resurrection story if you assume it's a real event.
    I think you may have just unearthed the beginning of Catholicism

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 22:43
    Thank you for a straightforward response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 22:34
    You're welcome. But I don't expect or necessarily want people to believe the same things that I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by calonlan wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 19:45
    I don't EXPECT them to either; but I would WANT them to, because the world would be a heck of a better place if everyone followed Jesus (or even the Jesus way if they cannot accept his divinity).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue wrote on Sat, 03 January 2015 19:31
    Would it be safer to follow Jesus or no one?

Always preferred Austin 3:16 myself