+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Planning permission - could it add value to a house

Planning permission - could it add value to a house

I live in a 2 bed roomed terraced house, and I'm looking to sell. Would it make my house more desirable if I obtained planning permission for a third bedroom (on an existing floor)? Roughly how much does it cost to get planning permission for an extension to a house (there is no extra land involved, it would be conversion of a room with a sloping roof to having a flat roofed room )?

Re: Planning permission - could it add value to a house

You won't require planning permission for a third bedroom on an existing floor as that comes within permitted development. Depending on the work involved you will probably need Building Regulation approval but that in itself would be a waste of money and would not add value to the house.

It could add value. But only if you find the right buyer. 99% of buyers wouldnt care as they would have no intention of doing any work.

Sounds like you are getting desperate. Might sound silly but have you considered a second job to up your savings? Thats what I had to do to get enough together to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Wed, 04 February 2015 10:32
    It could add value. But only if you find the right buyer. 99% of buyers wouldnt care as they would have no intention of doing any work.
    To be honest, I'm not quite at the desperate stage yet. We have outgrown the house - and I think we're all a bit fed up of the place. I have decent equity in the place, providing I can sell it at a fair price, and I should have enough to make a 15% deposit on the next house. I was just trying to think of a way to make it a bit more marketable

As a two bedroom house you would assume that it would appeal to the younger generation as a starter home and the first step on the ladder.

Instead of going to the fuss and expense of applying for planning permission. Getting plans made, paying planning fees, and waiting the months for permission to be applied, simply drop you asking price by the amount you will be expecting to spend on this.

Nothing makes a house more attractive than a lower price.

As a very general rule, having planning permission to do something will always add value to a building or land.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Wed, 04 February 2015 10:53
    As a two bedroom house you would assume that it would appeal to the younger generation as a starter home and the first step on the ladder.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Wed, 04 February 2015 11:01
    Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Wed, 04 February 2015 10:53
    Instead of going to the fuss and expense of applying for planning permission. Getting plans made, paying planning fees, and waiting the months for permission to be applied, simply drop you asking price by the amount you will be expecting to spend on this.
    What i feel you need to do is find a price level that gets people interested and you get the money you need to move.

No it wont.

It will give an advantage in the market and might prove attractive to a viewer that might not ordinarily have been interested but that's all.

It is an added cost, and in that way a potential purchaser might even try to drive the price DOWN.

"Yes we really want the house because we want to put that extension in but the cost of the house is now prohibiting our plans to extend, can you knock £3k off?"

Certainly it could add value to land, but only on land that is not already earmarked for development. A builder is not going to pay over the odds for land when he knows he can get planning permission anyway.