+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Doyle nearly went to West Brom

Doyle nearly went to West Brom

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english-league/2015/0203/6774 76-west-brom-came-calling-for-doyle/

Cardiff City's transfer deadline day signing Eoin Doyle was a target for Premier League strugglers West Bromwich Albion, according to the Dubliner's agent Eamonn Collins.

The in-demand Chesterfield striker, scorer of 26 goals this season, signed for the Championship side in a deal worth up to a £1million, in what was the most expensive move for an Irish player during yesterday's final day of transfer activity.
    Collins said West Brom came in for the 26-year-old while he and Doyle were en route to Cardiff for a medical and to discuss terms.

However, West Brom were also chasing West Ham forward Carlton Cole and looked have the deal done as Emmanuel Adebayor was set to fill Cole's place in the Hammers' roster with a loan move from Tottenham.

But the deal collapsed as the clock ticked down in the final minutes of the window with Spurs refusing to sanction Adebayor's loan to their London rivals.

By then the ink was already dry on Doyle's Cardiff contract with the former League of Ireland player having signed up by mid-afternoon with Russell Slade's outfit.

Collins said there had been a lot of interest in Doyle over the closing days of the window, and speaking to RTÉ Sport, he said: "Sheffield United and Preston had made bids over the weekend and spoke to Chesterfield.

"We always felt with Eoin being the highest scorer in all four divisions in England one of the bigger boys might come in.
    "We got a bite from Cardiff yesterday morning and they agreed a deal with Chesterfield. Eoin packed his bags and went down to Cardiff but on the way down we had an interest from a Premier League club. They said they were keen but had other irons in the fire.

"But when a Premier League club comes knocking, well we slowed down and just waited for a couple of hours to see if that one got going.

"When the Premier League come calling and you're already on your way to a big Championship club it can prove difficult. The club was actually West Brom, so we kind of knew what was going on with Carlton Cole going there.

"So we felt all along Carlton Cole wouldn't go there unless Adebayor left Tottenham [for West Ham].

"So there were all sorts of things going on. We just waited to see but unfortunately the West Brom thing went dead and we went on down to Cardiff, which Eoin was happy to do in the end."

The move is still a great one for Doyle, who is stepping up from League One to the Championship, with Collins adding: "Eoin's going to a top club in the Championship that have a chance of in the next couple of years of getting back to the Premier League, so he's thrilled.

"He's come the hard way through Shamrock Rovers to Sligo Rovers, over to Hibs and down to Chesterfield but he's on an upward curve and he continues to score goals."

Re: Doyle nearly went to West Brom

Glad he was so keen to join us

Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 14:01
    Glad he was so keen to join us
    If he was my agent, I'd sack him.

I remember the days when West Brom were going to be our feeder club...

It's just an agent shouting his mouth off about what a good job he's doing for his client. I'm sure the lad is excited to test himself (with out lacklustre creativity). Welcome to the club.

Makes a change from Borussia Dortmund.

Yeah he had to consider it didn't he. Its always beneficial to weigh up the options and in any form of life and work anyone would have done the same.
    Looks a good prospect for us and i hope he can hit the ground running and start banging them in. God we need it.

Given the choice, I would rather take the risk and go for Doyle.

I wouldn't be happy if we signed Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 14:58
    Given the choice, I would rather take the risk and go for Doyle.
    B 2 B.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 13:48
    The move is still a great one for Doyle, who is stepping up from League One to the Championship, with Collins adding: "Eoin's going to a top club in the Championship that have a chance of in the next couple of years of getting back to the Premier League, so he's thrilled."
    Mug

Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 14:50
    Yeah he had to consider it didn't he. Its always beneficial to weigh up the options and in any form of life and work anyone would have done the same.
    Just need someone to create chances for him

Did he have sat nav problems then ?