+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did your doctor get their degree

Where did your doctor get their degree

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33502534

How the hell can a Sudanese medical degree get you a job in the UK anyway. What an absolute shambles.

Re: Where did your doctor get their degree

Do you think humans in Sudan have different colour blood or something? The article says he was brought up in the UK and "He started his medical studies at the University of Medical Sciences and Technology (UMST) in Khartoum in 2008, graduating in 2013" it doesn't say he has practice medicine in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Why do they refer to it as "practising medicine"?
    I don't want some bloke practising on me.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 07:25
    You are clearly not a practising lexicographer, you should practice with grammar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 07:54
    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 07:25
    I don't want some bloke practising on me.
    I may be wrong, but I think you've had a little mare here

nope dont think so but wouldnt rule it out

your both rong

What's the difference between a Sudanese Dr qualification and a UK Dr qualification

If they are the same - or better (and they can speak English to a fluent level) then no problem.

This sign was seen at the UHW, Cardiff :

i was trying to spot whether the "i before e" issue was the problem till i realised the joke

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 10:04
    i was trying to spot whether the "i before e" issue was the problem till i realised the joke
    Bring bak proppa edewkashun!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 07:19
    Do you think humans in Sudan have different colour blood or something? The article says he was brought up in the UK and "He started his medical studies at the University of Medical Sciences and Technology (UMST) in Khartoum in 2008, graduating in 2013" it doesn't say he has practice medicine in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.
    I'd imagine the blood is the same. I'd also imagine the education system is rather different aswell. How does the NHS check the validity of degrees or training programmes. I think it's disgraceful personally.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinNugentsHead wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 07:03
    Dr Shipman got his degree from Ol' Blighty.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinNugentsHead wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 12:55
    I'd imagine the blood is the same. I'd also imagine the education system is rather different aswell. How does the NHS check the validity of degrees or training programmes. I think it's disgraceful personally.
    In what ways is the Sudanese education system inferior to the British? You must, obviously, know because you have labelled it disgraceful. Why is a Sudanese doctor inferior to one trained in the UK?

By the way, what is it that you think is disgraceful?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 13:09
    Was gonna mention this. From what I heard the test is hard

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 09:45
    This sign was seen at the UHW, Cardiff :

Now there probably is a level of personal bitterness involved too. The competition for medicine is tough, I'm sitting on a first class natural science degree and can't get on a grad medicine course. The reason for that is simple, there's a lot of better candidates than myself. I do believe however that with this massive pool of people trying for the job, its a bit of a pisstake to have a backdoor like this in place. I would be hugely surprised if the regulation and teaching is as high in Sudan as here, its a country that is generally held up as a pariah state. Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by kevinNugentsHead wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 19:15
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-who-you-are/internat ional-healthcare-professionals/information-for-overseas-doct ors/
    This might help you. But don't forget there was nothing in the original article that said the person referred to has worked as a doctor in the UK.
    But to be a doctor here, he has to pass the PLAB, which is tough (apparently). Surely that shows that all doctors here have to be competent

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 19:25
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-who-you-are/internat ional-healthcare-professionals/information-for-overseas-doct ors/
    This might help you. But don't forget there was nothing in the original article that said the person referred to has worked as a doctor in the UK.
    By the way, what is it that you think is disgraceful?
    Maybe, I'm really not qualified to make a definitive answer on that. I don't know if I'd ever trust a day or two of testing over 5 years of degree in an accredited university. Most exams/tests can be prepared for

How do you know where your Doctor got his or her degree ?

I looked at my surgery's website and although it said
    their qualifications it didn't say where they got them from.

Do you know anyone with a Sudanese medical degree working as a doctor in the NHS? Did you read any of the information about the checks on doctors with qualifications from abroad wanting to work in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 19:50
    How do you know where your Doctor got his or her degree ?
    I googled mine and for all of the doctors there is showed where and when they got their qualifications, all were UWCM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 10:04
    You're not the only one ... I even checked the Cambridge Online Dictionary.

A backstreet printing shop in the middle of Calcutta.