+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super Bowl TV coverage

Re: Super Bowl TV coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:10
    I am sure Superbowl numbers in the billions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:08
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:07
    We are about as close to a 51st state of the US as it is possible to get, and until quite recently nobody really followed it here. I think there was a sunday morning C4 roundup programme, but i don't think we had live coverage of the Superbowl or any other game until recently (I remember trying to listen to it on Radio 5 in the 1990s). Even now, with 3 home games a season and live TV coverage, it is only a very small minority that watch it. And that's in the UK. I imagine Africa, Asia, and South America couldn't give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:01
    I love american football, it is a terrific sport and can produce some amazing drama (like last night). But it is a minority sport really, probably not even as popular as cricket or rugby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 10:54
    It used to be quite popular in the 90s. I definitely remember watching live superbowls then. I'd say it was more popular now, but that comes with increased TV channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 10:45
    I remember they used to have a shop up Talbot Green that used to sell all sorts of American Football gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 14:29
    In 2013 258,000 watched on Sky Sports 1. The same night Valencia v Barcelona got 373,000. The Sunday 4pm game got 2m.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 13:45
    In 2014 the Super Bowl didn't register in the top 10 of the Sky Sports 1 charts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathaze Blue wrote on Sun, 01 February 2015 21:40
    That counts bars and pubs showing it as one viewer though doesn't it? I was watching it in a bar with about 150 in it, I'd imagine there were a few other cities and bars up and down the country doing the same thing.
    Where, and what one?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:11
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:10
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:08
    We are about as close to a 51st state of the US as it is possible to get, and until quite recently nobody really followed it here. I think there was a sunday morning C4 roundup programme, but i don't think we had live coverage of the Superbowl or any other game until recently (I remember trying to listen to it on Radio 5 in the 1990s). Even now, with 3 home games a season and live TV coverage, it is only a very small minority that watch it. And that's in the UK. I imagine Africa, Asia, and South America couldn't give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:07
    I love american football, it is a terrific sport and can produce some amazing drama (like last night). But it is a minority sport really, probably not even as popular as cricket or rugby.
    It used to be quite popular in the 90s. I definitely remember watching live superbowls then. I'd say it was more popular now, but that comes with increased TV channels.
    I remember they used to have a shop up Talbot Green that used to sell all sorts of American Football gear.
    In 2013 258,000 watched on Sky Sports 1. The same night Valencia v Barcelona got 373,000. The Sunday 4pm game got 2m.
    In 2014 the Super Bowl didn't register in the top 10 of the Sky Sports 1 charts.
    That counts bars and pubs showing it as one viewer though doesn't it? I was watching it in a bar with about 150 in it, I'd imagine there were a few other cities and bars up and down the country doing the same thing.
    I don't think anyone's saying it's on the same level as our football? So I'm not quite sure what your point is comparing the two viewing figures?
    I don't tell strange men what bars I go to mate. Maybe Grindr is more your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:14
    I don't tell strange men what bars I go to mate. Maybe Grindr is more your thing.
    A few of my mates (not Finnish for the record) went to the O2 to watch it a few years ago from memory. They said it was good, can't imagine many bars in Cardiff staying open late for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 11:14
    You watched it at home didn't you, you little fibber.
    I think Walkabout and Bunker were the only 2 actively advertising a superbowl 'party' that evening in Cardiff.

2.5 million UK people watched the Super Bowl on Channel 4 this Sunday

Just read that Sky have taken the rights to the Monday night games on ESPN. 4 games per week on Sky then from now on. Plus the Channel 4 game on Sunday night means 5 live games per week on UK TV.

Not bad for a demographic that has no interest in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 16:39
    I do try to get into American football, but it really is a pretty dire game to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 14:08
    How anyone could favour watching American football over rugby is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Mon, 02 February 2015 13:43
    NFL is rugby for pussies who need loads of body armour and who have no stamina
    why is it called a touchdown? there is no touching down involved at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 09:38
    It's massive in Austria, Germany, Finland, Netherlands.
    It is not "massive" anywhere outside of the US. Even if you add up all the people who watch American Football outside of the us, the number would not be a "massive" viewing figure in any reasonably large country. It's a great game and I love watching it, but outside of the US materially nobody else agrees.

American Football was first televised in this country when Channel 4 first came out in the 80's. It was on every Sunday, showing highlights of the previous weeks games, a fella called Nicky Horn used to present it. Pretty sure the Super Bowl was televised live back then as well.

I don't think it'll ever really catch on outside of North America. Remember the World League, with the London Monarchs? Had big crowds at the start, then after the novelty wore off it all died a death. I think a franchise over here would see similar results.

I don't get while some people seem to think it's a hard game to understand. 4 turns to get ten yards, keep going till you cross ths line. It's the best US sport by a mile imo.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf1927 wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 17:56
    I don't get while some people seem to think it's a hard game to understand. 4 turns to get ten yards, keep going till you cross ths line. It's the best US sport by a mile imo.
    There's penalties for virtually everything mind. No different to rugby though in that respect mind.