+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition calls for game against Israelis to be cancelled

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Petition calls for game against Israelis to be cancelled

Israel's hard right government go to extraordinary lengths to prevent Palestinian footballers from representing their national team and there are numerous other limitations imposed on Palestinian club sides in the region.

Against that backdrop, Cardiff City withdrawing from this friendly would be the wisest move as sporting boycotts can have a really big impact as part of a wider programme of sanctions against rogue states. And a rogue state is, I'm afraid, what Israel currently is under it's present extremism government.

Maybe the FAW should call off the game against Israel next season and forfeit the points we got against them?

Just saying but what's the difference if we go ahead with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 11:54
    Maybe the FAW should call off the game against Israel next season and forfeit the points we got against them?
    I do appreciate though that the whole sport/politics thing is a complex argument riven with contradictions

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 12:11
    anyway I'm off to read the Daily mail (joke joke )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Abed

Sorry cant have your cake and eat it. Stopping a meaningless friendly that hardly anybody will see is pointless. If things are going to change it has to be pressure on the National side, boycotting of thier games, protests etc. Of course that will not get backed or called for in Wales currently as they happen to be in our group and we have taken 3 points for them. It may have had more support if we had lost!!!

no message

I would have thought a rogue state is Libya, Syria, Somalia, Yemen or North Korea rather than Israel.

Unless you dont like Israel and Israelis etc - in which case , maybe we should pull out of the competition - who wants to be in the same competition as Israel.

Better still organise a friendly between Cardiff and Palestine - over to you Alfie

Let me just say the Israeli govt are over zealous bunch of prick when it comes to the Palestinian civilians.

Signed

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 11:59
    Signed

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby_The_Bhoy wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 12:01
    Signed
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 11:59

Another bit of Joo Bashing,

Get stuck in lads, it's a free for all, be abusive as possible
    Agenda CCMB

I'm expecting an empty stadium when Wales play Israel

Although, I do note Alfie, is already differentiating the circumstances, strange that like, init.

A petition to stop the Wales game anyone?, I'll sign both

BTW i think it's another stupid decision by the club to take this game but the way the club has been run in recent years it's not a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by heath/ccfc wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 13:51

Quote Originally Posted by heath/ccfc wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 13:51
    That'll be cos' the circumstances are very different. City have chosen to play this game, Wales didn't and don't really have an option as Israel have yet to be kicked into the international sporting long grass.

The Israeli people we met in tel Aviv were amazing. Friendly, welcoming, and absolutely drop dead beautiful in the case of lots of the women . I'm not a big fan of this petition. I realise that the vast majority of people signing this will be people who don't like israel's military actions. But I also firmly believe that the wider BDS movement is nothing but a front for a quite nasty bunch of people who'd like to see israeli's/Jews wiped off the map. Really quite disappointed to see this if I'm honest.

Fuss about ferk all in the real world.

Still if this sort of nonsense is what gets your rocks off ......then go get a life.

Sanctimonious. One word that sums petitions of this ilk and people who believe in its actions.

We have arranged to play a game of football. The supporters of Ironi are football fans just like us. Why should government actions prevent unaffiliated civilians from enjoying a game of footie?

People who make such a trivial effort at "making a difference in the world" need to make better use of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 22:30
    It is another own goal though, and does nothing to improve the reputation of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 22:58
    In the interests of balance there's also a petition to make sure the game goes ahead... https://www.change.org/p/cardiff-city-football-club-ignore-c alls-to-cancel-a-friendly-football-match-versus-ironi-kiryat -shemona-fc-do-not-let-sport-become-politicised?just_created =true
    I assume the North West Friends of Israel are an organisation that campaigns and lobbies for and on behalf of the State of Israel - not its Football Association or individual clubs.
    Superb post

Banned

In the interests of balance there's also a petition to make sure the game goes ahead... https://www.change.org/p/cardiff-city-football-club-ignore-c alls-to-cancel-a-friendly-football-match-versus-ironi-kiryat -shemona-fc-do-not-let-sport-become-politicised?just_created =true
    Sport and politics are always connected - usually in the form of governments or government agencies suppressing people's free enjoyment of sport -
    Any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 23:21
    Sport and politics are always connected - usually in the form of governments or government agencies suppressing people's free enjoyment of sport -
    Any examples?
    The daily impact of politics on sport are endless. Laws, regulations (from health and safety to gender mixing in teams), funding, infrastructure, the cultural norms promoted by governments/parties. the influence or direction of the media, all the way through to general economic policy and whether - all other factors aside - Joe or Jane Public can afford to participate in sports at a level beyond 'jumpers for goalposts in the back alley'.