+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can you cancel a cheque once its been cashed?

Can you cancel a cheque once its been cashed?

We gave £500 to a boiler fitter, deposit/towards boiler etc, and he then cancelled the day of installation saying boiler didnt show up. So I rang to check, and he said he would do it tomorrow. Havent heard anything all week, he hasnt asked for keys to get in, but when im trying to call now, his mobile says the mobile you have called is not available?

Now this guy is a friend of a family friend, so not sure what to do

Richyrich

Re: Can you cancel a cheque once its been cashed?

Have a word with family friend to sort him out.

Did family friend recommend him?

Yea, I dont want to jump to conclusions too soon, but not one reply to a text or kept us up to date. Ill phone them now and see if they can get hold of him.

If the cheque has been cashed - then it is between you and him.

You gave him a cheque and you say he has not done the work - but the bank does not know that - hence it's a civil matter between you and him.

Find out where he is and get an answer - maybe perfectly legit reason.

If not then let everyone know his name on here and hopefully he wont rip any of us off.

ps - you should have bought the boiler yourself , had it delivered and just paid him to fit / replace.

Makes sense I suppose. I know and thats what I was going to do, but as he is a family friend, I may have made a stupid mistake. Although like you said, at the moment could be legit. I just wanted to see if I could stop the payment as a chance you him to contact me. Cheers though

Quote Originally Posted by Rumney-Coleman wrote on Tue, 10 March 2015 16:54
    Makes sense I suppose. I know and thats what I was going to do, but as he is a family friend, I may have made a stupid mistake. Although like you said, at the moment could be legit. I just wanted to see if I could stop the payment as a chance you him to contact me. Cheers though
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070tc5

If you don't get anywhere, then find out where he lives, if you get no joy tell him that you are going to report him to the police for fraud, this then becomes a criminal matter, taking money under false pretences/fraud, I had the problem a few years ago, the guy couldn't get his wallet open fast enough

is he gas safe registered
    he should be
    I would contact gas safe see what they say
    http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/