Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 14:00
I think you need to read my post again. I'm not disagreeing that private sector firms have made great efficiencies since the crash. What I said was that this culture existed pre crash. In other words, the culture to drive efficiency was there before the crash happened.
Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 12:38
Maybe so, but not just in the private sector.
Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 12:00
Many parts of the public sector have had a long-standing efficiency culture (as Archie has pointed out in previous posts). It isn't driven by the same mechanisms as in the private sector, but it has been there.
Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 11:17
I know you don't like sweeping claims on behalf of whole sectors or industries (and you would never do that!) but from my personal experience local government services were actively seeking major efficiency savings from the 1980s onwards - the eras of Compulsory Competetive Tendering, through the Best Value Reviews of the late 1990s, and into the period of Audit Commission Inspections (mainly through the 2000s until the Con-Dems abolished the commission and its inspectorates). Add to that the Annual Efficiency Statements required of local authorities.
I've always said that, no matter what impression the lunatics on the left may think (I'm not including you in that, you're quite a sensible poster)