+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £600 million allocation for South Wales Metro.

£600 million allocation for South Wales Metro.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/up-600m- confirmed-next-phase-9552029

Anyone know if the plans to build a station in Fairwater/Pentrebane on the reopened line to Creigiau have been abandoned? There's no new station on the map - speaking as someone who lives nearby, that was just about the only worthwhile thing about the whole LDP for this area. If all of those new houses are built, it's going to be gridlock in North West Cardiff, but a station close by which delivered a regular service into central Cardiff may have helped to ease things a bit.

Feedback

Re: £600 million allocation for South Wales Metro.

It doesn't read as entirely new money - only 300m extra being committed to. However, whichever way you look at this this is good news and a step in the right direction. Well done Edwina, lets hope this can be carried through

I thought the Metro was free.
    Well, I've never paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 08:19
    I thought the Metro was free.
    This can't happen soon enough. Transport from the valleys towns into the Cities of Cardiff and Newport is a joke and, like it or not, is an obstacle for working opportunities for those people who can't afford cars.

Make no mistake, this investment is critical to the future prosperity of Cardiff, but also the Valleys.

If you can get into Cardiff quicker, it could transform a lot of valleys communities

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 08:07
    I have heard, but I don't know if it is true, that compulsory purchase orders are being made on houses that will have to be demolished to re-open the line to Creigiau. The map in the article was a guess at what it might be like, I wouldn't take it as accurate. If the line is re-opened then there is bound to be a station for the new houses, it would just be a matter of when. You might have to walk to Fairwater for awhile

Am I being naive, but £600 million doesn't sound like a great deal of money for a project of this scale?

What did it cost to build St Davids 2?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 11:22
    Am I being naive, but £600 million doesn't sound like a great deal of money for a project of this scale?
    Also, not sure if they plan on re-investing cash from the currently profitable routes (Ebbw Vale line for example).

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 11:22
    £600m for the next phase, not for the total project

This is great news for SE Wales, and Wales in general.
    I hope the eventual fare structure will make it increasingly viable for more people all over the area to travel to jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 12:12
    They'll have no choice other than to make it affordable. Anything else in an area that is not affluent would see it fail.

Looks like a muddle, halfway house nonsense that will not work in a month of sundays. Need to pick one option, such a tram system fully found it and get started asap. Problem is 600m wouldn't even cover 1/10th of it, which is why the plan looks like a load of shite.

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 13:20
    Looks like a muddle, halfway house nonsense that will not work in a month of sundays. Need to pick one option, such a tram system fully found it and get started asap. Problem is 600m wouldn't even cover 1/10th of it, which is why the plan looks like a load of shite.
    don't be so daft.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 12:46
    I hope the eventual fare structure will make it increasingly viable for more people all over the area to travel to jobs.
    once the unions get involved in setting wage levels it will become unaffordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy Thornhill wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 13:37
    They'll have no choice other than to make it affordable. Anything else in an area that is not affluent would see it fail.
    don't be so daft.

I agree. Selfish bloody unions, negotiating pay and conditions that their members are able to live on. It's a scandal etc

Banned

Waste of money unless it's going to run 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy Thornhill wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 13:36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pug wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 13:20
    don't be so daft.
    Have a look how much the tram system in Edinburgh cost. That was just a few lines within the city. It cost so much, well over a billion, that that cut line to Leith. 600 million wouldn't fund a load of all knackered British Rail trains from the seventies never mind an integrated transport system for Cardiff and the Valleys. Its a mickey mouse effort.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 11:16
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/up-600m- confirmed-next-phase-9552029
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 08:07
    Anyone know if the plans to build a station in Fairwater/Pentrebane on the reopened line to Creigiau have been abandoned? There's no new station on the map - speaking as someone who lives nearby, that was just about the only worthwhile thing about the whole LDP for this area. If all of those new houses are built, it's going to be gridlock in North West Cardiff, but a station close by which delivered a regular service into central Cardiff may have helped to ease things a bit.
    I think you are right about having to wait and I'm beginning to think that, if and when it comes, the station will be a fair bit further up the line towards Creigiau. There was talk about a new station to be called Keyston which would be not too far from where the new track would leave the present one, but that seems daft to me because that would mean there'd be four stations within no more than a mile of each other.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 13:55
    once the unions get involved in setting wage levels it will become unaffordable.
    the point being is that rail system needs money spent on it and its not going to be the best system it can be if most of the funds are taken up in wages. there needs to be a happy medium

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy Thornhill wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 15:45
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 13:55
    I agree. Selfish bloody unions, negotiating pay and conditions that their members are able to live on. It's a scandal etc
    Look, I'm all for a new metro system for Cardiff and the surrounding areas for the economic benefits it'll bring - although the plans unveiled thus far are a little uninspiring. But, why can't we have a decent transport network and one that also pays those employed to run it a wage that they can actually live on? These things are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 15:23
    I have heard, but I don't know if it is true, that compulsory purchase orders are being made on houses that will have to be demolished to re-open the line to Creigiau. The map in the article was a guess at what it might be like, I wouldn't take it as accurate. If the line is re-opened then there is bound to be a station for the new houses, it would just be a matter of when. You might have to walk to Fairwater for awhile
    I live on Danescourt, I guess we'll be stuck with our two trains an hour and no shiny new trams

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 16:11
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 15:23
    Thanks, Fairwater and Danescourt stations are both about twenty minutes walk away from where I live, so I tend to park at Radyr where there are so many more trains running.
    In fairness two trains an hour from Danescourt which are in the main empty doesn't really suggest Danescourt needs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 17:12
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardM wrote on Tue, 30 June 2015 16:11
    Thanks, Fairwater and Danescourt stations are both about twenty minutes walk away from where I live, so I tend to park at Radyr where there are so many more trains running.
    I think you are right about having to wait and I'm beginning to think that, if and when it comes, the station will be a fair bit further up the line towards Creigiau. There was talk about a new station to be called Keyston which would be not too far from where the new track would leave the present one, but that seems daft to me because that would mean there'd be four stations within no more than a mile of each other.
    true, but it would be nice if they were shiny new trams, may be smaller and cheaper to run than trains