+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why is there xenophobia?

Why is there xenophobia?

Okay so as there is the EU referendum, ppl wanna leave due to immigration. Why? Is it because of the inner racism? The idea that people should not share our opportunities?

I mean with the tweets in response to a Sky News article bout a ship, ppl were like "drown em". How did they get that view? Was it the media? Why is the media allowed to incite hate? It is cos the govt dont care?

Re: Why is there xenophobia?

Because that was the official government line?

Channel 4 news went to an area where there was a massive divide between immigrants and Brits and asked why there was such a problem; both sides (basically) said they had a right to be there and therefore a right not to have to make an effort to integrate.

It might be an idea to control where immigrants originally settle once they're in the country. Different areas have different needs and some areas struggle to handle it's existing population let alone competition for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 21:49
    Tbf Channel 4 are showing a minority. Most immigrants integrate into British culture, some Brits do - fair play. However there are areas eg East London in which white ppl left and call no go areas, ghettos etc. That pisses me off. I mean some people think that just because I am brown, I bite. I dont

There is a fear - rightly , wrongly or partly - that Britain is on the bones of its ar$e (we are all told about the difficult times we may have to share because of 'austerity').

During these times 'we' see (or, rather, we are shown) floods of people coming into the country - people that seemingly cannot contribute, only hold hand out.
    Or , if they can contribute, then they will possibly be in contention for the kind of jobs that people now hope will be available for their own kids / kin.

Its not a big leap from that fear, angst, whipped up frustration - to xenophobia.
    Someone must be 'blamed' Someone must be feared.

Especially when the likes of the Daily Mail / Express etc are stirring it up daily.

All that said, the situation is ridiculous, unsustainable and heading for some kind of crisis point.

Feedback

@Vimana

4m people voted ukip which is 10% of the electorate or so???

So these are very real concerns facing people whether you agree with them or not?

Incidentally, I'm pro Europe and really hope for a landslide yes vote. I'd like to see benefits and welfare follow the USA model whereby the taxes are paid to the EU and benefits/welfare paid out is equal right across the eu. Of course this would mean our own benefits/welfare bill would probably rise in the uk as well as the amounts received on average in the uk falling, but I can't see what arguments anyone can have from harmonising wealth distribution within the EU.

The xenophobia is due to misinformation by the media. Yet the media is not regulated? Does that show they do not care about ethnic minorities?

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 22:43
    @Vimana
    Whether we choose to like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 22:48
    The xenophobia is due to misinformation by the media. Yet the media is not regulated? Does that show they do not care about ethnic minorities?
    And who is making / in charge of these definitions?

@Vimana
    But it is hard, if you try and debate the issues or challenge a view then the Farageisms come flooding out. 'They only come for the handouts/free treatment/take jobs off us', 'What about those [insert race everyone is for some reason allowed to hate here e.g. Romanians, Somalians]???'. How can you talk to this person without telling them they are a complete moron?

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 23:22
    Interesting question.
    Primarily they care about selling papers and retaining their status.

Interesting question.
    Also does the government not care about minorities?

I don't give a shit what colour people are, all I ask is that if they want to live in a foreign country, be that Britain, USA or outer Mongolia, they abide by the laws of that country and adopt that country's culture and way of life.
    e.g Don't move to Spain to live then complain about bullfights, don't move to the USA and moan about how much medical care costs, don't move to Iran and whinge that you can't have a pint of 'bow.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 23:31
    Interesting question.
    Possibly a whole topic by itself : 'Does the British Tabloid press 'care' about minorities'? ..
    Its a bit like Cardiff city getting best away fan award for a couple of years whilst they couldnt give too hoots about the home fans. Eventually there will be a backash by the majority, as they ask what about us.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Tue, 09 June 2015 11:34
    Interesting question.
    Possibly a whole topic by itself : 'Does the British Tabloid press 'care' about minorities'? ..
    Another interesting question might be: what / who do we consider to be 'a minority' in 2015 Britain?
    Do you think that was a perceived reality or a fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman wrote on Tue, 09 June 2015 11:42
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Tue, 09 June 2015 11:34
    Interesting question.
    Another interesting question might be: what / who do we consider to be 'a minority' in 2015 Britain?
    And who is making / in charge of these definitions?
    My personal view is that immigration should come down to let the country catch up. Get that understanding of what it is to be British back, as its not clear these days. And I think its that lack of clarity of what it is to be British is what is causing the problems.

@Vimana
    I think quite a few of those UKIP supporters would be a bit narked off with benefits falling in this country too

Feedback

I don't think their is migration due to benefits either. I think it's bollocks. By equalising benefits across the eu would dispel that myth

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 21:56
    Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Mon, 08 June 2015 21:49
    Channel 4 news went to an area where there was a massive divide between immigrants and Brits and asked why there was such a problem; both sides (basically) said they had a right to be there and therefore a right not to have to make an effort to integrate.
    Methinks you're confusing xenophobia with out and out racism there