+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ### Cardiff City v Charlton. Matchday thread ###

### Cardiff City v Charlton. Matchday thread ###

Does Peter Whittingham return or will Joe Ralls keep his place?

Cardiff goalkeeper David Marshall is a doubt for Saturday's clash with Charlton.

The Scotland international was withdrawn from their midweek win at Rotherham at half-time after suffering from a tight groin and could be replaced by Simon Moore.

Anthony Pilkington remains on the long-term injury list, while Scott Malone is yet to regain full fitness after a couple of weeks out.

Russell Slade will have Peter Whittingham available for selection again after the midfielder completed his ban, but he faces a battle to regain his starting spot after Joe Ralls impressed in his place in the 3-1 win on Tuesday.

Johann Gudmundsson and Chris Solly are expected to return for Charlton.Midfielder Gudmundsson and right-back Solly both missed the midweek win over Nottingham Forest with muscular injuries but should be in contention.

Roger Johnson, Callum Harriott and Igor Vetekole are hoping to shake off knocks to feature.But captain Johnnie Jackson (leg) is still sidelined along with left-back Rhoys Wiggins (calf) and winger Franck Moussa (knee)

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

The earlier meeting this season ended as a 1-1 draw at The Valley on Boxing Day.

Cardiff have won only one of the last seven meetings. Their only win since 1985 was 2-0 at home in October 2008.

Charlton have won two of the last four meetings at Cardiff, drawing one and losing one.

Cardiff

Cardiff have won two of their last three games, after winning none of their previous eight games in all competitions.

Cardiff have not won any of their last five home games in all competitions. Their last win at the Cardiff City Stadium was 1-0 in the Championship on 10 January.

Charlton

Charlton have won four of their last five games, after winning none of their previous 14 in all competitions.

Charlton have won only one of their last eight away games. Their only win on the road since early November was 3-0 at Wigan on 20 February.

Re: ### Cardiff City v Charlton. Matchday thread ###

No mention of Jane Austen?

### HASHTAG PARTY ###

Whitts is playing. I feel so sorry for Joe Ralls.

You can't drop Gunnar or Ralls so unless Whitts plays in a different position (I can't see the young Evertonian's being dropped either) or we play a different formation it will be the same midfield.

Do we stick wither Macheda and Revell is a bigger question? Kenwynne is our top scorer but hasn't hit the back of the net in 6 games now. Would Doyle and Revell give Doyle his best chance of breaking his duck? Revell and, low on confidence, ALF wasn't so pretty.

Team: Moore, Peltier, Connolly, Ecuele Manga, Morrison, Whittingham, Gunnarsson ©, McAleny, Noone, Macheda, Jones.

Bench: Wilson, Fabio, Ralls, O'Keefe, Kennedy, Revell, Doyle.

Other: 17th Minute we clap today, for the 17 year old boys who lost their lives last night in a tragic accident. RT to spread the word!

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 14:16
    Team: Moore, Peltier, Connolly, Ecuele Manga, Morrison, Whittingham, Gunnarsson ©, McAleny, Noone, Macheda, Jones.
    Which accident was that?

This is a right royal ****ing for both Kennedy AND Ralls. I predicted both Noone and Whittingham would start and im sadly on the money.
    What Slade has now said loud and clear is "we now have competition for places on the bench"

Charlton will be licking their lips.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 14:18
    I have no idea, I'm just passing on the message from what the official City twitter retweeted. Not knowing the details I'm just posting it so people don't have to ask why it happened after the game.

Complete stab in the back for Ralls and Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham_Blue wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 14:09
    Whitts is playing. I feel so sorry for Joe Ralls.
    So do I - that's not at all fair IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 14:18
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/two-men-die-cra sh-involving-8792513

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 14:20
    This is a right royal ****ing for both Kennedy AND Ralls. I predicted both Noone and Whittingham would start and im sadly on the money.
    I agree - how could he alter a winning side so much. Both Noone and Whitts have been off form - and the formation on Tuesday appeared to work well according to others - though to be fair I saw only highlights of the game.

I wonder if those who already favour Whitts less will blame him or Slade?

Whitts and Gunnar just don't seem to work as a two. Slade could have played a three with Ralls as well, rested Gunnar, moved Whitts outside, given Ralls another chance to shine. This has heaped unnecessary pressure on the starting 11.

The big winner being Macheda and Kenwynne - their lack of movement won't be mentioned much if we lose.

I can understand Kenwyne coming back in and perhaps Kennedy needs a rest, but there are one or two big gambles in there. Slade will be either hero or villain at 5pm. Unless, of course, its a draw!

BBC text suggests the summary of the game is Cardiff corner, attempt missed, Cardiff offside.

66% possession but only 1 out of the 5 attempts on target.

Come on Ralls - hope Gunnars is OK though.

ralls on, here we go

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 15:26
    BBC text suggests the summary of the game is Cardiff corner, attempt missed, Cardiff offside.
    You can add "Foul by xxxx (Charlton Athletic)" to that.

3 yellows in 10 mins, refs dishing them out free

Sounds like I am missing one of the best halves of football for some time .

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 15:39
    Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 15:26
    66% possession but only 1 out of the 5 attempts on target.
    However, it seems to show that whatever way we shuffle the front players, we are drastically short of a decent goal scorer who can put away at least one chance....

Rotherham stats from Tuesday after 90 minutes: 60% possession, 8 shots with 2 on target, 9 corners.
    Cardiff City stats from this 45: 62% possession, 9 shots with 2 on target, 5 corners.

If you don't turn dominance into goals you can end up conceding and losing the points.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough wrote on Sat, 07 March 2015 15:52
    Sounds like I am missing one of the best halves of football for some time .
    It's been OK. Lots of possession but not creating much. Bit boring overall.